• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Getting A New English Number For The Old Registration Number

n2rox

Question

Bumping an old thread, sorry about that, didn't want to open a new one for a similar question!

This is a question that I've been wondering about for a while, couldn't find any valuble info by searching either.

Are there any specific differences betwen the following vehicle number plate series 300, 301, 302 (petrol) and also between 54, 56, 64, 65 etc (diesel) other than their age?

I heard that you get a specific series when an engine swap is done, is there anyway to identify such a vehicle?

Yes there is, but there's no rules per se, since RMV folks change their minds more frequently than a model changes her dresses in a fashion show...

For example - the initial set of 64 - numbers were allocated to converted vehicles. 64-0XXX numbers were actually in existence even while 32- was being issued. After running out of 32- numbers, 64- became the norm for all newly registered diesel cars

For a very short time period, RMV issued G-numbers for any vehicle that was bought off forces/DPL auctions. Im not sure how many such numbers were issued. Later they restarted 325- series, then EA- series and also FZ- series for ex-DPL cars.

There are only a few (around 1500 i think) 302- numbered vehicles on the road. You need to be a little careful in buying a 302- vehicle because there have been one or two instances where fake 302-plate vehicles have been found. Cops know the last issued 302- number so only a 'special' person can play that trick now.

There was a time when 325- and 227- (not really sure about the latter) numbers were allocated for vehicles which were convetred from petrol to diesel or vehicles that were bought from the forces. But not anymore. Nowadays if a 19- vehicle is converted to diesel, it will still retain 19- afaik.

EA- EB- EC- EK- FW- are also issued for vehicles which were converted to english numbers. Just the number has changed. Nothing else.

I havent heard of any exceptions involving 300-, 301-, 65-, 54-, 56- numbers.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 2

Yes there is, but there's no rules per se, since RMV folks change their minds more frequently than a model changes her dresses in a fashion show...

For example - the initial set of 64 - numbers were allocated to converted vehicles. 64-0XXX numbers were actually in existence even while 32- was being issued. After running out of 32- numbers, 64- became the norm for all newly registered diesel cars

For a very short time period, RMV issued G-numbers for any vehicle that was bought off forces/DPL auctions. Im not sure how many such numbers were issued. Later they restarted 325- series, then EA- series and also FZ- series for ex-DPL cars.

There are only a few (around 1500 i think) 302- numbered vehicles on the road. You need to be a little careful in buying a 302- vehicle because there have been one or two instances where fake 302-plate vehicles have been found. Cops know the last issued 302- number so only a 'special' person can play that trick now.

There was a time when 325- and 227- (not really sure about the latter) numbers were allocated for vehicles which were convetred from petrol to diesel or vehicles that were bought from the forces. But not anymore. Nowadays if a 19- vehicle is converted to diesel, it will still retain 19- afaik.

EA- EB- EC- EK- FW- are also issued for vehicles which were converted to english numbers. Just the number has changed. Nothing else.

I havent heard of any exceptions involving 300-, 301-, 65-, 54-, 56- numbers.

This is quite useful information. I was always wondering what these EA- and FZ- numbers were. Thanks for sharing Crosswind.

Number 99 is being given for diesel converted cars

Not really

99 was started after the completion of 65- series, only very few as GA- series started in August 2000, according to my memory

Earlier the converted vehicles got the ongoing numbers

Eg ; if someone converted a 10 sri car in to diesel in 1998 or 1999, he got 65- series number

So there may be converted cars with 99 plates.

325 was given for converted vehicles therafter, ( that was began in year 2000 as if I can remember)

I heard that you get a specific series when an engine swap is done, is there anyway to identify such a vehicle?

Yes

Check the model/chassis number, and also the engine number

If you are in doubt you can request for a vehicle history through a lawyer from the RMV

39 minutes ago, samudra udayanga said:

Hi friends,

I have seen many FZ and EA number plates in old vehicles. How can this be obtained ???? What category of vehicles are eligeble for this...... If any body can shed some light on this, It 'd be a great favour :rolleyes: I m bit confused on this !!!1 :unsure: .

Tks in advance,

I believe most of these cars are ones where the registration number had to change, e.g. old DPL, military, etc..number plated cars needing re-registration. I believe at some point this also applied to petrol to diesel conversions (as the number had to change from numbers like 32/64/etc... to a petrol number). 

This number plate system is a mess to begin with. 

FZ - Re-registered diplomat vehicles bearing DP-XXXX plates. Not quite sure whether 98-XXXX ones were given FZ plates 

EA - onwards - This was opened for motor cars in 18/19/300/301/302 and 32/64 categories to re-register under new English number system. This was opened for 325 - ones as well. 

325 was originally given for converted re-registrations and some ex-military vehicle re-registrations. 

Thanks both! I'm a little weary of Darley road (the hassle you get from touts when you try to get something done there) Is there anywhere close to Nugegoda either of you might know about. (My apologies, I spend most of the year outside Sri Lanka and most places I used to go to no longer operate!)

infront of nawala seylan bank................