• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

A Message To "some" Hybrid Drivers

k9master

you got me wrong there VVTi i never say prius in same league as you'r alfa romeo what i say is it can smoke prius in any given day. :D:grinning-smiley-043: to alfa romeo.

Dunno machang, never had the urge to race anyone... :) I don't want to race them, smoke them or even 'chase' anyone on the public streets.

Please try to use your own metal for things like these... :) Not impressive or advisable to use other people's phallic extensions for your own pleasure... :) (unless you are ashamed of what you pack in your 'garage', or the ability to drive it)

:rolleyes::P

:rolleyes: Machan even if i have a great drive ability how can i compete with giants :unsure: vehicles are not same as horses that 50% of the race is effective with the jokey's ability. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Machan even if i have a great drive ability how can i compete with giants :unsure: vehicles are not same as horses that 50% of the race is effective with the jokey's ability. :rolleyes:

Geeee its kind of inappropriate to talk about mens underwear in an automobile forum isnt it :P

Wonder if this was a creation of our resident tree huger (you know who) :rolleyes:

Don't know. But hopefully helpful as a source of info since most of the drivers concerned about fuel economy are taking a deep-dive on hybrids!

Edited by Rukster

Sri Lanka has raised import duties on several categories of petrol-engined cars and three wheelers with steeper increases seen in larger hybrid vehicles, which had exceptionally low taxes earlier, officials said.

A senior Treasury official said there were revisions on several categories of vehicles.

On petrol cars with standard engines with capacities below 1,000 cubic centimeters the effective total tax rate will go up from the current 95 percent to 120 percent.

Between 1000 to 1,600 cc the effective rate will go up from 119 to 128 percent. On three wheelers the effective rate will go up from 38 percent to 50 percent.

On hybrid cars with engines below 2,000 cubic centimeters total duties will go up from 38 percent close to 50 percent.

Deputy director general of customs Ajantha Dias said an excise duty was raised by 8.0 percent on small hybrids but it will take up the total duties by a larger amount when added together.

On hybrids between 2,000 to 3000 cc duty will go up close to 75 percent and above 3,000 cc to 100 percent.

In the past two months about 3,000 hybrids have been imported to the country, Dias said.

At the current rates even the large hybrids are taxed at a lower rate than smaller petrol cars.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Edited by VVTi

That sucks. We are now likely to see far fewer of the fast powerful hybrids from Porsche, Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes, Fisker etc on the road.

Now machang, we like to see how really good you are selling cars, if you can convince the general car buying public to buy ca r for the new price... :)

• Like 1

Thats why I bought my hybrid in a hurry, I knew this would happen.

Wow! such remarkable foresight!! u c i always knew these tree huggers were smart. its a pity other fellow members dont give due respect to these diamonds in the dust! ;)

Edited by rangerover

Thats why I bought my hybrid in a hurry, I knew this would happen.

machan but you didn't inform to our forum members about that if you knew this before.. :angry: most of them got to know just yesterday i think.. :angry: anyway i feel sorry for the people who's gonna affect due to this :huh:

machan but you didn't inform to our forum members about that if you knew this before.. :angry: most of them got to know just yesterday i think.. :angry: anyway i feel sorry for the people who's gonna affect due to this :huh:

i'd rather be glad that some got themselves saved from almost a prank.

imagine, a high tech traction motor, hybrid system, the re-generative brakes, non-tropicalised electronics and all are used for years with wear and tear you don't know of. In an engine you can judge the wear by running some tests, in this traction motor, only god knows what's left for you to use till next floods hit colombo.

With all this risks there's no agent backing as yet. why people take all these risks just to save few bucks on fuel per month? (Oh, pardon me, save a tree in ten years time, is it two and a half trees? Not sure). I don't get the logic. May be i'm not one of those smart a$$es. ;) btw, on saving trees, you'd better off planting some trees than driving a hybrid around.

• Like 2

i'd rather be glad that some got themselves saved from almost a prank.

imagine, a high tech traction motor, hybrid system, the re-generative brakes, non-tropicalised electronics and all are used for years with wear and tear you don't know of. In an engine you can judge the wear by running some tests, in this traction motor, only god knows what's left for you to use till next floods hit colombo.

With all this risks there's no agent backing as yet. why people take all these risks just to save few bucks on fuel per month? (Oh, pardon me, save a tree in ten years time, is it two and a half trees? Not sure). I don't get the logic. May be i'm not one of those smart a$$es. ;) btw, on saving trees, you'd better off planting some trees than driving a hybrid around.

Seems like you are anti-hybrid fellow. Why are you hating to hybrids? :(

In my perspective, I don't think people buy hybrids because of high mpg. (May be i'm wrong) But there are lot of other attractive factors that influence people to buy hybrids. I bought Prius because i love its design, its options/features. least significant reason was mpg, i couldn't get more than 21 so far,even people saying it is working 25 or so. but i'm not worrying about it since i'm not ready to change by driving habits.

