• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Outer Circular Highway ( O C H )

miniace

Did not know about it, thanks and damn interesting.

It's actually very interesting. The story goes that they found the ship while Mike Wilson was shooting a film at the Basses. What really happened was they knew the treasure was there and used the film as guise to find the treasure and reclaim it. If they were to just go treasure hunting someone would have found out. There was a little controversy at the time too when the Government found out about the treasure. Either way, Sri Lanka is not in possession of a single coin AFAIK. Amazingly, he decided to be a nice guy and donate some to smithsonian in the U.S.

Edited by jdnet

The fact is Clarke would be nothing if it weren't for this country.

Science fiction writers are a dime-a-dozen.

Not true.

Clarke honed his writing skills and achieved fame as a science fiction writer during the 20 year period he wrote and published in England. He was already a respected, widely read, and world famous writer well before he moved to SL in the 50's.

And calling Clarke a 'dime a dozen science fiction writer' is like calling Sebastian Vettel a dime a dozen racing driver.

It's actually very interesting. The story goes that they found the ship while Mike Wilson was shooting a film at the Basses. What really happened was they knew the treasure was there and used the film as guise to find the treasure and reclaim it. If they were to just go treasure hunting someone would have found out. There was a little controversy at the time too when the Government found out about the treasure. Either way, Sri Lanka is not in possession of a single coin AFAIK. Amazingly, he decided to be a nice guy and donate some to smithsonian in the U.S.

that's very dissappointing.

looks like even in the documentary "sri lanka" gets mentioned very little, if at all :(

Lost a thadi slab of respect for Mr. Clarke after this :(

• Like 1

Not true.

Clarke honed his writing skills and achieved fame as a science fiction writer during the 20 year period he wrote and published in England. He was already a respected, widely read, and world famous writer well before he moved to SL in the 50's.

How rich do you think science fiction writers were in the 50s? do us a favor and stick to your tesla thread ok.

that's very dissappointing.

looks like even in the documentary "sri lanka" gets mentioned very little, if at all :(

Lost a thadi slab of respect for Mr. Clarke after this :(

You know, about a decade back I did research into him and interviewed the guy and all I can say is that the song remains the same. This is just another brit who managed to rape the country.

You know, about a decade back I did research into him and interviewed the guy and all I can say is that the song remains the same. This is just another brit who managed to rape the country.

And many SL 'Boys' too.

The whole episode is shocking..Surely the other chapter of his life story. Was one of my heros and sadly not anymore .

MINIACE

And many SL 'Boys' too.

The whole episode is shocking..Surely the other chapter of his life story. Was one of my heros and sadly not anymore .

MINIACE

Honestly, there are so many great Sri Lankans we can idolize who actually cared about this country and have truly helped it.. Lakshman Kadirgamar, Ray Wijewardene, Upali Wijewardene and even Dr. Kulasinghe. Yet most Sri Lankans would rather idolize this white guy who actually stole from them. Quite typical.

I'm not going to even get into the "SL Boys" thing. We all know why old Suddha's like spending their vacations at Hikkaduwa.

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 1

I'm not going to even get into the "SL Boys" thing. We all know why old Suddha's like spending their vacations at Hikkaduwa.

What? Are you serious on this? Damn....

Damn!! truely shocking!! never knew this side of the story untill today....thanks for sharing it!

He was always accompanied by a male.. n used to come to Otters to play TT. He's was damn good with the TT Ball.. :mosking:

He was always accompanied by a male.. n used to come to Otters to play TT. He's was damn good with the TT Ball.. :mosking:

You mean hector? Everyone knows about that.....

There were some wild rumours spread at otters back in the day. Lol. People started avoiding the pool because they thought the pool had aids since clark swam in it.

• Like 1

Amazing how history can be written in such a one-sided manner. Very enlightening.. NOW I'm actually paying attention to this thread.

History just keeps making people into saints. It leaves out the negative stuff.

What's amusing is how much of history is lost in the country because government after government keeps cutting stuff out. For example; now we are cutting out the complete story of our war from the books in schools. All that our future kids and grand kids will know about the war is that some tamil terrorist decided overnight to start a war for no reason at all and a god elected leader of the country ended it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Jd. I had great deal of respect for this chap and not anymore!. This shows how blind we are as a nation! :speechless-smiley-004:

Thanks for the info Jd. I had great deal of respect for this chap and not anymore!. This shows how blind we are as a nation! :speechless-smiley-004:

Honestly there isn't anything special about Clarke. He's a common scumbag. If you look at the truth behind a lot of famous faces in this country (clergy included), you would learn some pretty shocking stories about what kind of scumbag's they really are.

• Like 3

History just keeps making people into saints. It leaves out the negative stuff.

What's amusing is how much of history is lost in the country because government after government keeps cutting stuff out. For example; now we are cutting out the complete story of our war from the books in schools. All that our future kids and grand kids will know about the war is that some tamil terrorist decided overnight to start a war for no reason at all and a god elected leader of the country ended it.

I do appreciate your thoughts..........

Personally I tell true stories in a Story Telling fashion regarding our war and the heroes towards the young ones and to my own friends. I have many first hand experiences of real great true stories. If possible will help someone write a book or a blog. We cannot let the sacrifices eroded by time, the true heroes were in all factions, 3 forces, police, CDF, clergy, civilians and politicians. Non should be forgotten.

I do appreciate your thoughts..........

Personally I tell true stories in a Story Telling fashion regarding our war and the heroes towards the young ones and to my own friends. I have many first hand experiences of real great true stories. If possible will help someone write a book or a blog. We cannot let the sacrifices eroded by time, the true heroes were in all factions, 3 forces, police, CDF, clergy, civilians and politicians. Non should be forgotten.

Actually what I think is that the entire story of the war needs to be preserved. Both from a Tamil perspective and Sinhalese perspective. It's only then that we can learn from our mistakes. It would be naive to think that the war was started by one small group of people and the only thing we need to remember is the soldiers that lost their lives. Future generations need see an unadulterated view of exactly what caused the war, the events that occurred during the duration of it and how it ended. Simply writing about people that sacrificed their lives will not have much historic value.

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 2