• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Land Rover Reliability

kaushama

OK guys. This is ridiculous. Saying there is no difference in reliability between makes and models of cars is like saying there is no difference in crash safety between different makes and models of cars. In every single study and survey done (involving tens of millions of vehicles) there is a clear reliability difference between makes and models - sometimes small, sometimes big.

Looking around a garage or asking around to get a sense of reliability is a subjective biased survey that has no scientific validity.

Of course there are more Japanese cars getting repaired in the garages of Sri Lanka. Why? Because almost all the cars in Sri Lanka are Japanese!!

Here are some properly done, scientific reliability surveys involving millions of cars, not 5 or 10 at the local garage.

You are using two U.S. surveys and one british one to show ow reliable Jap cars are in Sri Lanka?

"Why? Because almost all the cars in Sri Lanka are Japanese!!"

I'm sure you are using hard facts on that statement..... Have you even seen Sri Lankan roads lately?

You are a special kind of idiot.

JD Powers survey: the one that ALL the car manufacturers use

64284.jpg

Interesting, I see that the highly acclaimed Mitsubishi Shogun / Montero ranks lower than the Freelander (previous gen since its 2007) and the Discovery3. And I see Citroen C5 (previous gen) on top of the Shogun / Montero as well, No mention of the other Japanese SUV's except for the Rav4 and the X-trail above the Land Rovers.

But what you want to say is that the Hybrids are better built is it? From your constant threads on hybrids I think thats what you want people to buy. Correct me if I'm wrong. So to hell with the gasoline / diesel cars and hello hybrids!

You are using two U.S. surveys and one British one to show ow reliable Jap cars are in Sri Lanka?

You are a special kind of idiot.

Someone clearly has got some very severe anger and hostility problems. :rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saying U.S. and European vehicle reliability studies are not relevant to Sri Lanka because they weren't conducted in Sri Lanka is as foolish as saying that cancer medicine research or heart disease research done in the U.S. and Europe is not relevant to Sri Lanka because the research wasn't conducted in Sri Lanka.

#1. There is no such scientific vehicle reliability research done in Sri Lanka so we have to look to the world to our knowledge.

#2. The point of the surveys is not to show reliability in Sri Lanka. How on earth could they? They weren't done in Sri Lanka!!!

What these surveys do is give us an idea of the general reliability and dependability of particular models and makes of cars. This information is relevant to a car buyers all over the world interested in a particular car. Therefore these surveys can be useful to someone who may be in the market for a car as part of their research on the cars they are interested in. That is all.

• Like 3

@ Gummybr. I really don't particularly care one way or another about hybrids. But I do care about zero emissions & reducing air pollution. Hybrid technology just happens to be a good way to get to that zero-emissions 'Clean Air Sri Lanka' nirvana.

Edited by Californikan

OK guys. This is ridiculous. Saying there is no difference in reliability between makes and models of cars is like saying there is no difference in crash safety between different makes and models of cars. In every single study and survey done (involving tens of millions of vehicles) there is a clear reliability difference between makes and models - sometimes small, sometimes big.

Okay before i start i need to point out something to you "What were the models and years of the Audi and BMW you drove ? "

Since you like to talk about a scientific validity let me ask you this, what is the scientific validity of giving us surveys that were done in US and UK ? Can one even assume the conditions here and there are the same ?

Looking around a garage or asking around to get a sense of reliability is a subjective biased survey that has no scientific validity.

Of course there are more Japanese cars getting repaired in the garages of Sri Lanka. Why? Because almost all the cars in Sri Lanka are Japanese!!

You clearly need to get out of bed and see a proper road, cause the most common vehicles arent Japanese its actually Indian makes.

Also on the same note that was not my point, my point was if Jap cars are ever so reliable how come we dont see any 20-30 year old jap cars on the road where as a VW beetle's,BMW e30's,Peugeot 305's and the 50 year old mini's are still in running condition ?

Also on different but not unrelated topic, why are you posting figures of a prius ? did you see anyone mention anything about the prius here ?

Are you suggesting that kaushama buy a prius instead of a landrover and do off roading ? :action-smiley-060:

Not really! It involves wild life and exploring some interesting places in here, where civilians could not go till late. But I could use a 4x4 or defender to go to these places. For that kind of off-roading it is ridiculous using a 15mil worth vehicle.