You are correct, if i wanted to save environment, I'd have to plant trees. But If i can save some bucks on fuel, it could be a reason for a weekend picnic :)

Well, mate, there is a risk for everything. if you get managed it properly, you will have a chance to be unique. Eventually, Toyota Lanka will start supporting for hybrids. I heard, they already sent a team to japan for a training regarding hybrid maintenance. Honda already supporting for hybrids. According to yesterday news, there are 3000 hybrids imported within last two - three months. so, do you think all of those are $$ greedy tree hugers?

This could have happened at any time. One of my friend is importing a Prius just to save 2 - 3 lakh rather buying imported one. His car is in a ship now :(

Well, mate, there is a risk for everything. if you get managed it properly, you will have a chance to be unique. Eventually, Toyota Lanka will start supporting for hybrids. I heard, they already sent a team to japan for a training regarding hybrid maintenance. Honda already supporting for hybrids. According to yesterday news, there are 3000 hybrids imported within last two - three months. so, do you think all of those are $$ greedy tree hugers?

You can be unique, just like the 3000 other people who bought hybrids in the last three months?

:rolleyes:

Someone needs to look up the meaning of "unique"

• Like 1

Seems like you are anti-hybrid fellow. Why are you hating to hybrids? :(

In my perspective, I don't think people buy hybrids because of high mpg. (May be i'm wrong) But there are lot of other attractive factors that influence people to buy hybrids. I bought Prius because i love its design, its options/features. least significant reason was mpg, i couldn't get more than 21 so far,even people saying it is working 25 or so. but i'm not worrying about it since i'm not ready to change by driving habits.

You are correct, if i wanted to save environment, I'd have to plant trees. But If i can save some bucks on fuel, it could be a reason for a weekend picnic :)

i aint hating or anti hybrid for a fact.

But, where were all of you when the agent first marketed the hybrids for around 7mil when the 121s were selling brand new in 2mil mark. If some one had tried hybrid during this period i'd by all means consider them as early adoptors, tree huggers, radical thinking risk takers and what not. Further if some one had tried hybrids during this era they would've done it coz they like hybrid for its 'features', 'style' and the reasons you've just mentioned.

Why all this menance started? Coz of the tax cut on hybrids, and what comes to our shores aint brand new warranty backed tropicalised specimens but used junk.

When it comes to new technology, it's always advisable to proceed when the technology is proven in local context, otherwise you are taking non-calculated risk in which you can be stranded with no help. True that you have taken a risk, but that's way too much to compensate by the benefits you get from hybrid.

I'm very much confident that none or very less would buy hybrids if the tax was same and if it was brought brand new by agents with a high price tags. Therefore, i can safely conclude it's cheapos who buy hybrids in this context. Tree huggers? My a$$ , a bullshit cover up synonym you guys are using.

• Like 6

i aint hating or anti hybrid for a fact.

But, where were all of you when the agent first marketed the hybrids for around 7mil when the 121s were selling brand new in 2mil mark. If some one had tried hybrid during this period i'd by all means consider them as early adoptors, tree huggers, radical thinking risk takers and what not. Further if some one had tried hybrids during this era they would've done it coz they like hybrid for its 'features', 'style' and the reasons you've just mentioned.

Why all this menance started? Coz of the tax cut on hybrids, and what comes to our shores aint brand new warranty backed tropicalised specimens but used junk.

When it comes to new technology, it's always advisable to proceed when the technology is proven in local context, otherwise you are taking non-calculated risk in which you can be stranded with no help. True that you have taken a risk, but that's way too much to compensate by the benefits you get from hybrid.

I'm very much confident that none or very less would buy hybrids if the tax was same and if it was brought brand new by agents with a high price tags. Therefore, i can safely conclude it's cheapos who buy hybrids in this context. Tree huggers? My a$$ , a bullshit cover up synonym you guys are using.

Harshan, I'm curious. Do you think over the next few years hybrids will "prove" themselves in Sri Lanka, or not? That is, will hybrids in Sri Lanka turn out to be as reliable and trouble-free and durable as the most reliable petrol or diesel cars (or not)?

I suggest that all tree huggers ride bicycles to work, ride tandem bicycle for family outings and bullock carts for those special moments.

Me? I am here on this earth to use and abuse and leave nothing for the next generation. :)

It keeps me honest at least and makes me less of a hypocrite.

Burning more fossil fuel will not make the trees grow faster or replant forests. a difference of 15KMpls will not change the climate... :)

So like Harshan said, I also wish that the Prius owners of this august Forum cut the bullkakka and admit that they bought the Hybrids becasue they were a cheap alternative for the Axios and the 141s the neighbours were driving.