• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Outer Circular Highway ( O C H )

miniace

Actually what I think is that the entire story of the war needs to be preserved. Both from a Tamil perspective and Sinhalese perspective. It's only then that we can learn from our mistakes. It would be naive to think that the war was started by one small group of people and the only thing we need to remember is the soldiers that lost their lives. Future generations need see an unadulterated view of exactly what caused the war, the events that occurred during the duration of it and how it ended. Simply writing about people that sacrificed their lives will not have much historic value.

Agree.........and never forget that this issue was a result of many local, regional and global issues. It was NOT only a Tamil, Sinhalese issue, few things to point out are, even cold war, Russia and India did not like the Pro US government at that time in SL, both US and Red forces wanted to control the Indian Ocean, A Tamil issue was uprising in Tamilnadu, Indira Gandhi wanted to shift the eye of the storm out of India. Rich mineral resources of the North and east. Petty political agendas of our own political parties, cast issues and internal rifts with in the Tamil society...........the list goes on.............

And many innocent Tamils were brain washed and sent as cannon fodder, same happened to our Army in some instances at some periods of the war..........

Ultimately, Sinhalese, Tamil or Muslim........this is our country........and the losers were all of us for 30 years

Agree.........and never forget that this issue was a result of many local, regional and global issues. It was NOT only a Tamil, Sinhalese issue, few things to point out are, even cold war, Russia and India did not like the Pro US government at that time in SL, both US and Red forces wanted to control the Indian Ocean, A Tamil issue was uprising in Tamilnadu, Indira Gandhi wanted to shift the eye of the storm out of India. Rich mineral resources of the North and east. Petty political agendas of our own political parties, cast issues and internal rifts with in the Tamil society...........the list goes on.............

And many innocent Tamils were brain washed and sent as cannon fodder, same happened to our Army in some instances at some periods of the war..........

Ultimately, Sinhalese, Tamil or Muslim........this is our country........and the losers were all of us for 30 years

There were also a lot of short-falls from the Sri Lankan governments at the time (starting from 1948) too remember.. Ultimately the root for all this was those in power turning a blind eye and not treating them as any citizen should be treated. Sadly I get this gory feeling that its the same thing that's starting to happen even right now to other groups of people.

• Like 1

Honestly there isn't anything special about Clarke. He's a common scumbag. If you look at the truth behind a lot of famous faces in this country (clergy included), you would learn some pretty shocking stories about what kind of scumbag's they really are.

Yes mate!.Its damn difficult to judge people these days!

It is confirmed that the expressway will be named Arthur C Clarke expressway.

http://en.wikipedia....ircular_Highway

MINIACE

Wiki is quoting the dailynews.lk (Which is not a government body)

So there is still a chance that this might not happen.

If we have somebody from RDA here...

There were also a lot of short-falls from the Sri Lankan governments at the time (starting from 1948) too remember.. Ultimately the root for all this was those in power turning a blind eye and not treating them as any citizen should be treated. Sadly I get this gory feeling that its the same thing that's starting to happen even right now to other groups of people.

Spot on watchman. Same views here too.

Wiki is quoting the dailynews.lk (Which is not a government body)

So there is still a chance that this might not happen.

If we have somebody from RDA here...

I think we do... Jami..... he had a wheel-barrow rental service for the Southern expressway.. he might be busy these days though with his work.. he only has free time to log onto AL when the project is over.

• Like 4

I think we do... Jami..... he had a wheel-barrow rental service for the Southern expressway.. he might be busy these days though with his work.. he only has free time to log onto AL when the project is over.

I had an impression that Uthum has something to do with RDA or related places...

You should do it first man!!! http://www.rda.gov.l...essways/och.htm

Hey Man,

I don't blame you. You are referring correct source of data, but those are outdated. Those are government's information sources, not updating frequently. A policy decision has been taken to construct the OCH for 100 km/hr. Now working are ongoing with that decision. you will be experienced it once it is opened in next year (most probably)

Thanks for the patient

I had an impression that Uthum has something to do with RDA or related places...

I am not a RDA guy, but there are some connections. I also got to know it from here itself. However, I should tell you friends, there is no such decision is taken yet to name the OCH as someone's name. Still searching why wikipedia got such details on it. Will inform you further detail later.

Latest news about OCH....

Kottawa Interchange will be finished by 3 months soonest. and temporary toll gate will not be used and permanent gates will be effective. Largest, toll gate in Sri Lanka. 13 gates for in and out for traffic.....bad number hung...

