• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ban Hybrid Owners From Autolanka?

madmax

117 members have voted

1. 1. Ban Hybrid Owners from the Forum?

• Hell Yeah!
    • No

Don't be ridiculous dude. Just coz it took a tax break to get you guys talking about the Prius and buying it doesn't mean it just hit our shows. Its been around at least 3-4 years, and we have already discovered and discussed it. It wasn't right for the market then, and it isn't now. Maybe in about a year, since plenty of guinea pigs jumped on the bandwagon, but not yet.

Well said. Everyone jumped on the hybrid bandwagon because of the tax break, not because they are concerned about preserving nature or cutting down greenhouse gases. And in true Sri Lankan fashion -trying desperately to find out the real deal about hybrids...

If anyone here bought a hybrid with the one and only intention of preserving mother nature - I salute you! But I doubt that's the case....

Edited by madmax

Hey MadMax, since you are also in the US. I have a friend who is in the FDNY. He said that apparently they need special training to attend to Prius crashes due to the High Voltages present. Is that true?

Your friend is correct. There is a procedure in dealing with Hybrids to keep the emergency responders from being electrocuted. Even giving a jump start has a procedure so they don't end up frying the non Hybrid vehicle. Sadly, I think you guys will soon hear about someone who got hurt with one of these.

For you hybrid owners, do not touch any of the orange wires without proper protection. There's enough amperage in there to hurt you seriously. My advice is to read the owner's manual carefully and be very familiar with your vehicle.

Wanted to go with "yes". But hey, it`s it`s sort of fun to see the stuff Hybrid fans are coming up with, so they should not be banned me thinks. :D It`ll be even more interesting to see how the hybrids hold up against SL conditions, so the discussions should continue. Whether we like it or not, I don`t see the future so bright and public roads will see even lesser roaring V8s, hissing BOV`s, screaming VTECs, etc.. :ninja:

Get a project car rolling people, and hold on to it. Get a Hybrid (or any other similar crap) and abuse it of a daily basis. :alc:

I feel theres more issues than just the hybrid fans in AL now.

As an old member of AL from the previous forum we had (though I may not have posted much here, i did read AL forums a lot), I remember those days with shakster, fuzzo, madz.... and all it was more interesting. It could also be something to do with people being more tolerate to each other(I'm not saying this against your poll here, but as in general seeing where AL is heading)

yes fuel consumption threads are blooming everywhere, but maybe its because thats what people interested in these days. But I feel people need to tolerate those and if they think there are better things to post, they should themselves do that. And if one doesnt want to be a part of those conversations, why not just ignore them.

Also AL always was a site where good help was given to automotive related problems, so its not surprising to see new people coming here with their problems. It may be about their Prius or the RX8, but why cant we just try to stick to the topic without trying to generalize people and their choice of cars?

just my two cents

well said..........i agree this will die down after sometime and my feeling is that if you like it or not hybrid cars have come to stay....like the automatic gear box or the front wheel drive cars in the 80,s , if auto lanka was there at that time those topics will be the hot topics...we cannot ban them...one person may have a hybrid and as well a n16... :D

Yesterday Ripper and i were at DeSilva's getting an evaluation on my Punto for insurance purposes when an unregistered Prius drove in.

I am not exaggerating when I tell that car was in such shitty condition. The seats looked as if someone had diarrhea inside, the engine bay looked like it was soaked in salt and caustic soda and then driven through ash. Car has 2 different types of alloys.

Funny thing is we asked around to see it belonged to a famous car sale. This is how the bring them here, clean them up and sell it to a penny pinching moron who will be happy about the car's 25Kmpls ability...till something blows.

Is'nt it true for most of the vehicles that are bought into this country?!!

Edited by rover

Is'nt it true for most of the vehicles that are bought into this country?!!

Not necessarily. I have seen cars that have just been cleared and all they would need is a standard grooming. Most cars that do come to SL are in OK condition. Only some dubious importers resort to buying crashed or really badly treated cars for a song and sell them here after a customary clean up or a repair.

But this particular car was in such a condition that it was sad.

I guess the crazy demand in SL has opened up some dubious supply lines.

I am sure once the cleaning is done, the car will be as good as new... but then...

