• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New Number System ?

KMG

few points to note devaka, RMV started from GA- not because they have missed it out but to keep provision for re-register all existing vehicles (from 1 sri 1) Now don't ask me would that 6 letters suffice to accommodate all it's one of their crooked or proven wrong decisions. After K series, the next letter is L and is given to Motor lorries, M is already given for motor bikes (?), N is given for passenger vehicles aka buses and mini buses, and P is given for dual purpose vehicles and list goes on. Therefore, literally speaking, there aren't 15 letters left and so called consultants and experts in DMV, Sri Lanka are out there "thinking" of a system to accommodate this "sudden" issue. Ok, it's not a sudden issue but an issue due to lack of planning and lack of creativity in coming up with a last longing solution.

Search this forum and you will see how many blunders they've made in this whole registration thing.

Let's see which number series is remaining

A - F : reserved for the re-registration, even though it won't happen RMV will not issue them.

G, H, J : Mixed

K : Cars

L : Lorry, Single Cabs, Trailers and Ambulances

M, T, U, V, W : Motor bikes

N : Buses, Coaches

P : Dual Purpose, Double Cabs etc

Q, Y : Three Wheelers

R : 4 wheel tractors

S : Two wheel tractors

so the remaining series are I, O , X and Z.

I series ,O Series, X series weren't used when it was the logical series to be used,

(After H series when all vehicles were registered under one category, and O series were not used when introducing category based series even though both N and P were used, Same can be said of X as Three wheeler got Y instead of X )

So I think only remaining series is Z and motor bike series is moving very fast I think it'll be used by the middle of this year.

Edited by nissan_fan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

few points to note devaka, RMV started from GA- not because they have missed it out but to keep provision for re-register all existing vehicles (from 1 sri 1) Now don't ask me would that 6 letters suffice to accommodate all it's one of their crooked or proven wrong decisions. After K series, the next letter is L and is given to Motor lorries, M is already given for motor bikes (?), N is given for passenger vehicles aka buses and mini buses, and P is given for dual purpose vehicles and list goes on. Therefore, literally speaking, there aren't 15 letters left and so called consultants and experts in DMV, Sri Lanka are out there "thinking" of a system to accommodate this "sudden" issue. Ok, it's not a sudden issue but an issue due to lack of planning and lack of creativity in coming up with a last longing solution.

Search this forum and you will see how many blunders they've made in this whole registration thing.

Thanks Harshan for the details, I never knew they kept aside A-F to re-register older cars. Also I made a silly blunder on my calculation earlier by saying 150,000 for 15 letters. It should be rather 259,974 vehicles in the K-series alone or even any other letter for that matter. That means end of G,H,K and any other letter we would have over a million vehicles registered in a span of 10 years. It would double if we take mo-bikes and threewheelers I suppose. Also is it true with the introduction of the english letters they stopped issuing numbers that summed up to 13? Better known as ekathuwa 13 number.

Are you saying its a bad thing we have so many cars in our roads? Yes our road system may not be able to handle the load but look at the bright side of things. Peoples quality of life has increased by a certain degree. More cars on the road means more people can afford them. That's a good thing unless you are one of those people who would like only a niche group/segment of people to be car owners like in the 70s.

Let me clear my self up before you get too ahead of yourself.

In no means I am objecting the affordability of motor vehicles nor the so called increased quality of life. But that doesn't mean im going to enjoy sitting in traffic for hours trying to move five miles. The rate cars are getting imported are not impressive but staggering. So next time im stuck in traffic for hours which I often do on parliament road Ill try to think of it as an increased degree of quality of life.

And the comment I made about the UN and a development index on importing cars, was purely intended to an audience with a nerve called sense of humor.

Are we going to have new number system (vehicle registration from RMB) which consist of three english letteres in coming few weeks.

any ideas or facts .. .. .

Even if RMV does change the format, why bother wasting time thinking about it? you'll still need to register the new vehicle and simply follow the format in operation at that time...

Let's see which number series is remaining

A - F : reserved for the re-registration, even though it won't happen RMV will not issue them.

i don't think the a-f series was for re-registration. i think they skipped over these series as there are already registrations in existence for the old numbers such as EN-, CY- etc. on vintage cars.

i don't think the a-f series was for re-registration. i think they skipped over these series as there are already registrations in existence for the old numbers such as EN-, CY- etc. on vintage cars.

I clearly remember then head of RMV giving interview on SIRASA saying the A-F were for re-registering.

this system is really screwed up huh :lol: ! will be interesting to see 3 letter numbers. Because they will either have to make the plates larger or the font smaller! there goes uniformity! :violent-smiley-099:

The easiest way would be to scrap the province characters or the "-". Removing the former might make more sense, cos it really is a piece of redundant information. At least the "-" holds the fuel's character below it...

Does any one check UK numbering system ?

Or instead of using only numbers can not we use characters eg GG-ABC9

Good idea, we can have number plates such as "RE-TARD" for some people :action-smiley-060:

this system is really screwed up huh :lol: ! will be interesting to see 3 letter numbers. Because they will either have to make the plates larger or the font smaller! there goes uniformity! :violent-smiley-099:

Tthey increase the length of the no plate,

It will match suvs mercs.

Yet it will be more wider than the common maruti 800,

eg:- a person got hit by a 800 not exactly the car the numberplate which was going in the pavement :violent-smiley-030:

Kinda OT but has anybody changed from SP to WP or from any other Province to another recently? Since changing provinces require a new number plate, I just wanted to know the waiting period and the procedure etc.

I know it gets handled when you hand in the papers for the transfer - they charge extra for the new plates (clerk was explaining to the guy in front of me in the queue). I think it was 7500 or sth like that. not sure about how long it takes though, but I guess you just drive with the old ones until the new ones are ready? probably have to hand in the old ones when collecting them I guess

• 1 year later...

it was opportunity lost when RMV limited the number of letters to two and digits to four when they launched English number plates. They could have easily implemented a two letter-five digit or three letter-four digit system which could have lasted longer and mainatained consitency. But hey, should we be expecting any better from the pundits at our RMV?

• 3 months later...
From tommorow onwards, anyone willing to pay more... can obtain :sad-smiley-067:CAA for cars :speechless-smiley-003:

How much more?????