• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Mazda Demio Thread

Lakshan Maduranga

They haven't updated the website. What's in the showroom is exactly same as the one you have posted. There aren't many of those in Sri lanka though. May be 2.

What's on the site is the pre-facelift one. There are quite a few of those on the roads. All of them are sedans. The one advertised here is actually a beautiful colour. U need to keep that waxed and polished to show the real looks of it.

Ah right :P Was disappointed for a moment there thinking that we didn't get that particular facelift.

I had a very close look at the sedan advertised, it's indeed a nice car. My dad however is persistent on going for a hatch, so I doubt I will go for this.

Let me try to brainwash you a lil bit...

Have you thought of a diesel fiat punto?

Lil over a year ago, I suggested forum member Harry to buy a petrol Punto... He did... Bugger liked the car so much, few months later he bought another one!

There's a cult of Fiat/Italian car followers in this country (kinda similar to the lancer cult here in AL)... So u wont have any problem in finding spares and stuff...

Best part is, a 2008 diesel punto should cost less than 2 million, will give at least 15km to the litre (I heard it gives more), has all the bloody options in the world and so far, none of them have actually given any serious trouble according to the mechanics im in touch with (including the car that has done in excess of 300,000km, abused by a doctor who used to run between Kandy and Polgahawela every day).

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

Lil over a year ago, I suggested forum member Harry to buy a petrol Punto... He did... Bugger liked the car so much, few months later he bought another one!

There's a cult of Fiat/Italian car followers in this country (kinda similar to the lancer cult here in AL)... So u wont have any problem in finding spares and stuff...

Best part is, a 2008 diesel punto should cost less than 2 million, will give at least 15km to the litre (I heard it gives more), has all the bloody options in the world and so far, none of them have actually given any serious trouble according to the mechanics im in touch with (including the car that has done in excess of 300,000km, abused by a doctor who used to run between Kandy and Polgahawela every day).

Crosswind, I've been keeping an eye out but I've not seen one advertised less than 2.4 million. The petrol versions were also advertised a bit higher of late. Not sure if these are realistic prices.

Davy and I have a similar issue (though my problem is greater than Davy's). The cars will mostly be used by our fathers, and they are not as mobile and energetic as they once used to be. Mine also has very little insterest in cars :) So please take that into consideration as well :)

Back in 2005 or so, one of my friends were looking to buy a car on permit and he was looking for a hatch. I went with him to the Fiat showroom and there was an orange Punto (it was a Grande Punto if I remember correctly). That car instantly caught my eye and I was quite surprised at how much they have added to that little car. I wish I had the money on me to buy one back then.

So I totally agree with you on the Punto. It's a great car and I would have certainly bought one if I was in SL right now. One question though and sorry for my ignorance but why a diesel? I've never owned a diesel and my knowledge about diesels are quite limited. So please enlighten me.

Crosswind, I've been keeping an eye out but I've not seen one advertised less than 2.4 million. The petrol versions were also advertised a bit higher of late. Not sure if these are realistic prices.

Davy and I have a similar issue (though my problem is greater than Davy's). The cars will mostly be used by our fathers, and they are not as mobile and energetic as they once used to be. Mine also has very little insterest in cars :) So please take that into consideration as well :)

This is exactly what I'm worried about The Don. My dad was more of a grease monkey than I am. He is the reason why I'm also into cars. However, his interest seems to have deteriorated over the years and I was a bit disappointed to see that. Mostly because they are not up to date with what's going on with new cars.

This is a fine example:

Just weeks before I sold my Lancer, he was using it and one random day the clutch wouldn't work. The first thing he did was call me and ask if he can replace the clutch cable. :) I had to explain to him that things have drastically changed over the time that cars used cables for clutches. This is the same person who once replaced the clutch cable of one of the cars we used to had, on his own, because the cable broke right in the middle of traffic at Dematagoda. I looked in amazement at how he did that in a matter of 15 minutes or so after taking a tuk tuk to Panchi and getting a replacement cable. :) He did all carb repairs on his own, but I know for a fact that he is not too comfortable about taking apart an EFI system.

So I totally agree with you on the Punto. It's a great car and I would have certainly bought one if I was in SL right now. One question though and sorry for my ignorance but why a diesel? I've never owned a diesel and my knowledge about diesels are quite limited. So please enlighten me.

This thread should cover the answer to your question. Specially post No. 68 onwards

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15562-fiat-punto-20072008/page-4

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I've been looking to buy a decent demio (say YOM 2009 or above with mileage below 70K) for past 2 months.

