• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Burns To Ashes In Colombo

Watchman

Sri Lanka could do with a few more fellows like that......

I used to work for USAID for a short while, and it was a mandatory requirement that all vehicles should have a mini fire extinguisher in the vehicle. I still carry a small canister with fire retardant spray in the car, its available at Motorc*ade, you never know when it might come in use....

Yeah, I'm sure the fire extinguisher would help when it's inside of a crashed car that's on fire.....

Peri, he was not on the way to the aiport, he was on his way home after dropping a friend off. As per a mutual freind who went in the morning to wait the coroner to come and release the body. Alcohol is not considered a factor in the crash. Speed and loss of control. Plus he had pumped a full tank that morning, so the car had around 30-40 litres of gas in it. We all know that for petrol, the smallest spark is enough. So I am thinking, a high speed crash, ruptured tank, sparks due to friction and plenty of volatile fuel all over the place. The angle the car has fallen in to the ditch, if he was dazed, he would have fallen across the center console (his remains were found this way according to a person who was there) and would have been too groggy or injured to get up to escape the fire. Despite his physical strength, if he was dazed after the crash and was lying at an odd angle, it would have been difficult for him to egress the vehicle in the quickest time.

The tooting of the horn would have been due to either his body flailing in the flames and hitting the steering or the heat shorting out the contcts till the fire bjurnt off the wires.

Peri, he was not on the way to the aiport, he was on his way home after dropping a friend off.

Thats what I said ;)

Just couldn't think that a dude coming back from the airport at 6am could have fallen asleep at the wheel, huh?

Tho I seem to have got the time wrong, after re-reading this. But the very early hours anyway.

Now the cops are suspecting foul play. Read the Island. WTF!!!!

Couldn't find this. Island.lk? Link?

Specially considering the chap was a Muslim.

Well Buddhists are also advised to refrain from drinking alcohol (5th precept), but how many Buddhists actually follow this advise is the question!

No offense to Muslims but I know several Muslim friends who enjoy themselves (drink+smoke) at parties more than the rest :)

• Like 1

Ex-national rugby player Thajudeen dies in car crash, police suspect foul play

May 17, 2012, 12:00 pm

521801694c1-1.jpg

by Ravi Nagahawatte

Former Sri Lanka and Havelocks Sports Club rugby player, Wazeem Thajudeen, died under tragic circumstances in the early hours of yesterday, in a car crash in Colombo.

Thajudeen died of burn injuries when his car toppled and caught fire after hitting a concrete structure erected on the middle of the road in Colombo 5, near Shalika Grounds.

c1-3.jpg

However, according to informed sources, Police suspect that the ruggerite’s car had been set ablaze by a group of unknown persons, subsequent to the accident.

Thajudeen, who had his education at S. Thomas’ College, Mount Lavinia, was 27, at the time of his death.

A member of Havelocks SC, Thusitha Peiris, confirming the incident, said that according to the information he had, Thajudeen had died inside the ill-fated car.

"He was a lovable person and stood by the club during good and bad times. His death is a great loss to Sri Lanka rugby," Peiris said.

The police are investigating the incident.

Well Buddhists are also advised to refrain from drinking alcohol (5th precept), but how many Buddhists actually follow this advise is the question!

No offense to Muslims but I know several Muslim friends who enjoy themselves (drink+smoke) at parties more than the rest :)

I smell alcohol and speed. Anyways RIP brother.

Did you two try applying for jobs in the Coroner's department?

You got the amazing skill of identifying the cause of a death based on a photo you see off the net. Don't waste that talent.

• Like 5

Did you two try applying for jobs in the Coroner's department?

You got the amazing skill of identifying the cause of a death based on a photo you see off the net. Don't waste that talent.

If you refer to my post above, I did not mention anything about this accident. What I made was a comment on the statement that Peri brought up. Pls check before you reply. Thanks

Thats what I said ;)

Tho I seem to have got the time wrong, after re-reading this. But the very early hours anyway.

Couldn't find this. Island.lk? Link?

Hey almighty Pericles i just said what i thought, Its hard to set a car ablaze travelling at normal speed anyways i just said what i thought. If you really have a problem get bent! Plus i have many muslim friends who smoke and drink so get your facts straight. May be getting out of the house might help.

Pericles

Hey almighty Pericles i just said what i thought, Its hard to set a car ablaze travelling at normal speed anyways i just said what i thought. If you really have a problem get bent! Plus i have many muslim friends who smoke and drink so get your facts straight. May be getting out of the house might help.

Pericles

Dude, he was talking to me... why are you jumping up and down? :)

We all have Msulim freinds and I am glad you have too. Their drionking habits is not the discussion here.

Pericles

You said what you thought, I said what I thought about what you thought. Namely that you are a stupid A grade a***hole. Even if he had been on a bender, unless he was drinking while driving the car, you think he'd still be drunk after driving all the way to the airport AND coming all the way back to Colombo?

It is retards like you who cause idiotic unsubstantiated rumours to spread. If you can't figure out how to use your brain, keep your damn mouth shut. And if YOU have a problem with that, get bent yourself.

