• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw X1 Vs 318D

kaushama

X1 vs 318D  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best buy?

• X1 sDrive 20D
    • 320D

Why do you think agents give you a warranty (2 years unlimited mileage for BMW's and 3 years unlimited mileage for Land Rovers). Isn't it obvious that they give you a warranty knowing that the cars wont break down. Even Toyota's and the so called Japanese cars breakdown, not just the European.

I Have a feeling that plenty of idiots will come back with "The reason Euro agents give long warranties in Sri Lanka is that they KNOW the vehicles will break down unlike the japanese vehicles which are best suited to our conditions blah blah blah"

That would be a typical Sri Lankan "expert" opinion.

I Have a feeling that plenty of idiots will come back with "The reason Euro agents give long warranties in Sri Lanka is that they KNOW the vehicles will break down unlike the japanese vehicles which are best suited to our conditions blah blah blah"

That would be a typical Sri Lankan "expert" opinion.

those very hypocrits go buy hybrids which no one knws jack abt

those very hypocrits go buy hybrids which no one knws jack abt

"Oh but the hybrids are JAPANESE, They are MUCH more suitable to sri lanka!"

Seriously though, if hybrid prices had dropped and there were only euro hybrids available we'd have far fewer people who'd have jumped on the bandwagon.

I saw a two page advert in the paper that we have a Ford agent again.

We do indeed. "Future Automobiles", showrooms at lipton circus right next to Unit#d Mot#rs. Heard the whole show was originally supposed to be run by Frontier but they couldnt come to a suitable agreement with Ford due to the Ford regional office stipulating some absurd conditions. So they decided not to proceed and Softlogic stepped in to do it instead.

The models there are mostly from Ford's Indian operation, so people looking for proper Euro fords will be a bit put off I guess.

Still, let's hope they manage to make a good job with it, The brand has been sadly neglected for too long ever since David Pieris decided that they were better off selling trishaws and chinese tin cans!

We do indeed. "Future Automobiles", showrooms at lipton circus right next to Unit#d Mot#rs. Heard the whole show was originally supposed to be run by Frontier but they couldnt come to a suitable agreement with Ford due to the Ford regional office stipulating some absurd conditions. So they decided not to proceed and Softlogic stepped in to do it instead.

The models there are mostly from Ford's Indian operation, so people looking for proper Euro fords will be a bit put off I guess.

Still, let's hope they manage to make a good job with it, The brand has been sadly neglected for too long ever since David Pieris decided that they were better off selling trishaws and chinese tin cans!

So even the fiesta is inidian made? that would be a shame

Just my two cents - been using euro's for over 6 years (and that's not counting the mini that's been with my family since 1960) and they've never let us down. So far I've been through 2 bm's both diesel and petrol & my bro's also got a bm. True that they need a little more TLC than your jap counterpart but the ride and drive make up for that in buckets.

Cheers,

MadMMx

• 2 weeks later...

320D/X1 vs freelander 2 TD4? What would be the better buy? Almost one million differ enc between two. Bimmer has the badge value and better reliability record. FL2 has better over all package. Only issue is the reliability. I do not want to pay 1 mil more and have numerous repairs and issues. Any thoughts?

You want to pay one million more for a Tata-Rover?? LMAO.

Infact Jaguar-Land Rover seems to be doing better in the hands of Tata, than it has been in the past couple of years. .

If it was my decision I would get the 320D vs. the Freelander. However if the decision was a Rangerover Sport vs. X5, I'de take the Rangerover

Edited by madmax

You want to pay one million more for a Tata-Rover?? LMAO.

Infact Jaguar-Land Rover seems to be doing better in the hands of Tata, than it has been in the past couple of years. .

If it was my decision I would get the 320D vs. the Freelander. However if the decision was a Rangerover Sport vs. X5, I'de take the Rangerover

The Freelander is actually a pretty capable 4x4, tested it last month and was very impressed. If the choice was between a 320d and the LR Id go for the 320d eyes closed.

But if I WANTED an SUV on this permit then the LR would be first choice.

Plus, frontier's warranty is 3 years and unlimited mileage, which is pretty reassuring.

The Freelander is actually a pretty capable 4x4, tested it last month and was very impressed. If the choice was between a 320d and the LR Id go for the 320d eyes closed.

But if I WANTED an SUV on this permit then the LR would be first choice.

Plus, frontier's warranty is 3 years and unlimited mileage, which is pretty reassuring.

I think they are phasing out the Freelander, unless something changed recently. I think that particular segment of the market is very competitive. Especially in the UK where LR is king I think the Freelander has been beaten by a number of cars including the Nissan Qasquai (I don't think its sold in Asia, but it's a British designed mini SUV sold in Europe) If it was my money I'd spend it on a Rav 4 D4D. Not sure if it's available for the permit.

• 1 month later...

There are two offerings from BMW for permit holders. X1 and 318D

X1 is an SAV (sports utility vehicle). The model offered has sDrive. Two wheel drive. The new model came out last quarter of 2010 and it has bit of a wagon look. Rear passengers has less room than 318D and in fact it is a 4 seater than 5 seater. Slightly more ground clearance than 318D. Rear seats can be folded, which gives more luggage cabin. Rear seats can be reclined too. Definitely more luggage space than the car. Although it is an SAV it is just a car like cross over with unique looks.

318D has the same engine and transmission. It is a proper five seater with less luggage space. Less ground Clarence. The model is 5 years old and has got a mid cycle face lift recently. It will depreciate more when the new model arrives in three years.

X1 gives more value? Your opinions please!

