• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mercedes Benz Accident

Uditha88

Actually the surviving guy (front passenger seat, he escaped with some broken bones) said that they had negotiated one bend and a bug has splattered on the windscreen (not sea spray). The driver has actually opened the window to take it off with his hand as it was beyond the reach of the wipers while still at speed (around 170 I think) and they have not even seen a second bend coming up...flown right through it, hit a tree and fallen into a stream.

Its crazy how many versions of the story is coming about. If this incident hadnt resulted in a loss of life I would have made my own smart-ass remarks; but the point is that none of us know what happened. Long story short, the car was going faster than it should have been going.

And seanD machang no offence, but what you think has very little substance, since you weren't even there to see it, let alone be inside the car to see the speedo-meter.

Its crazy how many versions of the story is coming about. If this incident hadnt resulted in a loss of life I would have made my own smart-ass remarks; but the point is that none of us know what happened. Long story short, the car was going faster than it should have been going.

And seanD machang no offence, but what you think has very little substance, since you weren't even there to see it, let alone be inside the car to see the speedo-meter.

FYI, the guy in the front passenger seat suffered a broken arm and a injury on his forehead, but is otherwise OK. What I said is what he told people at the house of one of the deceased who is a friend of mine. He is not in the best of shape although he insists on being there does seem to talk about it, so I would take what he says as being accurate. He says they slowed down a bit after taking the first bend but it would not be less than 150. I would tend to believe his version over the stories that are floating around, wouldn't you? The car clock hands were also stopped at 12.50 p.m. which is around the time he said. He may have been wearing a seatbelt, although the people at the back definitely were not as there were four of them.

You should take it a step further when you decide to keep your smart-ass remarks to yourself.

Edited by SeanD

The car clock hands were also stopped at 12.50 p.m. which is around the time he said.

Thats strange, never knew that the new S had analog clocks in the cockpit. Isn't it a full glass cockpit? Never been inside one, so I wouldn't know.

Well, while hating to be insensitive. I am glad that its only the drunk idiots who were involved and no other innocent bystanders, then it would have been a real crime.

Rich boys can have have their fun in their toys, as long as no one else gets hurt.

Thats strange, never knew that the new S had analog clocks in the cockpit. Isn't it a full glass cockpit? Never been inside one, so I wouldn't know.

The analog clock is located between the two center AC vents. Car had a glass roof. As for your comment, sometimes it takes things like this to make others wake up and not want to take unnecessary risks. Parents should also think twice before letting youngsters take out cars with too much power to handle.

What I meant with a glass cockpit was if its a full digital cockpit, not if it has a glass roof.

You are right, its smack in the middle of the AC vents.

Edited by VVTi

plus the driver dies!

at this point I'm more concerned about the car than the driver and passengers. The driver was either drunk, idiotic or both and the passengers did nothing to stop him from driving. The car on the other hand is a beautiful piece of german art that should never have been used as a crash test car by some kids with a death wish.

at this point I'm more concerned about the car than the driver and passengers. The driver was either drunk, idiotic or both and the passengers did nothing to stop him from driving. The car on the other hand is a beautiful piece of german art that should never have been used as a crash test car by some kids with a death wish.

l0l......

FYI, the guy in the front passenger seat suffered a broken arm and a injury on his forehead, but is otherwise OK. What I said is what he told people at the house of one of the deceased who is a friend of mine. He is not in the best of shape although he insists on being there does seem to talk about it, so I would take what he says as being accurate. He says they slowed down a bit after taking the first bend but it would not be less than 150. I would tend to believe his version over the stories that are floating around, wouldn't you? The car clock hands were also stopped at 12.50 p.m. which is around the time he said. He may have been wearing a seatbelt, although the people at the back definitely were not as there were four of them.

You should take it a step further when you decide to keep your smart-ass remarks to yourself.

My point was based on the fact that YOU assumed that it was 170. Not the person in the car. If you want to give a interpretation to a story back it up without just saying " i think its about 170".... So happy now? can you drop it now :P

Interesting to note that the number is not 150+... hmmmm

I agree. Car is not to blame for the driver's and passengers stupidity.

You drink, you speed and you want to party, then pay the price for your stupidity.

Not an E class, if am not mistaken it's an S350. All the worse.

Shizer! Your right, I just looked at the picture upside down... thats just crazy, I mean come on, S classes are crash tested in Germany at 155 mph (or around 260 km/h) I just can't get over the damage to this car.. what a shocker, and an even bigger lesson to everyone I suppose... :(

Usually those crash tests are are done for front and side impacts, I 'guess' if the stories are true it could have been topple few times and what not. anyhow sad incident, also the car was a very new one heard its just had it first service done :\

Edited by Buddhika M H

Its pathetic how to what extent some forum members went on about with this story. To all who were concerned more about the car than the dear lives that were lost, I hope someday nothing like this happen to you nor to anyone you may know of. Two families lost their loving sons, and I lost a great friend. Wish you people showed more respect for the lives lost than for a stupid car.

• Like 5

Its pathetic how to what extent some forum members went on about with this story. To all who were concerned more about the car than the dear lives that were lost, I hope someday nothing like this happen to you nor to anyone you may know of. Two families lost their loving sons, and I lost a great friend. Wish you people showed more respect for the lives lost than for a stupid car.

While I have sympathy for the fact that lives were lost, it cant be argued that the whole situation was the result of a series of bad decisions on the part of the Driver and passengers. I mean seriously, open a window at 150kp/h to fish a bug off a windscreen??!

Imagine if the car had hit innocent bystanders....

• Like 2

+1

It's always the lives... (after all they were trying to have some fun, true that it was in a stupid way, but not a crime right?)

P.S. Sad that we don't see any tv commercials educating/promoting on safe driving. I've seen a lot of commercials on youtube which were aired on other countries trying to make people aware of the dangers of not wearing seat belts, drunk driving etc.

People have to learn at least now onwards to wear seat belts. And da purpose behind buying a S-class in other countries is da SAFETY factor. Sad they didnt get da benefits of it. May they rest in peace. :\ they were crazy bt very kind hearted friends.

no collision avoidance system on this car.

human error.

I wonder if they were ever pulled over speeding and let go because of their status. Ive done the colombo hikka run at night and see copers wtih R guns

Edited by racerx

+1

RIP Manil Boyagoda & Dilan Walgampalage

• Like 2

well out of the surviving four...one is supposed to be in very critical condition :(

dunno how true this is but the story is that they were drunk...

lotsa chaps do the hikka run after partying in colombo...stay there for a couple of hours and drive back to colombo...

and these runs are usually pretty fast ones...having being part of it a few time myself...it was just a matter of time until somebody ran out of their luck :(

lets hope at least those 4 chaps will pull it through!

@jdnet (the forum's choice of newbie of 2010): there is no love lost between me and Ripper but if Ripper was one of them I would not still go down the levels that you have been to. no doubt the blokes in the merc were behaving irresponsibly and thank god no innocent by stander had to bear the brunt. however to somehow suggest that a few youth lives are not as worth as the beautiful piece of german metal is beyond humanity. FYI it was not Prabakaran who died in this incident.

Edited by isurujosh
  • Like 1

:action-smiley-081:

• Like 2

but if they went into a river, wonder why they've pulled the car out and left it on its roof.. :unsure: But the impact has to have been massive for an E class to get crushed like that.. I believe the 200 km/h story.. poor guys.. :(

i think it'a S class Merc, by the way feel sry 4 2ppl who were dead...

Edited by The Stig