• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Reflections On Sri Lanka's Automotive History By Mr. Sylvi Wijesinghe

Supra_Natural

Kavvas,

Will write full detail about your post of the said Colombo 2 building. within next few days.

I remember visiting in Singapore, there are few buildings, with similar architecture Colonial leaders built during their governing days. At present restored by owners fully by,  with the help of Singapore government like same architecture when the British build and controlled the island.

2 WW history if any one read can find Japanese attacked took over the island (2) twice but British, fought back took over again. I remember reading the Singapore island once was a large camp owned and maintained for Japanese POW, and they had many unwanted treatment by Japanese army.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

27 minutes ago, Sylvi said:

Kavvas,

Will write full detail about your post of the said Colombo 2 building. within next few days.

I will look forward to that Mr Sylvi. 

27 minutes ago, Sylvi said:

I remember visiting in Singapore, there are few buildings, with similar architecture Colonial leaders built during their governing days. At present restored by owners fully by,  with the help of Singapore government

I was also very fortunate to have had an opportunity to visit a building that had been restored & then preserved in a similar manner: In this instance a high rise building had been built above and around it, but the original building had been preserved as part of the 2 ground floors in a very contentious manner.

I hope going forward we can also preserve important buildings from our past in Sri Lanka as well, without tearing them down in the middle of the night like they did in Kurunagela etc...

I shall look forward to hearing any anecdotes you have about the De Soysa building etc.

Best wishes, Kavvz. 

On 6/21/2021 at 3:01 AM, Kavvz said:

I will look forward to that Mr Sylvi. 

I was also very fortunate to have had an opportunity to visit a building that had been restored & then preserved in a similar manner: In this instance a high rise building had been built above and around it, but the original building had been preserved as part of the 2 ground floors in a very contentious manner.

I hope going forward we can also preserve important buildings from our past in Sri Lanka as well, without tearing them down in the middle of the night like they did in Kurunagela etc...

I shall look forward to hearing any anecdotes you have about the De Soysa building etc.

Best wishes, Kavvz. 

• 3 months later...
On 6/22/2021 at 5:14 AM, Sylvi said:

Mr. kavvs.

My long delay in reply was I was not feeling in good health, I used to log in to A/L on and of not regularly.

Yesterday I came to know that building is completely demolished and I was unable to get any more information about same. 

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sylvi said:

My long delay in reply was I was not feeling in good health, I used to log in to A/L on and of not regularly.

Yesterday I came to know that building is completely demolished and I was unable to get any more information about same. 

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Hi Mr Sylvi. Thank you for your response despite your ill-health: I hope you feel better.

And yes the De Soyza building has unfortunately been completely demolished. Its too bad, but as it was located on premium Colombo real estate I guess that was to be expected.

Hopefully the the majority of the money from the sale of the land goes towards something fruitful that is beneficial and not into the pockets of our greedy politicians...

Roar media did a pretty informative piece on it which I shall attach below incase you are interested:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Members,

First of all I have to thank member Mr. Kavaas for following my POSTS to A/L.

I am ok at present I got my Cataract  operated left Eye Laser treatment done because the Eye vison was getting little blurred, therefore I visited my Surgeon who did the operation and he took me to a separate room within a minute he did the  Laser treatment I was OK.

About Colombo 02 Property where De Soysa Building adjoining road there are two buildings left, because the owners are not satisfied with the compensation what the UDA had offered.

One building owner Mr. Asgar Moosajee visited me few days back and told his story. He and the Tyrel shop owner wants more for their buildings. Todays value, not the cost when they build the buildings. Therefore they cannot develop that road.

Will write more later.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sylvi said:

I am ok at present I got my Cataract  operated left Eye Laser treatment done because the Eye vison was getting little blurred, therefore I visited my Surgeon who did the operation and he took me to a separate room within a minute he did the  Laser treatment I was OK.

Mr Sylvi: I'm happy to hear that your cataract operation was successful and that everything went through smoothly with no complications. 

About Colombo 02 Property where De Soysa Building adjoining road there are two buildings left,

Oh really ? That's good news! But at this point I suppose there is little effort going into conserving as that whole area has been earmarked for 'development'...

One building owner Mr. Asgar Moosajee visited me few days back and told his story. He and the Tyrel shop owner wants more for their buildings. Todays value, not the cost when they build the buildings. Therefore they cannot develop that road.

