• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Restoration From Hell!

GTAm

craft is a dying trait all over the world

gone are the days people spent time, money and effort into fixing things...now it's all about replacement.

Saving time is the key thing so spending hours and hours to craft something doesn't make a lot of sense

True when it comes to new manufacturered products but the restoration industry is huge in the west. There are panel beating short courses (among others) in polytechnics and unis.

Ferrari for example started their own division called Ferrari Classiche for this purpose. They would not have unless they saw a pot of gold among other things :) Here it is - http://www.ferrari.com/english/services/ferrari_classiche_dept/Pages/ferrari_classiche_dep.aspx

I think with the number of billionaires growing especially in the east demand for craft is going to grow strongly.

True when it comes to new manufacturered products but the restoration industry is huge in the west. There are panel beating short courses (among others) in polytechnics and unis.

Ferrari for example started their own division called Ferrari Classiche for this purpose. They would not have unless they saw a pot of gold among other things :) Here it is - http://www.ferrari.com/english/services/ferrari_classiche_dept/Pages/ferrari_classiche_dep.aspx

I think with the number of billionaires growing especially in the east demand for craft is going to grow strongly.

The thing is though GTAm with things like 3D printing becoming more main stream, creating casts for presses etc will become more straight forward, so the crafts in demand might be somewhat different, at least when it comes to body work.

Ironically it seems easier to be able to find the crafts in the west than in Sri Lanka. Programs like wheeler dealers are so good in that sense, and I am amazed what you could actually get done with a stroll down to one of these workmen.

Engines however are a very different matter.....

The thing is though GTAm with things like 3D printing becoming more main stream, creating casts for presses etc will become more straight forward, so the crafts in demand might be somewhat different, at least when it comes to body work.

Ironically it seems easier to be able to find the crafts in the west than in Sri Lanka. Programs like wheeler dealers are so good in that sense, and I am amazed what you could actually get done with a stroll down to one of these workmen.

Engines however are a very different matter.....

Could be. But I think that "hand made" will always command a premium. Even when we see how someone managed to fabricate a difficult grille or emabelishment we are in awe with admiration compared with opening a brand new one from a packet right? That human touch adds so much value.

Yes definitely crafts are plentiful in the west because there was money to be made and government policies to encourage crafts and industries.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry no new pics. Our friend has been having a long Avurudu holiday it seems. Anyway good news. Got a bonnet from Oz and a boot lid and scuttle panel from England. All will be shipped this week. So that makes life a lot easier.

Since the side valences were work in progress the last time I visited and the floor and engine bay was done, the remaining major parts are the roof (which is truly scary), the doors - inner and outer (doesn't look too bad) and the front and rear fenders (bottoms are bad tops are good). Then there's the boot floor and rear seat wall and the front and rear valences.

So I'm having a mental target of October, but will still be happy even if it stretches to end of the year.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Sorry no new pics. Our friend has been having a long Avurudu holiday it seems. Anyway good news. Got a bonnet from Oz and a boot lid and scuttle panel from England. All will be shipped this week. So that makes life a lot easier.

Since the side valences were work in progress the last time I visited and the floor and engine bay was done, the remaining major parts are the roof (which is truly scary), the doors - inner and outer (doesn't look too bad) and the front and rear fenders (bottoms are bad tops are good). Then there's the boot floor and rear seat wall and the front and rear valences.

So I'm having a mental target of October, but will still be happy even if it stretches to end of the year.

October to complete the whole car or just the bodywork GTam?

Hi All,

How much of tax will you have to pay to clear the stuff that you ordered

tax is one thing and the hassle to clear is another issue which puts off many people from bringing down stuff from abroad

I remember going from desk to desk and getting numerous singnatures at Trico warehouse just to clear a tea chest of Christmas time goodies (all food items) years ago it took a good part of the day too!!!

tax is one thing and the hassle to clear is another issue which puts off many people from bringing down stuff from abroad

I remember going from desk to desk and getting numerous singnatures at Trico warehouse just to clear a tea chest of Christmas time goodies (all food items) years ago it took a good part of the day too!!!

Hence the issue: I bet the buggers were looking for a cut of the foodstuff. Always my fear when I bring booze through customs...

Oh tell me about it. I've gone through that process for years. I've fought with those guys and scolded them in filth too, nearly getting thrown out of the place (Or I don't know maybe jail :D). Thankfully I now have a close friend who does the whole thing for me as a favour. The goods are delieverd to my address and I pay a fee for it which is usually very small - Nominal tax. I'm truly lucky.

The funny thing was that earlier the amount of tax depended on the mood or the personality of the customs officer. I recall when I ordered similar parts on separate occassions they charged different duties. Sometimes they are just trying to throw their weight around, sometimes they think you are a parts trader and most often they just want a bribe!