Moron.

Edited by Pericles
  • Like 2

If he drink/drank what ever, his life could be saved if someone near by before flames burst but everything happen with a cause so thats where and when that man's destiny written.. Who knows next second could be me or you. Living life with that on is the path.

A colleague of mine who ran to the funeral confirms it was a Toyota vitz and he had apparently had it modified too...

The story about returning from the airport is true and correct... also the friend whom he dropped off close by confirms that he had missed calls at 3am just after he was dropped... but the guy was asleep and did not notice the calls until morning.

Analyse AL pic and press pics:

a) Damage to left (passenger) hand front side. Left front wheel drooping into gutter on its suspension appears to be in about the correct position. Front metal substructures undamaged. Hood/bonnet undamaged, closed and appears to be in its correct position. Front plastics burnt away.

B) Door skin on drivers door buckled and peeled out and forward. Damage to frame on that door. Rear door on drivers side, closed and in position but buckled out at top-right corner. Vehicle roof pyramided at front centre of windscreen apeture.

c) Evidence of fierce fire, internal plastics/upholstery/trim gone. External plastics/tyres burnt out.

Re (B) - what has happened to cause this damage? Structural damage to metal panel work not typical of a vehicle fire.

Thoughts with the family, at this sad time.

Peri, he was not on the way to the aiport, he was on his way home after dropping a friend off. As per a mutual freind who went in the morning to wait the coroner to come and release the body. Alcohol is not considered a factor in the crash. Speed and loss of control. Plus he had pumped a full tank that morning, so the car had around 30-40 litres of gas in it. We all know that for petrol, the smallest spark is enough. So I am thinking, a high speed crash, ruptured tank, sparks due to friction and plenty of volatile fuel all over the place. The angle the car has fallen in to the ditch, if he was dazed, he would have fallen across the center console (his remains were found this way according to a person who was there) and would have been too groggy or injured to get up to escape the fire. Despite his physical strength, if he was dazed after the crash and was lying at an odd angle, it would have been difficult for him to egress the vehicle in the quickest time.

The tooting of the horn would have been due to either his body flailing in the flames and hitting the steering or the heat shorting out the contcts till the fire bjurnt off the wires.

I would also like to think that the tooting of the horn was due to shorted contacts.....

On a different point, though it is done for movie effects I don't think a tank of petrol explodes if caught on fire, because the tank would not have collapsed completely and there is not enough oxygen inside the tank for it to explode even if a spark got inside it and if there was an explosion it would have burned all the oxygen out putting the flame out. I think it must have been a case of a rapidly spreading fire through the vehicle....

To be honest considering the amount of fuel and the type of fire that would have resulted an extinguisher inside probably would not have been of much use especially if the driver was incapacitated but it would have helped the people trying to rescue him...

I wonder if being tired and sleepy was a factor at that time in the morning.... this nearly happened to me twice now and on both times the rumble strips at the edge of the motorway helped save me and had me cursing myself for letting it happen.....

Analyse AL pic and press pics:

a) Damage to left (passenger) hand front side. Left front wheel drooping into gutter on its suspension appears to be in about the correct position. Front metal substructures undamaged. Hood/bonnet undamaged, closed and appears to be in its correct position. Front plastics burnt away.

B) Door skin on drivers door buckled and peeled out and forward. Damage to frame on that door. Rear door on drivers side, closed and in position but buckled out at top-right corner. Vehicle roof pyramided at front centre of windscreen apeture.

c) Evidence of fierce fire, internal plastics/upholstery/trim gone. External plastics/tyres burnt out.

Re ( B) - what has happened to cause this damage? Structural damage to metal panel work not typical of a vehicle fire.

Thoughts with the family, at this sad time.

Perhaps attempts by bystanders to get inside the vehicle and rescue the driver explains damage to the driver side doors.

• Like 1

During a radio interview the police spokesman Ajith Rohana clearly said they have evidence that 3 of them had consumed 2 and Half bottles of Alcohol at a club before this incident at 12.30am.I can't understand these conspiracy theorists who try to sensationalize every happening.

- Dailymirror.lk

Ignoring the terrible grammar on that, (it says a spark grazed the road, rather than a piece of metal grazed the road causing sparks) you don't need excessive speed to cause sparks. I just started off from a signal light when the side step came off on a Discovery I was driving, and all the sparks that were generated when that dragged on the tarmac made me think the rear wheel had caught fire.

I'm not saying he wasn't driving fast, he probably was to manage a 180 turn, but the reporting is terrible.

• Like 1

Ignoring the terrible grammar on that, (it says a spark grazed the road, rather than a piece of metal grazed the road causing sparks) you don't need excessive speed to cause sparks. I just started off from a signal light when the side step came off on a Discovery I was driving, and all the sparks that were generated when that dragged on the tarmac made me think the rear wheel had caught fire.

I'm not saying he wasn't driving fast, he probably was to manage a 180 turn, but the reporting is terrible.

Wonder of Asia..