• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Premium Petrol...

rosh78

Question

Hi Friends,

I'm Using Toyota Vitz 1000cc..

currently i'm using normal octane 90 petrol.

but i like to use premium Petrol (IOC) and see any difference.

Did anyone use it before? if so please mention your experience.

I have a problem before move on to that.

when i fill my fuel tank it will hold up to 2-3L of petrol.

is it ok to mix premium petrol with normal octane 90 petrol.

if not how should i do it?

Thank you friends...

fifth gear once did a dyno run with different cars on high octane gas and normal gas.

the econo boxes didn't have any gains whatsoever but the more performance driven car had a significant HP increase with premium gas.

Can't remember all three car models they tested but there was an sti9 that had a significant increase with premium gas

That make sense. What is hurting the performance is the detonation by way of the knock sensors retarding the timing. Turbo cars generally need high octane due to the cylinder pressure and heat it develops. Same with high compression engines.

There is absolutely no adverse consequences for mixing different octanes. I used to run C16 [leaded 116 octane] and routinely used to mix it with other non leaded fuels when I didn't have to run ball out boost.

I'm probably repeating what most of you have already said in here.

You are obviously aware that octane is added to prevent engine knocking. There are many ways to increase the octane rating in petrol. The oldest method was to add benzene, which increases the octane rating. When people realized than benzene is carcinogenic, they switched to tetra-ethyl lead. Tetra-ethyl lead was a toxic compound which could cause lead poisoning. There was a global move to phase out leaded fuel. Many countries adopted additives like iso-octane and Ether. I believe Ether is added in most of the developed nations as the additive.

Some of the poorer countries went back to adding benzene because its cheaper. Apparently Sri Lanka is one of them.

US standards say that there should be less than 1% benzene in petrol (or gasoline as they call it). And they are going to reduce this number to around 0.6% sometime in the future. Going by this standard, less than 1% benzene in petrol should be a reasonable figure.

US uses Anti Knock Index (AKI) and most of the rest of the world uses Research Octane Number (RON). Basic difference is RON is measured on an engine at a lower RPM than AKI.

Ok so between a AKI and RON dont you think that AKI would be be the better way to measure it ? Mostly knocking happens at higher rpm's right ?

Ok so between a AKI and RON dont you think that AKI would be be the better way to measure it ? Mostly knocking happens at higher rpm's right ?

Intuitively that sounds correct. But both the measurements take place in the range of 600RPM - 900RPM. Since this range is less than the idle speed (correct me if I'm wrong here) I wonder if it makes much of a difference.

These specification sheets are BS.

+1

However what I'm bloody shocked to see is that IOC petrol contains a frigging 8% Benzene, which is a known carcinogen (hello, lung cancer!). In most of the countries, benzene is not used any more as the additive for petrol and the benzene content in petrol shouldn't exceed 1%.

I bet Ceypetco fuels aren't any better with the benzene volume.

Well the IOC and Ceypetco uses similar methods, and sometime back before the import started from India, they bought petrol from CPC itself right? So probably quite similar.

Also i have heard that there is a difference in measurement between US octane ratings and here, is that true ?

As Crosswind mentioned, AKI is used in USA and that's RON+MON divided by 2, also called PON

Intuitively that sounds correct. But both the measurements take place in the range of 600RPM - 900RPM. Since this range is less than the idle speed (correct me if I'm wrong here) I wonder if it makes much of a difference.

Well actually that range is the idle rpm range in most cars :)

Hi Friends,

Thank you friends...

I think these all are Indian marketing tricks .

just becoz of few more octane ratio i don't think you will get a much different.

Hi Friends,

Thank you friends...

