• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tata Nano

Nirosha

You know what else caught fire,,

It's the Ferrari 458 Italia. There has been 3 isolated incidents out of about 500 cars made priced at US$ 220,000.00

In the case of Tata Nano there has been about 2 incidents with about 6000 cars sold priced US$ 2,500.00

Note- Statistics may be a little off

• Like 1

If you are in a hurry not a bad idea to go shopping mate, as to rolling stock Indian Railway owns over 230,000 (freight) wagons, 60,000 coaches and 9,000 locomotives. You should be able to get a good deal.

You sound just like some of my Indian friends whome I have worked with. Their fart sounds so loud but no smell!

isn't it "all fart but no shit" ?

Yeah, the english version is that, butthe sinhala one goes 'handapada ganda natha; ganda pada handa natha' (loud fart no smell, smelly fart no sound)

OK, back to out regular scheduled program: Nano.

You know what else caught fire,,

It's the Ferrari 458 Italia. There has been 3 isolated incidents out of about 500 cars made priced at US$ 220,000.00

In the case of Tata Nano there has been about 2 incidents with about 6000 cars sold priced US$ 2,500.00

Note- Statistics may be a little off

So have Audi R8s and Lamborghinis

But since they run huge V8s that push 7k-8k rpm, I'm willing to cut them some slack for producing lots of heat.

Interestingly, they all have something in common. Engines in the backside :D Looks like sticking to front engine cars is just better overall :lol:

I actually think the nano would be a good alternative to the three wheeler menance in the city (if gov. allows tax free importation for public transport purposes). Atleast to some extent! heard about a gov. plan to ban tuks in greater colombo and replace them with smaller size cars.

If it is to work the numbers should be controlled by a permit scheme or similar, and not let any jack enter the scene as in the case with the tuks. Also, designated parking slots, waiting areas and even a colour scheme would be a nice and essential addition.

I actually think the nano would be a good alternative to the three wheeler menance in the city (if gov. allows tax free importation for public transport purposes). Atleast to some extent! heard about a gov. plan to ban tuks in greater colombo and replace them with smaller size cars.

If it is to work the numbers should be controlled by a permit scheme or similar, and not let any jack enter the scene as in the case with the tuks. Also, designated parking slots, waiting areas and even a colour scheme would be a nice and essential addition.

machang how can replacing the tuks with these can help much?

it's not really the vehicle that cause any issues.

IMO...Its the retarded drivers, our road network and lack of discipline from people in general

even if they replace cut the tuk tuk fleet by half and replace it with nanos... we'll still have the issue except that instead of tuks, it'll be nanos.

On a sidenote... I really wonder what will happen if a tuk were to hit a nano? wonder which will receive more damage :D

• Like 1

machang how can replacing the tuks with these can help much?

it's not really the vehicle that cause any issues.

IMO...Its the retarded drivers, our road network and lack of discipline from people in general

even if they replace cut the tuk tuk fleet by half and replace it with nanos... we'll still have the issue except that instead of tuks, it'll be nanos.

On a sidenote... I really wonder what will happen if a tuk were to hit a nano? wonder which will receive more damage :D

Point taken. It has to be something that is properly regularized, since it is supposed to be only within greater colombo. If any jack is allowed to operate a tata nano, it will be no better than now. Probably worse due to the comparativel larger size of the nano.

Im thinking of a model similar to what is adapted in singapore (But i guess its a stretch). Heard over the grapewine that such a cab operating contract within colombo is to be given to a popular cab company with very close links to the gov.

Tata nano vs. three wheeler (jk):

Tata-Nano-JLR-help-fire-accident.jpg

Heard over the grapewine that such a cab operating contract within colombo is to be given to a popular cab company with very close links to the gov.

your grapevine seems to be working fine :) already saw two of the cabs on the road today. press release says that they will accept payment by credit card as well, which is nice.

anyway, let's hope they don't drive like tuk tuk drivers :action-smiley-060:

So have Audi R8s and Lamborghinis

But since they run huge V8s that push 7k-8k rpm, I'm willing to cut them some slack for producing lots of heat.

