• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Method To Hill Start

akboselk

No need to use the handbrake unless you are on a really steep hill. if you are new to manuals its hard to get the car moving especially if there's an angry mob behind u honking like crazy at the lights. Just take your time and do this.

keep your foot on the brakes.and start releasing the clutch gently. at one point you will feel the rpms dropping slightly. now you got "clutch balance". so while keeping the left foot on the clutch take your right foot off the break while gently feeding in the power. and off you go

bit out of context in one of the reviews i watched about the KIA Sorento, they mentioned that it has an feature that stops it rolling back for few seconds. quite cool

Yep it holds the vehicle for like 5secs and you have enough time to reach the accelerator. Brake will be released when you apply enough power to roll on.

@sampath Yeah some cars have this too. I'm pretty sure the 3rd gen Prius has it, as the one I sometimes drive suddenly died on an incline in EV mode, and during the transition, I took off my foot from the brakes and it didn't roll back.

I'm puzzeled. Should'nt the EV mode deactivate automatically and engine cuts in once the battery level drops below 40%?

"..do you try to stay stationary with a clutch balance .. "

No, vehicle is moving upto the hill slowly everytime, but the clutch not fully engaged for few seconds. RPM less than 3500 most of the occasion. (because when I fully release the clutch soon, when the vehicle begin to move, then the engin stall)

On a level road, first find out exactly where the clutch bites. When you have an idea where it is, then try it on a hill. Use the handbrake if you want, it helps. Let the clutch out slowly and when you feel the car moving slightly, add more throttle and let the clutch out completely. Don't ride the clutch.

What do you drive anyway?

On a level road, first find out exactly where the clutch bites. When you have an idea where it is, then try it on a hill. Use the handbrake if you want, it helps. Let the clutch out slowly and when you feel the car moving slightly, add more throttle and let the clutch out completely. Don't ride the clutch.

What do you drive anyway?

thanks for the advice. level ground no issue and now it looks like on a hill i am getting familiar it little by little (however still roll back here and there)

car is Swift 2011

"..Don't ride the clutch. ... " >> can you tell me exactly what is this please ? is this equel to Clutch halfway ?

There's a piece of wood hanged and dragging behind the wheels of a bullockcart. It's called "pallam polla" don't know of any english term for translation. That thing does the work of what the brick suppose to do in your post. If the cart is to move backwards, the wooden piece gets stuck and prevents the move.

It is also called "Balla"or Dog, as it drags behind always, faithfully and no questions asked 'like a dog". This simple piece of technology helps the cart in steep hills, so the Bullock can take time to relax and rev up to get to needed Bullock Power (not horse power)...... :)

By the way I have heard that in Langama (C.T.B) driver training, they ask the drivers to park the Bus in a very steep climb, and the instructor place a matchbox behind the rear wheel adjacent to the wheel. And the driver is asked to pull forward without crushing the match box, means virtually he should have perfect clutch balance.........