• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Beware: Darley Road Accessory Sellers

kee

I fixed a seat cover set for 4000/= By Aj*th Motors. While it was fixing, they have broken two clips of rear seat cushion. So I pay only 3000/= and asked them to bring me the new clips and pay the balance and went. I was waiting for two days, they didn’t respond. So bought two clips for only 140/= by A*W.

But I was wondering why they gave up the 1000/=, by selling seat covers are they have more profit than 1000/=?

I dont know why that our people are so keen to preserve the vehicle seats to next owner!(unless you have really damaged seats and you're not in a position to redo them.) For me those covers ruin the look of the interior and probably obstruct the ventilation . The worst part is some of guys drive even without removing the polythene covers which comes out of the factory! :speechless-smiley-004:
  • Like 6

i

Have a slightly different take on this.

As much as its horrid and shameful to admit this....i too have been ripped off there. Despite me going to the college right opposite those shops too for all my schooling years :P

If you're new to cars, dint really have friends who had cars and wasn't familiar with places like AL... it's not too difficult to get into trouble.

When i got my first car and took it there to sort out a power shutter issue...never really thought scammers like that existed. Was naive to think people wouldn't do that sorta shit :D

Those kuddas in overalls do a pretty good con job too.

They always carry some tools with them and appear to be people working for the shops there. And they use the parking problems to their advantage.

If you're new to the subject, you're pretty much screwed cos those guys are pro scammers and they are bloody good at it.

I still go there to get stuff...in fact was there over the weekend to replace a busted remote lock motor but i now know exactly how to handle things there.

Same as ripper :D

Didn't know a shit about cars when i got the first car. went there with mom to fix number plates for around 750rs and came back with loads of other stuff and moms purse was around 7000 rupees lighter!! :speechless-smiley-004: (we were surrounded by 8,9 men doing soo many things to the car and all happened in a flash!)

bloody good with scams these people !!

As much as its horrid and shameful to admit this....i too have been ripped off there. Despite me going to the college right opposite those shops too for all my schooling years :P

If you're new to cars, dint really have friends who had cars and wasn't familiar with places like AL... it's not too difficult to get into trouble.

When i got my first car and took it there to sort out a power shutter issue...never really thought scammers like that existed. Was naive to think people wouldn't do that sorta shit :D

They always carry some tools with them and appear to be people working for the shops there. And they use the parking problems to their advantage.

If you're new to the subject, you're pretty much screwed cos those guys are pro scammers and they are bloody good at it.

I still go there to get stuff...in fact was there over the weekend to replace a busted remote lock motor but i now know exactly how to handle things there.

Yes, I think I can relate to that too, except by a trick of fate I did not get scammed. This was about 8 ago (funny how things have not changed) and some bugger got into my car as well and diverted me to a little yard just off Darley road. I just needed a rubber bush and some tabs, some hub caps for the alloys. These guys started coming over with all sorts of crap and started improving to get things to fit etc. I sensed shit was about to hit the ceiling, told them to take everything off got in the car and drove off. Since then I have not bothered to go that way again :) (hence my apprehension for going there for some number plates).

Luckily for me my first few times were with my dad and he knew how to get around the place quite well. Taught me a thing or two about the area and probably saved me from running into such a situation.

I guess the most important thing to keep in mind is to not let these kudda fellows get in your way; just stick to the reputed shops and get the job done by them. Plus if your requirement can be satisfied without you having to take the car there, then don't.

Just in case you guys didn't know this is what occurred on darley road last year.

A fellow like OP went in to get visors or something. They installed everything they could on his car. They gave him a bill of about 20k IIRC and the guy refused to pay. They kept his wallet and harassed him until he finally went to the police. The police went in and got an estimate from some shops there on how much the crap was really worth. It turned out to be a fraction of what he was charged. They rounded up the kuddas and beat em up. End of story.

See what you need to know about darley road is that unless you have a pair of balls, you should avoid it. If someone tries to touch your car without your consent, say a few choice words about what you will do to them if they touch your car. Don't be nice to the kuddas. Seriously the last kudda who tried to stick that beading crap on my door got a reminder of how I felt about his mother. I still go there and get things done because there are certain things like clips that I can only find in darley road, however, I only deal directly with the shops and never let a drug addict in my car. If you let a complete stranger get in the car with you you deserve to lose your butt cherry.

• Like 8

haha, reminds me the belt trick petta hawkers play on new comers to colombo. :)

To kids who buy stuff from Darley road: Go directly to the shops and talk to the owner! If you cant go with a matured adult to look after the vehicle while you are in the shop, park it else where and walk to the shop. ( pay 50 bucks and put it in excel world car park) Dont even look at those kuddas!

