• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Vios - Service Intervals

mahasenh

Dear all,

This may sound a bit stupid, but I guess this forum exists in clarifying even the ground level facts which we should clear out.

My Toyota Vios car manual says, the service interval has to be once in every 10,000km, where the engine oil and the oil filter will have to be replaced too.

However, the general belief among ourselves is that a service at every 5,000km is needed.

Could anyone from the community clarify me this?

Thanks in advance.

I tried out searching through the exisitng posts, couldn't find an appropriate answer.

Could someone from the community please help us out.

I think if you run the car regularly you should consider changing oil and the filter every 5K km or so. This is a cheap precaution to guard against low quality engine oil, high ambient temperatures, dust, worn out engines, crappy oil filters etc that you get in SL.

• Like 1

Fully agree with Don.

Three years back when i just bought my Ti, I stepped in to a well known spares shop , to buy the oil filter ( I buy my own oil and filter those days). They referred to a certain manual and gave me the filter model (toyota genuine) which was going for the 5AFE engine , the 212 had. These people charged me some thing like 2.5K. When i put the car to the service , the service guy pointed out that the model no of the filter i bought was different to what he was using, and refused to install the filter. Also, this guy told me that teh usual toyota filter was only 1.5K. Got pissed and visited the spares guy to remind him a thing or two on ripping people. But on the way as i happened to recall an ex agent guy's contact , called the dude and wanted him to give me an opinion.

According to him, you get two versions for the filter. The one brought down by agent was 1.5K and was only good for 5,000kms (Asian version) and the one i got was good for 10,000 kms. The former happened to be something custom done for Asia. Hence, i hope it explains why the manual specifies a 10,000Km oil change. (although Vios was Thai built, feel the Japs didn't discriminate :sport-smiley-004:)

But, having said that Sri-Lankan conditions such as poor fuel quality, dust, grime etc. will definitely call for a 5,oookm oil change. If you are not so keen , perhaps you can use a fully synthetic lubricant, but still within 06 months and not exceeding 10,000kms by much before the oil change, but do the lube check at 5,ooo kms atleast. Experts pls qualify my point, as am not a pro at all to recommend full synthetics, since i hear much mixed views on this.

Edited by Warlord
  • Like 1

Dear all,

This may sound a bit stupid, but I guess this forum exists in clarifying even the ground level facts which we should clear out.

My Toyota Vios car manual says, the service interval has to be once in every 10,000km, where the engine oil and the oil filter will have to be replaced too.

However, the general belief among ourselves is that a service at every 5,000km is needed.

Could anyone from the community clarify me this?

Thanks in advance.

I used a vios (2005) for three years and reluctanly sold it few months ago. I thought it would be helpful for you if i could share my experiances with you.

regarding the services: it would be better to do the services in 5000 km intervels (I serviced it once in 3-4 months, even without passing 5000 km interval)

Replace the filter together with the oil change (i always use genuine toyota oil and filter)

Check the airfilter during the service and normally you may need to replace it in 20000 km interval. Please note that once i thought to use a non-genuine filter ( VIC) just due to the cost of the original filter. Actually, i did it my self. I found that even the non-genuine one is made for the vios, it doesnot exactly fit to the air filter chamber and does not properly seal it. So, without taking a risk, I went again for the genuine one

Change the 4 plugs at 20000 km intervels

Check the front boots during the service.

Never use duplicate break pads, the duplicate pads those were fitted to my vehicle when i purchased it (i got an unregistered one). Later i found those pads have badly damage the disk plates. So, I had to reface the disks and buy genuine break pads.

change auto-gear oil in 40000 km intervals. remember to ask them to flush out the old oil when replacing. So, you will need around 5 liters of oil for this replacement.

If you maintain well, vios give you a good service with a great fuel economy. I have driven long distances with with efficiency of 17km/l. Only machianical issue i got during 50000 km usage was the worn out oil seal which is inbetween the auto gear box and the engine. I was a quite a tedious replacement which cost me 12.000 Rs. In addition I had to refill the caliper pins of the front wheels since vehicle gave some (tuk, tuk) noises in unpaved roads. Nothing more, though some people say it is a Thai made car with inferior built quality.

Edited by udayap
  • Like 2

Thank you very much for sharing your views. Take a bow guys!!!

@udayap - special thanks to you for sharing your views and experience about the Vios.

I've been driving the car for the last one month. When driven carefully it did 12.56km/l inside city limits (Union Place, Vaxuall Street, Nawala, Bamba). It certainly is a fuel efficient vehicle.

About your tips, everything looks fine, except that the replacement of the airfilter in 20,000km. I thought you could inspect it in every service (as I did with my previous Swift) and could go for a replacement after 40,000km. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

And if I may ask you, do you get a specific "Oil Filter number" associated with the recommended one, along with the brand, Toyota?

Thank you once again to all those who contributed to my post.

Cheers!!!

Dear Freinds. I use toyota vios manual 2004..

I got used car in february and did a service at MMAAGGCITY in Kandy(ambatenna).. They have mentioned in my service card.. service interval is 3000Km and oil change at 4000km interval..

