• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2010 Toyota Prius Fuel Range In Sri Lanka

Sasi007

Question

Hello

i have a 2010 toyota prius with solor panal, and iam getting 15 KM per Litter in EV Mode. and 17 KM per Litter in Normal Mode.

and i like to know how much u guys getting per L

######

Edited by MADZ

Now it's interesting to see what figures will I get when my wife is driving, because she has completely different driving habbits. I will let you guys know when I do. She is driving from maharagama to Moratuwa daily.

I don't think its economical for someone who drive less than 50km/day to invest on high maintenance cost hybrid! :unsure: Hybrid owner will loose nearly 200k if not more after 4 years! :o Do your own math and check.

Edited by X Terra

I don't think its wise someone to invest high maintenance cost hybrid who drive less than 50km/day! :unsure: Do your own math and check.

Exactly mate..Hybrids are useful for the people who drives more than 100 km everyday or more frequently.I think below 50 km even 121,Axio,Belta,Fit,Demio,Swift, even civic will give a decent fuel figures. :rolleyes:

Exactly mate..Hybrids are useful for the people who drives more than 100 km everyday or more frequently.I think below 50 km even 121,Axio,Belta,Fit,Demio,Swift, even civic will give a decent fuel figures. :rolleyes:

IMHO it is more dependent on the kind of conditions you have to drive in. e.g. rover says he got 21+ km/l driving carefully to Kandy in low traffic. That's hardly worth the bother of having a hybrid. Even if a regular car did 12 km/l, the cost savings is 22*(125*110/12-125*110/21) = 10800/month (that's assuming this drive is happening 22 days/month). That can be a significant saving, but not if you have to spend a few lacks to replace the battery in couple of years.

On the other hand someone driving in the morning rush hour coming in to Colombo on the Negombo road should get better figures (better usage of hybrid tech) whereas a regular car would fare much worse.

On a somewhat different note; I live in a rented property in Colombo 1.5 km from office rather than travel from Wattala which is 10km from office (mostly for the time/hassle saving rather than fuel saving). Recently drove in to Colombo from Katu in the morning and realized what a joy it is to not suffer that kind of traffic anymore... if I had to commute 100km/day I would certainly move houses rather than buy a hybrid :D

But of course other people may be more attached to their homes than me ;)

IMHO it is more dependent on the kind of conditions you have to drive in. e.g. rover says he got 21+ km/l driving carefully to Kandy in low traffic. That's hardly worth the bother of having a hybrid. Even if a regular car did 12 km/l, the cost savings is 22*(125*110/12-125*110/21) = 10800/month (that's assuming this drive is happening 22 days/month). That can be a significant saving, but not if you have to spend a few lacks to replace the battery in couple of years.

On the other hand someone driving in the morning rush hour coming in to Colombo on the Negombo road should get better figures (better usage of hybrid tech) whereas a regular car would fare much worse.

On a somewhat different note; I live in a rented property in Colombo 1.5 km from office rather than travel from Wattala which is 10km from office (mostly for the time/hassle saving rather than fuel saving). Recently drove in to Colombo from Katu in the morning and realized what a joy it is to not suffer that kind of traffic anymore... if I had to commute 100km/day I would certainly move houses rather than buy a hybrid :D

But of course other people may be more attached to their homes than me ;)

It's not that attached to the home machan.Now i'm not in SL as i'm related to tourism field profession,and my wife take care of the things we do in Dambulla.We do a lot of vegetable farming as that was what my father used to do.Now he's old and cannot do it anymore.most probably 5-6 days a week have to travel from Kurunegala to Dambulla for those reasons as to closely look at the progress of the farms.For example if we move the house it should be to a better area.I find Kurunegala my home town better for me than anywhere else on earth.So thought of buying a hybrid than shifting the home. :D

But of course other people may be more attached to their homes than m

Moving is an good option but not for everyone because there are many other facts than fuel and traveling to consider i.e kid's schools, work places of other family members etc. :rolleyes:

My point is someone who just drive home to office and office to home (around 50km/day) on Hybrid will neither save money nor trees! :lol:

Edited by X Terra

What I still fail to understand is, if you got 5 million to blow on a car why are you worried about fuel costs?? Buy a diesel. More reliable and they actually can be serviced anywhere! You guys should not be worried about how much you save at the fuel pump, but how much you have to dump if, sorry.... WHEN some of those very expensive parts fail. It's great if the general public feels like being guinea pigs for some new tech, but being motoring enthusiasts we should be offering sound advice within our own community.