But going to some distant places in Sri Lanka equates to HARDCORE soft-roading any way. My issue with FR2 is, whether it would break down frequently in places far away from Frontier. Probably there are very few FL2 users to get some first hand experiances here.

:huh: Isn't that an oxymoron?

Okay before i start i need to point out something to you "What were the models and years of the Audi and BMW you drove ? "

Since you like to talk about a scientific validity let me ask you this, what is the scientific validity of giving us surveys that were done in US and UK ? Can one even assume the conditions here and there are the same ?

You clearly need to get out of bed and see a proper road, cause the most common vehicles arent Japanese its actually Indian makes.

Also on the same note that was not my point, my point was if Jap cars are ever so reliable how come we dont see any 20-30 year old jap cars on the road where as a VW beetle's,BMW e30's,Peugeot 305's and the 50 year old mini's are still in running condition ?

Also on different but not unrelated topic, why are you posting figures of a prius ? did you see anyone mention anything about the prius here ?

Are you suggesting that kaushama buy a prius instead of a landrover and do off roading ? :action-smiley-060:

- 1994 Audi A4 and 1998 E39.

- Re: validity please see post #31

- The first in-depth year by year reliability survey that came up in Google happened to be a Prius. No other reason. I wish it had been a Freelander.

P.S. Don't be heated Stig. Sorry if I sounded pointed in my post. Anyways, I'll have a post in your (Ben Collins) honor soon in the hybrid thread.

:huh: Isn't that an oxymoron?

It is! :) Unfortunately places in distant parts of the country need the capabilities of a real off-road vehicle than a soft-roader or an extreme soft-roader like Freelander or X-Trail. For example going to one of the rural monasteries I go often, could be done only with a Bajaj three wheeler, unless one goes there with a 4X4 pickup!!!! Some nice Korean soft-roaders struggled to go there. The last lap of it. But still there is an ancient road and a village with nice friendly people at the end of it. The road obviously had not been maintained for some long time.

This and several other reviews keep FR2 off-roading ability almost on par with a real off-roader! One of the most capable soft-roaders. No dispute over there. I am just seeking the information regarding the reliability with regards to sri Lankan conditions.

Here are some properly done, scientific reliability surveys involving millions of cars, not 5 or 10 at the local garage.

i can point out one thing 90% of japanese imported vehicles we having hear are make for japanese domestic market and afaik they are little different from global market ones maybe reliability is different on JDM ones. :)

Edited by nexus
  • Like 1

This and several other reviews keep FR2 off-roading ability almost on par with a real off-roader! One of the most capable soft-roaders. No dispute over there. I am just seeking the information regarding the reliability with regards to sri Lankan conditions.

...that second review even suggests that the Freelander two will handle anything that a Defender can, given a bit of time and encouragement and the reviewers go onto say that they've been keeping pace with a Discovery 3 in the Freelander 2- Quite impressive stats !!

Angry Chinese man tows his 2010 Land Rover Range Rover back to the agent with donkeys after it breaks down for the SEVENTH time

rangerover-donkey.jpg

A man in Shenyang, China was reportedly so frustrated with his 2010 Land Rover Range Rover breaking down that he towed it back to the dealer and asked for a full refund. To add a little insult to his heady request, the spurned owner towed the stricken SUV with a pair of donkeys.

Apparently the guy paid ¥2 million (about $304,000) for the English SUV in 2010. Since the purchase, the car reportedly broke down six times and eventually needed a new engine. When it died a seventh time, the owner was apparently at wit's end.

source: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/29/report-angry-chinese-driver-tows-range-rover-back-to-dealer-wit/

more evidence that Land Rover reliability sucks

• Like 1

Angry Chinese man tows his 2010 Land Rover Range Rover back to the agent with donkeys after it breaks down for the SEVENTH time

rangerover-donkey.jpg

A man in Shenyang, China was reportedly so frustrated with his 2010 Land Rover Range Rover breaking down that he towed it back to the dealer and asked for a full refund. To add a little insult to his heady request, the spurned owner towed the stricken SUV with a pair of donkeys.

