• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rugby Season 2012

Abstracted from the Daily mirror :D

:whistle2:

Yeah, I know what you're implying but the fact is the author is either a dimwit or someone with scores to settle. It's true that Thomians stayed at Waterfront hotel last week but quite a few people (other than coaching staff) accompanied them there so it's hard to pin on them + they don't hv 5 colorsmen sitting on the bench.

I know some people would wet themselves with glee hoping this would be Royal OTOH, but Royal never played in Kandy last week - didn't stay at a hotel anywhere close to a river (when they played previous week) - don't hv 5 colorsmen on bench (other than when replaced at the end of the match) - don't hv imports - haven't had a formal brainstorming session after the season kicked off, so tough luck there.

Still remains a figment of imagination me thinks.

Update: According to a source at Sunday Times, my suggestion of dimwit/malice seems to be true. The sports editor of DM is apparently is in hot water over the article with no officially named sources but had apparently originated from former rugby players of a so called 'brother school' of the two schools at which this gossip is targeted at. The article supplied for this 3rd party was first sent and published at a sinhala paper before being sent to DM. Unreliable sources at both the school by the sea and the imperial school suggest that the schools hv contacted the paper(s) with legal notice.

Will update when I hv more solid info.

Edited by vishkid

Phew .. what a match today! Joes played all out and was on the driving seat 80% of the time what with the Royalists infringing in their own 22 ...

But not to be and Joes remain at the bottom of the table and Royal unbeaten for 17 odd league matches. Good character by both teams.

More interesting matches tomorrow ..

Will update when I hv more solid info.

Well the law has come to a stumbling block as the malicious words are 'not directed at any one' & because 'sources are sacred by nature'. But better journalism might still prevail:

http://www.nation.lk/edition/feature-viewpoint/item/6264-when-students-are-tried-and-convicted-by-innuendo.html

When students are tried and convicted by innuendo…

The last few weeks, for example, saw a slew of ‘opinion’ pieces in several newspapers castigating a school, its authorities and rugby players for alleged misconduct. They were all written in insinuation-language which fools no one but provides both newspaper and author a splendid cover. If someone objects, they can say ‘well, we didn’t directly mention your school, so why are you getting upset?’ They could say ‘if the cap fits….’ and let the silence thereafter silence the objector.

The Lankadeepa (May 10 and 11), Mawbima (May 10 and 11), Ravaya (May 13), Daily Mirror (May 9, 11 and 15) carried authorless comments on the subject. The accused do not have right of reply because the accusation is implied. Deliberately. There are no reliable sources, only reference to ‘parents’ or ‘old boys’. No tangible evidence. No effort evident in verifying the story. The far-fetched character of the accusation has not raised eyebrows. It’s trial and conviction by innuendo and insinuation. Trial and conviction in absentia. Great journalism!

Royal College is not blameless when it comes to the interference of the influential in matters such as getting a child into a team or being lenient on those guilty of indiscipline. Few schools are, in fact. In this case, however, the charge sheet is little better than an ill-worded, malice-ridden scurrilous pamphlet. It is easy to tell the boys, ‘get on with the game, never mind these distractions,’ but lies have a way of acquiring lives of their own as was evident in a recent rugger match where insinuation manifested itself as a couple of prominent banners. The movers and shakers might have got a laugh out of it, but those who helped set this nasty ball rolling should hang their heads in shame. Parents love their children. They can love too much. They can love to the point of willing bad things on those they believe are their children’s competitors. One can only hope that these moves help mould character in the innocent victims. One cannot think of kind things to say about the whisperers and their benefactors in newspapers.

• 2 weeks later...

This week's matches;

SPC v SACK

Pathana v SC

KCK v RC

TCK v SJC

VC v DSS

Don't expect the league table to change much this week but Pathana/SC and TCK/SJC matches would be interesting.

This week's matches;

SPC v SACK

Pathana v SC

KCK v RC

TCK v SJC

VC v DSS

Don't expect the league table to change much this week but Pathana/SC and TCK/SJC matches would be interesting.

I was also hoping pathana v Sc would be interesting but it wasnt, awful refereeing, lots of stone showers, boxing matches in the middle of the field and a seriously low level of fitness on behalf of SC were the most notable things i saw.

