• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2011 Hyundai Sonata With R-Series Diesel Engine

YesinLegend

Question

Wouldn't it be great if Hyundai Dealership could import the new 2011 Hyundai Sonata with the 2000cc R-series Diesel engine. The car would not only look great but the running costs would be easy on the wallet too. Besides Diesel gives more power than the equivalent capacity Petrol engine. The R-series diesel engine already sold here in the 2011 Santa fe & the 2011 Kia Sorento-R too. They already manufacture R series Sonatas in South Korea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_R_engine (it is at the bottom of the page)I don't think Prestige Autos offer this trim because it's not on their catalog. I think adding a Diesel to this cars Lineup would make way more Desirable than it already is. Who wouldn't want a car that looks like a Mercedes CLS & 150,000Km warranty for just 5.5mil.

Just to be frank I'm no sales representative.Ignore those comments.I just really wish hyundai would bring the Diesel version.

post-47933-069276000 1303409069_thumb.jp

Edited by YesinLegend

It's an area of great interest for me :D

and frankly, all the vehicles on the road spewing clouds of toxic black smoke in my face makes me wanna :violent-smiley-099:

As our great Parak would say "you should walk to work and encourage others as well" :rolleyes:

As our great Parak would say "you should walk to work and encourage others as well" :rolleyes:

Since Parak is so in love with the simple life style he should forget Australia, Come down to SL & live in some rural town...where he can pretty much enjoy his biking through paddy fields :rolleyes:

Hyundai R series diesel engines are supposed to be very good. The 2.2l CRDI engine on the Hyundai Santa Fe is supposed produce 190 odd bhp and more than 400Nm of Torque. (Manufacturer Claims)

Thats pretty good comparing the BMW 2.0l engine in 320d is producing somewhere around 175 bhp.

EVs are decades away from taking hold in Sri Lanka.

But hybrids and especially plug-in hybrids are a good interim step on the road to the eventual EV and fuel cell future.

<shrug> IMO, hybrids are at least a year away from taking hold properly too. Wait for the next monsoon to hit and Colombo roads to get flooded. You wanna drive around sitting on all those batteries? Hoping that Toyota has applied enough waterproofing to stop a leak into the battery compartment?

<shrug> IMO, hybrids are at least a year away from taking hold properly too. Wait for the next monsoon to hit and Colombo roads to get flooded. You wanna drive around sitting on all those batteries? Hoping that Toyota has applied enough waterproofing to stop a leak into the battery compartment?

I understand the doubts. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing the hybrids proving themselves in the next Colombo floods. I know in some parts of the U.S. there is a lot of flooding that goes on, as bad as Colombo, and over 12 years on the market there, the hybrid system and batteries have not shown a pattern of failures, electrocutions or problems in such conditions. All the sensitive parts are waterproofed.

It would be nice Stig, but all those vehicles will still be passing on the road spewing clouds of toxic black smoke in my face

I feel compelled to ask, how is it that you imagine Colombo to be some sort of version of Los Angeles circa 1970? The way you make it sound, all of us are walking around choking in a cloud of toxic smog...

Funny, because I live in central colombo and both walk around AND drive around in an open topped car on occasion, I've never actually had "clouds of toxic black smoke" spewn in my face.

Perhaps you unknowingly suffer from the disease Imaginationicus Overactivus?

I feel compelled to ask, how is it that you imagine Colombo to be some sort of version of Los Angeles circa 1970? The way you make it sound, all of us are walking around choking in a cloud of toxic smog...

Funny, because I live in central colombo and both walk around AND drive around in an open topped car on occasion, I've never actually had "clouds of toxic black smoke" spewn in my face.

Perhaps you unknowingly suffer from the disease Imaginationicus Overactivus?

I respectfully and totally disagree with you. I say the vehicle exhaust smoke emissions and pollution levels in Colombo is MUCH worse than any U.S., European, and 'clean' Asian city such as Tokyo or Singapore. When I come back to Sri Lanka from a trip to a developed economy, the noticeably higher vehicle emissions and pollution levels just on the drive back from the airport is something that always hits me. It's probably not an issue for you because its become "normal" to you and therefore something you don't notice. But that doesn't make it OK or right or the best thing for the country and the people.

When I come back to Sri Lanka from a trip to a developed economy, the noticeably higher vehicle emissions and pollution levels just on the drive back from the airport is something that always hits me. It's probably not an issue for you because its become "normal" to you and therefore something you don't notice. But that doesn't make it OK or right or the best thing for the country and the people.

Actually I live in S'pore and I'm yet to feel/notice a difference in the air. And its funny how you feel a difference on the drive back form the airport since its a relatively rural area compared to colombo. Plus, unless you drive with the AC off and windows open to save 0.025km/liter its quite unlikely you'll be smelling ANYTHING.

What I have noticed it Sri Lankan roads are dustier. Thats just cos everything isnt cemented asphalted everywhere.

And maybe that thing that "hits you" is the dissatisfaction with the country. Its ok, not everyone loves to be in Sri Lanka. Take our Parak friend, who ended up in OZ for reasons even he doesnt know :P

When I come back to Sri Lanka from a trip to a developed economy, the noticeably higher vehicle emissions and pollution levels just on the drive back from the airport is something that always hits me.

And what are these developed countries you talk about? Those bigger cities have much more pollution than Sri Lanka. I think you've got dust confused for smoke and smog. I'm sure dust is way less toxic than any of those.

This is one view of what I'm talking about. Most of the vehicles (buses, vans, 3 wheelers) in this video do not have any emissions controls and are spewing out toxic black smoke (usually diesel) that people are breathing in. We all regularly see vehicles on the road driving along emitting that trail of black smoke.