Either way, not my problem. Just take it as a heads up to all proscriptive car buyers that cheap things no good, good things no cheap, as the Chinese would say... :)

Your friend is correct. There is a procedure in dealing with Hybrids to keep the emergency responders from being electrocuted. Even giving a jump start has a procedure so they don't end up frying the non Hybrid vehicle. Sadly, I think you guys will soon hear about someone who got hurt with one of these.

For you hybrid owners, do not touch any of the orange wires without proper protection. There's enough amperage in there to hurt you seriously. My advice is to read the owner's manual carefully and be very familiar with your vehicle.

Yeah, just had a chat to him. Even the use of Jaws of Life is not allowed to be used on the car, till all electrics are disconnected and the car is grounded. Cutting through the pillars runs the risk of cutting in to a live HV line and frying the rescuer and the victim. Most fire stations have crews trained on how to handle and in the absence of such a crew, they have to wait till a trained crew arrives.

Wonder how it will work out here. Knowing our buggers tendency to jump in and do things without taking proper precautions.

In Sri Lanka most of the traffic injuries are aggravated during the so called rescue. Most people get lifted up like a sack of flour and dumped unceremoniously in to a three wheeler. This causes further injury, especially if the spine or ribs or even internal injuries are present. A broken rib can puncture a lung and a misaligned spine can snap if not handled properly. What may be a small injury caused by the crash will end up serious by the time the victim gets to the hospital.

Butt hen, this is a whole new thread altogether.

Disclaimer: This poll is not intended to offend any particular person or group. It is merely to add some excitement to a forum that has lost the 'fun' factor!

Hi Guys, I thought it would be fun to see how many forum members see hybrid owners as a breed of evil motorists. (if we can call them that) :angry-smiley-048: I remember the good old days when the AL forum was full of talk about 'real' cars. Nowadays all we see is "how many MPG does your Prius get?" or "should I buy this car?" Being one of the very first members of Autolanka, I hate to witness what's happening.

A strange post for someone who lives in the country that has the most hybrids on the road after Japan.

I’m not an anti-hybrid. And I don’t really care whether it’s a hybrid or Gasoline powered, if it fulfills my needs in a ride I will go with either.

It has to be not very common.

It needs be aesthetically good.

It needs to be quick (no need to be insanely quick since I’m not a race driver on the road)

It should fulfill my basic needs.

And I’m NOT A,

person who listens to everything that someone tells you.

fake tree-hugger though I love my country and environment.

go behind fuel figures looking at the fuel gauge. If it’s 8-10ish in city running I’m more than happy and if I get bit more it’s a bonus. BUT not defiantly thirsty for 25 km/l.

I vote against banning Hybrid owners since,

We should respect everyone’s opinion. Democracy…. You might not like a certain thing but everybody should have the right to express their views and we should not ban them from doing that since we don’t like that.

It’s more challenging to see a road hogging Prius or even a Subaru on your rear view mirror not through your windscreen.

So far I have not found any of my likings or needs through a hybrid, but if something new which falls into my criteria comes, I might go that way, even that’s a hybrid. Who knows???

• Like 2

Don't be ridiculous dude. Just coz it took a tax break to get you guys talking about the Prius and buying it doesn't mean it just hit our shows. Its been around at least 3-4 years, and we have already discovered and discussed it. It wasn't right for the market then, and it isn't now. Maybe in about a year, since plenty of guinea pigs jumped on the bandwagon, but not yet.

Peri, I know that in has been there for few years without getting any major attention from anybody.Tax reduction was the cause which allowed hybrids to get into the market.I just wanted to say that for whatever the reason only now it's getting the attention from the people.So thats why i felt that this is the better time to talk regarding that :rolleyes:

yes you are right there is no better time to talk regarding hybrids than now,as it just hit in to the market.as i highlighted above do not ever expect a favorable or any expert replies regarding hybrids specially Prius,from senior members.what i have experienced here is AL senior members are little bit of biased on Euro cars.I maybe wrong but This is what i feel. If you are going to expect some expert idea from them,most probably you are not going to get it as senior members won't use hybrids and i noticed most of them prefers to stay with conventional petrol engine euro cars.

