• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Day I Picked Up My 8Th Mazda

dillongt

Mitsu and PSA could and should have worked better. Perhaps they did not want to get too close to each other beyond those few tie ups. PSA is weak in Asia and absent in the US completely where Mitsu has some presence. Mitsu is weak in diesel engine tech which is absolutely essential in Europe. Mitsu's Galant is completely outdated and they could have easily shared the 508's platform and save millions of development costs.They could have and should have made it work better. But I guess they did not have their minds open enough for farsighted enough. The Japanese are vehemently against foreigner's buying their companies or even entering the domestic market. On the other hand Peugeot is essentially a family run business that seems to lack the will to become a global player.

Now both are in precarious positions. Peugeot may be in a slightly better position with the GM tie up whose Opel/Vauxhall is another loss making unit. They maybe able to pool resources for future development. But given GM's record with tie ups I'm not expecting much.

The French govt. might give Pug a lifeline to avoid unpopular plant closures and Mitsu's parent company might keep funding coming for a while. But for how long in today's disastrous world economy is the question.

Mitsu and PSA could and should have worked better. Perhaps they did not want to get too close to each other beyond those few tie ups. PSA is weak in Asia and absent in the US completely where Mitsu has some presence. Mitsu is weak in diesel engine tech which is absolutely essential in Europe. Mitsu's Galant is completely outdated and they could have easily shared the 508's platform and save millions of development costs.They could have and should have made it work better. But I guess they did not have their minds open enough for farsighted enough. The Japanese are vehemently against foreigner's buying their companies or even entering the domestic market. On the other hand Peugeot is essentially a family run business that seems to lack the will to become a global player.

Now both are in precarious positions. Peugeot may be in a slightly better position with the GM tie up whose Opel/Vauxhall is another loss making unit. They maybe able to pool resources for future development. But given GM's record with tie ups I'm not expecting much.

The French govt. might give Pug a lifeline to avoid unpopular plant closures and Mitsu's parent company might keep funding coming for a while. But for how long in today's disastrous world economy is the question.

I think Mitsubishi already uses Peugeot technology in their common rail Diesel engines. Yes I agree, they should have made the co-operation work better and to be honest it could have worked for both parties. Mitsubishi could have helped Peugeot introduce Japanese quality control to PSA manufacturing processes (which they sadly still lack, I noted the 3008 and 5008 while looking fantastic still has less than desirable reliability for new cars) and perhaps become a part supplier while PSA could have helped Mitsubishi design vehicles better suited to the European markets and perhaps shared some platforms. PSA could have built their 4X4s on Mitsubishi platforms while Mitsubishi could have borrowed PSA platforms for their mid sized sedans. And perhaps, just perhaps this could have helped them both break the North American market.

Mitsubishi's withdrawal from Rallying while helping its balance sheet in one way has dented its image and market share in other ways.....

Edited by The Don

I think Mitsubishi already uses Peugeot technology in their common rail Diesel engines. Yes I agree, they should have made the co-operation work better and to be honest it could have worked for both parties. Mitsubishi could have helped Peugeot introduce Japanese quality control to PSA manufacturing processes (which they sadly still lack, I noted the 3008 and 5008 while looking fantastic still has less than desirable reliability for new cars) and perhaps become a part supplier while PSA could have helped Mitsubishi design vehicles better suited to the European markets and perhaps shared some platforms. PSA could have built their 4X4s on Mitsubishi platforms while Mitsubishi could have borrowed PSA platforms for their mid sized sedans. And perhaps, just perhaps this could have helped them both break the North American market.

Mitsubishi's withdrawal from Rallying while helping its balance sheet in one way has dented its image and market share in other ways.....

Hi Don came across this today. You'll find it quite depressing let me warn you.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/08/mitsubishi-pins-its-hopes-on-a-mirage/#more-455086

Looks like Mitsu is relying on Nissan for new products. Which means eventually Renault Nissan might swallow them. That looks like a reworked Micra/March which is mediocre already. It shows how desperately they need volume and lack development funds.

Look at last month's sales figures in the US, Audi being a premium brand sold almost 3 times Mitsu's volumes.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120801/RETAIL01/120809998/1448/u-s-sales-rise-9-toyota-honda-vw-offset-declines-at-gm-ford