Joes/Trinity will be a cracker though, figures crossed

Pathana 50 - Science 17

Vidyartha 32 - DSS 19

Trinity 41 - Joes 00

Kings 24 - Royal 27

SACK 22 - Petes 29

SACK-Petes turned out to be the thriller. Petes proved that last quarter is their strength and Royal proved precisely the opposite.

So I expect Royal to lead the first half next week and a thrilling finish :D

In the current context SPC firmly favorites to the title and TCK will be close behind, judging by the recent form.

Royal/IC share the 3rd odds - a lot will depend on RC-SPC next week.

DS/SACK are the most likely relegates.

Anyone going to Carlton 7's - so see the semi naked chicks .. and then some rugby? :P

Trinity 41 - Joes 00

:sad-smiley-067:

Worst case scenario my cousin is the TCK vice captain this year and i wont hear the end of it when i meet him.

Whaaaahh some one kill me now :sad-smiley-047:

:sad-smiley-067:

Worst case scenario my cousin is the TCK vice captain this year and i wont hear the end of it when i meet him.

Whaaaahh some one kill me now :sad-smiley-047:

The outside center right? Great talented player!

As Usual Peters up for the game and will take the title for sure.

Peters all the way!!

Like the last year? LOL!

I'm sure It'll be Trinity ;)

As Usual Peters up for the game and will take the title for sure.

Peters all the way!! 174573_14088581449_1078582722_n.jpg

:action-smiley-081:

With the new student importing law in action, things are seriously sour for many in future :rolleyes:

MINIACE

MIniace --not heard about this -- is it something similar to club rugby?

Edited by mirage7777

Alright - nothing much exiting this week ... apart from ... what will most probably be the title decider. I'm sure the RCSC will be jam packed by 4.00 pm tomorrow, such is the hype.

Apart from schools, I guess the pick of the club matches would be Kandy SC v Upcountry Lions on Sunday.

My money is on Havies this season, although I'm a member of a different club - Havies seem to hv the X-factor.

Lot's of international rugby tomorrow as well;

All Blacks - Ireland at 13.30 SLT, trying to squeeze this before the RC/SPC.

Aussie - Wales at 15.30

Springboks - England at 20.30

Argentina - Italy around midnight : all on Setanta.

Damn busy weekend with F1 from Montreal as well!! :P

Alright - nothing much exiting this week ... apart from ... what will most probably be the title decider. I'm sure the RCSC will be jam packed by 4.00 pm tomorrow, such is the hype. Apart from schools, I guess the pick of the club matches would be Kandy SC v Upcountry Lions on Sunday. My money is on Havies this season, although I'm a member of a different club - Havies seem to hv the X-factor. Lot's of international rugby tomorrow as well; All Blacks - Ireland at 13.30 SLT, trying to squeeze this before the RC/SPC. Aussie - Wales at 15.30 Springboks - England at 20.30 Argentina - Italy around midnight : all on Setanta. Damn busy weekend with F1 from Montreal as well!! :P

That all you got? The French Open ladies Finals are on Sat too, Maria Sharapova is back at World number 1 and should win this final with any luck. And the HEAT play Game 7 of the NBA Eastern Conference finals on Sunday. And I have so many shoots its not funny.

There is even a SL-Pakistan cricket match in the middle of all that, tho that is looking quite unwatchable at the moment.

That all you got? The French Open ladies Finals are on Sat too, Maria Sharapova is back at World number 1 and should win this final with any luck. And the HEAT play Game 7 of the NBA Eastern Conference finals on Sunday. And I have so many shoots its not funny.

There is even a SL-Pakistan cricket match in the middle of all that, tho that is looking quite unwatchable at the moment.

Ha ha .. so it seems so! Quite a load of sports ..

I tend to be blind to anything other than Rugby, F1 and probably NFL so I missed that! Cheers to those planning to watch them all ..

Pathana won against St Anthony's by a massive 61-12. Led 37-00 (if im not mistaken)at half time.

Pete-Royal battling for the top spot today at 4.30-RC grounds.Heard Royal skipper has not recovered from injuries. Now thats a big blow for them.

MINIACE