What i personally feel is AL should be a auto mobile community which is open for all type of preferences.I think i have made here fare enough explanation.I'm junior than you in this forum although i made more posts than you from few months.

It's not about Euros or Japs. It's not cause they like or don't like hybrids. It's simply cause people around here actually like cars. An enthusiast is not going to worry about how many kmpls he can squeeze out of his vehicle. Or how much of a profit he can make by readjusting the odo and then selling it for an absolute ridiculous price. It's not that one-sided for some of us.

• Like 2

yes you are right there is no better time to talk regarding hybrids than now,as it just hit in to the market.as i highlighted above do not ever expect a favorable or any expert replies regarding hybrids specially Prius,from senior members.what i have experienced here is AL senior members are little bit of biased on Euro cars.

AS humans are not perfect i don't think there is a car on this earth made to satisfy every human being. :rolleyes:

i agree with you!! the replies to threads regarding Hybrids are very negative

• Like 1

this is ridiculous!! everyone should have the freedom to start a thread they want!!

If I were you I'd shut up. You are in the top five on the list of people who post useless threads.

• Like 1

Dude, you see that sorta thing, msg me immediately!

Yep saw the same thing, some guy posted all the details of the prices and ranges of the vehicles he imported on a someones wall.

(i think ?) it was on rockerz's wall, but its not there anymore.

I believe it was about double cabs or something :unsure:

A strange post for someone who lives in the country that has the most hybrids on the road after Japan.

People here buy hybrids to save energy and cut down emissions. Hybrids are more expensive compared to their gasoline counterparts. Owning a hybrid here makes a statement about how 'green' you are. And I respect that. Everyone should be concerned about the impact we leave on the environment. I never said I hate hybrids, however I hate gas guzzling Hummers.

However in SL people are not buying hybrids for that reason, but merely because the tax advantage....

Edited by madmax

I vote against banning Hybrid owners since,

For the record- I voted against it myself. I just wanted open up a different perspective on things...

• Like 1

For the record- I voted against it myself. I just wanted open up a different perspective on things...

or should I say a can of worms... (Green ones)

Not necessarily. I have seen cars that have just been cleared and all they would need is a standard grooming. Most cars that do come to SL are in OK condition. Only some dubious importers resort to buying crashed or really badly treated cars for a song and sell them here after a customary clean up or a repair.

But this particular car was in such a condition that it was sad.

I guess the crazy demand in SL has opened up some dubious supply lines.

I am sure once the cleaning is done, the car will be as good as new... but then...

Either way, not my problem. Just take it as a heads up to all proscriptive car buyers that cheap things no good, good things no cheap, as the Chinese would say... :)

VVTI by any chance were you able to pick out whether it was a UK or Japanese import, out of curiosity ....

Peri, I know that in has been there for few years without getting any major attention from anybody.Tax reduction was the cause which allowed hybrids to get into the market.I just wanted to say that for whatever the reason only now it's getting the attention from the people.So thats why i felt that this is the better time to talk regarding that :rolleyes:

I think you're using the wrong term, which is why what you're saying is wrong. Tax reduction is the reason hybrids gained popularity, not the reason they got into the market. Got into the market means market entry. Its not a popularity thing, its availability.

People here buy hybrids to save energy and cut down emissions. Hybrids are more expensive compared to their gasoline counterparts. Owning a hybrid here makes a statement about how 'green' you are. And I respect that. Everyone should be concerned about the impact we leave on the environment. I never said I hate hybrids, however I hate gas guzzling Hummers.

However in SL people are not buying hybrids for that reason, but merely because the tax advantage....

The U.S. had an up to $3400 tax credit for hybrid vehicles from 2005 to Dec 31 2010. During that time many Americans also chose to purchase a hybrid vehicle mostly to get the tax credit, exactly like many Sri Lankans are doing now. And the goal of the U.S. and Sri Lankan govts in giving out hybrid car tax credits is the same: to get people to buy fuel efficient, low pollution, environmentally friendly cars.

Now the U.S. has phased out hybrid tax credits and moved on to Plug-in hybrid and electric car tax credits: up to $7,500 in federal credits, plus a $2,000 credit for charging equipment installation, plus state-based incentives ($5,000 in California).