Of course, there's not a lot that can be done. There's no way to suddenly replace all the offending buses, lorries, vans in Sri Lanka with zero-emissions or low-emissions vehicles such as this

I respectfully and totally disagree with you. I say the vehicle exhaust smoke emissions and pollution levels in Colombo is MUCH worse than any U.S., European, and 'clean' Asian city such as Tokyo or Singapore. When I come back to Sri Lanka from a trip to a developed economy, the noticeably higher vehicle emissions and pollution levels just on the drive back from the airport is something that always hits me. It's probably not an issue for you because its become "normal" to you and therefore something you don't notice. But that doesn't make it OK or right or the best thing for the country and the people.

Ok its survey time dumbass! :jumping-smiley-013:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions#List_of_countries_by_2007_emissions

7 of the top ten highest CO2 emmitting countries are developed countries...and SL is way down on the list at 92 with 0.04%,negligible!

Oh dear these surveys are not going your way are they?...First they proved that you are a homosexual,and now that you are a white ass kissing,tree hugging liar.

Have a nice day! :)

• Like 1

Ok its survey time dumbass! :jumping-smiley-013:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions#List_of_countries_by_2007_emissions

7 of the top ten highest CO2 emmitting countries are developed countries...and SL is way down on the list at 92 with 0.04%,negligible!

Oh dear these surveys are not going your way are they?...First they proved that you are a homosexual,and now that you are a white ass kissing,tree hugging liar.

Have a nice day!

Hahaha... owned.

Wow... that was a shameless guerrilla marketing tactic mate... :)

Is you company planning on bringing the Genesis?

Hey Dude I'm not a salesperson from hyundai :P i'm really interested in purchasing this car. Too bad I jst found out frm them that there's no way they can bring the Diesel model. They r already inundated with orders. Even if I order the petrol one I won't be getting it till februray 2012. Btw I'm flattered that u thout I was a sales person :D

the 2011 hyundai sonata is a good car, go for a test drive in it and see, you will be pleasantly surprised. there is no need to compare it to the merc or talk down to people that maybe interested in the sonata, you can get the sonata for less than 6.00mil its makes no sense to compare it to the CLS due to the passing resemblance

I think we r gonna go for a Sorento R because the waiting for any Hyundai vehicle is like late february 2012. I'm so crestfallen

Even the old ones were packed with leather seats, triptronic for that matter. But, you know how this second hand market behaves and sonata's are guzzlers without no proper reason to be so and that explains why it sells lesser than a price of a Maruti.

Yeah old hyundais are crappy cars. i've checked many reviewers & they all say that Hyundai is on a "new roll" but there is no way in hell I'm gonna order it. the waiting period is soo long. The dealer said that we have to wait till feb. 2012. The Diesel version is nt sold in SL wht a rip off

its not like that mate, just cuss some dummy does some guerrilla marketing doesn't mean this is a bad car

my father owns one and i have driven it many times this year, its does well on fuel just so you know unlike the old model and it drives really well

unlike the old sonata this will have some 2nd hand value but only time will tell with this regard

since the 2nd hand market for cars like the elantra are holding steady similar improvement can be expected for the new sonata as well

Dudeeee! I'm nt a sales person I'm genuinely intrestd in this car.I jst wanted evrythng 2 look attractive lol I never thought ppl wud mistake me for a sales person.For god's sake I'm still going 2 school?But I guess I do sound like a representative.I have been looking @ so many review that I've gotten hooked on it.

finally some 1 who owns this car. when u say it drives really well do u mean that the cabin is quiet & comfy?(@ abt 60Km/h) Do u hav the panoramic sunroof? if so does the interior heat up more than a solid roof? wht's the Km/l value? I've been trying to call Hyundai but their service sucks

• Like 1

It's an area of great interest for me :D

and frankly, all the vehicles on the road spewing clouds of toxic black smoke in my face makes me wanna :violent-smiley-099:

Well there is bad news my dad told me that every 5 years the battery of a hybrid has 2 be replaced.The cost of the battery is like 8-15 lakhs.I feel sorry for the person who bought the Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid wonder how much it's battery would cost

Actually I live in S'pore and I'm yet to feel/notice a difference in the air. And its funny how you feel a difference on the drive back form the airport since its a relatively rural area compared to colombo. Plus, unless you drive with the AC off and windows open to save 0.025km/liter its quite unlikely you'll be smelling ANYTHING.

What I have noticed it Sri Lankan roads are dustier. Thats just cos everything isnt cemented asphalted everywhere.

And maybe that thing that "hits you" is the dissatisfaction with the country. Its ok, not everyone loves to be in Sri Lanka. Take our Parak friend, who ended up in OZ for reasons even he doesnt know :P

Actually driving with a car's windows down increases it's drag coefficient. hence you wind up using a bit more fuel. Now if you had those small wind deflectors in the windows I bet u would be very happy :)

Well there is bad news my dad told me that every 5 years the battery of a hybrid has 2 be replaced.The cost of the battery is like 8-15 lakhs.I feel sorry for the person who bought the Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid wonder how much it's battery would cost

im_a_princess_because_my_daddy_says_so_wood_sign.jpg

:rolleyes:

Wow... that was a shameless guerrilla marketing tactic mate... :)

Is you company planning on bringing the Genesis?

I'm not a sales representative I'm an enthusiast of the new Hyundai range :).....I wish they would bring The Genesis coupe, the R-spec Sedan & the new 2012 Grandeur (hav u seen thm?) My dad we went 2 the dealership last Friday they say that they don't import those vehicles. Disappointing. & only the GLS Sonata is sold(petrol) My dad won't be buying that.Tuscons are nice but somhow I don't like them. :(