• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can You Register A Vehicle Imported On A Carnet

rupasinghe

I think those vehicles were imported under rules which allowed vehicles of certain categories up to 5 years old to be imported. In fact one of those Monteros actually has 07 UK plates on (though they quote the manufacturing year as 2004) which means it was an early 2007 car.

no........... i asked the owners how did they get down them and they told me it s using the carnet. ( i dont what will they tell now, if you phone them)

then i phone the customs regarding that and the answer they gave me, i ve posted already

the black colour one was actually a 2004 one registered 1-2 months before........... if you go through the Hitad you will find some more

apart from lorries and buses non of the vehicles were allowed import if they are beyond 5 years

i ve contacted the import and export control dept..... they told blue permit is withhold but foreign workers are allowed to bring only cars which are less than 5 years old

Edited by priyanka

i ve contacted the import and export control dept..... they told blue permit is withhold but foreign workers are allowed to bring only cars which are less than 5 years old

I don't know why they said ONLY 5 years because a family member of mine is in the process of getting the paperwork done to bring down a car used during employment abroad. It is a late 2006 vehicle. Basically the stipulation is:

If owned for 1-2 year then the car has to be 5 years or less (obviously lower bound age will have to be 3-4 years ) in age

If owned for 3 or more years the car has to be 10 years or less (obviously more than 5 for the lower bound)

I believe the two are classified as Earned Exchange Scheme A and B. At the time of clearing the Sri Lankan owner/importer has to be present and after registration the vehicle cannot be transferred for 3 years ? <or something like that and you are not entitled to another permit for 5 or something>...but then now a days in Sri Lanka non-transferability,you have to sign off the life of your first born, sign a contract in blood, etc...does not seem to stop anyone from anything.

Edited by iRage