I have no idea about IOC premium..I'm using Octane 95..but there are time i'm compelled to use octane 90 also ,since octane 95 is not available in all filling station..i don't think there will be a problem of mixing it.don't think much about it mate..if you want you can try...but frankly as far as performance is concern ,i don't see any difference in my car.

what i know is IOC premium means octane 92 and super petrol in ceypetco means octane 95...my bro used to say that people who love their vehicles use octane 95...though i don't believe it.... :D

Edited by AbeysinghE

what i know is IOC premium means octane 92 and super petrol in ceypetco means octane 95...my bro used to say that people who love their vehicles use octane 95...though i don't believe it.... :D

Good, you shouldn't. 95 should be used only if its the recommended fuel for your car. Check the manual.

Adey I thought I was the only one. When I pumped premium into my car, I gained 200 BHP. Seriously 92 octane will only perform better if your engine was designed for it.

My 2.0L stock engine does perform better now, compared to running it with 90.

how do you guys measure the BHP? (I've done this at a laboratory, interesting to know is there any easy way to do this)

how do you guys measure the BHP? (I've done this at a laboratory, interesting to know is there any easy way to do this)

buy using a Dyno scan unit.

jdnet was kidding and MAS was just describing what he felt, no measurements whatsoever involved. If your laboratory measurement involved a dynamometer, that's the correct and accurate way :)

Good you dont believe him, cause its not true. There is no point in pumping 95 to a car than only requires 90, you are just wasting money :alc:

Good, you shouldn't. 95 should be used only if its the recommended fuel for your car. Check the manual.

Hi there,

what if the manual says something like bellow; is it saying i can pump starting from 90 to 95 if available 100 Oct ??? :huh:

Gasoline:

Unleaded gasoline, pump octane

number of 87 or higher.

This was taken from the 2009 Insight car manual...

Hi there,

what if the manual says something like bellow; is it saying i can pump starting from 90 to 95 if available 100 Oct ??? :huh:

Gasoline:

number of 87 or higher.

I guess trying to stay in the recommended octane limit will save you somw bucks,as discussed earlier going over the recommended octane would not give much of a use.If its a 87,I think 90 is what you could use.

Just my 2cents.

Hi there,

Gasoline:

number of 87 or higher.

That means you pump 90 in the local context, not 100. :rolleyes:

Hi there,

Gasoline:

number of 87 or higher.

Was that the manual that came with the car or did you buy a manual from somewhere? So if you bring in a Insight from Japan and find a manual for an Insight from the net, the specifications won't be the same.

Both Europe and Japan (also Sri Lanka) use RON as the rating system. But your manual says PON. So it's probably a manual for the American market. You have to ignore some of the content in that manual.

I guess trying to stay in the recommended octane limit will save you somw bucks,as discussed earlier going over the recommended octane would not give much of a use.If its a 87,I think 90 is what you could use.

Just my 2cents.

That means you pump 90 in the local context, not 100. :rolleyes:

Assuming that the manual came with the car, according to his manual, the PON rating is 87 (not RON rating). PON 87 is RON 91-92. In Sri Lanka, the indicator is RON. If you trust the RON 92 petrol at IOC, you are better off using that. Having said that, RON 98 rated cars are used in Sri Lanka with 95, without many issues (in the short run at least). So using 90 for a 91 rated car hopefully will not give big issues.

Was that the manual that came with the car or did you buy a manual from somewhere? So if you bring in a Insight from Japan and find a manual for an Insight from the net, the specifications won't be the same.

Both Europe and Japan (also Sri Lanka) use RON as the rating system. But your manual says PON. So it's probably a manual for the American market. You have to ignore some of the content in that manual.

Assuming that the manual came with the car, according to his manual, the PON rating is 87 (not RON rating). PON 87 is RON 91-92. In Sri Lanka, the indicator is RON. If you trust the RON 92 petrol at IOC, you are better off using that. Having said that, RON 98 rated cars are used in Sri Lanka with 95, without many issues (in the short run at least). So using 90 for a 91 rated car hopefully will not give big issues.

could he mix 90 and 95 to stay in the good range? Or pump 90 and an octane booster?