• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Windscreen Cracking

kumaras

Lot of learnings about the topic,in short time.It is wonderful and appreciate all your valuable inputs.I will visit one place mentioned in the post in the weekend.

This might be a silly question to ask, but I want to know whether cracks are visible after repairing ? I mean can it be noticed at a glance ????

Tks

No, the cracks cannot be noticed at a glance after the repair. Watch

and you'll get a clear picture. The crack repair kit I used is similar to what's shown in the video.

Hope this clears your doubts. :)

I dont know the exact reason behind it but it sort of becomes oily, maybe it has something to do with that tint you get on the top bit of those windshields

Now this I have encountered once in a friend's van when the windscreen was replaced. Ironically it was a Toyota original :)

Whatever you buy you need to buy from a trustworthy place. My personal experience is only Samarasinghe did a reasonable job in fixing windscreens in the cars we've owned and I'll recommend them. The key is to attach the windscreen only with the original putty and then not further spray it with silicone or any other sealant to make the seal water tight. This will obstruct the water channels around the windscreen, cause water retention and ultimately cause corrosion. Have experienced this twice already :(

A friend of mine replaced the front windscreen of his Mini and it was fine during the first couple of years. But later it started going white at the edges. This is due to delamination and there is no other solution but to replace the windscreen because it consumes the entire windscreen with time.

So as The Don has explained above, even the replicas have the lamination, but I guess it's just not built upto the standards of the genuine thing. This should be just one of the issues.

An example of delamination... Sure you've seen this. :)

th_WindscreenDelamination.jpg

Replacements come in different qualities. But sadly I would not have been surprised even if this happened in a Mini original :)

Cracks don't just disappear. What happens is that a glue is applied so it won't spread. If you don't like seeing the crack, the only thing you can do is to replace the windshield.

Exactly what jdnet said is corret. These type of repairs are only recommended if the windscreens are not available.

Exactly what jdnet said is corret. These type of repairs are only recommended if the windscreens are not available.

err no. That's not what I'm saying. These types of repairs work fine and it would be my first option.

What I'm saying is that the crack would be noticeable. Specially if you have a larger crack.

There is also a maximum length that can be repaired safely. I think it's something like the size of a bank note. I've had a few cracked repaired professionally and have not had any issues. This was in the U.S. and the cars were subjected to temperatures of -30F to +100F for several years. The funny part was after I totaled one of the cars and smashed up the windshield, the repaired crack held up just fine.

• 1 year later...

Contact sylvi. He'll be able to help fix it. But be warned it might cost a arm and a leg and might be cheaper to just replace the glass.

But you should also look at WHY it's cracking. If your vehicle suffered some major structural impact, you might want to get that looked at first. Else, your next glass will crack too.. I

hii guys...

does anyone knows a place to buy a windscreen repair kit.. (DIY)?

i have seen some on the ebay. but dont know whethe they are available in SL.

DO NOT TRY A DIY repair on a cracked windscreen if u dont know what u r doing. This is something that needs expert attention.

• Like 1

DO NOT TRY A DIY repair on a cracked windscreen if u dont know what u r doing. This is something that needs expert attention.

The kits are actually pretty easy to use. I used the Abro kit on my car on a stone chip. Seems to be holding up fine. Long cracks on the other hand might be a different story.

Members,

W/S glass cracks can be repaired to 90% clear 10% will be visible. If attended as soon as possible.

The crack has to be closed with a small transparent gum tape to avoid dust getting in.

It is like a small deep wound happens on your body, after healing the scar will remain as long as you live.

DIY kits are available on the EBay. Can be imported same for few Dollars.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/windshield-repair-kit Will give all details how to do same.

Try any of above kits with little technical, ability.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members.

Most you tube clips show cracks repair they are done in laborites with Ideal conditions.

Long cracks as Moderator Don had said can be repaired they will be seen to 50%.

Do not attempt to do any driving area long or small cracks that will be a hazard for driving.

About oily stuff on the glass during wet weather mostly due to smoke deposits.

This can be taken off DIY, by using any good very fine Compound with water.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members.

Most you tube clips show cracks repair they are done in laborites with Ideal conditions.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Not true. I'm with 'The Don' on this one. I've repaired a couple of stone chips / small cracks on the windscreen (smaller than the diameter of a two rupee coin) and they came out fine; and I'm certainly no expert.

Its pretty straight forward: Get a kit, and watch a couple of youtube videos and you're good to go. If it doesn't work, grab a razor blade, scrape it off, and start again (or quit and go to a repair place at that point).

As for gum tape: None of the kits I used required it. They just came with the resin and the paraphernalia to get the resin into the crack and create a vacuum etc. One of the kits did include a transparent film that you place on top of the crack till it cured, but that was then removed at the end of the process.

Edited by Kavvz

Not true. I'm with 'The Don' on this one. I've repaired a couple of stone chips / small cracks on the windscreen (smaller in diameter than a two rupee coin) and they came out fine; and I'm certainly no expert.

It is a DIY repair if it is stone chip or a crack in the middle of the screen. But if it is long crack starting from the edge of the screen you need to first stop it by drilling a small hole right at the end point of the crack to prevent it from progressing further (there are different schools of thoughts for and against this procedure but at least in theory this is the only way to stop it). This method certainly is not a DIY for many as Crosswind said.

• Like 1

It is a DIY repair if it is stone chip or a crack in the middle of the screen. But if it is long crack starting from the edge of the screen you need to first stop it by drilling a small hole right at the end point of the crack to prevent it from progressing further (there are different schools of thoughts for and against this procedure but at least in theory this is the only way to stop it). This method certainly is not a DIY for many as Crosswind said.

Fair enough. I had that technique done on a previous car by a professional and yes, it did look like something that the typical vehicle owner wouldn't be able to pull off successfully. (I ended up selling that car after about a year of occasional weekend abuse on pitted back-roads / gravel roads and the windscreen held up just fine throughout.)

I think the best way to proceed would be to watch a couple of DIY youtube videos to get a sense of whether the windscreen can be fixed at home via the typical DIY kit, or whether the job needs a professional's assistance.

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

Members,

I am not trying to dispute any member’s post. I only posted my past experience.

Using transparent gum tape will not allow the water and other dirt to get in to the crack. If water gets in, next day can find.

A white patch on the PVB layer depends on the impact and the crack.

Most old car W/S glasses can find white smoke like patch on the bottoms. They are water had got in to them.

This is taken from the web about safety glass only important portion I post under.

PVB had already been used for laminated glass in the construction and automobile industries. It possesses good adhesion qualities and the desired durability. Unfortunately, the material has one unattractive characteristic: if PVB absorbs moisture, the foils cloud up. Clouding means reduced translucence, and that means a significant drop in module power. »This effect was even noticeable on the laminated glass windows of old German train cars,« reports Helge Schmidhuber from Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems (ISE) in Freiburg, Germany: »Over time, upon contact with moisture, the PVB foils became a cloudy white.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

Using transparent gum tape will not allow the water and other dirt to get in to the crack. If water gets in, next day can find.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

According to my understanding and experience, the resin fills up the crack so that water does not get in to begin with. So using a transparent tape is not necessary because the resin seals up the crack.

Also, pasting stuff (in this case, transparent tape) on the outer side of the windscreen can cause the wiper blades to get damaged easity as they run over the tape. And as the blade gets damaged, it will cause the windscreen also to look like this overtime:

article-page-main_ehow_images_a05_s7_ob_

According to my understanding and experience, the resin fills up the crack so that water does not get in to begin with. So using a transparent tape is not necessary because the resin seals up the crack.

Also, pasting stuff (in this case, transparent tape) on the outer side of the windscreen can cause the wiper blades to get damaged easity as they run over the tape. And as the blade gets damaged, it will cause the windscreen also to look like this overtime:

article-page-main_ehow_images_a05_s7_ob_

Davy,

Until you fill up with UV Resin have to cover the crack. USA motorists repair as soon as the crack happens.

Whenever crack is done most W/S repairers gives free small transparent patch to cover any further damages.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

This is probably the one topic I won't dispute Sylvi's expertise on simply because it's his JOB to know these things and he has many many years of experience in it. But when he starts proving points by quoting the internet i start to trust in him a little less.

WATCHMEN,

Whole-heartedly say I do not trust him at all.

THERE NO REASON FOR YOU to SAY (I start to TRUST HIM LESS.)

I write again. Whole-heartedly say I do not trust him at all.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

WATCHMEN,

Whole-heartedly say I do not trust him at all.

THERE NO REASON FOR YOU to SAY (I start to TRUST HIM LESS.)

I write again. Whole-heartedly say I do not trust him at all.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I dont know why you had to go into multiple colours and sizes for your text; but anyway...

My point is you are a professional who knows everything there is to know about windshield repairs maintenance. Hence when you give an explanation we expect it to be one of more substance and based on your personal experience and knowledge. Not something you found on the internet. You don't have to go all green and blue on me. If you said "In Sri Lanka the preferred solution for cracks is to use X chemical because it suits the climate better due to Y property", I honestly would have believed you because you are an expert int he field.

For example, when you goto a doctor and say "Doctor, I have a problem inhaling in the morning damp air. Can you help me?", the doctor doesn't say "wait, let me google that for you".. He uses his knowledge and expertise to diagnose and treat you.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Does anyone know if insurance can be claimed for windscreen stress cracks. I have insurance cover from Uni*n Assu**ance but it does not specifically mention about the windscreen cover.

I discovered yesterday the windscreen in my korando has a long horizontal crack near to the bottom perimeter which runs all the way from one end to the other end. I don't think it can be repaired and I can't claim warranty either since glass is not covered by warranty.

I need your guys opinion before I proceed to the next step.

Cheers!

Whether you can claim insurance or not depends on your policy. If your policy excludes the windscreen specificially as some policies do then you obviously car. But if your policy does not mention anything specific about the windscreen, or it specifically includes windscreen cover then you probably can.

I also have a question I'd like an answer to. I have an older car with small scratches in the windscreen which does not affect daytime visibility, but it a mess at night. I don't think the glass is laminated.

Is there a system where these scratches can be polished out, and if so who offers this service?

I also have a question I'd like an answer to. I have an older car with small scratches in the windscreen which does not affect daytime visibility, but it a mess at night. I don't think the glass is laminated.

Is there a system where these scratches can be polished out, and if so who offers this service?

If the scratches are small, headlight polishing person can help you me thinks.