They pops in rare occasions in Autolanka, but when I contacted them (usually day after advertising) they are already sold. With my busy work life I dont have a time to travel here and there as soon as a car pops in :(

Does anyone know or has a Demio to sell? If you do can you kindly contact me? (send me a message and I'll call you)

I'm looking for Metallic grey (gun metal) or Silver color cars with CVT

Apart from that Do you guys have an idea about price(final in LKR) of a 2015 demio (skyactiv engine with new masculine body)? (to buy from colonial motors or to import from an auction)?

Thanks in advance for all your helpful comments :)

Join the club! I've been hunting down a decent Demio myself, but the good ones seem to be selling out like hot cakes! Didn't actually know that it was a car that had such a huge demand until I tried tracking one down. I called up six fully loaded Demios and all of them were sold. I missed one yesterday by a couple of hours. :( It was a minter too.

I made a post in the thread below, try reading up on the answer posted by iRage especially about all the grades. Not sure if we have any new Demios here which came with the Skyactive engine. We don't even seem to be having the Demio facelift model (post 2011).

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/13251-mazda-demio/#entry274484

EDIT: I saw several WANTED ads for the Demio on one of the other popular classifieds sites. Guess there are so many others looking for them (unless they were posted by you :))

Edited by Davy

Join the club! I've been hunting down a decent Demio myself, but the good ones seem to be selling out like hot cakes! Didn't actually know that it was a car that had such a huge demand until I tried tracking one down. I called up six fully loaded Demios and all of them were sold. I missed one yesterday by a couple of hours. :( It was a minter too.

I made a post in the thread below, try reading up on the answer posted by iRage especially about all the grades. Not sure if we have any new Demios here which came with the Skyactive engine. We don't even seem to be having the Demio facelift model (post 2011).

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/13251-mazda-demio/#entry274484

EDIT: I saw several WANTED ads for the Demio on one of the other popular classifieds sites. Guess there are so many others looking for them (unless they were posted by you :))

Hi Devy

actually I missed one demio yesterday. It was a nice one with white seats (Might be the same one you missed).

And went to check another demio at matara. it is a KV number but lol it seems to be repaired after an accident. it vibrates like a landmaster :D though owners played dumb :D. good looking car but only a crazy or fool will buy that :D

yep I posted one wanted ad in that site (one with english and sinhala description)

Its funny why people say mazdas are hard to sell while we cant get hold one :D

Edited by aruna1

Hi Devy

actually I missed one demio yesterday. It was a nice one with white seats (Might be the same one you missed).

And went to check another demio at matara. it is a KV number but lol it seems to be repaired after an accident. it vibrates like a landmaster :D though owners played dumb :D. good looking car but only a crazy or fool will buy that :D

yep I posted one wanted ad in that site (one with english and sinhala description)

Its funny why people say mazdas are hard to sell while we cant get hold one :D

Oh damn. My parents told me about the car in Matara and I even encouraged them to go and see it. Thanks for the heads up (I hope you are not tricking me so that you can buy it. :D)

I saw your WANTED ad. That was the only descriptive one actually.

I guess the only thing to do is keep an eye on the classifieds and hope that they're not sold at the time you make the call. This is more challenging for me, because I'm overseas and it's my parents who are following my instructions and hunting down the cars. So I have to advice them on what to ask the seller and what not. I have a very specific set of requirements like you (CVT gearbox, fully loaded etc.), so it's really hard locating one with all of them. There are several basic Demios on classifieds and they seem to be hard to sell.

Anyway, hope you find a good car soon. Wish me the same. :)

EDIT: By the way , the one I missed yesterday was also one with beige/black seats. Was in Kotte. KN number.

Edited by Davy

lol no tricks, if it was good car I would have buy it yesterday. it vibrates so hard even plastics in side begin to make scratching noises :D, and gear shifting was also a mess probably gear box is also messed up. it was 2nd owner but this man keeps it open papers :D

yep KN car is the one I missed :D

do you have an idea about the cost to import one?

lets hope both of us can find a good cars soon.

Oh damn. My parents told me about the car in Matara and I even encouraged them to go and see it. Thanks for the heads up (I hope you are not tricking me so that you can buy it. :D)

I saw your WANTED ad. That was the only descriptive one actually.

I guess the only thing to do is keep an eye on the classifieds and hope that they're not sold at the time you make the call. This is more challenging for me, because I'm overseas and it's my parents who are following my instructions and hunting down the cars. So I have to advice them on what to ask the seller and what not. I have a very specific set of requirements like you (CVT gearbox, fully loaded etc.), so it's really hard locating one with all of them. There are several basic Demios on classifieds and they seem to be hard to sell.

