• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Shock Absobers

kmcsb

Perhaps the shocks from the JDM version is slightly different to the export version and our agents sell the export version. With KYB I think you can buy an Indonesian or Malaysian variant as well from TAAS but they do carry the Japanese version as well.

Used both types in the past and now running with second hand original shocks . There is massive difference in ride comfort when compare them to brand new kyb and tokico. I too felt that the both the kyb and tokico were not that comfortable( may be they sell some low quality alternative here).

So you are saying second hand original is better than KYB and Tokico? from where did you buy those second hand shocks, Delkanda?

Edited by kushan

So you are saying second hand original is better than KYB and Tokico? from where did you buy those second hand shocks, Delkanda?

Kushan, you never know what you will get when you replace with used shock absorbers. They may last for years or may fail in a couple of months. Also for older models its becoming increasingly difficult to find parts like that.

Also shocks when new tend to be a bit stiff and they become a bit softer as they wear on. That is how they are. My car felt a little bit more comfortable before I changed the shocks even though the front shocks had started to leak hydraulic fluid. Because this had made them softer (easier to compress and retract).

Guys, its actually got nothing to do with the factory fitted brand per say as KYB is original equipment on most Japanese vehicles.

I recently replaced all 4 shocks in my car from the original Mitsubishi units and opted for KYB. Even bought them from TAAS myself. Now when I went there they told me that I should replace my shocks with gas shocks as that was what was coming up in the system. I told them that is not the original equipment in my car and asked them to give me a hydraulic shock absorber.

At first they argued with me, and even insisted the samples I had bought were gas, but then an elderly gentleman there had a look and confirmed that they were indeed hydraulic as I had insisted. So I got hydraulic shocks.

Now why you wonder. Well for one they were the original equipment in my car, but secondly from experience I know that gas shocks are a bit stiffer than hydraulic shocks which makes them harder wearing (will last longer) but also a bit uncomfortable. Now this is not as big an issue if the original shocks in your car are gas but if you are replacing hydraulics best to stick to hydraulics.

Second issue is installing new shock absorbers will make your suspension a little stiffer as it wont sway around as much. This will improve handling, be better for your back (less bouncing around) but might feel a little bit more uncomfortable if you had gotten used to the softer bad shocks.

Add in to that, you need to make sure that, they are pressurize enough before you fix the same. as you said KYB is the original equipment manufacturer on most of the Japanese vehicles including Toyota, Nissan, Mazda etc. In fact its like more than 70%.

Actually when im searching for different part i came a cross this 4 shocks with springs removed from a one vehicle and were in good cosmetic look.(for 20k) so i took a chance and replaced it(us motors wadduwa,gave me 1 week to return if they are bad). As don said theres no way to assess the durability, but they are holding well now almost 1year!. my advice also to search for a japanese shock (kyb or tokico)

Kushan, you never know what you will get when you replace with used shock absorbers. They may last for years or may fail in a couple of months. Also for older models its becoming increasingly difficult to find parts like that.

Also shocks when new tend to be a bit stiff and they become a bit softer as they wear on. That is how they are. My car felt a little bit more comfortable before I changed the shocks even though the front shocks had started to leak hydraulic fluid. Because this had made them softer (easier to compress and retract).

Yeah Its obvious, we don't know the cat is dead or not until we open up the box. So apparently KYB get most of the votes it seems.

Muchang, make sure you pressurize it well. If so KYB won't be having any issues.

pressurising? are they normally doing that when replacing shocks, or do we have to ask it specifically, (actually I dont know about this or haven't seen this pressurising thing)

pressurising? are they normally doing that when replacing shocks, or do we have to ask it specifically, (actually I dont know about this or haven't seen this pressurising thing)

Yea, most of the mechanics won't do it just because they are lazy. So specifically ask for it. There is a guy near Taas who has been doing this for a while. You can get the contact from them.

Yea, most of the mechanics won't do it just because they are lazy. So specifically ask for it. There is a guy near Taas who has been doing this for a while. You can get the contact from them.

hmm.. thanks for the info machan, hopefully they will share me the details of that guy :)

Ok to add to the salad: I'm looking for lowering struts for my teg. Anyone know where I can get them? The vote on international forums is for tokikos. But I'm guessing I know what Douglas and his son will say to me if I go there and ask for lowerin struts

Ok to add to the salad: I'm looking for lowering struts for my teg. Anyone know where I can get them? The vote on international forums is for tokikos. But I'm guessing I know what Douglas and his son will say to me if I go there and ask for lowerin struts

Ask by part number machan. You never know, they might have the part.

• 3 weeks later...

I refer net and found tockico hu3456 & hu3457 supports for 92-00 civics...thn i askd frm doulges and they offer rs6500 each..but ther are made in taiwans..are thery normal or good..i thnk origialls are from japanese..isnt it???

also i askd KYB's and thy might br rs10000 each...i think they might be japanese..buy sales guy told mostly hondas compatible with tockico's..

so machn wht do you think????

I refer net and found tockico hu3456 & hu3457 supports for 92-00 civics...thn i askd frm doulges and they offer rs6500 each..but ther are made in taiwans..are thery normal or good..i thnk origialls are from japanese..isnt it???

also i askd KYB's and thy might br rs10000 each...i think they might be japanese..buy sales guy told mostly hondas compatible with tockico's..

so machn wht do you think????

Do they have exact part like u3456? Like komi mentioned, do they have high performance series shocks which comes in blue colour?

i think it's time to replze my front shocks in my eg8....Ive just chkd its still with factory shocks and mine done nearly 185kms..I've just bought my car one year ago and person who i bought who said tht he replced rear ones..so now i feels my front side is very low and hard to drive @outstation, some times town crappy roads also.....so some are sayting go for KYB.. But my mechanic told me go for TOKIKO brand.;..well guys wht u prefer??? any eg8 lovers...

also my front sides are very low and i its hard to drive on outstations.....its it beac of weak shocks ..???

hw much will prices of KYB'S AND TOCKIKO's???

after replzing thm should i need to do whell aligment as well??

Yesterday i replaced my CR41 front shock ab sobers with KYB oil shocks Made in Thailand 1900/- each brand new. KYB Made in japan gas shocks price was 4,500/- but i went for OIL shocks if i can run at least 10 months that's enough for this price.

Yes hu series means blue ones ....ok macan wht abut springs..I need to get same hight as my rear side gets..both ends still have original springs..will aftermart coils do better fit ..I asks tech thy said 3500 each..I think they are oem"s

Yes hu series means blue ones ....ok macan wht abut springs..I need to get same hight as my rear side gets..both ends still have original springs..will aftermart coils do better fit ..I asks tech thy said 3500 each..I think they are oem"s

Go for oem . I dont know whether you can find proper after market stuff here.

• 1 month later...

Finally i ve just upgrad my front suspension system..now im feeling good..i got better ground clearance also...seems 1.5inches hight..

Ive replazed all lower and upper arm bushes,tockico shocks,dampers,and specilly mounting bushes tockico..no spring changed And done wheel aligment to all four and refiiled with nightorgen gas..

Thanks to all you guys...

Feels get better results..

Edited by kmcsb