• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Engine Oil

hhrxz

No...if we consider

15w40 as an example.

15 is the viscocity at zero celcius and 40 is the viscocity at working temperature.Probably 85 to 100 celculius.

W stands for winter.

Yes chan you correct that W means Winter grade, and the 2nd number means operating temperature. But as I said 15W doesn't actually mean any particular viscosity at 0'C. But it is a grading defined by SAE J300 standard for Winter temperatures such as 0W, 5W, 10W etc.

Operating temperature corresponds to 100'C always.

Please keep in mind that all manufacturers quote their engine oil viscosities for 40'C and 100'C only. Evidence,

http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-super-2000-formula-p-10w40.aspx#

(See technical specs tab in the link).

If you see a data sheet, actually the viscosity cSt at 40'C is already about 100cSt. Do it will further increase at 0'C.

(Viscosity increases with reducing temperature).

In fact, the standard J300 defines another cold cranking property to arrive at this Winter grade. There is no mention about 0'C.post-45859-0-49179400-1431757607_thumb.jpost-45859-0-49179400-1431757607_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

Guys,

I am having FB 15 car with 92000 km on ODO. Yesterday I did my service at Nissan and they used Castrol GTX 20W50. Since this is higher viscosity oil, I asked the reason and they said it is okay for this millage. Previously I serviced from Pitstop and they used Castrol Magnatec 10W40. I searched the internet and found that GTX 20W50 is recommended for millage more than 75000 miles (121000 km). Now I am bit worried about using this oil for next 5000 km.

Is it okay to use this oil till next service ? is there any adverse affect to the engine ?

Thank you

1 hour ago, Thilina007 said:

Guys,

I am having FB 15 car with 92000 km on ODO. Yesterday I did my service at Nissan and they used Castrol GTX 20W50. Since this is higher viscosity oil, I asked the reason and they said it is okay for this millage. Previously I serviced from Pitstop and they used Castrol Magnatec 10W40. I searched the internet and found that GTX 20W50 is recommended for millage more than 75000 miles (121000 km). Now I am bit worried about using this oil for next 5000 km.

Is it okay to use this oil till next service ? is there any adverse affect to the engine ?

Thank you

The oil awailable at the time may have been used,..yes the previous change was the ideal viscosity for your appplication,.just ask for the 10W40 next time,..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thilina007 said:

Guys,

Thank you

Odometer reading is not necessarily a basis for deciding on a higher viscosity oil. Regardless whether the odometer reading is genuine or not, if you did not notice a significant reduction in oil level between services while on 10W40 you can safely continue to use the same. You need not worry about using 20W50 for now and but revert back to 10W40 at the next service. 

• Like 1

Thank you guys.

@Twin Turbo yep might be. But such actions are not acceptable from reputed place like that. ???

@Clark's son haha yes Bro. But the previous owner gave me the service records and he is a genuine gentlemen. So I believe ODO is okay.

@Rumesh88 Yes. There is no noticeable oil reduction. I will revert it back in next service. Thanks Bro. It won't affect the engine for the next 5000 km isn't it ? ???

As always, support of you guys are really valuable. Thanks 

Thank you guys.

@Twin Turbo yep might be. But such actions are not acceptable from reputed place like that. ???

@Clark's son haha yes Bro. But the previous owner gave me the service records and he is a genuine gentlemen. So I believe ODO is okay.

@Rumesh88 Yes. There is no noticeable oil reduction. I will revert it back in next service. Thanks Bro. It won't affect the engine for the next 5000 km isn't it ? ???

Cheers , 

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo

Thank you guys.

Do you have service records from the day the car was manufactured?

On 12/18/2016 at 11:29 AM, Thilina007 said:

Guys,

Thank you

Yes 92k is not a high mileage for engine, so 20w -50 not suitable for it because is thinkness of the oil. Then what happen is your engine warn early due to lack of oil movements. So please remove oil as soon as possible and re-fill with 10w-40 or 15-40 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi all, 

My car is vios 2007 and milage is 115000 km....I bought it at the milage 99000km first I used toyota 15w40. But with that grade oil buring is much higher so my mechanic recommend to use monograde caltex super plus 40 and since then oil burning is bearly noticible.

Is that monograde oil ok with my 1NZ engine?

And seems like there is some slug in my engine and a mechanic said that toyota oils are slug makers. Is this correct?

38 minutes ago, ThushanthaSrimal said:

Yes I guess so. Any idea about slug issue? Isnt that slug forms due to poor oil change intervals? 

Your car was most likely a gangrape victim who was nicely dressed up to marry off to you. 

Sludge is probably due to not changing oil in the past. Now you are only stuck with difficult choices. 

6 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Your car was most likely a gangrape victim who was nicely dressed up to marry off to you. 

Sludge is probably due to not changing oil in the past. Now you are only stuck with difficult choices. 

Ha ha....

I knew about the slug when I bought that one and comparied to the price I got I decided to go with it. No other problems....