• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ford Cortinas

denuka perera

i didn't see the car yet, but the owner said the roof is corroded badly and from some places of floorboard rust is falling off, he said i would have to spend additional 100000rs to get a descent look

I would say that is a conservative estimate. When water gets in you get very widespread corrosion as well as well as the interior being ruined by mould. Having said that restoring it is not impossible which is amply demonstrated by the many restorations done by fellow forum members. Assess the car with a mechanic and bodywork person, get an estimate and add about 50K to it as contingency.

I dont wish to scare the OP but a good decent paint job with good quality components and paint (2k) will cost about 120k from a person like David Todd (i think he gurantees against bubbling of paint and all that)

before you buy one has to take the costs into account (tinkering might show the need to change rubber beedings and all that too as they would have perished after so may years and will break into pieces when removing the windscreen)

I would say that is a conservative estimate. When water gets in you get very widespread corrosion as well as well as the interior being ruined by mould. Having said that restoring it is not impossible which is amply demonstrated by the many restorations done by fellow forum members. Assess the car with a mechanic and bodywork person, get an estimate and add about 50K to it as contingency.

thanx don i just got news of another cortina ,which is in madampe .and can be bought much cheaper than the previous one ,here is a pic of a gxl going around 200k ,but the interior is not good

I am more worried about the exterior. When it comes to cars think of it in this way.

1. Restoring interior as in seats etc can be done locally as it is re up holstering.

2. If the engine has problems and spares are available it can be fixed up easily, though depending on the work the cost can go up. For example an engine rebuild can cost you north of 60K, while as if its just piston rings around 40K.

3. If interior or exterior bits are missing trim etc finding them for old cars can be a costly exercise.

4. The most costly restoration is in the body, particularly if previous guys have messed the job up.

So favour a car which has all the original bits still attached and a makabass has not destroyed as you can fix the rest of it up and bring the car to original condition relatively easily compared to the other way round.

ok thanx don i got the point,and car boy who is david todd ,however there is a local guy with a lot of experience who is ideal for the job.Guys there is another thing i wanna know what's the cost of the canopy because i am not sure of the price and where to find a good place

ok thanx don i got the point,and car boy who is david todd ,however there is a local guy with a lot of experience who is ideal for the job.Guys there is another thing i wanna know what's the cost of the canopy because i am not sure of the price and where to find a good place

Again I think the canopy can be re done locally. Check with a local upholstering place.

David Todd is a race driver who owns a garage in Kohuwela and does a lot of work on older cars his garage is good and professional,charges as you can expect from a good place is not that cheap but the work is good he does painting too

ok thanx for the info mate, but as u know my budget is low so i can't afford him can anyone tell me the price of the canopy

Denuka, you should never underestimate the responsibility and eventual costs of buying a vehicle on the cheap with a lot of work. The cost of restoring it can far exceed its value. This once happened to my family too. It can be a false economy.

• Like 1

I dont mean to dishearten you bro, but the hard truth is that your budget wont get you a car that you can drive hassle free or keep it that way for long.

My suggestion is save up for a while longer and try to double your budget; that should give you a reliable car; but if you're absolutely in need of personal transport, go for a motorcycle. Your budget will get you one in great condition (or even brand new).

@ watchman i do have a bike machan ,but i need a car ,however looking at the rate of taxes going up i'll happen to keep on saving and never buy a car ,who can say when the next tax hike is,i just wanna buy the car first and then restore it slowly, i have no hurry anyways the reason i am a bit active on this subject is i am on vacation these days so i have more time to spend on finding a car if u know of a car going around 200000 let me know machan @ Don i don't have a big budget to spend at once machan that's why i am going for a cheap one by the way do any of u know of a place where i can get a leasing for this kind of a car, i searched a few places but they don't give a lease for cars below 19 sri

Go for a Mitsubishi lancer flat/L light. My dad bought a L light lancer like 4 years ago for 1.25 laks, we used it as a second car in the family. it ran well with no problems and spare parts were available.

http://autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=76235

think about it brother, if you are going to fully restore a cortina its going to take way more than 2 laks these days. its best to save up a little more go for that ^

I second that a Mitsubishi Lancer Flat light or tube light will be around 225-325 range

great cars and plenty of spares and good re-sale value too

alternatively speak to Sumiya on the forum he is into Datsuns which you can buy for ur budget and very economical and good cars

Go for a Mitsubishi lancer flat/L light. My dad bought a L light lancer like 4 years ago for 1.25 laks, we used it as a second car in the family. it ran well with no problems and spare parts were available.

think about it brother, if you are going to fully restore a cortina its going to take way more than 2 laks these days. its best to save up a little more go for that ^

That is a fantastic looking lancer. Is that yours?