• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tata Nano

Nirosha

Guys..why we can't stop depending on Indian products at least in lower category like Nano..when micro introduced small car ,nobody even bothered to buy or even interested to it..even government or responsible institutions didn't want to raise the helping hand to Micro to develop a budget vehicle..now some people are jumping too much when Nano comes. Typical biased Sri Lankan attitude towards the foreign craps. :angry:

Dr. Lawrence has an interview in today's Daily Mirror, he says "As at present we are finding it difficult to fulfill the demands for our products" and also "we are constructing a service center at Peliyagoda which has the capacity to handle 240 vehicles at one and the same time"

seems to be a happy camper...

he also says how the assembly business locally was started by Upali Wijewardena and "he did not get the support of the then government in power"; nowhere does he complain of lack of govt support so he seems to be doing OK on that count too

and 240 vehicle capacity? either a lot of vehicles sold, a lot of problems, or a long repair time :rolleyes:

So there arw two nano cabs right,the red and the yellow(I mean the companies),is it ?

yes, so far.

• 2 months later...

i'm on a mac... ICTA doesn't have osx support afaik...

mac should render unicode (unless you are running some really really old version) just like newer versions of Windows (I think since Vista)

The software at ICTA is needed only for typing in Sinhala, and while that doesn't have mac support there are some other people who do have a product (but not free)

however, the problem with lankaenews is that they are not using unicode at all; so installing some sinhala true type fonts should do the trick for you

(also there is a nice online conversion tool at UCSC website that can convert legacy encodings to unicode...)

mac should render unicode (unless you are running some really really old version) just like newer versions of Windows (I think since Vista)

The software at ICTA is needed only for typing in Sinhala, and while that doesn't have mac support there are some other people who do have a product (but not free)

however, the problem with lankaenews is that they are not using unicode at all; so installing some sinhala true type fonts should do the trick for you

(also there is a nice online conversion tool at UCSC website that can convert legacy encodings to unicode...)

machang i'm on a macbook pro i7, 17inch with pretty decent storage, memory and what not....OS is 10.6.8 and have firefox, safari and chrome all running and none of them displays these sinhala sites....

I would've upgraded to OSx lion but some of the software i run apparently have issues running on that. Also no guarantee that sinhala sites will properly work on lion too....

machang i'm on a macbook pro i7, 17inch with pretty decent storage, memory and what not....OS is 10.6.8 and have firefox, safari and chrome all running and none of them displays these sinhala sites....

I would've upgraded to OSx lion but some of the software i run apparently have issues running on that. Also no guarantee that sinhala sites will properly work on lion too....

there is an addon for firefox that supports sinhala unicode. cant remember the name. go to firefox addons site and search for sinhala unicode or like vice. this tool worked well with firefox 3.x but not sure latest 5 or 6 (OS is not important as you know). just give a try and let us know.

my bad, apparently official support starts with Lion, although there probably will still be some rendering issues unless you install additional software.

installing a sinhala unicode font should display at least unicode sites, but still with rendering issues.

BTW rendering/typing issues arise because of

1. "shorthand notations" like rakaransaya, repaya, yansaya which are encoded in the long form (e.g. halkireema + rayanna for rakaransaya) and need a smart renderer to work properly (even with Windows, doesn't work properly with apps like photoshop)

2. unicode convention to store all modifiers after the character vs. our typing convention of typing kombuwa before the character

and possibly other reasons!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just what we need to make our roads more misarable....

Bajaj Auto, a listed two-wheeler and three-wheeler company, announced the launch of RE 60, an ultra-low cost car. The company claims that the car would have a mileage of close to 40 km per litre and will have a 200 cc engine.

The car will be launched in 2012. However, the car might be exported first before it is available here in India.

"We could launch the four wheeler first in Sri Lanka" said Bajaj.

http://profit.ndtv.c...ar-re-60-295239

Edited by k9master

I would get one and convert it to electric. Considering the car only has a 200cc engine, a 10hp electric setup would work very well, especially when coupled with a few hundred 18650 cells instead of Pb batteries to save weight.

Tata Motors is upgrading the starter motor in all Nano cars sold before November 2011 to boost its performance and sales. The replacement will also take place in old Nano cars that were sold since the launch in July 2009. Starter Motors will be upgraded with new version found in the Tata Nano 2012 edition and the company is providing this service free of cost.

Though there is no formal safety hazard associated with the old starter motor, the move concerns about robustness of the Nano and its safety. The company has sold over 1,05,000 Nano's till date and have already replaced starter Motors in 50,000 Nano cars. Tata Motors started the replacement process in October 2011. This better starter motor is already installed in the Tata Nano 2012, introduced in November 2011.

A starter motor is an electric motor, which helps rotate internal combustion engine to initiate the engines operation. Experts say, while the 2012 Nano starter motor costs about Rs 3,000 a piece, adding labour charges, taxes and engine oil change takes the tally goes up to about Rs 7,600. This means the total cost to the company could be around Rs 100 crore!

The move also comes as the company is trying to restore customer confidence after several instances of the product having caught fire last year.

http://www.yourmoneysite.com/news/2011/dec/tata-motors-recalls-nano-cars-to-upgrade-starter-motors.html

Edited by Reckless

Members,

Bajaj two three wheelers jointed to gather, one Srilankan Automobile engineer designed a four wheeler.

It was on the drawing board he showed all designs of same to me. 4 people can travel comfortably.

Later he got all into 3D, to a computer and made a complete 4 wheeler with the same frame work of the two three wheelers.

Front two Wheels had coil springs with a shock absorber in the middle. rack and pinion searing wheel.

Front was modified with same Windshield steering to RHD. Soft hood brakes for all four wheels gear with a shift stick.

Same engine same size wheels. two large doors.

He later migrated to a developed country for better prospects.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.