• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Radiator Is Leaking

Ek3 Ferio

Hi Guys,

I looked around today and found a few options. Here are they,

1. The core and the tank to be made with aluminum for around 7000
  2. To replace only the top tank with aluminum made one for 4500
  3. To replace the top tank with Malaysian or Chinese imported plastic brand new tank for 5000
  4. To replace the whole tank and core with copper for 18000.
  5. To replace the whole radiator with a reconditioned one which cost around 11000 with out the fan

I am thinking of the 3rd one. What you guys thing and experienced? Will it last long? And the another thing I'm considering is the 5th one. Will it worth to get a reconditioned one for that price? And what are the things that should be looked into when buying a reconditioned radiator?

By the way, the end of the day tomorrow I have to get this corrected.

Thanks,

Hi Guys,

Finally I chose the 3rd option and got it done for 4500. The place I got fixed it has top tanks for any kind of vehicles which matches exact part no to original one. And they also import brand new radiators for bigger vehicles. And they have several branches too. I got it done from a small branch at Gamsabha Junction. My core was excellent, they cleaned it after removing the top tank and fixed the new plastic one.

Two of my friends who used fb15 have got done the job from their branches and told me that they have no issues for 2 years now. Most of the places I visited said plastic tank can be found for Nissan models but not for Honda models.

I gave up the 5th option as it cost 10000 with out fan and 15000 with fan.

So thanks for your kind help all the guys. Will let you know if I get any issues with the new plastic top tank.

Best Regards,

• Like 1

By the way guys, still I didn't get any radiator coolant after the repair. What are the available brands and what has the reputations?

Thanks,

afiak wurth radiator coolant is the best :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Finally I chose the 3rd option and got it done for 4500. The place I got fixed it has top tanks for any kind of vehicles which matches exact part no to original one. And they also import brand new radiators for bigger vehicles. And they have several branches too. I got it done from a small branch at Gamsabha Junction. My core was excellent, they cleaned it after removing the top tank and fixed the new plastic one.

Two of my friends who used fb15 have got done the job from their branches and told me that they have no issues for 2 years now. Most of the places I visited said plastic tank can be found for Nissan models but not for Honda models.

So thanks for your kind help all the guys. Will let you know if I get any issues with the new plastic top tank.

Best Regards,

Hi,

I also finally have to replace the radiator as the radiator is leaking again. Do u have the contact number or the address of the place you got it done? Thanks.

Hi Guys,

Best Regards,

Hi,

I also finally have to replace the radiator as the radiator is leaking again. Do u have the contact number or the address of the place you got it done? Thanks.

Hi,

You can found the numbers here: http://www.rohanamotorslk.com/contactus.html

I got it done from the branch at Gamsabha Junction. Contact the head office, they have the stocks (Top Tanks); branches might not have;

C.T Lionel Radiator

I got my "tenkiya" done by these guys.. they welded together several pieces to get a correct fit. But after some time it is leaking again from the seams welded on to the core part. I was not very happy with the job they did. Perhaps because there didn't see to be any supervisors that day.

I've seen tanks being made anew with I think piththala (brass). (Or is my memory fooling me.. it could have been copper). There was a place in wijerama that was doing it. If I have no option the next I would specifically go for this solution.

Before I tried with these I guys I got a fibre job done on the crack.. but it soon gave way in few days.. I think nowadays it is difficult to find recon radiators with metal tanks..

By the way great site and forum.. first post here..

Hi,

I also had the same kind of issue in my car. The plastic top of the radiator cracked and water leaking (not only one, there were few cracks in that plastic top). A mechanic instructed me to buy some adhesive to try fixing it. I did it my self a few months ago and no problems so far. It is just a half an hour work.... by the way you must not use car for at least 16 hours once you apply that adhesive.

The name of the adhesive is "JB Weld"... you can buy that from 'Link enterprises' at Jubilee post, Nugegoda... Price is around Rs. 800+ .

Google for the name 'JB weld' you will find lot of references about it. That is an American product and as far as I know... a very good one..... Resistant to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

Take care when you mix them together..... do not touch, always use some kind of tool to mix and apply that on the surface.

PS: I am not a salesman trying to sell that product. It really did the work for me and saved me few thousand rupees, so I thought of telling you guys.

Hope this helps!!!!

(By the way I've been going through the forum since beginning but never signed up until today. :rolleyes: )

I also recommend JB weld. Resists all (99%) kinds of chemicals we come across.

I also recommend JB weld. Resists all (99%) kinds of chemicals we come across.

If you closely look, CB3A has mentioned about his JB Weld work on 14th March and he is again posting here on 21st of May complaining that his radiator is leaking again. I don't think JB Weld is a permanent solution for radiator leaks. Best thing is to replace the top tank, if core is ok.

Edited by Ek3 Ferio

If you closely look, CB3A has mentioned about his JB Weld work on 14th March and he is again posting here on 21st of May complaining that his radiator is leaking again. I don't think JB Weld is a permanent solution for radiator leaks. Best thing is to replace the top tank, if core is ok.

well spotted :)

on the subject of replacing the top tank; there are few places who offer to fabricate the top using aluminium, but from checking around I heard that it's not a good idea because aluminium can't be worked well, unlike, say brass. Having seen what kind of top tank can be got for 6-7k I tend to agree.

unfortunately you can't fix a brass top tank to a aluminium core radiator, so if it is available getting a replacement plastic top tank would be the best.

EK3 Ferio,

Thanks for the information.

Also, I do not want to blame JB Weld for failing my radiator again. It was a pretty messed up radiator since I had to repair that plastic top before as well....(not using JB weld)

second time when it got cracked, I used JB Weld for repairing.. but failed again.

So I will look at replacing the radiator or replacing the top tank.

You are right. It is not a permanent solution for a rusted radiators and for larger cracks. I Have used it on the fuel tank of my bike. Still not leaking for 7 years.