• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ban Hybrid Owners From Autolanka?

madmax

117 members have voted

1. 1. Ban Hybrid Owners from the Forum?

• Hell Yeah!
    • No

I'm going to echo what some people said here. Hybrid owners or cars aren't the problem in this website. The problem is a total lack of original content and people like californican who just play with google and post things up here. As a forum for car enthusiasts this shouldn't be a place where a select few answer questions from the majority of members. People need to be able to interact and be able to share ideas and solutions and show off their mods, work etc. in hopes someone else will see it and attempt the same thing and maybe even improve on it. This should also be a site where we could post pictures on a super car and all drool over it. What this shouldn't be is a site where people post the same axio fuel thread over and over again or post a million pictures of a prius or some other common vehicle and waste space and peoples time.

Now I know some of you will whine and say well you don't have to view or reply to a topic if you don't like it. The fact is that some members here actually read through a lot of threads and try their best to give an answer that wll help out the person posting the question. People aren't getting paid to reply to threads, they are here because they love talking about cars and helping people with thier problems.

Every now and again we do get agitated when we see the same thread pop up every week, not because we dislike the people posting or have some personal grudge, it's because we have taken time out of our day to come up with a detailed answer previously and the OP refuses to use the search function and even when asked to he says something amounting to; I want to find it out through a new thread.

People should be considerate to people who actually reply here and use the search.

Another thing that's grinding my gears right now is this whole thing about a few select members playing hero. If someone is wrong, that's it. Stop trying to defend him and let him learn from his mistakes. We've all posted stupid crap here, myself included, and we do learn from our mistakes and be more considerate. This whole thing of defending the newbie is out of had, so is this thing about a million people insulting him. If one guys says use the search bar it should stop at that. I admit I'm guilty of repeating words just as much as a lot of you are. People should also stop getting so butt hurt when every now and again we poke fun at someone. This isn't a government instituition. This is a forum.

Anyway that's all I gotta say...

...............let's hope we all live happily ever after.

• Like 7

And the goal of the U.S. and Sri Lankan govts in giving out hybrid car tax credits is the same: to get people to buy fuel efficient, low pollution, environmentally friendly cars.

Ha ha ha ha! I dunno about the US, but the SL govt doesn't give a damn about the environment. Why the earlier break? Someone thought they could make a few bucks. Why did they stop it? Something went wrong with the plan, probably all the personal imports. Hence the no-notice revision.

This is the same govt that charges some sorta bull crap environmental levy on mobile phone usage. Highly doubt a cent of it goes towards anything to do with environmental conservation. Politicians care about that only as far as it helps their political image, and maybe provides some cover to put some money in their own pockets.

• Like 1

The U.S. had an up to $3400 tax credit for hybrid vehicles from 2005 to Dec 31 2010. During that time many Americans also chose to purchase a hybrid vehicle mostly to get the tax credit, exactly like many Sri Lankans are doing now.

Are you aware of how tax credits work in the US? Unlike the reduction in import duties in SL, there will be NO reduction of price at the point of purchasing the car. You have to wait till the end of year tax filings, then do a itemized deductions as opposed to a simple return and then wait a couple of weeks to get the refund. Could be up to an year before you get that $3400 back. And still the a hybrid will cost more than a similar gas powered car.

And like Peri said I don't think tax break was influenced by environmental concerns at all. There are a lot of things that can be done to cut down vehicle emissions before taking the step towards promoting hybrids.

Edited by madmax

Yeah, like banning the smoke belcching aged commercial vehicles, cutting down on 2 stroke engines, introducing an annual Warrant Of Fitness scheme for ALL vehicles, AND leave no room for short cuts there. The Green test is a joke.

Reducing the number of cars on the roads is the first step. We pump out so much gases stuck in traffic now that a million Hybrids will not help.

Ha ha ha ha! I dunno about the US, but the SL govt doesn't give a damn about the environment. Why the earlier break? Someone thought they could make a few bucks. Why did they stop it? Something went wrong with the plan, probably all the personal imports. Hence the no-notice revision.

