• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Warning About A Car Sale

ransam

It is not a surprised thing to consider. Even the Japanese Partners also change the ODO. I experienced that when i was searching to buy a vitz in local market. They says this vehicle ODO is than vehicle auction grade is 4.5. I saw the JAAI also from them. It makes the assurance of the seller. Its mean there is no change has been done in Sri lanka. Then i checked it chassie number with Auction market in in Japan. I saw that vehicle is not at the 4.5 auction grade. Its fall under 3.5 grade. Mileage is almost 65000km. So all the changes hv been done by Japanese Partners by keeping huge profit margin. So then i realized its not safe to purchase vehicle from SL market. Then i imported the vehicle from japanese auction and it saves some money as well.

Looks like my previous post has been misinterpreted. Let me clarify it.

Sometime ago when I advertised my wife's last car (which was very well maintained), the first question the callers asked was the odo reading. When I told them the odo reading (in excess of 100,000), many of them didn't even bother to come see it. If I got the odo tampered and changed it to about 60k, I'm pretty sure they would have flocked to see it and somebody would have offered me a higher price. Eventually I sold the car for a guy who didn't even ask me what the odo reading was, but went thru the paperwork and inspected the engine.

People tamper the odos for a very simple reason - other people who buy cars are very concerned about it and they use it as a factor for deciding on the offer price.

Stop looking too much at the odo reading and look at the actual condition of the car. Then nobody has to be cheated and be sad or be worried.

I think its a given fact that most vehicles not all, have there ODO reversed when your buying recon..i think its up to the buyer to wise up and not act surpprised when you realize that your ODO is hacked. Better option would be to do a through check on the maintainence records to understand if the major milestones were acheived such as timing belts changed etc. maybe even run a diagnostic through the agents. If those checks are good i dont see why you shouldnt go ahead with the purchase. I drove a cab for 6 years and had 535,000 on the clock but she never missed a beat and sounded clean as a whistle never gave me serious problems. It just goes to show that millage alone should not alone influence your purchase decesion on the contrary it might just prevent you from scoring a decent ride.

I was also waiting to put Saturns reply here...i still have it saved in ma pc gud guide lines. guess hvin a less ODO makes people sort k to buy the car or makes them happy....but true judging a car ODO meter alone is crazy when there are so many important factors to consider

agree with crosswind. the general rule is to try to flog a car off well before it reaches the 100K mark. otherwise it becomes really tough to sell, unless its an usual econobox. I too have had a lot of trouble in the past with selling my previous cars which had mileages of over 80K, despite having an entire history file of the vehicles which had been meticulously maintained. its a pity because modern drivetrains are capable of running well in excess of 250k without needing to touch the engine if looked after.