What I still fail to understand is, if you got 5 million to blow on a car why are you worried about fuel costs?? Buy a diesel. More reliable and they actually can be serviced anywhere! You guys should not be worried about how much you save at the fuel pump, but how much you have to dump if, sorry.... WHEN some of those very expensive parts fail. It's great if the general public feels like being guinea pigs for some new tech, but being motoring enthusiasts we should be offering sound advice within our own community.

BTW, the Prius is one of the most reliable cars on the road over the long term and the batteries typically do last the life of the vehicle.

http://autos.aol.com/article/toyota-prius-reliability/

I think if people think about it in terms of the total cost of ownership of a car, then hybrids make sense. Total cost of ownership = total price paid for the car (including taxes, fees etc) + operating costs (fuel, maintainence, insurance etc). The tax reduction really lowers the total cost of ownership for hybrids vs equivalent diesel and petrol cars. If the tax rate was the same, then diesel would make more sense IMHO.

And thanks to the tax reduction a person can get a much nicer hybrid car than they could a petrol or diesel vehicle at the same price, no?

BTW, the Prius is one of the most reliable cars on the road over the long term and the batteries typically do last the life of the vehicle.

I think if people think about it in terms of the total cost of ownership of a car, then hybrids make sense. Total cost of ownership = total price paid for the car (including taxes, fees etc) + operating costs (fuel, maintainence, insurance etc). The tax reduction really lowers the total cost of ownership for hybrids vs equivalent diesel and petrol cars. If the tax rate was the same, then diesel would make more sense IMHO.

And thanks to the tax reduction a person can get a much nicer hybrid car than they could a petrol or diesel vehicle at the same price, no?

Hybrids are not for everybody mate. There will be loads of people including myself who will not only look at 'total cost of ownership' when looking at getting a car.

This doesn't mean i'm loaded and ready to bust money but car ownership goes far beyond costs.

For instance...the prius looks horrible. like it was purposely designed to look bad. The insight looks far better but still inherits the horrible rear end the prius has.

Also DIYers and folks who love to work on their cars will not like a hybrid. getting electrocuted while meddling with you car can't be fun. I for one need to work on my motors by myself...kind of therapy thing :)

Hybrids will have it's place...especially for people who like a saving at the pump...

But it will not be better over conventional vehicle as it stands now in terms of "total experience of car ownership".... something that's far better that 'total cost of ownership'

• Like 1

There is a factor you're not considering. Modern autos aren't made to last generations. If the car is designed to last, say 10 years, (coz car makers know the vast majority of people buying new cars in major markets don't keep them for long years and some countries even have laws that make keeping cars long term undesirable) then getting a hybrid that has been used about 10 years really doesn't look that great a deal. Coz then the life time of the vehicle has 5 years left, and thats the life of the battery.

• Like 1

I don't think its economical for someone who drive less than 50km/day to invest on high maintenance cost hybrid! :unsure: Hybrid owner will loose nearly 200k if not more after 4 years! :o Do your own math and check.

I'm a person working in the oil trade worldwide and my prediction is that the current oil prices will keep on rising at a very fast rate and in a few more months it will be interesting to see how people will talk about the hybrids.The higher the price of petrol the more you save. This is the one and only reason that I bought a hybrid early, and I can assure there will be many more to follow, in fact it is the currunt world trend to go for alternative power sources, so why dont we.

And who told the hybrid is a high maintanance car,more than 2 million prius units have been in use worldwide for 15 years now.

I'm a person working in the oil trade worldwide and my prediction is that the current oil prices will keep on rising at a very fast rate and in a few more months it will be interesting to see how people will talk about the hybrids.The higher the price of petrol the more you save. This is the one and only reason that I bought a hybrid early, and I can assure there will be many more to follow, in fact it is the currunt world trend to go for alternative power sources, so why dont we.

And who told the hybrid is a high maintanance car,more than 2 million prius units have been in use worldwide for 15 years now.

