• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Old Land Rover With A 4Dr5 Engine

landy del

I know a good guy. but the problem is a if you are not around, you can assume things will not be done as per to ur plan. I am somewhat in the same position and my 110 needs a new clutch kit. even though my parents are in sl, its quite hectic for them to deal with a LR unlike other vehicles. you never know what will come up until you open the bag. If you are concerned about the quality of work done, then I recommend you get it done when u are there. however if you want the contact details, drop me a mail to [email protected]

cheers

Thanks Bro for offer for help with info...just sent you a mail...

I like..."No hill too steep, no valley too deep - I have a Landrover !!".... :action-smiley-033:

very nice looking truck there man. Personally, I don't thing the ratios in that gearbox are right for your truck (well, except 4th gear which is 1:1, haha) What axle ratios are you running on the front and back axles? Jack up the truck and rotate the driveshaft and see how many turns of the driveshaft it takes to rotate the tires once ... then see of you can get a better (higher) ratio (example: http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Ringgear.html) If you're not up to getting a new engine/gearbox, it's the next best option. It'll give you better acceleration and offroad performance but in the end, also take away some fuel economy and top speed.

Edited by MeanGreenZ28

very nice looking truck there man. Personally, I don't thing the ratios in that gearbox are right for your truck (well, except 4th gear which is 1:1, haha) What axle ratios are you running on the front and back axles? Jack up the truck and rotate the driveshaft and see how many turns of the driveshaft it takes to rotate the tires once ... then see of you can get a better (higher) ratio (example: http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Ringgear.html) If you're not up to getting a new engine/gearbox, it's the next best option. It'll give you better acceleration and offroad performance but in the end, also take away some fuel economy and top speed.

Hey MeanGreenZ28, thanks mate....I have know clue about the ratios ...all I know is that it does not match the 4dr5...possibly my axles are old Land Rover Series...

I will take you advice and get somebody to check it ...since I'm not there in Sri Lanka. Thanks for the link too and consider it...cheers mate...

• 3 months later...

Hello all, first post and all that, so bear with me.

This thread caught my attention, as I am also looking into getting a LR in SL. I have a Modified Ex-Mil LightWeight over here in the UK. Tried to look into exporting it "home" but it aint gonna happen on a 1991 reg plate (yes, I know Lightweights stopped being produced by 1984, but it is heavily modified..)

Can you expand on why you think the engine doesnt match the diffs? Does the engine over rev or does it rev too low (labour)for particular speeds?

I assume this is a LR 109, not a 110 - a Series 3?

Installing differentials from different Land Rovers into the axle casings is considered pretty easy. And bits easily found in the UK, if you are based here. Considering you might have 30Kg baggage limits, I can see potential!!

Warmest Regards

I think so yes.I also had those problems, that now your are facing. Unfortunately I couldn't find any practical person to get a real advice.

These days Japanese engine prices are real high, Before u go for a jap motor please compare price with land rover 200Tdi engine. 200 turbo

direct Injection engine is the best practical motor land rover has ever produce. Other land rover secret is the center diff lock LT230 transfer box.

If u want to feel what is the land rover, least go for LT77 5 speed gear box with LT230 transfer box with compatible any motor. There r more issues,

But if u want to be a proud owner of a land rover, you have to live with those problems. Remember, LAND ROVERS & WIVES are same, so you have to,

cause its our passion. Have fun with your Landy........!

regards,

Upul

+1 :)

Hi All, here is my Landy...

Landy2.jpg

100_3638.JPG

Do I see the middle row door handles key barrel hole 'un-blanked'. If so get it blanked out or at least put some black silicone to blank it out. Otherwise washing her down will get you plenty of water inside the door frame... Not good.

landy del,

just check if your engine is actually a 4Dr5 engine,

Can you post a picture of the engine,

not to be rude, but i think your chassis is a genuine 110 chassis. Even the engine might be a 12J. I think book they have used is a series book on your vehicale, ( somes time might have come as petrol and later coverted to diesel )

sorry but without looking at the chassis i cannot tell this ?