I have found a joint which for £50 will deliver to my house in Nugegoda a tea chest size cardboard box full of goodies. That includes tax, clearance fee, delivery fee and shipping. Sadly they will not accept auto parts or electronic items in such a shipment. Apparently an entire container got stuck in customs since one of these boxes was full of engine parts (the officers put the boxes through x ray) and since then they send auto parts via another shipping agent in SL all together. Ironically they are able to offer flat fee delivery for flat panel tvs. Basically what they have done is agree a flat rate of duty for certain items, which allows them to expedite clearance in Colombo.

I might have misinformed some of you guys that they take auto parts in these boxes as well (well if its small you can probably squeeze them in) but officially they do not.

Last time my father went to clear an exhaust gas sensor worth about 3000 rupees (and the value was properly declared in the export documentation) they only taxed 500 rupees. I can't afford to complain but I kind of think it would be better if they were consistent so we could properly calculate the full imported cost of something.

Edited by The Don

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see the Hellboy yesterday. Very little progress since my last visit. However work on the outer side sills have begun.

Here's a pic of the left outer sill still being placed and aligned with the doors.

img2013051400289.jpg

This is an example of what sets this guy apart from your average metal worker. This is lower part of the rear door aperture. This panel is curved and arced in many directions. But he has manged to make a brand new one. And judging by his previous work I know the doors will fit perfectly.

img2013051400291.jpg

This the lower part of a door. You can see how tacky the previous repair has been. Whoever who did it is either incompetent or a cheat. Or both.

img2013051400290.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's my latest update. Just back from seeing Sergio Scaglietti. Progress has slowed a bit but that's a good thing as the money supply has been a bit slow for me these days.

s3vz.jpg

Side Valences complete and the doors close nicely.

r0vv.jpg

Lower panel for front door taking shape.

raxt.jpg
85z6.jpg
o78g.jpg

Bonnet, Boot Lid and Hard-to-turnout scuttle panel came from Oz and UK.

• 3 months later...

Another update. Our man has slowed down a bit. That could be because he's been working on very difficult areas of the car. Here are some pics.

Front right door done.

w6a6.jpg

Right side rear door completed. Note - That pillar has to be very hard to fabicate.

47v9.jpg
l8jv.jpg

Some other random pics of hard to make areas.

7eji.jpg
2znm.jpg

This is one of the old door skins. Scary no?

as05.jpg

Edited by GTAm

Facing a scary problem. I am unable to find the two bumpers of the car as well two rear suspension arms. Searching everywhere. I hate to think someones pinched the two SS bympers but how can such a large item go missing is the question. :(

You mean they were disassembled and misplaced? Ado...

Yes machan. They were taken off at our office in Kotahena where all my old parts are kept. The driver recalls taking the bumpers to the Tinker. The tinker disagrees. I am afraid that someone jumped into his place and burgled him. It has happened before. But he's a stubborn mule and will not agree.

The scarier situ is if it got lost inside our office. That would mean there is an in-house burglar. Which means I will have to go and kick some butt.

Anyway I have not given up hope fully. Will search ever nook and corner before giving up and making a decision to import them, which is going to cost an arm.

Dude that sucks!...The driver dropped them off at the right place I assume

I find nobody is willing to accept responsibility these days.Even after constant reminding that all four butterfly wheel nuts tighten and loosen in the same direction,Just yesterday one of my people managed to blunt the screw thread of butterfly wheel nut of the Magnette.And the bugger had the balls to blame the 'sudda fellows"who designed that system instead of accepting the blame...So now I'm stuck with an immobile car untill I get down another nut or the machine shop finds a cure...

Ha ha that's a good one blame the Suddahs. That's really frustrating MD. Are you coming tomorrow for the run?

I might...The thing is the grand prix is on at 10.30 and unlike you colombo buggers I can't get back to Kelaniya in time for the start...

• 4 months later...

Gulp I just realized that I had not updated this for a while. Went there today after a two month break.

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that there's some visible progress. Bad news is that he's screwed up the rear fender and wheel arch. The arches are very square and flat at the rear. The previous artist had rounded and flared them.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1an93kN2MRLtyAgERGflYRcGoInuF1g6uzsJ_IWbQKbA/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sDu2jNoi18tIoKNVdEtMEyPt33aOU8MR-CgcjrKxxmE/edit?usp=sharing

Another complex shape being turned out.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IdWN4WxP2N3-AAhtWgWSyksnrQX7c13wUbkXOXGmQb8/edit?usp=sharing

How not to do it. Three layers of steel welded together and covered with filler. Now rusted.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bWtenBCyKFVrx2UkgW9eJQfR1nUPZRwsk64_j11aFiA/edit?usp=sharing

Neat job at the top of the rear fenders.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G2vdpprXqQl4yTsUfHdMg20V4Fv8oQVCX4W4Uhwt264/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vC8GF8KOjjlF0YPPSWxUOwQ2arcFlAj-Ky2UUwjJURg/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 1

Many of the complex stuff is done. The remaining complex area is the entire boot floor and reinforcements. Others are just somewhat straight forward outer panels including the roof! Looks like the body will be done well before the end of 2014! :)