This is an interesting development!! Please do keep us informed 

Edited by Kavvz

49 minutes ago, Sylvi said:

Members,

I changed my profile picture because the picture was about 10 years old, therefore I uploded anew picture of mine.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

You're looking great Mr Sylvi! A very trending hairstyle I see too!! 

(A lot of the original members are all now sporting the same haircut or getting close to it, including myself! 😆 🤣 😂!!) 

Edited by Kavvz

Mr. Kavvz,

Thank you for comment about my hair style.

About 40 years back my hair started to become gray I went on for some time like that way.

Then my sister was living with me she was spinster, completely had gray hairs by her age of about 35 years of her age, she started applying various hair dyes. One day when she got up in the morning her face had a swelling, did not take any action for that by evening she was looking like a Chinese with her face had changed completely.  She faced a big problem cannot come out,  we had good friend Doctor called him. He visited in the evening after work my sister was shy to inform the story, any how she came out Doctor was unable to recognize her. He at once put her on some allergy tablets and Calamine lotion to be applied three to four times a day. that treatment took about six days for my sister to come back to normal. Our friend Doctor recommended a very expensive hair dye, till about 75 years she used to apply that then she slowly gave up in about a year and she expired at 84 years. When she expired she was completely gray.

That was a lesson for me, never to apply any dye on hair. I was taking very shot hair cuts later I completely used to get my head a shave.

Now I am 78+ years old by 31st December I will be coming to my 79th year. Do not now when the final call will come. We all Have to expect for that. I am a very happy person for my past.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

On 11/4/2021 at 1:16 AM, Sylvi said:

Mr. Kavvz,

Thank you for comment about my hair style.

About 40 years back my hair started to become gray I went on for some time like that way.

Then my sister was living with me she was spinster, completely had gray hairs by her age of about 35 years of her age, she started applying various hair dyes. One day when she got up in the morning her face had a swelling, did not take any action for that by evening she was looking like a Chinese with her face had changed completely.  She faced a big problem cannot come out,  we had good friend Doctor called him. He visited in the evening after work my sister was shy to inform the story, any how she came out Doctor was unable to recognize her. He at once put her on some allergy tablets and Calamine lotion to be applied three to four times a day. that treatment took about six days for my sister to come back to normal. Our friend Doctor recommended a very expensive hair dye, till about 75 years she used to apply that then she slowly gave up in about a year and she expired at 84 years. When she expired she was completely gray.

That was a lesson for me, never to apply any dye on hair. I was taking very shot hair cuts later I completely used to get my head a shave.

Now I am 78+ years old by 31st December I will be coming to my 79th year. Do not know when the final call will come. We all Have to expect for that. I am a very happy person for my past.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

On 11/3/2021 at 3:46 PM, Sylvi said:

I was taking very shot hair cuts later I completely used to get my head a shave.

Shaving one's head completely has now become very trendy and many Hollywood stars of my generation (Bruce Willis, Vin Diesel, The Rock etc ) all sport your hairstyle! So Kudos on that decision! Plus as noted by you its probably more healthy than dying your hair. 

On 11/3/2021 at 3:46 PM, Sylvi said:

I am a very happy person

Definitely great to hear! I certainly have noticed that you seem to live life to the fullest which is awesome! I think if we ALL try to be happy and find joy in the lifestyle we have (with moderation of course); society will prosper and the world will be a happier place! 

My best wishes to you Mr Sylvi: Its always lovely to hear from you. Your posts on life in Colombo and the motoring community from times-gone-by are priceless. Thank you for sharing your memories with us. 

Edited by Kavvz

Members,

One old member in A/l visited my work shop, until my workers were doing his work we were discussing about A/L. He informs me that he came to know me and about my service about 8 years ago through A/L. Today many have shifted to Face book due to that A/L posts are not like few years back. Then any motor vehicle problem many got advice, also recommended good Automobile service providers. At present many new members discus about how to buy a vehicle and their costs.

He informs me that face book any vehicle problem can be solved with the groups who advice them. I do not know this is true or not.

I have joined only to Suzuki Avery group I get posts about more Avery vehicles are for sale. 

Like to know members comments. 

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Members,

I have uploaded few pictures of an Exercise machine fabricated by one of my worker for myself.

The machine is working on 230 Volts AC. I can adjust voltage to give different vibrations.

I get on to the vibration table for about 15 Minuts daily. 

Cost of the above machine was Rupees about 15000/00 with the motor. 

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.