Any way it's good if someone can spare a bit of time to do a calculation to see whether it's financialy good to choose a Hybrid vehicle. If we can save Rs 300,000 in fuel after 5 years, leave another 200,000 for the new battery, then we save 100,000 at the end of 5 years. This is just an assumption.

Come on Pro's! Let's calculate & see how much an average driver can save by using a Hybrid vehicle.

There is a factor you're not considering. Modern autos aren't made to last generations. If the car is designed to last, say 10 years, (coz car makers know the vast majority of people buying new cars in major markets don't keep them for long years and some countries even have laws that make keeping cars long term undesirable) then getting a hybrid that has been used about 10 years really doesn't look that great a deal. Coz then the life time of the vehicle has 5 years left, and thats the life of the battery.

I think is is more realistic and 'real world' to think about the life expectancy of a car in terms of kilometers/miles accumulated rather than years. If someone buys a brand new car and puts 100,000km on it in 10 years that is very different than the same car that has had 400,0000km put on it in the same time span. It would be safe to assume that the car with only 100,000km on it has much more 'life expectancy' left in it than the car with 400,000km. Only time will tell how long-term hybrid reliability plays out in Sri Lanka, but as the article I posted reported, in major markets it is common to have 10+ year old Prii with 300,000+ kms on them perform identically as when new.

Hybrids are not for everybody mate. There will be loads of people including myself who will not only look at 'total cost of ownership' when looking at getting a car.

This doesn't mean i'm loaded and ready to bust money but car ownership goes far beyond costs.

For instance...the prius looks horrible. like it was purposely designed to look bad. The insight looks far better but still inherits the horrible rear end the prius has.

Also DIYers and folks who love to work on their cars will not like a hybrid. getting electrocuted while meddling with you car can't be fun. I for one need to work on my motors by myself...kind of therapy thing :)

Hybrids will have it's place...especially for people who like a saving at the pump...

But it will not be better over conventional vehicle as it stands now in terms of "total experience of car ownership".... something that's far better that 'total cost of ownership'

RESPECT! :alc:

Any way it's good if someone can spare a bit of time to do a calculation to see whether it's financialy good to choose a Hybrid vehicle. If we can save Rs 300,000 in fuel after 5 years, leave another 200,000 for the new battery, then we save 100,000 at the end of 5 years. This is just an assumption.

Come on Pro's! Let's calculate & see how much an average driver can save by using a Hybrid vehicle.

Lets say an average person travels 40Km per a day ?

So we would go to work on only about 22 days, but with all the other traveling lets say 25 days ?

So the distance one would travel in a month would be 40x25= 1000Km (not likely, just taking the maximum figures)

So in five years one would travel a total distance of 1000x12x5=60000Km

Lets say a normal car does 10Kmpl (taking a minimum figure) so the total amount of fuel he would consume is 60000/10=6000L

so the total cost would be 6000x125=LKR 750,000 (assuming the oil prices dont go up, if it does this will go in favor of the hybrids)

If its a hybrid lets assume it does 20Kmpl so the total amount of fuel one consumes in five years would be 60000/20=3000L

And the total cost of fuel would be 3000x125=LKR 375,000

The amount you save in fuel is 750,000-375,000=LKR 375,000

Batteries wont just die like that but if we assume they do, the amount you save would be 375,000-200,000 (not sure on the price of the battery :unsure: ) = 175,000 LKR

So we would go to work on only about 22 days, but with all the other traveling lets say 25 days ?

So the distance one would travel in a month would be 40x25= 1000Km (not likely, just taking the maximum figures)

Lets say a normal car does 10Kmpl (taking a minimum figure) so the total amount of fuel he would consume is 60000/10=6000L

so the total cost would be 6000x125=LKR 750,000 (assuming the oil prices dont go up, if it does this will go in favor of the hybrids)

If its a hybrid lets assume it does 20Kmpl so the total amount of fuel one consumes in five years would be 60000/20=3000L

Batteries wont just die like that but if we assume they do, the amount you save would be 375,000-200,000 (not sure on the price of the battery :unsure: ) = 175,000 LKR

But the first guy on this thread says his 2010 car does 15/17kmpl

If someone recalculate this with appreciation, depreciation, inflation,margin for fuel price rising,exact battery price and prediction,comparable maintenance cost it makes better sense. Just my opinion

Edited by luckey007

But the first guy on this thread says his 2010 car does 15/17kmpl

Yes peri :)

I was just calculation for an average figure, trying to give the hybrids an advantages.