Apparently the guy paid ¥2 million (about $304,000) for the English SUV in 2010. Since the purchase, the car reportedly broke down six times and eventually needed a new engine. When it died a seventh time, the owner was apparently at wit's end.

source: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/29/report-angry-chinese-driver-tows-range-rover-back-to-dealer-wit/

lol !! Hillarious, dude has got a banner on the side too. ROFL !!!

rangerover-donkey.jpg

what a way to get back at a manufacturer!!! :D classic!!!

Someone clearly has got some very severe anger and hostility problems. :rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saying U.S. and European vehicle reliability studies are not relevant to Sri Lanka because they weren't conducted in Sri Lanka is as foolish as saying that cancer medicine research or heart disease research done in the U.S. and Europe is not relevant to Sri Lanka because the research wasn't conducted in Sri Lanka.

#1. There is no such scientific vehicle reliability research done in Sri Lanka so we have to look to the world to our knowledge.

#2. The point of the surveys is not to show reliability in Sri Lanka. How on earth could they? They weren't done in Sri Lanka!!!

What these surveys do is give us an idea of the general reliability and dependability of particular models and makes of cars. This information is relevant to a car buyers all over the world interested in a particular car. Therefore these surveys can be useful to someone who may be in the market for a car as part of their research on the cars they are interested in. That is all.

well... imho...

you don't need any of these foreign studies to show that jap vehicles are more reliable than their euro counterparts.

in general...euros offer a far superior drive and japs offer more reliability.

these are hard facts whether some folks like to accept it or not.

• Like 2

This is a continuing problem for Land Rover in their more sophisticated premium vehicles like the Discovery 3 and Range Rover. Most of these breakdowns are not catastrophic failures but mostly annoying electrical niggles. I know somebody who owns a Discovery 3, and while he loves his vehicle, it somehow comes up with a reason to visit the dealership once in every 3 months or so.

This incidentally isn't true for the defender, with its more simpler technology. The worst problems I tend to hear of in the newer versions are problems related to the fuel pump of the new common rail diesels.

The LR 2 especially the 2008-2009 models seems to have had a fuel pump problem and some issue with the power steering. Probably not anymore in the 2011 models. Well more sophisticated the vehicle is there is a higher tendency for faults. Some people don't maintain the vehicles as required, but at the end of the day complain about malfunction which is ridiculous. The bad reputation earned by the Freelander 1 is still creating doubts in the buyers mind with LR2; no surprise there.

Most of these breakdowns are not catastrophic failures but mostly annoying electrical niggles.

This is what I have found too. Electrical and electronic problems. This is quite an issue for a car which relies on electronics for its most features including terrain response.

This is what I have found too. Electrical and electronic problems. This is quite an issue for a car which relies on electronics for its most features including terrain response.

Seriously man, go buy the montero sport. Its a big, dumb truck with "proven" (read decades old) mechanicals that most any local johnnie should be able to fix (other than the common rail injection system, but then I suppose that could always be yanked out if you want to)

A Million bucks cheaper too, sounds just about perfect for you.

Seriously man, go buy the montero sport. Its a big, dumb truck with "proven" (read decades old) mechanicals that most any local johnnie should be able to fix (other than the common rail injection system, but then I suppose that could always be yanked out if you want to)

Thanks! I would either buy FL2 or bimmer. Just wanted to know the least troublesome one between two. FL2 is the best overall package coz it does serious off-roading. Though both brands are not as reliable as Japanese cars I would still love the ride. But obviously like to have least trouble after paying 6+ mil rupees. If not for the FL2 reputation most probably it earned from its older genaration cars, I would have gone for it without any doubt as I would love to have a proper SUV.

Thanks! I would either buy FL2 or bimmer. Just wanted to know the least troublesome one between two. FL2 is the best overall package coz it does serious off-roading. Though both brands are not as reliable as Japanese cars I would still love the ride. But obviously like to have least trouble after paying 6+ mil rupees. If not for the FL2 reputation most probably it earned from its older genaration cars, I would have gone for it without any doubt as I would love to have a proper SUV.

Most of the issues in the LR range relate to the Range Rover, and the LR 3. To my knowledge the Freelander 2 is not a problematic vehicle and certainly does not have anything close to the RR and Disco electronics. Most of the bad press on the Freelanders relate to the first generation vehicle not the newer version.

The only reason why I might not buy it is LR was planning to discontinue the Freelander, though I don't know if they have changed their minds.

LOL some people just don't get sarcasm :lol: