• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

engine is good from the reviews i have seen.... 190BHP and 400Nm ... 2.2L turbo.... the same engine which is offered in the evoque... only 5 will be imported this year so it will never be a another 520D..

Any reason why only 5 is imported? Is it as simple as there were/are only 5 buyers?

Heard D*MO did something similar and brought down/ordered 50 diesel W204's for the permit.

Edited by xXx

Any reason why only 5 is imported? Is it as simple as there were/are only 5 buyers?

Heard D*MO did something similar and brought down/ordered 50 diesel W204's for the permit.

they said they want to remain exclusive and not flood the market but i think they are short of capacity... they said they are planning to import only 30 for the whole of next yr

Prestige had told my father they had a quota for the 5 series to be imported under the permit scheme, I guess per year.

I don't know if the sales person was trying to pull a fast one with some cooked up BS or has anyone else has heard about such thing.

I have been thinking about this a lot too. There can't be only 5 ser buyers AND they should be able to offer a better equipped 3 ser for the same or lower. There is no capacity problems.

Have a look at this - http://europe.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121018/ANE/310189930/bmw-shifts-thousands-of-cars-to-u-s-from-battered-europe

My deduction is that the 5 can be offered at this ridiculously low price because of it's country of manufacture -

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/11/it%E2%80%99s-starting-bmw-to-export-made-in-china-5-series/

It tallies well with people who report sitting in them and driving them feeling a bit short-changed.

Of course it's well known that BMs, Audi and Land Rover importers have a way of understating the actual value to make the price competitive. D@mo being a PLC will find it a lot harder to get to that level of tactics. It's very easy if you compare UK prices and calculate backwards to figure this out.

I have been thinking about this a lot too. There can't be only 5 ser buyers AND they should be able to offer a better equipped 3 ser for the same or lower. There is no capacity problems.

Have a look at this - http://europe.autone...battered-europe

My deduction is that the 5 can be offered at this ridiculously low price because of it's country of manufacture -

http://www.thetrutha...china-5-series/

It tallies well with people who report sitting in them and driving them feeling a bit short-changed.

Of course it's well known that BMs, Audi and Land Rover importers have a way of understating the actual value to make the price competitive. D@mo being a PLC will find it a lot harder to get to that level of tactics. It's very easy if you compare UK prices and calculate backwards to figure this out.

I was talking about the JAGUAR Capacity..... too much demand for the factory to handle...

BMW has more than enough thats why they are advertising all the time cause they can supply

Prestige had told my father they had a quota for the 5 series to be imported under the permit scheme, I guess per year.

I don't know if the sales person was trying to pull a fast one with some cooked up BS or has anyone else has heard about such thing.

yeah they normally produce in batches so that all cars produced a day or half a day are pretty much the same.... just before i ordered the XF they said 40 or 50 cars for dec delivery or production i cant remember which

I was talking about the JAGUAR Capacity..... too much demand for the factory to handle...

BMW has more than enough thats why they are advertising all the time cause they can supply

Ah I see. That should not last very long too given the turmoil in the EU - http://www.nitrobahn.com/news/jaguar-land-rover-sales-pitch-down-to-the-lowest-tata-under-pressure/

If this is true it could be a serious issue. I remember in 2007 there was an issue for 407s imported under permits.

Any manufacture will give a good discount if a considerable number can be given say 100,200 or 500.

It is the same case even in UK a fleet discount could be huge may be 20-30%

And also the demand for the particular model since the current 5 series (F10) is in the middle of its life demand will be less whereas the 3 series (F30) was launched recently so there will be more demand from elsewhere.

Personally I will check on the Montero that they are going to offer on Sunday.

If this is true it could be a serious issue. I remember in 2007 there was an issue for 407s imported under permits.

Any manufacture will give a good discount if a considerable number can be given say 100,200 or 500.

It is the same case even in UK a fleet discount could be huge may be 20-30%

And also the demand for the particular model since the current 5 series (F10) is in the middle of its life demand will be less whereas the 3 series (F30) was launched recently so there will be more demand from elsewhere.

Personally I will check on the Montero that they are going to offer on Sunday.

I bought a BM 5 ser and its made in Germany, But I think they are sending some money under hand to BMW germany. BMW 5 in US (which doesnt impose taxes on cars) is $46000. But thats being the 528i. But I compare the price difference of 528i and 535i which is $ 5700 so I think if theres 520D in US it will cost around $ 41000 and then subtract the profit for the car sale (invoice prices and hold back value) it will come around 36-37k.(you can try this at kbb.com and see whats what for 528i) So I think there 1.5 mil agent fee is not completely belong to them. I think BMW them selfs may not make a $12000 profit from one car how can they allow local delar to make such a profit. I think about $ 5-7 goes underhand to Germany.

Why would you pay a company like BMW Ag money under the table????? from Sri Lanka???? A speck on their marketing map??????????

You my friend are a bigger moron than I took you for!

