• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ever Heard Bio-Diesel?

soulja

ive got a link that may interest you. [http://www.gizmag.co...gasoline/12484/] its not exactly in ur line of experimenting strictly speaking, but u may be interested in it as it drastically improves efficiency of an existing diesel(at least for older eng's). Kudos for sticking it out in less than friendly/supportive environs.

I think our private bus owners are already half way there, because they are already adding about 5 ltrs of petrol when they fill up their tanks with diesel!

I think our private bus owners are already half way there, because they are already adding about 5 ltrs of petrol when they fill up their tanks with diesel!

Density of Petrol is about 15% less than that of Diesel. Therefore it will not mix and petrol will float on top of diesel. No significant advantage.can be gained.

Density of Petrol is about 15% less than that of Diesel. Therefore it will not mix and petrol will float on top of diesel. No significant advantage.can be gained.

it's pathetic that idiots like you explaining things without simple scientific knowledge.

The mixing of two liquids is determined by the polaR property of each liquid.

If i remember correct, both diesel and petrol are non polar molecules.so they mix without any issue.if you're not so sure , do it and see.or if you need more information , read the science book of grade 10-11.

Density applies when liquids with different polar properties are mixed together.

• Like 1

my god! Do you live under a rock? How stupic can you be!!

jeez....The bus to dumbass-ville seems to have broken down near a netcafe giving everyone access to the internet..

I'm no chemistry grad, but I remember my fuel pump guy telling me that buses put in a bit of petrol to get a "boosting" effect. And thats why the leyland buses have a noticable high pitched exhaust note. Thats because of the petrol. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm no chemistry grad, but I remember my fuel pump guy telling me that buses put in a bit of petrol to get a "boosting" effect. And thats why the leyland buses have a noticable high pitched exhaust note. Thats because of the petrol. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

so your fuel pump guy may be a chemistry grad.

Experiment -Observation -and conclution all given by him.smart

fellow he's .

I don't know about this private bus thing.but i do know atleast there was one scientist in that horrible indian factory which designed the bus.if it's needed, if it's healthy , he would have been recommended it in small sticker somewhere. Or in manual.

Let ME it's in this way,

when you are high with alcohol, you might feel hit anybody with added energy,it might work for some time until a very final day.

Who knows...

Edited by chan5

Members,

Most long distance buses on our roads drivers add Gasoline 5 liters for full tank of Diesel, this practice was there for long time. I spoke to one Bus owner he informed me that he has not faced any problems for the engine.

It is some thing like adding Acetone or Xylene to Gasoline engines.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'rayman',

You post is correct mixing petrol to Diesel.

When a Diesel engine is difficult to start some mechanics mix 50% Petrol with Diesel and pour about 30 ML To the air intake operate the starter motor then engine fires at once with a very heavy knock.

Once I drove a Diesel truck from North to Colombo long years ago when the Diesel fuel pump failed using small gravity feed to the intake Kerosine.

I know one Diesel engine lorry ran for many years with kerosine. Every15 days the owner pump Diesel just to lubricate the Injector pump. later he had to replace the complete injector pump with a new one as it was beyond repair.

I post above just to share my knowledge, not Members to do what I have mentioned on the post.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Well you dont really need to be a chemist to understand how stupid adding petrol to a diesel is.

Simple explanation; diesel engines dont have spark plugs and they use compression to ignite fuel. Petrol's autoignition point is much lower than that of diesel so what they are aiming for is that petrol ignites before the compression stroke is completes and the heat from that will make the diesel ignite more quickly. But the problem is when the petrol ignites the energy from the petrol ignition pushes the pistons downwards before the compression stroke is complete but momentum from the stroke keeps the pistons moving upwards and completes the compression stroke, this force that acts against the pistons movement can cause some serious damage in the long run.

If we lived in a very cold country it would have made some sense cause starting a diesel might be a bit of a pain in extreme cold but with this climate its a pretty stupid thing to do on a routine basis.

