• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Alfa Romeo Reliability. An Unjust Myth Debunked.

VVTi

Its time to take AL back to its original role, the haven for petrol heads, not fuel consumption threads or Scohttp://op light threads. :angry-smiley-048:

Although i wasnt around i do understand the pain, Im just tired of explaining to others that Euro's are way better than most Jap cars.

BTW car looks to be in tip top shape VVTi :alc:

Thank you all, for the compliments. Its just it doesn't take that much effort to keep one of these going. Once you get the basics right. I have kept it in the garage under covers for 1-2 weeks and cranked her and she would start the first go without even a hint of hesitation. Cutting corners is what gets many people in to trouble, even with a Maruti.

The decision to take her on that long journey was to really push her limits, and see if it breaks. It didn't. 3 weeks before that I took her to Kekiraawa for a trial run and she held out well. After that did the exhaust and painted her and this was the first trip as a whole car... :)

The Alfa seats are a couches!! After driving all that Kms, not a single aching bone in the body, for me nor my passengers.

The E39 is not as comfortable, believe it or not. And the Punto, forget it.

Another myth debunked, that euros can't sell that easily. ;) well, about 60 plus inquiries, three inspections and one buyer all within 24 hrs. I'm gonna miss her.

The new owners a lucky guy.I remember she looked sweet parked in my driveway. :)

So what next Harshan?...Das auto perhaps?

The new owners a lucky guy.I remember she looked sweet parked in my driveway. :)

So what next Harshan?...Das auto perhaps?

:)

a passat or an exec perhaps. Even the lancer was up for sale. This went far earlier than it.

Edited by harshansenadhir

:)

a passat or an exec perhaps. Even the lancer was up for sale. This went far earlier than it.

Are you looking at the 2002 passat? I once drove one to kandy and i think that car is so under rated in this country. The amount of comfort, performance and handling u get for around 2.0 mil is unmatchable even with a jap or korean car with double the price. Good luck! :alc:

• Like 2

Another myth debunked, that euros can't sell that easily. ;) well, about 60 plus inquiries, three inspections and one buyer all within 24 hrs. I'm gonna miss her.

well a well maintained, looked after and loved car is not that tough to sell me thinks...

petrolhead maintained cars tend to be in lot better shape than say a bugger drives to the fuel shed with a calculator :P

And yeah...fully agree with RR

the passats are so underrated here...

not a bad thing when you're buying second hand though :)

Are you looking at the 2002 passat? I once drove one to kandy and i think that car is so under rated in this country. The amount of comfort, performance and handling u get for around 2.0 mil is unmatchable even with a jap or korean car with double the price. Good luck! :alc:

shhh, now that you don't wanna make those ricer boys and econobox fans aware of these euro beauties and spoil my dreams of owning a one at a good bargain. :P

shhh, now that you don't wanna make those ricer boys and econobox fans aware of these euro beauties and spoil my dreams of owning a one at a good bargain. :P

Lol... don't worry, if it doesn't do 15kmpl they ain't going nowhere near it.

• Like 1

+1

Also, if you get one in decent nick and know where to go to, maintaining it properly poses no problems.

Im willing to wager that the original parts for Axios and Allions are more expensive than parts for these cars are...

here's a shot of mine, looking shiny just after a cleanup

18372310150147869086060.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Supra_Natural

Its time to take AL back to its original role, the haven for petrol heads, not fuel consumption threads or Scohttp://op light threads. :angry-smiley-048:

Meanwhile, purring along on the Kanniya-Sradhdapura road, if you can ll it that... 7kms of dirt road that only dump trucks use. :)

fwtsn.jpg

Francesca to nowhere.. !

Meanwhile, purring along on the Kanniya-Sradhdapura road, if you can ll it that... 7kms of dirt road that only dump trucks use. :)

fwtsn.jpg

True piece of beauty and I can clearly see the road it had handled up to this point.

