• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

***crash Bar Law In Sri Lanka***

john cooper

Friends,

My question is fixing a original crash bar to the vehicle is restricted by the law in Sri Lanka or not???????

thank you

JC

i fixed a original crash bar to a LJ79 landcruiser about two 2yrs back and still the jeep runs with that, so far have not been an issue .

not sure about the legal part.

previous owner of my Space Gear had to remove the original crash bar because cops told him to - that was abt an year ago

it was the rare chrome plate one - not the white painted - and just my luck then it had got stolen from his garage :(

I'm combing the used parts yards to find a replacement, but will I be allowed to put that on?

My Bro in-law has a pajero mini. it had a cosmetic crash bar and this year Feb he was pulled over and requested to remove that. on that day i saw loot of cops pulling over vehicles with crash bars and requesting them to remove . i think if you are not doing hard core off roading the crash bars will not have any real value in a country like Sri Lanka. and mind you still the crash bar law is there. if one fine day cops feel like catching rides with carsh bar they will do so. allways remember this is "LAND LIKE NO OTHER " dont dump your money on a crash bar keep it for fuel B) . Im sure our expert members like Mini might be able to explain you the legal side of it :)

Edited by tharindu6

got the original fog lamps - 4 of them - PIAA - with the van

need the crash bar to put them on

hang on, cops don't like fog lamps also do they? is there a LAW against additional illumination as well?

Edited by HardHat

and if one gets "requested" by the cops to remove a crashbar (or any other offending article for that matter), one is lucky

usually it goes like "this is a serious violation - we need to impound your car - surrender your driving license!! - we shall take you to court - put you in jail - nail your a$$ to the wall, etc, etc" isn't it?

land like no other indeed!

Edited by HardHat

Plastic/fiber crash bars (bumper guards) are ok ?

Law is only for steel ones?

errr... hate to bring this up boys but these "laws" sorta have a point innit??

having a steel crash bar is not the safest if you knock somebody else down... vehicle crumple zones are there also to reduce damage to other parties and the crash bar sorta voids it...

same goes for fogs since some morons tend to use em just to look cool... hell i've seen enough and more people driving with their fogs on in colombo even in well lit roads...

until the cops get a good enough system to deal with those few donkeys, and those donkeys also grow a bit of brains...all the decent drivers will have to suffer with a blanket ban...

Besides the coppers too need something too pull us over and make some moolah :lol:

As far as i know, fogs are ok under present law if they are mounted below the level of the headlights...

plastic/fibre bumper guards to are ok as far as i know...

I've seen fake metal look-alike rubber "crash bars" abroad... i think that sorta think adress the safety issue as well as the aesthetics :)

• 11 years later...

Dear mates, here we see generally opposed opinions regarding local legal aspects on fixing Crash Bar. 

Just one quiz, Imagine if anyone's  car was knocked to the rear end by a SUV with a Hard Metal Bumper??? What would be the damage status ???

So let's get into point. In the field of automobile modifications we all must have to consider two aspects,  legal and ethical validation. Before attending to any modification on any vehicle, it is essential to proof and conform with following four factors( In a case of accident)

1. Does this modification harm to other road users (Pedestrians, animals, other  vehicles and properties) ?

Eg. 

• Heavy metal bumpers, 
  • High Lumen external lights, 
  • Body panels with sharp edges,
  •  Louder horn 

etc

2. Does this modification will increase the injuries to the cabin passengers ?

Eg.

•  Internal decorative stainless steel fence, balls and sharp items of 3wheelers and busses
  • steel tv frames with sharp edges/ multi colour internal decorative lamps of busses etc

3. Does this modification block and make barriers to the driver’s visibility and maneuvering ? 

Eg. 