BMW-X1-India.jpg

3er_sedan_318d.jpg

I too went to check out the offer.I'm a big fan of BMW. They offer the 320D for 5.7mill(318i is same price but I wouldn't buy it) The X1 is about 5.9mill.Both vehicles are the base vehicles with only a few options.Note that the 320D is considered by almost every car critic as a pioneering premium sedan. I admit I'm not pleased with the interior room.(I'm 6ft and back seat was very cramped for my taste, only children can ride comfy).But once you are near the sedan you know this car was built to last.Such great build quality!(same with X1 :D) But when you're in the drivers seat intuition tells you car is great.The 320D does about 9-10 in the city I'm willing to bid that the X1 is far worse.I would go for the 320D but I just am not pleased with the lack of interior space or trunk space.

The x1 is a great car but it's just a "Jacked up station wagon" (They give it a a fancy name called SPORT ACTIVITY VEHICLE) in my opinion.True there's more space but I don't think it's more appealing than the 320D.If you are considering to buy the X1 for roominess I say go for the X1.But 320D offers class leading Dynamics ( that Audi and Benz fail to beat) and better looks.

I thought I'd share a post about the next gen 2012 BMW 3 series.Looks exactly like a mini 5 sereis.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/General_News/Almost-naked-2012-BMW-3-Series-20110503

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Galleries/Image/BMW/2012%20BMW%203%20Series%20(Spy)

Edited by YesinLegend
  • Like 1

I'm to get a permit from my cousin, I thinking to go for a 3 series, even without basic options its a great machine, but knowing that there will be a model change is it worth? X1 to me is ugly and its tiny... The Land Rover Freelander looks good, but the agents aren't that renowned for their service and too many probs with British cars compared with the German's.. is it the HSE that they are offering?

I'm to get a permit from my cousin, I thinking to go for a 3 series, even without basic options its a great machine, but knowing that there will be a model change is it worth? X1 to me is ugly and its tiny... The Land Rover Freelander looks good, but the agents aren't that renowned for their service and too many probs with British cars compared with the German's.. is it the HSE that they are offering?

Well arn't you allowed to sell the car after 3 years? if so the new model would be in only for about 2 years. Given the fact it's a diesel you can sell it off faster and may be upgrade.

Well arn't you allowed to sell the car after 3 years? if so the new model would be in only for about 2 years. Given the fact it's a diesel you can sell it off faster and may be upgrade.

I will have to use to for 3 yrs before selling it.. my cousin have the same surname as me, so its not a problem for me to use... he and his wife are both getting a permit each and they already ordered a Sorento, so will not be using the other one... but the prob with the 320d is that they have very basic options.. but their engines are so bloody good...

I will have to use to for 3 yrs before selling it.. my cousin have the same surname as me, so its not a problem for me to use... he and his wife are both getting a permit each and they already ordered a Sorento, so will not be using the other one... but the prob with the 320d is that they have very basic options.. but their engines are so bloody good...

Even i had look at it. But I too ordered a Full option Sorento. Nope dude they offer the most cheapest engine available @ Prestige.The good one is a 3liter I6 I think with 300+ bhp. Audi offers gasoline A4 with a lot of options except sunroof.for 6mill.Not sure about the Diesel though.(They said they would get back to me but they didn't)

Edited by YesinLegend

audi still hasn't gotten a diesel variant for the permit yet but their petrol version (a4 1.8t) with pretty much most options except sunroof is a good buy. car is also bigger than the 3 series

Even i had look at it. But I too ordered a Full option Sorento. Nope dude they offer the most cheapest engine available @ Prestige.The good one is a 3liter V6 I think with 300+ bhp. Audi offers gasoline A4 with a lot of options except sunroof.for 6mill.Not sure about the Diesel though.(They said they would get back to me but they didn't)

Im going to replace my Santa Fe 2008 model, cos my family seems still afraid of Korean cars, and their is no way to change their pospective which I can't blame them as our Santa Fe have seem to be given trouble which the agents did agree on and they are doing to repair for free even though its way outside the warranty period...

Congrats on your order, even I would have gone for the Sorento as this is by far the best vehicle for the permit, but this time around we need a European car... I asked Dim* and they say that they don't have anything to offer, but as you say will try Sen*k..

Im going to replace my Santa Fe 2008 model, cos my family seems still afraid of Korean cars, and their is no way to change their pospective which I can't blame them as our Santa Fe have seem to be given trouble which the agents did agree on and they are doing to repair for free even though its way outside the warranty period...

Congrats on your order, even I would have gone for the Sorento as this is by far the best vehicle for the permit, but this time around we need a European car... I asked Dim* and they say that they don't have anything to offer, but as you say will try Sen*k..

Thanks! :D

Assuming you have an engineer's permit you can get The A4 gasoline version(with good options).But I'd go for the diesel as these are hard times(but I'm not confident of the number of options).I hear VW also offers the Passat,Jetta & Tiguan(If they offer the "Passat CC" for the permit, go for it if you wish cause it's a really good car but sadly hasn't caught on in SL).I dont think you can import 2010 or later mercs for the Engineer's permit through other agents.

Assuming you've got a Doc's permit you have a slightly wider selection.You can go for the 2011 Volvo S60.A very top notch car.Still not sure Mercs are offered for this permit though.If you like you may explore what Peugeot has to offer but I'm not sure about that brand yet.I seriously doubt the 2011 Jaguar XF is offered for the permit (3l V8 engine).If all else fails BMW 320D I guess ( I think at 5.8mil it's the cheapest European car offered for permit)

Hope this helped. :)

Edited by YesinLegend

drove a friend's 2010 e90 318i today. such a pleasure to drive and very efficient with automatic start stop and what not. but the lack of cabin space is a bit unbearable especially if you are used to a non-compact car in the past. all hope is on f30 to sort out the cabin space issue.