This is the same govt that charges some sorta bull crap environmental levy on mobile phone usage. Highly doubt a cent of it goes towards anything to do with environmental conservation. Politicians care about that only as far as it helps their political image, and maybe provides some cover to put some money in their own pockets.

The Prez did say in the 2011 budget speech that he wanted the hybrid and electric car tax cut in order to reduce environmental pollution in Sri Lanka. Whether that's really genuine or not, who knows...

Are you aware of how tax credits work in the US? Unlike the reduction in import duties in SL, there will be NO reduction of price at the point of purchasing the car. You have to wait till the end of year tax filings, then do a itemized deductions as opposed to a simple return and then wait a couple of weeks to get the refund. Could be up to an year before you get that $3400 back. And still the a hybrid will cost more than a similar gas powered car.

And like Peri said I don't think tax break was influenced by environmental concerns at all. There are a lot of things that can be done to cut down vehicle emissions before taking the step towards promoting hybrids.

Yes, I have filed U.S. taxes plenty of times and know how the U.S. tax credit works. Point was, although the U.S. and SL govts are 'subsidizing' hybrids through different methods, at the end of the day, consumers in both countries are paying much less for their hybrid vehicle than if the tax breaks weren't there.

And please elaborate on the "there are lot of things that can be done to cut down vehicle emissions..."

The Prez did say in the 2011 budget speech that he wanted the hybrid and electric car tax cut in order to reduce environmental pollution in Sri Lanka. Whether that's really genuine or not, who knows...

And you believed something that came out of the mouth of a politician?

An article in The Island about the reason for the vehicle tax increase last week

http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_cat=article-details&page=article-details&code_title=23880

Ironic that that call it the Ministry of Finance and Planning

And

Petrol, diesel and food commodities such as milk powder continue to receive considerable tax concessions

huh? Wasn't there extra taxes on petrol and subsidies on diesel? Since when was there tax concessions on petrol? Or are they paying LIOC under the counter?

Right :rolleyes:

Not going into the area of politics here but might i remind you that the same person built a coal power plant lately ? i bet thats pretty green

Fact is the article you posted is right to a certain extent but it doesn't give a wider perspective regarding this whole issue.

When the government initially planned the whole hybrid tax reduction the first concern they had was not about the environment (Pretty sure ) It was about the millions of dollars we lost for crude oil because of the hedging deal and other factors.

The governments brains thought if we bring in fuel efficient vehicle we could minimize the amount of oil imports therefore endorsed hybrids.

That thoroughly planned tactic (Or is it ?) did not clearly work.

Yes the amount of fuel consumption did reduce marginally but what really happened was every Tom,Dick and Harry wanted a hybrid and we were pumping millions of $ to japan and UK.

Which was far more damaging than the oil problem.

I understand that the tax increment did create a lot of problems for people who brought down cars but at this rate everyone would have had a hybrid but no money to pump petrol. Would you people rather have a car and push it to work on an empty stomach ?

Remember how Zimbabwe turned inside out ? We already have a 5000Rs note !

Just something to think about :alc:

• Like 1

I would much prefer if Hybrid Owners were banned from driving below 40km/h in favorable conditions. I was stuck behind a Prius from Rajagiriya to Wellampitiya this morning, and it was funny to see two loaded articulated fuel tankers overtaking it at one point. Yes I'm probably stereotyping, stigmatizing and god knows what else, but by jove, bashing Hybrids is almost as fun as bashing Marutis.

I'm going to echo what some people said here. Hybrid owners or cars aren't the problem in this website. The problem is a total lack of original content and people like californican who just play with google and post things up here. As a forum for car enthusiasts this shouldn't be a place where a select few answer questions from the majority of members. People need to be able to interact and be able to share ideas and solutions and show off their mods, work etc. in hopes someone else will see it and attempt the same thing and maybe even improve on it. This should also be a site where we could post pictures on a super car and all drool over it. What this shouldn't be is a site where people post the same axio fuel thread over and over again or post a million pictures of a prius or some other common vehicle and waste space and peoples time.