You misunderstand what I said, what I said was car it self might cost the company around $ 35-37k cos theres no way prestige get this car for $30k. But permit rules says maximum is $30k. So Prestige may have worked out a deal with BMW ger that for each car BMW germany can get $30k from LC and rest of the $5-7k they will send underhand. This is the same thing happen in 2007 with 407. So prestige asks us 1.5 mil local fees so that they can pay $ 5-7 and they can also have 700,000 profit.

You misunderstand what I said, what I said was car it self might cost the company around $ 35-37k cos theres no way prestige get this car for $30k. But permit rules says maximum is $30k. So Prestige may have worked out a deal with BMW ger that for each car BMW germany can get $30k from LC and rest of the $5-7k they will send underhand. This is the same thing happen in 2007 with 407. So prestige asks us 1.5 mil local fees so that they can pay $ 5-7 and they can also have 700,000 profit.

You do realize Prestige is not a mason-baas buying cement from the local hardware on your behalf right? :rolleyes:

And you're implying that a billion dollar company selling over a million vehicles a year would risk legal and foreign trade complications to sell a few dozen vehicles on a one time permit-deal that may or may not come every 3-4 years?

You do realize Prestige is not a mason-baas buying cement from the local hardware on your behalf right? :rolleyes:

And you're implying that a billion dollar company selling over a million vehicles a year would risk legal and foreign trade complications to sell a few dozen vehicles on a one time permit-deal that may or may not come every 3-4 years?

Well you do have a point but keep in mind about this also, How can you give a $42000 car for $30000. Usually these companies do have a profit margin or 50-40% compare to the production cost and that doesnt include the money they spend on R&D. So BMW would never loose money for 200 cars. This is same with Audi. X3 is reasonable for $30k but 5 series is car that is too expensive to give for $30k.

• Like 1

Have a look at this - http://europe.autone...battered-europe

http://www.thetrutha...china-5-series/

The F10 5 series is only made in Germany apart from the long wheel base version which was made specifically for the Chinese market. All the F10s coming to SL will be from Germany.

Well you do have a point but keep in mind about this also, How can you give a $42000 car for $30000. Usually these companies do have a profit margin or 50-40% compare to the production cost and that doesnt include the money they spend on R&D. So BMW would never loose money for 200 cars. This is same with Audi. X3 is reasonable for $30k but 5 series is car that is too expensive to give for $30k.

You need to stop pulling figures out of your arse. Since when do car manufacturers make a 50% profit? Sure some that make higher end vehicles can but companies that mass produce vehicles (BMW included), make a lot less. They make only a couple of thousand dollars for each car they sell. You can't accurately state a figure as few, if any, manufacturers disclose their production costs. Also what a car costs to build, R&D costs and other overheads such as health care, retirement, etc. Saying they make a 50% profit without R&D is just ridiculous. The profit per car can be calculated ONLY after every single cost has been added.

It's retards like you that make me weep for the future of our country. Maybe you should have paid more attention in school, rather than going to the bathroom and jacking off while picturing the fat lunch lady naked.

• Like 1

It's retards like you that make me weep for the future of our country. Maybe you should have paid more attention in school, rather than going to the bathroom and jacking off while picturing the fat lunch lady naked.

damn.NO words on earth to explain it more than this :) ....!

Side note ..

Feel so sorry about the BMW 5 series,

people with "mudalali" attitudes are really gonna ruin the exclusivity OF car,it seems that 5 series is almost the replacement option of allion / prado/ montero among these morons.

damn.NO words on earth to explain it more than this :) ....!

Side note ..

Feel so sorry about the BMW 5 series,

people with "mudalali" attitudes are really gonna ruin the exclusivity OF car,it seems that 5 series is almost the replacement option of allion / prado/ montero among these morons.

no machan, dont think so,, 5series still carries a class unlike prados, monteros or allions.. just because its available for the permit doesnt mean it has fallen to mudalali catagory.. if i can remember last year it was raining Benz C n E classes.. n dont forget tat Benz stil carries tat mudalali pride...

Like I said.... a moron of industrial proportions!

Actually he might not be VVTi. I know it happens with many local agents. I can't mention names for obvious reasons. Will tell you when we meet.They can't sell cars in this number if they did not do that. As someone who imported cars in the proper way I can assure you this. You'll be amazed that the things that take place and how they take place through offshore companies, sub-agents in Singapore etc. It's also who you know and how much you pay.

• Like 1

Every little thing helps to become a billion dollar company. And if they have zero risk doing it then what have they to bother about. They could easily operate through a 3rd party in another country where regulations are loose. Look at how easily we (SL) are now exporting Tea to Iran even after the sanctions and getting paid in US$s!

If you do the math you will see that it won't add up any other way. One thing BMW or any manufacturer will not do is make a loss on every car sold. I can assure you money goes under the table when it comes to many agents in SL.

