• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Bogs Down At High Speed

GayanR

Question

hi Guys i have a FB14 automatic with a GA15DE engine.Recently i have this very annoying problem, This only happens when going outstations or hill climbing under load.(after like 1 hour of driving) At about 80kmh car would bog down its like engine pausing and stops accelerating (car doesnt stall).If i press the accelerator very hard car would accelarate realy slowly.But after like 5 min of hard accelarating car will come to normal like a jump.Then it behaves normal till the end of the trip.This happens mostly on when on overdrive and when underload car looses power noticeably.And fuel consumption is also realy bad on oustations its doing same as it does on city....like 9kml.Even without load car accelerates slowly when it engages onto overdrive.

I did tune ups recently and all filters are new.

10 answers to this question

Faulty TPS Sensor maybe ?? Do you get the check engine light when your car bogs down?

no engine light doesnt come up.I forgot to say i did a ecu scan and got a crank angle sensor error code recently,it was due to a bad o ring.and it went away.DO you think my distributor is failing.if so why its happening only when im in overdrive

Your distributor is on its way out. Change it with a good one and your problem will be sorted. Most probably your car wont start one of these days.

tanx for the input.i'll change it and see.I like to know why it happens only at certain times.my car idle perfectly.And garages here refuse to change it on mine.because they say if it fails the car would stall.

Most of the time it doesnt fail at once. These are the signs of it malfunctioning at certain speeds. Once the spin rate passes it will work again, until one fine day it decides to stop completely. Make sure u find the right distributor and that its in good order. Make sure u also get it installed right and in some care u can flop the timing if u put it in wrong. So make sure the new one goes exactly on the same splines that the old one came out or else u will have wrong timing. Change this and see. You will have the solution to your problem. Good luck

• Like 1

Sorry had a few mistakes in the previous one so i have corrected it.

Most of the time it doesnt fail at once. These are the signs of it malfunctioning at certain speeds. Once the spin rate passes it will work again, until one fine day it decides to stop completely. Make sure u find the right distributor and that its in good order. Make sure u also get it installed right and in some cars u can flop the timing if u put it in wrong. So make sure the new one goes exactly on the same splines and same position that the old one came out or else u will have wrong timing. Change this and see. You will have the solution to your problem. Good luck

Most of the time it doesnt fail at once. These are the signs of it malfunctioning at certain speeds. Once the spin rate passes it will work again, until one fine day it decides to stop completely. Make sure u find the right distributor and that its in good order. Make sure u also get it installed right and in some care u can flop the timing if u put it in wrong. So make sure the new one goes exactly on the same splines that the old one came out or else u will have wrong timing. Change this and see. You will have the solution to your problem. Good luck

Tanx a lot!!