Anyway, hope you find a good car soon. Wish me the same. :)

EDIT: By the way , the one I missed yesterday was also one with beige/black seats. Was in Kotte. KN number.

do you have an idea about the cost to import one?

Not sure mate. I don't think I will go through the hassle of importing one actually. I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to get my hands on a good example if I wait patiently.

• 2 weeks later...

She's home!!! :)

After weeks of peering through online classifieds, I managed to get my father a 2008 Mazda Demio DE3FS. Managed to snatch it as soon as it appeared on a classifieds site. The car is a 13C-V. It's a fully loaded one with Fog lamps, HID Projector headlamps, Tachometer, Multifunction steering, 15 inch factory alloys and of course a CVT gearbox!

The car was bought from it's first owner and it has a documented history on how it arrived in SL + services and repairs done since then. It has just below 47,000km on the clock and the colour is metallic grey. The price tag was 2.5M.

My father seems to love the car and my brother in law (who did most of the driving) tells me that it's an absolute minter. Wish I was there to see the car in person, but I'm really glad the wait is finally over and that I got the exact car I wanted. :)

Thank you for all who advised and shared your opinions with regard to this.

Zoom - Zoom!

• Like 5

Congratulations to both of you !!! We have few Demio owners in the forum now :smilie_liebe9:

@aruna1: You should be able to find it just by driving your car. You feel the gear change if it is AT. And RPM drops a bit at the gear change. You get smooth & constant acceleration if it is a CVT.

Edited by Sameera Gunasinghe

brought mine today also.

2009, 41k mileage

don't know whether its cvt or AT (anyway to find it?)

purchased for 2.5mil from the first owner.

well that wanted ad really worked. :D

Woah nice! Congratulations aruna1! Silver one in Kandana?

As Sameera has stated above, you should be able to tell the difference between a regular automatic and CVT just by the driving experience. If you want to go a step further, you can give your chassis number to C0lonial M0tors and get them to check for you.

Congratulations to both of you !!! We have few Demio owners in the forum now :smilie_liebe9:

@aruna1: You should be able to find it just by driving your car. You feel the gear change if it is AT. And RPM drops a bit at the gear change. You get smooth & constant acceleration if it is a CVT.

Thanks Sameera! All of us should meet up sometime.

Anyone else who has a 2007 - 2014 Demio?

I found the following documents online while I was looking up on the car. Sharing them if anyone is interested. All of the documents below are for the Mazda 2, but they sure are informative (especially the Owner's Manual).

Catalogs:
- 2011 Mazda 2 Smart Start Guide [Download]
- 2012 Mazda 2 Smart Start Guide [Download]
- 2013 Mazda 2 Smart Start Guide [Download]

Owner's Manuals:

- 2011 Mazda 2 Owner's Manual (US Version) [Download]

- 2012 Mazda 2 Owner's Manual (US Version) [Download]

- 2013 Mazda 2 Owner's Manual (US Version) [Download]

I will update the catalogs thread as well.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 3

Hi Davy,

Thanks, actually as far as I know, the car was never advertised. He said he saw my ad in ######, and mailed me before advertising it.

I called him, and I said I need to check it with a garage and if all is well I will buy it. he agreed and told me yes sure, lets check it first and then if you don't like it, I'll advertise the car.

He is really a good man, not like the crook (doctor) I tried to buy a demio earlier. :)

Hi Davy,

Thanks, actually as far as I know, the car was never advertised. He said he saw my ad in ######, and mailed me before advertising it.

I called him, and I said I need to check it with a garage and if all is well I will buy it. he agreed and told me yes sure, lets check it first and then if you don't like it, I'll advertise the car.

He is really a good man, not like the crook (doctor) I tried to buy a demio earlier. :)

I see. That sounds good, and glad that the car is in good condition.

Hey!! Welcome to the Mazda owner’s club guys!! :action-smiley-033:

I’m so glad that both of you managed to get a hold of the cars you really wanted. And I hope that this story doesn’t end at the point where “Two great guys buying two great cars and then they lived happily ever after”. We need pictures!! And I hope you will continue to keep this thread rolling with updates. :action-smiley-035:

• Like 2

I'm still not used to this accelerator. when you start from halt, if you press accelerator slightly, it want move. if I press it little bit more, then there is a quick acceleration.

adrenaline pumping, but not smooth I would say.

btw, I am driving a suzuki kei manual car, which I love. very good handling with good thrill (even though it has a 3 cylinder 660cc engine)