• Fixing items on dashboard & bonnet, 
  • Relocate right side mirror below than Eye Height of the driver(every mirrors locate by the manufacturer to view the mirrors while see the forward & close to eye height of the driver and to minimize blind spots),
  • Fix bar to the driver door (this will tend the driver to drive with single left hand and make difficult to turn left side in an emergency especially for busses and trucks)  
  • Fix the radio box above to the brake paddle of the 3wheelers. 
  • Tint driver cabin side doors (this reduces the internal lighting of the driver cabin and pedestrians unable to see the driver while crossing the road).
  • Oversize tires( make difficult to maneuver and indicate wrong vehicle speed)
  • No front close view mirror / ball mirror( specially with Indian heavy vehicles)

4. Does this modification comply with the vehicle construction regulations of the Motor Traffic Act, Sri lanka ?

Eg.

• Different Body colour/ Full body sticker (this make difficult to identify specially when hit & run)
  • Change type of body ( this has issues with a type of body tax)
  • Change model of face lift ( Identification issue)
  • Swap engine with oversize cc( tax issue)

Then the vehicle owner should clearly answer and verify following simple self questions too prior to attending modifications. 

a. What is the reason to modify my vehicle (appearance/performance)?

b. What are the additional benefits I will gain, more than the present status ?

c. What are the side effects, may occurred to my vehicle due to the modification (mechanical/ electrical/performance/usage/durability/reliability/future maintenance costs) ?

d. How long will this modification last?

According to our field experience in accident investigations, mostly we have found the Hard Metal Bumpers(sometimes with sharp edges) surge the fatality while in the case of collisions. [ Once we examined a fatal accident that happened in Maharagama (In 2012), a Nissan Navara cab with Heavy Metal front bumper, knocked a pedestrian and hip born crushed to small particles.. But nothing any damage marked to the bumper]. 

VEHICLE DIMENSIONS

Here we mention some less known important vehicle construction regulations.

• Motor coaches and lorries with wheelbase over 250 cm , must have collapsible side protective rails.
  • Motor coach with passenger seats above 16 and lorries with Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) over 4000kgs must have front close view mirror(general term - Ball Mirror)

Class or description of motor vehicles                                                   millimeters

(a)Overall width of the motor vehicle (other than a motor coach)              2,500

(b) Overall width of the motor coach                                                             2,600

(c) Height of motor vehicle (other than a double decked motor coach)     3,800

(d)Height of a double decked motor coach                                                   4,600

(e) Overall length of motor vehicle with two axles other than a motor coach 10,000mm

(f) Overall length of motor vehicle with more than two axles                            11,000

(g) Overall length of motor coach (other than a heavy motor coach)               12,000

(h) Overall length of an articulated vehicle                                                         16,000

(i) Overall length of combination vehicle with one trailer                                   17,000

Maximum rear overhang of any vehicle (ROH) is 60% of the Wheel base (WB)

ROHmax = 60%WB

VEHICLE WEIGHT

Description of motor vehicles                                                         Kilograms

(i) Motor vehicle with a four wheeled rear axle                                      15,275

(ii) Motor vehicle with an eight wheeled dual rear axle                          21,300

GVW -GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT

ULW - UNLADEN WEIGHT (Empty Vehicle Weight)

PLW(CW) - PAYLOAD (carrying weight)

CW = GVW - ULW

Eg. Leyland Cargo 1616li tipper (3 cube tipper-300cu feet)

GVW = 15275 kgs

ULW = 6700 kgs

CW =  8500 kgs (this weight approximately equal to the weight of 225 cubic feet of sand), so generally most heavy trucks carrying over weights ( Eg. Tata 2518/Leyland 2518 are allowed 12000kgs(240cement sacks), but practically they carried 32500kgs (650 cement sacks); means excess 20500 kgs than recommended

This overload case is the main reason for road damage and heavy vehicle accidents causing poor braking efficiency.

MOTOR TRAFFIC ACT topics you can get through following link; https://www.srilankalaw.lk/Volume-V/motor-traffic-act.html

So, hope you all got some important clues. Share these facts among all of your friends. 

Best Regards.

Edited by chamara wimalachandra