Why is that differnet figures.. I used VIC filter and Mobil engine oil

further my car in manual and does over 20KM/l long and 15Km/l in city limit

Further I want to clarify, My cluch pad is little hard to press. magcity ppls syas replcace the clutch.. but this car did only 58000Km mileage. and also i read lots of articles in internet. according to them. they shd hav a slip to replace clutch.. but i dnt recordnise any slip.. it engages very well.

pls advice

@Jayashantha,

I'm no pro with vehicles, but I feel, on certain things, I've got a bit of common sense :)

Service stations and all those recognized repairing places, always do this. If you look at the VIOS car manual, it says a service in every 10,000km would suffice. But with dusty conditions here, I guess as the experts have pointed above, a service and oil change in every 5,000km is more than enough.

Those stations, just reduce the service and oil filter replacement intervals just to make money. Do not get caught to those (unless you're paid by someone for those replacements and services :D).

I've seen some people saying that certain places recommend doing wheel-alignments for every 10,000km, which is absurd. So this is a carbon copy of that kind of a practice.

I personally feel you could use Toyota Engilne oil and oil filters, which is slightly expensive than Mobil, but the Toyota filter can run for 10,000km before the replacement (VIC too is good, but not sure how often you need to replace).

Hope I've shared something useful :)

I got used car in february and did a service at MMAAGGCITY in Kandy(ambatenna).. They have mentioned in my service card.. service interval is 3000Km and oil change at 4000km interval..

Further I want to clarify, My cluch pad is little hard to press. magcity ppls syas replcace the clutch.. but this car did only 58000Km mileage. and also i read lots of articles in internet. according to them. they shd hav a slip to replace clutch.. but i dnt recordnise any slip.. it engages very well.

pls advice

You need to do two things. Two very important things in the given order.

1. Avoid Mag Sh*tty always

2. Check the clutch pedal spring. May be get it oiled

If item 2 above doesn't solve your problem, you can show the car to a competent mechanic

• Like 1

pls advice

just a friendly advice if you love your car just keep far away from mag city as possible they rob you blind and ruin your car. as above said do your service around every 5000km.

btw check this out

Service stations would like it even better if you do a service every 1000km, simply because its more business for them. 5k sounds like a reasonable interval, based on what everyone (car users) says...

I honestly dunno how people manage 12.65km/l inside city limits with a Vios. Mine does a little under 10 on my daily commute from Sri Japura to Orion City, and up to 11 when I travel to Rathmalana. Unless "careful" driving means crawling along at 30 holding up traffic behind you and there are buggers on push bikes who leave you behind when pulling away from traffic lights.

Few simple things for you............following I say with experience and will not get into any trouble.

Has read the manual many times and also did use one for sometime.

1. Use Mineral oil, use Toyota so no blame at all

2. Change Oil at minimum 5K, if you can do 4.5K or 4K is better. Do not leave oil in the engine more than 4months, even if less than 4K, change it.

3. Use genuine Toyota filter, very cheap when you buy from Toyota. Now there are so many branches

4. Use 95 Octane, (I know few will differ, but that the engine is designed to use RON 91 or above)

5. Change ATF, Brake Oil, Steering Oil, at 40K intervals. Inspect coolant color and condition at this interval, usually I do change it.

6. Inspect Air Filter at least every 10K, clean it. Change at least one a year

7. If you park in sun and if you have leather seats it will start cracking. Use a good leather conditioner, at minimum once a month. Will last for a good time.

• Like 1

Few simple things for you............following I say with experience and will not get into any trouble.

Has read the manual many times and also did use one for sometime.

1. Use Mineral oil, use Toyota so no blame at all

2. Change Oil at minimum 5K, if you can do 4.5K or 4K is better. Do not leave oil in the engine more than 4months, even if less than 4K, change it.

3. Use genuine Toyota filter, very cheap when you buy from Toyota. Now there are so many branches

4. Use 95 Octane, (I know few will differ, but that the engine is designed to use RON 91 or above)

5. Change ATF, Brake Oil, Steering Oil, at 40K intervals. Inspect coolant color and condition at this interval, usually I do change it.

6. Inspect Air Filter at least every 10K, clean it. Change at least one a year

7. If you park in sun and if you have leather seats it will start cracking. Use a good leather conditioner, at minimum once a month. Will last for a good time.

thank you freind.. in item 4... I used Euro 3 petrol in IOC.. is it good ???

Members,

Magcity in Colombo had fixed very big LED Advertising board to say that they do painting in one day.

I think now they have stopped doing work after hours (6PM)

There are lot of customers not satisfied with their work.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

Magcity in Colombo had fixed very big LED Advertising board to say that they do painting in one day.

How big is the board? And what are the colours they use in it? Does the board look like it has a good quality finish? Is it hanging from somewhere, or posted on something, or mounted to a wall?

• Like 2

IF anyone here is in Kandy around. could you please tell me a place where good mechanic person can be found.

I wnat fair place. cos all try to do their business only.

I go to M**City only for service at every 5K. Simply ignore the "next service at 3K" in the service card. I check bushes, CV boots once the car lifts. Not 100% ok with them, but for regular service, they are getting better now (Ambatenna one).

For other mechanical and electronic/electrical repairs and paint, can't recommend them. There are two places me and father visits, so far they are ok. PM'ed

Members,

I think now they have stopped doing work after hours (6PM)

There are lot of customers not satisfied with their work.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Seems like they are losing their valued customers therefore they have come with something to attract the new customers.

Edited by Shanjeev