• Like 1

All these posts make me wonder how many of those poor bugger wandering around with GTR badges and spoilers on their Maruti's just went to Darley road to buy a sun shade and came out again with all that crap on their cars...

All these posts make me wonder how many of those poor bugger wandering around with GTR badges and spoilers on their Maruti's just went to Darley road to buy a sun shade and came out again with all that crap on their cars...

Yes, poor get ripped off by 1000s by kuddas of darley rd , rich men get ripped off at dealerships and agents & reputed garages on 10000s .its not the wealth that saves your ass but some common sense.

Edited by Cyclist
  • Like 5

I dont know why that our people are so keen to preserve the vehicle seats to next owner!(unless you have really damaged seats and you're not in a position to redo them.) For me those covers ruin the look of the interior and probably obstruct the ventilation . The worst part is some of guys drive even without removing the polythene covers which comes out of the factory! :speechless-smiley-004:

thumbs-up.png

well first of all, Thanks for thinking to inform everyone about it

for people like me, who are out of Colombo and not familiar with the shops and procedures there this thread is useful

But seriously, How many badges did you rivet?

or did you spell out a name using rivets? O.o

and just my 2cents, most people avoid places like Sun Lanka and all thinking the prices will be too high

but for these kind of stuff, i find this big places are more cheaper.

few shops in Kandy quoted me 2500 -3500 for a set of door visors

but got the same pair from sun lanka for 1850.

I need to get door visors!

the OP didnt log in after the eight comment...and we are still commenting... including me..

almost everybody would have learned a lesson at darly road..otherwise there wont be this much comments for this incident...(of course this is also including me )

Like deja vu, no? It's thanks to you and that thread that I ended up NOT getting scammed there.

only once i went there to get the tints done but what i did was go by bus spoke to a few shops agreed on the price for the car and the tint and then took the car ,the fellows in overalls tried their best to get me to come their way but was firm in saying NO and went to the shop whic i had already agreed ,that was because i have been warned by people on dealing with the darley road,panchikawatte chaps before

but even then as far as possible i wont go there by car as its a real hassle with all those touts and brokers

it did remind me of world market in pettah those days

http://forum.autolan...ey-road-advice/

Like deja vu, no? It's thanks to you and that thread that I ended up NOT getting scammed there.

after all that drama...now i do most stuff DIY. Back then i was completely new to the game :)

these scammers are everywhere nowadays machang

recently my 360 went Kaput. RROD. When i checked with our local "experts"...they tell you all these tall tales. And how expensive their equipment is, how they took a dump in the morning blah blah and quote you some crazy price to fix things. That too they make it sound like they are doing a favor to you by taking a job on.

I fixed my 360 meself in the morning. Costed me like 4k including the price for a hot air gun :D Works like a charm now :)

Dear Kee, it seems your fault.

Not only at the Darley road, have a habit of getting confirmed the final price and the quality you expected, before you let other person to start your work. Keep such matters under your control.

I faced same incident 4 years ago and first of all I kept the doors locked. It was my first attempt to Darley road and Kudda was trying to start the glass tint without my permission and I strongly refused.Then I asked “what is your rock bottom price ?” He replied Rs.2,800/= for the tint and I refused and moved to another shop and got it done at Rs.1,200/=.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

:D :D... It is so fun to see these comments... actually you should know buggers before you going there, one of my friend went to get his badges rivet, and came home with...,

1. Fixed all the cups of the tires by cables to the rim.

2. Fixed the side mirror lense to the side mirror by cable,

3. Beading for the edges of the doors (charged by feets)

4. Tinted all the glasses, except the front windshield. :D

5. And of course the badges with rivets.

Finally they have charged him around 13K. Poor fellow did not have that much of money at that moment, so he has went to the bank with those buggers in the back seats, and paid them in the bank.. :D

Because I know the story, when I go there I tell them this list they can do for my car, and say I dont need any of those. :D :D

Guys, remember this list, and tell them before they saying a word, show them that you knows abt them... :D. Dont go there like a helpless little fellow, Go with confidence and show them you are the man, :D

Edited by kushan
  • Like 2

Hmmm . Darley Road or wherever, it pays to be diligent.

However, I hv positive experiences at Darley road - been there twice (once without the vehicle) and both times came out with the requirement at a comparable price without the said harrasment.

Must hv been off-day's for kudda's judging from the picture painted here.