Diff lock only came for 110 models not series model, Also from what i know 4Dr5 engines cannot be couple with LT77 gear boxes ( lakshan correct me if i am wrong )

A engine which the LT 77 gear box can direct fit would be the Trooper 2.8 lite turbo engine. ( Good power )

again bro post me a pic of the engine and also chasis underneath so i can give you a diagnosis.

Hi The Don,

Thanks for the feedback and well noted.

I have heard horror stories about Landy motors ( Not surprisingly though coz the Brits seems to fail in their quality department) and constant oil leaks and stuff. So thats part of the reason that I'm not too keen on going for a Landy Motor. Then again I might be wrong. However I do understand the power issue as highlighted by you. Correct, the mechanic himself suggested the 4DR6.

I'm also told that the 4DR5 can be locally fitted with a turbo...how successful is this? I'm concerned that the 4DR5 may not be built to have a turbo..i.e. it will lead to faster ware & tare and host of other problems.

Secondly as I have mentioned above in my reply to Tiv, I'm not going to use this car for not more than 1 month per any given year as I live out of SL. So most part it will be used by parents for city running. Furthermore I'm not an aggressive driver and not a extreme off-roader. So, will the 4DR5 be enough for that kind of use? My fear is once the AC is fitted, it will be too sluggish to handle even a small incline.

I'm also told that Nissan turbo engines are also good for Landys. May be I go for a Nissan motor + gearbox + axles. Any idea on the cost of Jap motors+gearbox+ axles ?

Maybe I will go for Landy or Jap engine at a latter stage. For now as a stopgap measure I would like to mend the existing axles the best I can and run it for while.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Cheers Mate!

bro i am using a Original Landrover engine ( 18J coupled with a LT 77 gearbox) not the freindliest on the foot but trust me that engine has taken me 5000km just for past month. its just a wonder. nothing like having a original engine.

Also there is an engine called Mitsubishi 4DR6 which original came with turbo. ( Again correct me if i am wrong )

bro i am using a Original Landrover engine ( 18J coupled with a LT 77 gearbox) not the freindliest on the foot but trust me that engine has taken me 5000km just for past month. its just a wonder. nothing like having a original engine.

Also there is an engine called Mitsubishi 4DR6 which original came with turbo. ( Again correct me if i am wrong )

You have switched to a Landy from the Cruiser ?

A engine which the LT 77 gear box can direct fit would be the Trooper 2.8 lite turbo engine. ( Good power )

I think the isuzu engine your'e referring to would be the 4JB1. Yes it has plenty of power. But it might not be the best bet for the LT77 box as it might wear it out quicker than normal due to the extra power.

IMO With some mods an R380 should be better equipped to handle the 4JB1

Did you mean 19J ? cos i've never heard of a 18J LR engine

I think the isuzu engine your'e referring to would be the 4JB1. Yes it has plenty of power. But it might not be the best bet for the LT77 box as it might wear it out quicker than normal due to the extra power.

IMO With some mods an R380 should be better equipped to handle the 4JB1

ok but not sure if the R380 housing could directly take the 4JB1.

You have switched to a Landy from the Cruiser ?

i have been having my landrover 110 for 2 years bro. :) i brought it after i brought the landcruiser. i felt something missing so i brought a landrover too, but mile after mile i started loving the landrover more than the cruiser.

i have been having my landrover 110 for 2 years bro. :) i brought it after i brought the landcruiser. i felt something missing so i brought a landrover too, but mile after mile i started loving the landrover more than the cruiser.

I see :) I think I'm a bit behind on the news ! So how did it end up with this special engine ? Was is there from the factory or retro fitted ?

I see :) I think I'm a bit behind on the news ! So how did it end up with this special engine ? Was is there from the factory or retro fitted ?

thats a long story bro. it originaly came with it.

its the same block as a 12 J or 19 J, but indika told me that all internals were much more stronger suited for military use.

Guess you finally figured it out eh.. you can own any vehicle under the sun, but nothing will ever be as fun to drive as a Land Rover Defender. :)

ok but not sure if the R380 housing could directly take the 4JB1.

No it cant, yours truly was checking out the same scenario bout 5 yrs ago and indika said it could be done but the housing had to be modified.