• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Who's In Charge...?

Cruiserhead

Hi everybody.

I thought of starting this topic 'cos of the contravasy a certain Law enforcement department and it's actions against people who use vehicles.

Jeeps, Cabs and other recriational vehicles have been the target of this group. It is not understood by the innocent user as to what the offence is. I am refering to the use of after market Bull bars, Rear bumpers, Fog lights etc. Recently on a popular news channel, they have commented that such items used will be considered as offencive and fined if found.

The law as I understant is (Gazzetted) states that "No fence or bar may be fitted in front of the head lights and that no such bumper or extension exceeds 2" from the original body spec." this I agree. but according to this statement a person can fit whats known as a A bar which does not interfere with the headlights.

I have had several people talking to me about this and recenlty a person known to a friend of mine had been stoped by one of these officers and had wanted him to remove the Rear Bumber, and until such time his Driving licence and the revenue licence have been take. The Gazzette does not say that rear bumpers are offending items.

My simplest questiones are:

1. Who makes these laws?

2. Have they tested or carried out extensive trials to say that these bumbers are actualy dangerous?

3. Who decides what and what not to remove from these vehicles?

4. Can such officers take the law and ammend it as and when they please?

I would like a learnerd person to enlighten me and my other collegue, who are mistreated as the Law is not transperant enough.

Disclaimer: Any remarkes made in this comment are not directly directed at any singular person and therefore does not constitute as defermation.

:laughing-smiley-007:

Idiots machan

Idiots makes these laws.

If you take a ratio of a person who dies from jeep accident with a bull bar fitted and a Leyland bus its almost like a 100000/1( jeep ).

This goes same for registering over capacity bikes. Sri Lanka should wake up.

Either they should buy better bikes for the cops or let other people at least buy 1000cc bikes to enjoy a sunday stroll.

Same goes for jeeps. People need to wake up that we are living in modern world and not 16th century. Otherwise you will see the best of the brains in Sri Lanka Living overseas because of scumbags who try to think they are trying to make bloody important laws.

:violent-smiley-099: POLITICIANS = :laughing-smiley-007: ( GENERAL PUBLIC )

Disclaimer: Any remarkes made in this comment are directly directed at POLICTICIANS and therefore does constitute as defamation. I dont care WTF !!!

1. Who makes these laws? :angry-smiley-048: IDIOTS

2. Have they tested or carried out extensive trials to say that these bumbers are actualy dangerous? R U MAD MACHAN. DO THEY EVEN CARRY OUT TEST ON POLITICIANS TO SEE IF THEY HAVE BRAINS HAVE PROPER QUALIFICATIONS TO GOVERN A COUNTRY.

3. Who decides what and what not to remove from these vehicles? BOTTLE OF GAL ARRACK AND THEN THEY MAKE DECSIONS BASED ON THAT.

4. Can such officers take the law and ammend it as and when they please? YES THEY DO IT UNLESS YOU STUDY LAW AND BE LAWYER AND TAKE EACH EVERY GAZZETT IN THE JEEP.

DID YOU KNOW FOR HIGH SPEED STOPS that three offices have to be there including 1 SI Present at the Time and they cannot catch more 10 speeding cars at any give Time.

Now is this true or Not ?

This goes same for registering over capacity bikes. Sri Lanka should wake up.

Either they should buy better bikes for the cops or let other people at least buy 1000cc bikes to enjoy a sunday stroll.

haha dims wats this talk abt high capacity bikes ahhh???

thats true;

stupid politikko

:violent-smiley-099: (politikko)

i dont know whether their montero's included into this category

What an ironiocal truth!

But guys we cant blame politicians for these laws… they don’t exactly ‘make them’…

From what I know (and I think can safely say that I know a bit more than the average person) about the legal system, when it comes to the traffic laws the police (and maybe some special committees ) make the laws, and sent them over to their respective minister.. they just pass it…

So if the law says “bumper cant be more than 2 inches ahead of the lights”, the politicians didn’t write it.. the cops did…

What an ironiocal truth!

But guys we cant blame politicians for these laws… they don’t exactly ‘make them’…

From what I know (and I think can safely say that I know a bit more than the average person) about the legal system, when it comes to the traffic laws the police (and maybe some special committees ) make the laws, and sent them over to their respective minister.. they just pass it…

So if the law says “bumper cant be more than 2 inches ahead of the lights”, the politicians didn’t write it.. the cops did…

Most of the time just one or few people with very limited knowledge about outside world must be making the proposals. They dont have stats to back it up or test results to prove these rules are right thing to bring in.

To make things worse politicos are utter idiots on one side and they dont give a damn on the other side as laws are not enforced on them or their henchmen. They pass whatever comes in. So no point making arguments.

There is a scientific fact about front bull bars for vehicle vs pedestrian accidents. Vehicle vs pedestrian accident crumple zones etc are now being designed for late model vehicles. But where is this rear tow bar thing coming from.