All traffic comes from Galle direction should exit from the toll gate, operation will be exactly as Pinnaduwa IC. (All traffic must exit)

Remaining will be completed mid of 2013 but will go until end of 2013. Temporary Interchange (rater toll gates) will be in Kaduwela-Malambe road until the work on Kaduwela permenent IC will be completed. Kaduwela IC will be either side of the Kalani river and it is under construction by another contractor who is doing the section of Kaduwela-Kadawatha.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I noticed on my daily trip to office what is slowly starting to shape up like an interchange at Athurugiriya, although in the initial plan, there was no mention of an interchange at Athurigiriya. Turns out I was right:

Minister Kothalawala said though the original plan does not have an access road to Malabe - Athurugiriya road and to Malabe - Kaduwela road they have included two temporary entry - exit points at Pore Athurugiriya to connect the OCH to Malabe - Athurugiriya road and at Kothalwala - Kaduwela to connect the OCH to Malabe - Kaduwela or the new Kandy road. "We made these changes to make use of the first phase of the project without waiting till the completion of the entire project", the Minister said.

Source: http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2013/03/03/fea05.asp

Any idea why they have called them "temporary entry/exit points"? The same article mentions about a "high elevated road" from Athurugiriya to Orugodawatta.

Edited by Davy

I noticed on my daily trip to office what is slowly starting to shape up like an interchange at Athurugiriya, although in the initial plan, there was no mention of an interchange at Athurigiriya. Turns out I was right:

Any idea why they have called them "temporary entry/exit points"? The same article mentions about a "high elevated road" from Athurugiriya to Orugodawatta.

I don’t know about the temporary or permanent but they have acquired additional land (paddy fields) for the project at Pore, and they are filling up.

The flyover at Athurugiriya was opened yesterday. The OCH goes underneath the Malabe - Athugugiriya road at this point. Further construction is going ahead to build the interchange here:
2hka.jpg
The temporary road which was built (until the flyover was complete) can be seen towards the left of the photo.

The flyover at Athurugiriya was opened yesterday. The OCH goes underneath the Malabe - Athugugiriya road at this point. Further construction is going ahead to build the interchange here:

2hka.jpg

The temporary road which was built (until the flyover was complete) can be seen towards the left of the photo.

Nice to see some progress, hope the 1st phase will be finished by the end of this year.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

First Stage of Colombo Outer Circle Road will be vested in the public in March

February 8, 2014 3:10 pm

The first stage of the Colombo Outer Circle Road which links the Expressways and minimizes traffic congestion in the City of Colombo will be vested in the public in the first week of March.
The Southern Expressway, the Colombo-Katunayake Expressway and the proposed Northern Expressway join with the Colombo Outer Circle Road. It is being constructed under three stages. The first stage runs from Kottawa to Kaduwala while the second stage is from Kaduwala to Kadawatha. The third stage will be completed from Kadawatha to Kerawalapitiya. The total distance of the Outer Circle Road is 26 kilometres. Minister Basil Rajapaka inspected the first stage which runs from Kottawa to Kaduwala. The construction of this stage is almost nearing completion while there was an opportunity to have a glimpse of the new development by air
Minister Basil Rajapaksa said they intend to declare open this section in the first week of March. He said it could be considered as the third Expressway in the Expressway network. Also they expected to soon declare open the Expressway section between Galle and Matara.
The Outer Circle has four lanes and there is space to expand it by another two lanes. It includes six entry points. They are located at Kottawa, Athurugiriya, Kaduwala, Kadawatha, Enderemulla and Kerawalapitiya. Although there is no exit point in the Kotalawalapura area along the Kaduwala Battaramulla main road, Minister Basil Rajapaksa instructed officials to build an exit point. Lauding the efforts made to undertake construction maintaining the beauty of the environment, the Minister stressed the need to follow suite in the future.
In addition to local investments, the Japan International Cooperation Agency was also making investments in the project.
Minister Susil Premajayantha said that this was an expressway which passes the Gampaha, Colombo, Kalutara, Galle and Matara Districts. He described it as the massive development programme launched in the highways sector. It is an impetus even for investments.
Deputy Ministers Lasantha Alagiyawanna and Dulip Wijesekera and Kaduwala Mayor G.H. Buddhadasa were among who joined in this observation tour.

• 3 weeks later...