Now I know some of you will whine and say well you don't have to view or reply to a topic if you don't like it. The fact is that some members here actually read through a lot of threads and try their best to give an answer that wll help out the person posting the question. People aren't getting paid to reply to threads, they are here because they love talking about cars and helping people with thier problems.

Every now and again we do get agitated when we see the same thread pop up every week, not because we dislike the people posting or have some personal grudge, it's because we have taken time out of our day to come up with a detailed answer previously and the OP refuses to use the search function and even when asked to he says something amounting to; I want to find it out through a new thread.

People should be considerate to people who actually reply here and use the search.

Another thing that's grinding my gears right now is this whole thing about a few select members playing hero. If someone is wrong, that's it. Stop trying to defend him and let him learn from his mistakes. We've all posted stupid crap here, myself included, and we do learn from our mistakes and be more considerate. This whole thing of defending the newbie is out of had, so is this thing about a million people insulting him. If one guys says use the search bar it should stop at that. I admit I'm guilty of repeating words just as much as a lot of you are. People should also stop getting so butt hurt when every now and again we poke fun at someone. This isn't a government instituition. This is a forum.

Well said.... but then again its Sri Lanka at the end of the day its gona be like pouring water on a ducks back or taking the horse to the water and it never drinks it.

I personally am a big fan on many forums Cars, bikes, electronics, playstations etc etc.. they are all so much better.... there is this Indian Bike Forum (xbhp.com) im on and i must say they are very respectful of their members opinions... and me being a member from another country they really respect and take the time to solve doubts and learned pretty much alot.. the same goes for the Playstation hacking forum and everything else...

a forum is supposed to be about helping and solving peoples stuff... i read alot of info on AL alot of useful stuff but get very annoyed wen members just argue for silly things.

Time to make peace guys... teach to those who dont know!!

Re5pect!

• Like 3

Not going into the area of politics here but might i remind you that the same person built a coal power plant lately ? i bet thats pretty green

it is greener than building oil powered plants, which is what the country has been doing while dilly-dallying over the coal plant.

(we've already built hydropower plants just about every where it's viable to build them)

it is greener than building oil powered plants, which is what the country has been doing while dilly-dallying over the coal plant.

(we've already built hydropower plants just about every where it's viable to build them)

thought of brining another side of green story. Hydro plants looks like they're greener but if you consider the overal impact on the eco system, hydro plants are the worst than anything else. The entire eco system around reservoirs has been changed even since we built them, the raining patterns have changed and most reservoirs are now overflowing for an average rain coz sand and soil filled them up. Moral of the story is the ones (including hybrids of course) looks eco friendly/green are not as good as they seem to be.

Further, another fact which is contrary to the general beleive, that the diesel vehicles are more greener than petrol vehicles.

thought of brining another side of green story. Hydro plants looks like they're greener but if you consider the overal impact on the eco system, hydro plants are the worst than anything else. The entire eco system around reservoirs has been changed even since we built them, the raining patterns have changed and most reservoirs are now overflowing for an average rain coz sand and soil filled them up. Moral of the story is the ones (including hybrids of course) looks eco friendly/green are not as good as they seem to be.

yes; the "green verdict" depends on whether we're talking about operating emissions, life-cycle emissions (i.e. emissions during construction and for raw material), or overall environmental impact (more than just emissions)

Further, another fact which is contrary to the general beleive, that the diesel vehicles are more greener than petrol vehicles.

at least for modern common-rail diesels with particulate filters and so on; I think for older (15+ years??) cars petrol was cleaner. or just that diesels are less tolerant of poor maintenance?

yes; the "green verdict" depends on whether we're talking about operating emissions, life-cycle emissions (i.e. emissions during construction and for raw material), or overall environmental impact (more than just emissions)

at least for modern common-rail diesels with particulate filters and so on; I think for older (15+ years??) cars petrol was cleaner. or just that diesels are less tolerant of poor maintenance?

older or newer, the diesel smoke is less toxic. The older versions were even worse where adding lead was a pre-requisite which is not the case with EFI petrol engines.

