• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Triumph T R Restore Project

MasterDon

UVGYZ.jpg

Recently got myself a set of chromed TRIUMPH letters that comes in front of the car.But I'm in two minds wondering wether to actually put them on the car or not.I feel as if they'd clutter up the face and make it seem 'busy' and spoil it....

What do you guys think?...on or off?

With the lettters...

Rw4gs.jpg

and without.

R5He1.jpg

I feel it looks good without em'..

btw those driving lamps look like a decent add-on

Edited by tiv

i would vote for the without option too the car look better to me without triumph letters in it's face. :)

btw +1 to tvi those lamps look good on that car.

Edited by nexus

I dont think its a fair comparison.. NO offense but the photo that has the letters is a horrible photo while the other is a clearer better framed shot. the car too is in a better condition. Its kinda like putting some lipstick on a homeless hobo and taking a camera phone photo and comparing a Cindy Crawford magazine cover without lipstick and asking about the quality of the lipstick...

Back to the car, but If you spaced out the letters more and put them on, it might look nicer. :)

edit: you could always try sticking it on with some light adhesive and taking a look at it before fitting them on permanently.

Edited by Watchman

Thanks for the comments guys.I highly value your opinions.

@Watchman.I agree.but that's the only picture I could find on the net and fb with the letters attached.I guess most owners like to have them off.And there's no way to glue them on and see machan because the letters have half inch long threaded studs attached to the back so you'd have to actually drill the front apron to attach them.That's why I'm worrying about it now even before the paint is finished.

So in the end I've decided what most of you have suggested and do without the letters,plus I don't feel like drilling holes in the front apron.And as for the lamps,yes I have the set and will be mounting them on the front buffer like the one in the picture.

can't you just cut those studs off and make it to rely on the adhesive even as a permenant solution as I'm oppose to the idea of drilling a body (I know it's the original setup, but still)

if that's the case you can fix it temporary and compare. Personally prefer the "photo without letters" don't know how an actual/equal comparison would change my mind as Watchman said.

OTOH, are those car designers going backward on the time ? look at the design of the hood of newer cars, such as Belta's, 141's and whatnot. The hood starts from just behind the facia panel, just like in this vintage.

• Like 1

Here are some random pics of the engine assembly.Unfortunately I wasn't there for the most of it and missed a lot...

This is the chamber the liners go in,two at a time.Once in the liners will be surrounded by coolant hence they're called wet liners

1WkyD.jpg

The figure of 8 gaskets I mentioned earlier.They go between the liner bottom and the block so as to stop coolant leaking in to the sump.

Gd0ps.jpg

Edited by MasterDon

• 2 weeks later...

The engine is assembled and finished.Now waiting for the carbs to be rebuilt.After the initial startup It will be taken apart again for painting.The starter motor and the dynamo has been repaired and serviced by an auto electrician.

S2Lbs.jpg

• Like 2

The Carburretors

gnI4B.jpg

The TR comes with twin SU carbs.These are very simple as carbs come but can be a bitch to sychronize.There are only about 4 or 5 people who can tune them up properly in SL.

Here they are as they were fixed to the engine.

6mqOg.jpg

Edited by MasterDon

So after I removed them from the engine I decided to do a preliminary inspection to see the condition it was in.A parts catalogue would come in handy to mark down the necessary parts needed.

v5BEJ.jpg

First up,The oil dampers are unscrewed.

The purpose of the SU damper is to retard the rapid upward movement of the piston on rapid throttle opening associated with acceleration. This delay in piston movement causes a momentary decrease in pressure at the throat thus achieving a momentary increase in richness much the same as with an accelerator pump. The weight of the oil in the damper determines the amount of dampening.

Fkqsz.jpg

And straight away there is a problem.one of the damper 'rods' are missing.The missing part is nowhere to be found.

WIpSV.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 2

So after I removed them from the engine I decided to do a preliminary inspection to see the condition it was in.A parts catalogue would come in handy to mark down the necessary parts needed.

v5BEJ.jpg

adey this was that expensive car thing we were playing about over beer that day yeah?

Great to see the project progressing fast MD...

I've run out of my quota of votes for the day so can't rep up your posts :(

awesome job of documenting the work been done!

• Like 2