Toyota quotes the MPG of the 2010 model as 48-52 so which technically means its 22Kmpl, unless you drive long distances or glue your eyes to the mpg meter this will likely be the average figure most people would get.

If someone recalculate this with appreciation, depreciation, inflation,margin for fuel price rising,exact battery price and prediction,comparable maintenance cost it makes better sense. Just my opinion

No need to complicate things, not trying to give an economics lesson here.

Most of the factors you mentioned cannot be properly calculated cause no one knows exactly what will happen in the next five years.

No way of calculating appreciation or depreciation, Government policies are very unpredictable.(tax increment will cause a rise in prices while tax reduction will cause a decline in prices)

But here is a rough calculation for a 2007 Prius, the vehicle cost was considered as 35,000$

331muqa.png

factors such as fuel cost cannot be calculated at all cause the rise in prices are not linear and the curve will be asymmetric but not properly smooth asymmetric either therefore d/dx cannot be calculated accurately.

page6_blog_entry7_2.jpg

fuel-cost-chart.jpg

The cost of getting a new Toyota Prius battery system varies. The price to get a replacement battery for the first generation Prius ranges from $2500 upwards. If the replacement involves major reconstruction on the support structure, you may have to spend as much as $4000 to get it replaced.
(source:- http://cbelectriccar.com/blog/toyota-electric/toyota-prius-battery-replacement-price/)

This was an article posted in 2010 October so its pretty accurate to date

Even a rebuilt battery pack costs around 1600$ so its pretty safe to assume the prices will be around LKR 200,000 with all the taxes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-2009-Toyota-Prius-Hybrid-Battery-Pack-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b8c3dbdfQQitemZ140538797023QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Complicated enough for you ? :)

Look this thread mate! It's not only the battery, there are many other expensive parts compare to standard car you have to be worried! :rolleyes:

Hybrid Maintanence

Edited by X Terra

Yes peri :)

I was just calculation for an average figure, trying to give the hybrids an advantages.

Toyota quotes the MPG of the 2010 model as 48-52 so which technically means its 22Kmpl, unless you drive long distances or glue your eyes to the mpg meter this will likely be the average figure most people would get.

No need to complicate things, not trying to give an economics lesson here.

Most of the factors you mentioned cannot be properly calculated cause no one knows exactly what will happen in the next five years.

No way of calculating appreciation or depreciation, Government policies are very unpredictable.(tax increment will cause a rise in prices while tax reduction will cause a decline in prices)

But here is a rough calculation for a 2007 Prius, the vehicle cost was considered as 35,000$

331muqa.png

factors such as fuel cost cannot be calculated at all cause the rise in prices are not linear and the curve will be asymmetric but not properly smooth asymmetric either therefore d/dx cannot be calculated accurately.

page6_blog_entry7_2.jpg

fuel-cost-chart.jpg

(source:- http://cbelectriccar.com/blog/toyota-electric/toyota-prius-battery-replacement-price/)

This was an article posted in 2010 October so its pretty accurate to date

Even a rebuilt battery pack costs around 1600$ so its pretty safe to assume the prices will be around LKR 200,000 with all the taxes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-2009-Toyota-Prius-Hybrid-Battery-Pack-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b8c3dbdfQQitemZ140538797023QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Complicated enough for you ? :)

Well, Thank you very much , pal :lol:

I think is is more realistic and 'real world' to think about the life expectancy of a car in terms of kilometers/miles accumulated rather than years. If someone buys a brand new car and puts 100,000km on it in 10 years that is very different than the same car that has had 400,0000km put on it in the same time span. It would be safe to assume that the car with only 100,000km on it has much more 'life expectancy' left in it than the car with 400,000km. Only time will tell how long-term hybrid reliability plays out in Sri Lanka, but as the article I posted reported, in major markets it is common to have 10+ year old Prii with 300,000+ kms on them perform identically as when new.

Major markets usually have better road systems, stringent requirements on vehicle maintanance, better application of road rules, etc.. which contributes overall to a car having what you term as a "better life expectancy" compared to srilankan counterparts..

It's usually more about how the car is looked after, than the Kms run....