You'r wrong dude, They do mix and dissolve in each other very well

You'r wrong dude, They do mix and dissolve in each other very well

it's pathetic that idiots like you explaining things without simple scientific knowledge.

The mixing of two liquids is determined by the polaR property of each liquid.

If i remember correct, both diesel and petrol are non polar molecules.so they mix without any issue.if you're not so sure , do it and see.or if you need more information , read the science book of grade 10-11.

Density applies when liquids with different polar properties are mixed together.

My conclusion is incorrect on the issue, Thank you people for pointing out

• Like 1

guyz i was just going through some facts about Rudolf Diesel and came across he invented the diesel engine to work on peanut oil. hence, i started googling some more further research on this. There was a Volvo which ran on vegetable oil documented on Top Gear. So any idea guyz??

There was a guy in NZ who was running his Pajero on the discarded oil he obtained from Fish and Chip shops. He did some simple purification like straining out the fry particles and was running the vehicle without any problems.

'rayman',

You post is correct mixing petrol to Diesel.

When a Diesel engine is difficult to start some mechanics mix 50% Petrol with Diesel and pour about 30 ML To the air intake operate the starter motor then engine fires at once with a very heavy knock.

Once I drove a Diesel truck from North to Colombo long years ago when the Diesel fuel pump failed using small gravity feed to the intake Kerosine.

I know one Diesel engine lorry ran for many years with kerosine. Every15 days the owner pump Diesel just to lubricate the Injector pump. later he had to replace the complete injector pump with a new one as it was beyond repair.

I post above just to share my knowledge, not Members to do what I have mentioned on the post.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I just remembered people do this to heavily undercompressed diesel engines to start them. I knew this guy who carried around a bottle of petrol with him to start his Townace in this way, untill he could get it overhauled.

Back to the topic. I've seen W123 Diesels running on bio-diesel on tv. But its just largely unpractical. I don't want to spend my day straining mucky oil with bits of 5 day old chicken to save a few rupees!

• Like 1

People please making bio diesel isnt really a big deal at all, i dont see what the big "whoop" is all about. All you need is a little bit of knowledge on chemistry and about 5000/= buck for the other stuff.

I've posted this before but for the benefit of those who seem to have been awestruck by this concept ill post it again.

Here is the starting product, waste vegetable oil (filtered to a certain extent)

362_30945257901_8368_n.jpg

Step 2 : Add some NaOH and Methanol (CH4O), heat it up and use a centrifuge.

362_30945262901_8737_n.jpg

Step 3: let the residue from the oil settle

362_30945252901_8008_n.jpg

Step 4: separate the diesel from the residue and viola you have Bio diesel.

362_30945247901_7648_n.jpg

Step 5: Use it on what ever you want, we powered up an old diesel generator cause we were worried that the impurification may cause harm to vehicle engine and clog up the injectors or something.

362_30945267901_9104_n.jpg

• Like 1

People please making bio diesel isnt really a big deal at all, i dont see what the big "whoop" is all about. All you need is a little bit of knowledge on chemistry and about 5000/= buck for the other stuff.

I've posted this before but for the benefit of those who seem to have been awestruck by this concept ill post it again.

Here is the starting product, waste vegetable oil (filtered to a certain extent)

362_30945257901_8368_n.jpg

Step 2 : Add some NaOH and Methanol (CH4O), heat it up and use a centrifuge.

362_30945262901_8737_n.jpg

Step 3: let the residue from the oil settle

362_30945252901_8008_n.jpg

Step 4: separate the diesel from the residue and viola you have Bio diesel.

362_30945247901_7648_n.jpg

Step 5: Use it on what ever you want, we powered up an old diesel generator cause we were worried that the impurification may cause harm to vehicle engine and clog up the injectors or something.

362_30945267901_9104_n.jpg

as far as informative replies go, urs is top-notch!