• Like 1

The F10 5 series is only made in Germany apart from the long wheel base version which was made specifically for the Chinese market. All the F10s coming to SL will be from Germany.

Can you prove it?

Check this out - http://www.chinacartimes.com/2011/11/24/bmw-export-5series-china/

They're talking about export and the LWB is only for domestic consumption I believe.

BMW to export 5-Series from China

Industry News | Ash | November 24, 2011 at 11:33 pm

BMW-5-LI.jpgBMW currently makes three cars in China, the 3-Series, 5-series and of course the recently introduced X1 SUV which was shown off at this weeks Guangzhou Auto Show. During an interview with the Chinese newspaper, International Business Daily at the Guangzhou Auto Show, BMW’s president and Group CEO of BMW Group China revealed that BMW would aim to export its Chinese made 5-series sedan overseas in the coming months.

BMW’s 5-series has proven to be a succesfull model in the Chinese market, the latest model was introduced in August 2010 and has quickly become one of the more popular mid size luxury sedans on the market in China, the 5-series sedan is currently produced by Brilliance-BMW a joint venture company based in Shenyang, China. The 5-Series GT is imported into China and sold at higher premium than the locally produced 5-series.

BMW have not yet announced where the 5-series will be exported to, but likely markets would be neighbouring South Eastern nations where demand for BMW’s is growing. BMW China sales surpassed 100,000 units for the locally made 3 and 5 series, yearly sales figures are expected to be some 15-20% higher than 2010′s figures which reached 169,000 for all BMW vehicles sold in China.

At the Guangzhou Auto Show BMW introduce three new vehicles including the new M5 which will sell for a cool 1.85 million RMB, 5-series touring priced at 666,000rmb and the locally made X1 which features a 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo engine, however prices for the X1 have not yet been announced but prices around 300,000rmb for the base model are being guessed at by Chinese press.

Porsche makes the highest margin in the industry (Ferarri must be higher but no one knows exactly how much) which 16.6%. VW is 8-9%. BMW should be inbetween the two. A car like a 5 series would require at least US$ 3bn for development. If we take a production run of 500k cars for 4 years that would add another $6,000/- to the cost. Transport would be between $1000/- to 2000/- per car. Dealer margins are between 12-16%. Perhaps you can work back and see if it adds up.

The 528i is listed at $47,500/- in the US according to Motor Trend. Yes there is no way they can offer a 520d at 30k unless a.) It's from China and b.) It's undervalued. c.) Loss Leading to make money on spare parts (this is quite unlikely I believe given our small volumes).

I have already heard of some controvesy about cruise-control not being listed on the specification and yet arriving on the car, causing an issue with customs.

Porsche makes the highest margin in the industry (Ferarri must be higher but no one knows exactly how much) which 16.6%. VW is 8-9%. BMW should be inbetween the two. A car like a 5 series would require at least US$ 3bn for development. If we take a production run of 500k cars for 4 years that would add another $6,000/- to the cost. Transport would be between $1000/- to 2000/- per car. Dealer margins are between 12-16%. Perhaps you can work back and see if it adds up.

The 528i is listed at $47,500/- in the US according to Motor Trend. Yes there is no way they can offer a 520d at 30k unless a.) It's from China and b.) It's undervalued. c.) Loss Leading to make money on spare parts (this is quite unlikely I believe given our small volumes).

I have already heard of some controvesy about cruise-control not being listed on the specification and yet arriving on the car, causing an issue with customs.

Well dude its not an rumor it happend, my car got stuck in customs for more than week due to cruise control and the presence of a Nav button in the idrive controller. But the car make is Germany so its undervalue I think.

• Like 1

You need to stop pulling figures out of your arse. Since when do car manufacturers make a 50% profit? Sure some that make higher end vehicles can but companies that mass produce vehicles (BMW included), make a lot less. They make only a couple of thousand dollars for each car they sell. You can't accurately state a figure as few, if any, manufacturers disclose their production costs. Also what a car costs to build, R&D costs and other overheads such as health care, retirement, etc. Saying they make a 50% profit without R&D is just ridiculous. The profit per car can be calculated ONLY after every single cost has been added.

Well lets see I said is if compare to the production cost of the vehicle BMW should have profit 50%. (of course that doesnt include R&D, Salary, insurance). To pay all that you need to have a 50% mark up compare to the production cost. All companies does this. Let me pull out some numbers from wikipedia about BMW, Operating income (2011)-8.006 billion profit (2011)-4.881 billion I dont know about you when I do the math it came about 60%. And from that when you pay salaries and stuff and then R&D in the long run of couse you cant have more than 50%. (I said about the profit excluding all that). Now if you have learned english you would have understand my previous comment.

"retardalese" is that a new word in your dictionary? cos I cant seem to find that word in any place? When you write a post try to calm down show some decency to others rather than showing off your indecency.

I have a serious question for you. Do you call your grandfather 'thatha'? I'm curious as to what an inbred retard would call his father/grandfather.