Interestingly, they all have something in common. Engines in the backside :D Looks like sticking to front engine cars is just better overall :lol:

totally !!! wrong side for the engine to be in!!!

tata nano drivers should be careful of the potential "oversteer" :P

btw

Is the nano air cooled like the VW beetle ?

"Sri Lanka starts taxi service with Tata Nano

June 09, 2011 (LBO) - A city taxi service using Tata Nano cars has started in Sri Lanka's capital Colombo, but the firm cannot cope with demand for hires and is awaiting shipments from India to expand the fleet, an official said. "We started with 25 cars and another shipment is expected in July," co-founder of NanoCabs, Jayantha Dharmadasa told LBO."We hope to increase the fleet to 100 by the end of the year."

The fare starts from 50 rupees a kilometre for the first five kilometres and falls. After 10 kilometres the price falls to a little over 30 rupees, Dharmadasa said.

Dharmadasa said the firm was hiring drivers and training them on making sure the clients are kept safe and treated courteously."

Quote-LBO

MINIACE

Edited by miniace

June 09, 2011 (LBO) - A city taxi service using Tata Nano cars has started in Sri Lanka's capital Colombo, but the firm cannot cope with demand for hires and is awaiting shipments from India to expand the fleet, an official said. "We started with 25 cars and another shipment is expected in July," co-founder of NanoCabs, Jayantha Dharmadasa told LBO."We hope to increase the fleet to 100 by the end of the year."

The fare starts from 50 rupees a kilometre for the first five kilometres and falls. After 10 kilometres the price falls to a little over 30 rupees, Dharmadasa said.

Dharmadasa said the firm was hiring drivers and training them on making sure the clients are kept safe and treated courteously."

Quote-LBO

MINIACE

Thats nice!! good side of this is those 3wheel buggers who are asking for like 150 rupees per 2km/2.5 km have to re-think their strategy :violent-smiley-099:

Edited by royalkalana

Thats nice!! good side of this is those 3wheel buggers who are asking for like 150 rupees per 2km/2.5 km have to re-think their strategy :violent-smiley-099:

Could be a Nano market launch strategy too. Anyways thats a very fair rate!

MINIACE

even the advent of heaps of meter tuk tuks didn't achieve that - if you can call ahead and actually get a meter tuk tuk then you get a good price. but if you flag down a passing (non meter) tuk tuk (or worse, go to a stand) you still end up paying rates for which you could travel by regular (not nano) A/C cabs!

So unless the nano cabs achieve so much coverage that you can be confident of booking one when you call, it won't affect the general tuk tuk business (and maybe not even then).

(as for meter tuk tuks, I think there are far too many companies with far too few tuk tuks; it works for the companies (I guess) cos they have enough business; would work better for the public if there were a smaller number of companies with a larger number of tuks each)

Saw the ad for Nano cabs in the papers,if there drivers are well trained as they claim to be,it'll be okay I guess..at least the maruti owners will be happy,cz now the'll not be driving the cheapest car..

Edited by CyRaX

even the advent of heaps of meter tuk tuks didn't achieve that - if you can call ahead and actually get a meter tuk tuk then you get a good price. but if you flag down a passing (non meter) tuk tuk (or worse, go to a stand) you still end up paying rates for which you could travel by regular (not nano) A/C cabs!

So unless the nano cabs achieve so much coverage that you can be confident of booking one when you call, it won't affect the general tuk tuk business (and maybe not even then).

(as for meter tuk tuks, I think there are far too many companies with far too few tuk tuks; it works for the companies (I guess) cos they have enough business; would work better for the public if there were a smaller number of companies with a larger number of tuks each)

I agree sifaan :) there were some discussions about converting all tuktuks to meter tuktuks but guess it is not happening soon. but if there are more nano's on taxi buisness and if there is a nano taxi and a tuktuk in the park and both are charging the same rate who would use tuktuks ?? so its always better to have a compitition :):alc:

Quote-LBO

MINIACE

sounds reasonalbe.. better than a noisey 3 wheeler..

but just my thought

cant you see theres some sneaky thing going behind

i mean nano just got launched and a cab service started out of it..

aint it like a huge marketing scheme going on...

oh btw.. unlike our 3 wheel aiyya's and mama's it cant do over 40kmph :D till its first service

so guys expect a slow ride home hehe