This is why I drive two 14 year old gas guzzlers that weighs a combined 3 tons.... :)

I am not burdened with a conscience... ;)

Negative. If you hadn't sold the truck, you could've be more greener and a tree hugger .. :P , hybrid owners would've smooched you over that fact too :D

Negative. If you hadn't sold the truck, you could've be more greener and a tree hugger .. :P , hybrid owners would've smooched you over that fact too :D

I'll plant some trees to cover the damage I do. :)

well said mate! agreed 100%!

Well said.... but then again its Sri Lanka at the end of the day its gona be like pouring water on a ducks back or taking the horse to the water and it never drinks it.

I personally am a big fan on many forums Cars, bikes, electronics, playstations etc etc.. they are all so much better.... there is this Indian Bike Forum (xbhp.com) im on and i must say they are very respectful of their members opinions... and me being a member from another country they really respect and take the time to solve doubts and learned pretty much alot.. the same goes for the Playstation hacking forum and everything else...

a forum is supposed to be about helping and solving peoples stuff... i read alot of info on AL alot of useful stuff but get very annoyed wen members just argue for silly things.

Time to make peace guys... teach to those who dont know!!

Re5pect!

So true.i was expecting this sort of thread would come up. i stopped posting couple of months back since the way its going does not fit to my books. i know i have not been posting much ever since i joined. but i have been reading a lot and learned many things. the way some of the recently joined members act is quite rediculous.so better of keeping my ass off. i think every one should be more respectful at each other more than they do.

well i hope our guys would farm and make bio diesel in SL. No need to depend on fossil fuels that wayA

Also...isn't it really interesting that most of the naysayers are the folks who don't contribute to the forum on a daily basis but happily jump in to join the bandwagon?

Almost all the queries are answered by the "seniors" so it's only natural that they get cheesed off by noobs when they dont have the courtesy do adhere to some basic rules when posting.

well i hope our guys would farm and make bio diesel in SL. No need to depend on fossil fuels that wayA

Also...isn't it really interesting that most of the naysayers are the folks who don't contribute to the forum on a daily basis but happily jump in to join the bandwagon?

Almost all the queries are answered by the "seniors" so it's only natural that they get cheesed off by noobs when they dont have the courtesy do adhere to some basic rules when posting.

amen to that. You have to contribute your fair share to any community to earn respect and to dictate your terms if at all,lacking of that could be the reason why these noobs gets bashed by others for jumping in from nowhere, talking crap, promoting popular band wagons and some, yes, jump in to the same band wagon and riding on it while disturbing the entire community. It's common for any community, leave alone this very forum.

What disturbed me most was these so called promotors didn't say a "meek" when one victim posted up asking for a help on fixing his 'new' hybrid.

p.s :- forgot the bio diesel part. though i've heard these projects, those are far from reality in this land. you don't have to grow it as long as used vege oil and coconut oil is there.. in U.S it's very popular (nevertheless it's cheap) to convert vehicles to bio diesel and use as oil burners.

Edited by harshansenadhir

Toyota has said it will have a hybrid version of every one of its models by 2020 ( http://wot.motortrend.com/toyota-to-offer-hybrid-version-of-every-model-by-2020-report-says-9484.html ). One day hybrid technology in a vehicle will be as normal and ordinary as power steering or automatic transmissions. It's the future...like it or not.

Already, regular hybrids are becoming seen as ordinary in major markets, and plug-in hybrids are the exciting next development. Combine a plug-in hybrid with a solar powered recharging station and you have a killer combination.

Toyota has said it will have a hybrid version of every one of its models by 2020 ( http://wot.motortrend.com/toyota-to-offer-hybrid-version-of-every-model-by-2020-report-says-9484.html ). One day hybrid technology in a vehicle will be as normal and ordinary as power steering or automatic transmissions. It's the future...like it or not.

Already, regular hybrids are becoming seen as ordinary in major markets, and plug-in hybrids are the exciting next development. Combine a plug-in hybrid with a solar powered recharging station and you have a killer combination.

see we can't even have a nice debate about banning hybrid owners without this retard comming in an advertising hybrids.......

YOU are the reason people on this forum hate hybrids.

• Like 3