Anyway how do u compare a huge Leyland bus heavy as a freight train driven by a drunken maniac through vehicle and pedestrian traffic to a bull bar on a jeep.

thing is this.

if somebody gets hit by a jeep at a 30 speed the damage mite be diff. AND if the same jeep hits a person with the BULL BAR - now that is very different.. even accidently at a very slow speed.

vehicles may be driven by 40% of sri lankan citizens..others use public transport, road crossings, roads, and etc.

i dunno.. just a comment.

We really dont need a bar other than the standard bumper for our daily driving vehicle on normal road otherwise you intend to crush 3wheers :blink: bars will not throw away the pedestrian in an accident but will break several bones as it hits . If you are off roading it's an essential part.

For the rear bumper, questions should come only if it exceeds some standard length of the vehicle, but I doubt our cops are smart to argue that extend

We really dont need a bar other than the standard bumper for our daily driving vehicle on normal road otherwise you intend to crush 3wheers :blink: bars will not throw away the pedestrian in an accident but will break several bones as it hits . If you are off roading it's an essential part.

For the rear bumper, questions should come only if it exceeds some standard length of the vehicle, but I doubt our cops are smart to argue that extend

fellas,

what we must remeber is the most autoaccisents accur while at or below 48 km\h, this is mainly because at that speed our minds and conscience feel that is ok to concentrate on other things as we feel sorta " overconfident" s, another statistic a pedestrain who gets hit by anything with or without a bull guard excepting a motorbike at speeds between 25km\h and 50km\h, has like a 20% chance of getting out of the hospital alive let alone 100% recovered...

so bullguard or not in colombo the speed limit is 50 and we drive like 30 whichever way if a pedestarin is dum enough to get hit by carelesness on his part or by carelessness on the drivers part, basically he is screwed anyway.... the risk increase with a bull bar is a fraction of what those dum ass cops make it to be.

besides most jeeps come standard with bullguard thesed days, mine had one from the factory and the first cop to tell me to take it off is gonna get smthing up his ass cause i cant remove it and i bloody well wont...

the cops in colombo are so full of shit its almost unbelivable, i once got a ticket when pulling out to galle road in a friends civiv the car stalled and it did not start. finally got it started and the cop in front pulls me over and gives me a ticket for obstructing traffic on the main road, i asked him whether he wanted me to csrry the car on my head, he said remeber to respect us (the cops) because they do a good job!!!!!!!!, shit i almost exploded in laughter.......

just go to show, the come up with unfounded baseless dumb reasons to get their quota of fines...... sheeeesh

We really dont need a bar other than the standard bumper for our daily driving vehicle on normal road otherwise you intend to crush 3wheers :D bars will not throw away the pedestrian in an accident but will break several bones as it hits . If you are off roading it's an essential part.

fellas,

what we must remeber is that most auto accidents involving pedestrains accur at or below a speed of 48 km\h, this is mainly because at that speed our minds and conscience feel that is ok to concentrate on other things as we feel sorta " overconfident" s, another statistic a pedestrain who gets hit by anything with or without a bull guard excepting a motorbike at speeds between 25km\h and 50km\h, has like a 20% chance of getting out of the hospital alive let alone 100% recovered...

so bullguard or not in colombo the speed limit is 50 and we drive like 30 whichever way if a pedestarin is dum enough to get hit by carelesness on his part or by carelessness on the drivers part, basically he is screwed anyway.... the risk increase with a bull bar is a fraction of what those dum ass cops make it to be.

besides most jeeps come standard with bullguard thesed days, mine had one from the factory and the first cop to tell me to take it off is gonna get smthing up his ass cause i cant remove it and i bloody well wont...

the cops in colombo are so full of shit its almost unbelivable, i once got a ticket when pulling out to galle road in a friends civiv the car stalled and it did not start. finally got it started and the cop in front pulls me over and gives me a ticket for obstructing traffic on the main road, i asked him whether he wanted me to csrry the car on my head, he said remeber to respect us (the cops) because they do a good job!!!!!!!!, shit i almost exploded in laughter.......

just goes to show, that they come up with unfounded, baseles,s dumb reasons to get their quota of fines...... sheeeesh....

Well!!! It seems as I have stired a hornets nest with this issue, will you guys be interested in putting all your resources and having a discussion or have a petition circulated getting the police to explain their actions and the ruling they make towards such accessories?

I thin we can get together and make this a common opportunity for all vehicle owners to get educated about the laws of this country.

Cheers

fellas,

I don’t agree. I would say a jeep with a rock hard bar would cause more damage than it’s with deformable stock bumpers. Jeeps and pickups carry more energy (carry more mass provided same velocity) than an ordinary car. It means, even at low speeds they can transfer significant amount of momentum towards the hitting object. You may see some modern face designs are more smooth and curved partly because of this reason.

Anyway, I’m not going to defend cops