• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Kit Cars

KaluZ

The trouble is if they made it legal, every makabass in every junction will start making half-cooked deathtraps. Better of as it is, I guess.

1+

this is the reason i feel but maybe they should have some form of quality checking and then letting people license a vehicle as it is the case in some other countries.

The uk i believe has an MOT test

1+

this is the reason i feel but maybe they should have some form of quality checking and then letting people license a vehicle as it is the case in some other countries.

The uk i believe has an MOT test

The UK has the type approval system where the vehicle would go through a IVA/SVA assessment to check if it conforms to all the rules and regulations.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval

This is a faily good system and Sri Lanka should really have a system like this but I doubt the authorities will have any interest in developing a system.

The MOT is carried out to ensure the vehicles are roadworthy. All vehicles older than three years have to go through an annual MOT.

There is a similar system (not for kit cars per se) in SL. For example, if you want to fix a cage on a D*MO Batta, you need to get it approved by the RMV. There are specified maximum height and weight limitations depending on the vehicle, obviously for safety reasons. However, a little bit of palm grease is all that is needed to get taller and/or wider cages approved. If at all a quality checking system is implemented, first thing our buggers will do, is to find workarounds to it. So at the end of the day, its always bad news for the true kit car enthusiast.

Yeah in NZ its WOF and in Aus its Roadworthy. If they had such a system in place here then people can build their own car and have it on the road. But the down side of it would be that it would be a paradise for bribes and all dodgy things. This is the main reason nothing is possible in this country. In other countries you can transfer the ownership of a car at the post shop. Stuff like this is possible as there is no dodgy stuff happening. Wish srilanka would come up with a system to check with car safety and allow it to be registered and be driven on the road. Would also mean a great income for the government.

If the kit car is built on an existing chassis from a donor car, the test it's required to pass to become road legal is at a lower threshold than a car custom built from ground up in the UK.

I think Crosswind is right to hi light the dangers of allowing such a system to be put into place in SL with all the corruption around. But the fact is we already have enough death traps moving around either due to unsafe repairs to body work, old age, and lack of of an annual inspection systems for older vehicles which goes beyond emissions. I personally think these "contraptions" are unlikely to make the situation any worse, and it's up to the consumers to decide anyway.

on this topic, what is the law regarding "Stretching" the WB of an old donor car? ive heard conflicting info on this. when i called the RMV to ask this once, the guy on the phone said its possible, but need to bring in the vehicle to go through the weighing Proc 1st.