• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diesel/exhaust Smell

Magnum

It does. then you have to select the DPF cleaning mode and let the engine run on its own till its done. takes about 15 mins. and a very ugly sight with lotsa black smoke and bad smells.

when they first came out our local "aiyas" thought it was something wrong with the filter and opened it up and emptied the filtering material ruining the entire system

Jadeyblitzen is correct...it is very important which method you select for the Diesel Particulate filter DPF clean up. My advice is onboard selection is there to limp to safe and not running.Im not sure what Hiace got.Further there are many DPF variants, if you dont go to the correct place for the clean up,might end up ruining the entire exhaust management programme. The same will happen if you opt to completely remove.Visit a competent technician/ engineer and be a pro Green .

MINIACE

It does. then you have to select the DPF cleaning mode and let the engine run on its own till its done. takes about 15 mins. and a very ugly sight with lotsa black smoke and bad smells.

I don't get it. So this vehicle comes with a diesel particle filter installed to trap the exhaust contaminants and once it needs cleaning, the solution is to then burn everything off the filter material via a self cleaning cycle / mode? Okay, so how is that any better for the environment?

I don't get it. So this vehicle comes with a diesel particle filter installed to trap the exhaust contaminants and once it needs cleaning, the solution is to then burn everything off the filter material via a self cleaning cycle / mode? Okay, so how is that any better for the environment?

suppose its good for marketing purposes :P

on a side note... i suppose one can hook one of these up even if the vehicle wasn't originally equipped with one.

from what little i read online...occasionally driving over 40miles per hour should automatically clean this things up

Edited by Ripper

Jadeyblitzen is correct...it is very important which method you select for the Diesel Particulate filter DPF clean up. My advice is onboard selection is there to limp to safe and not running.Im not sure what Hiace got.Further there are many DPF variants, if you dont go to the correct place for the clean up,might end up ruining the entire exhaust management programme. The same will happen if you opt to completely remove.Visit a competent technician/ engineer and be a pro Green .

MINIACE

I don't get the cleaning part. Do these DPFs come with a cleaning option in the vehicle itself without taking to a technician? I dont think i found any button in the van that cleans the DPF system.

and what happens if you dont clean it?

suppose its good for marketing purposes :P

on a side note... i suppose one can hook one of these up even if the vehicle wasn't originally equipped with one.

from what little i read online...occasionally driving over 40miles per hour should automatically clean this things up

how does that happen?

Edited by Magnum

Whatever helps them sleep at night

I don't get the cleaning part. Do these DPFs come with a cleaning option in the vehicle itself without taking to a technician? I dont think i found any button in the van that cleans the DPF system.

Don't know how it works in the Hiace but there should be a switch with a similar acronym I guess. I was referring to a system in a new vanette earlier.

If you don't clean it, it'll get clogged up and you'll get restricted performance, I'm guessing with a warning on the dash

Ripper, on 28 November 2011 - 10:56 AM, said: suppose its good for marketing purposes :P

how does that happen?

according to passive regeneration it does:

Passive regeneration

Passive regeneration takes place automatically on motorway-type runs when the exhaust temperature is high. Because many cars don't get this sort of use car manufacturers have to design-in 'active' regeneration where the engine management computer (ECU) takes control of the process.

Active regeneration

dpf-warning-light.jpg When the soot loading in the filter reaches a set limit (about 45%) the ECU can make small adjustments to the fuel injection timing to increase the exhaust temperature and initiate regeneration. If the journey is a bit stop/start the regeneration may not complete and the warning light will come on to show that the filter is partially blocked.

It should be possible to start a complete regeneration and clear the warning light by driving for 10 minutes or so at speeds greater than 40mph.

If you ignore the warning light and keep driving in a relatively slow, stop/start pattern soot loading will continue to build up until around 75% when you can expect to see other dashboard warning lights come on too. At this point driving at speed alone will not be enough and you will have to take the car to a dealer for regeneration.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

Whatever helps them sleep at night

Don't know how it works in the Hiace but there should be a switch with a similar acronym I guess. I was referring to a system in a new vanette earlier.

If you don't clean it, it'll get clogged up and you'll get restricted performance, I'm guessing with a warning on the dash

Does the exhaust throw out black color stuff (think its soot) when you are cleaning it using a switch?

how does that happen?

Edited by Kavvz

Jadey machan in my Korando there is no switch and the it automatically does the cleaning process once in a about 2-3 days Producing some White Smoke for about 5-10 Minutes, and this White smoke can only be seen on idle and if the cleaning process takes place while Cruising cant see any .

more than an old tata does

oh okay! one of my cousin has 2 Hiaces, one KDH206 and other KDH211, the KDH211 has a switch to clean the DPF system, i saw him once pressing a some button and then the van started throwing out black stuff out of the exhaust. I asked him whether the KDH206 also has the switch but he says it doesn't, is it possible to get the switch cleaning system fixed to a van which doesnt have the switch?

and how often should you clean it?

oh okay! one of my cousin has 2 Hiaces, one KDH206 and other KDH211, the KDH211 has a switch to clean the DPF system, i saw him once pressing a some button and then the van started throwing out black stuff out of the exhaust. I asked him whether the KDH206 also has the switch but he says it doesn't, is it possible to get the switch cleaning system fixed to a van which doesnt have the switch?

and how often should you clean it?

Yep.. you can get it fixed from Toyota Lanka. They get down these switches once you place an order, its pretty expensive though.

Yep.. you can get it fixed from Toyota Lanka. They get down these switches once you place an order, its pretty expensive though.

oh so you'll be able to get it fixed in Japan as well before bringing the van down here