Trust me, I know how relieved feeling I have when I drive the Euro as oppose to the Lancer, I'm so well confident that it'll handle any hump, pothole (occasionally the island in the middle of the road)

BTW, is it just me or the bonnet of the car is not properly closed?

True piece of beauty and I can clearly see the road it had handled up to this point.

Trust me, I know how relieved feeling I have when I drive the Euro as oppose to the Lancer, I'm so well confident that it'll handle any hump, pothole (occasionally the island in the middle of the road)

on purpose :)

to let more air in...

you better be kidding :) which means this Alfa got an inherited overheating issue ? :P

i think the grill opening to the radiator is a tad too small..especially for a warm country like ours and when you end up doing long runs.

not that it overheats...just provides a little bit more of cooling which is always welcome :D

Is this the road between the main Trinco road and the road leading to Kanniya hot wells? Not too sure of the names around the area. If so, that's extremely great that an Alfa held up and surprised too after what I've heard of them, and true that's not a road, the (dust)holes could be filled with a whole car! It's a sickening ride in a Jap car, you're lucky the Alfa is comfortable.

Respect!! :)

Edited by BLu3HaZe

Thanks for the nice post, and that's just one of the best looking (and sounding) engine of all time. Went to check out another 164 with the V6 a while back, and was wondering 'what the fuss' was; till it was started up,'what a glorious sound'. If I had the dough, would've got it on the spot.

This road was better in many ways than the tarred road between Trinco and Kantale. This is just gravel with the occasional 'pit' and deep tyre tracks made by the dump trucks.

You are right, the hood is released from the lock, for obvious reasons... :)

The ambient temp is really bad in the area and I opened it up just to give that bit of extra ventilation. It actually helps. Normally the car runs really hot, and in this situation, no need to push the boundary more than it was anyway... :)

Edited by VVTi

Is this the road between the main Trinco road and the road leading to Kanniya hot wells? Not too sure of the names around the area. If so, that's extremely great that an Alfa held up and surprised too after what I've heard of them, and true that's not a road, the (dust)holes could be filled with a whole car! It's a sickening ride in a Jap car, you're lucky the Alfa is comfortable.

Respect!! :)

Correct, Kanniya Sradhapura or something road, just before Thambalagama. It used to be a LTTE hotspot. Where many countless SLDF trucks were blown up. The Army carved this road up to have easy access to the Trinco-Anuradhapura road.

you better be kidding :) which means this Alfa got an inherited overheating issue ? :P

You have no idea how hot she runs... ;) Will show you one day... :)

The 'normal' level is considered just below the area where Jap cars will be heating up.

Correct, Kanniya Sradhapura or something road, just before Thambalagama. It used to be a LTTE hotspot. Where many countless SLDF trucks were blown up. The Army carved this road up to have easy access to the Trinco-Anuradhapura road.

Ah, this road really takes the toll on cars, I'm surprised you opted for that road instead of the other tarmac one little further away which is longer. I was afraid the suspension might collapse or something, and the dust is so fine it goes into literally everything unsure.gif And you had shutters down, even for a while?? Many things needed attention after that, among brakes, filters, liners and beadings(?) were filled with dust, not helped by the fact that my dad likes to think he's a rally driver when travelling on empty gravel roads rolleyes.gif

Edited by BLu3HaZe
  • Like 1

Ah, this road really takes the toll on cars, I'm surprised you opted for that road instead of the other tarmac one little further away which is longer. I was afraid the suspension might collapse or something, and the dust is so fine it goes into literally everything unsure.gif And you had shutters down, even for a while?? Many things needed attention after that, among brakes, filters, liners and beadings(?) were filled with dust, not helped by the fact that my dad likes to think he's a rally driver when travelling on empty gravel roads rolleyes.gif

Ah. you must have been in a Jap car... ;)

All the Alfa needed was a wash and a vacuum... :)

Everything is still intact.