• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying a new smartphone

Zambo

I'm gonna throw a wild idea out there. You can get a Galaxy tab 7 incher with calling capabilities (from US prices)

Its not convenient to carry around, its not the latest, I doubt if you'll get JellyBean, BUT, if you want max screen size for your bucks...

One of my friends who keeps loosing his phone actually used the tab as a primary phone. Ridiculous if you have to hold it to your face, but you can use a bluetooth headset for the calls and avoid that issue.

Also check the Dell Streak. Not mainstream, but I knew a guy who used one, no problems reported.

ayyo salli... chinese van, indian van, chinese phone.. ane manda..

The person who boasts the MOST about his wealth on the forum is the one who keeps pushing all these cheap, low quality junk.

wait! you guys buy from these places like Singer and Abans!? are you kidding me!? :speechless-smiley-004: :speechless-smiley-004:

My ex bought her LG from Abans. It not too bad, even if it is overpriced, and there is the peace of mind of a warranty. But they only stock limited models, generally not the real high end stuff.

Speaking of which, there might be something in the LG range.

The person who boasts the MOST about his wealth on the forum is the one who keeps pushing all these cheap, low quality junk.

My ex bought her LG from Abans. It not too bad, even if it is overpriced, and there is the peace of mind of a warranty. But they only stock limited models, generally not the real high end stuff.

well if you dont mind resale value i guess LG isnt a bad option.

coz on february i got a deal for a slighty used lg optimus 3d for 20k

they depreciate more than motorola.in SL

i still say play it safe and go for a sony or a samsung. the new xperia range is superb,

• Like 1

Thats one good thing about buying from places like Abans, but on the other hand phones dont break unless you drop them or water seeks into them.

plus when it comes to Android if you root your phone your warranty will be void

For those who are thinking of buying a smartphone from US, you can go to http://www.att.com/s...martphones.html

I bought S.G. SII Skyrocket for $99 early this year (now you can buy the SIII), and last week Pantech Burst for .99 cents. Pantech is also a not bad phone, it has 1.2 dual core processor and works 'almost' good as the S.G. SII Skyrocket with 1.5 dual core. And with the Pantech nobody would know its a cheaper phone as the logo Pantech does not display on front. But for the ppl who are visiting USA will have to pay $150 deposit..!!

Oh.. and the Iphone 4S was $100 last week..

So i'm just telling this for u guys to know, and you can decide. (Ex - if you buy Pantech $0.99 for the phone + $150 Deposit + the charges to break the AT&T lock in SL)

KMeeg.

Edited by kmeeg

Croswind,

According to a well known mobile importing company, today fastest selling is Samsung mobile..

There are Chinese mobiles in Pettah mobile dealers, same as Samsung for less than Rs:7500.00 Touch screen,who import them through the regular Singapore travelers.

One of my workers use Chinese phone with touch screen for last 8 months without any trouble which he bought for Rs: 6000.00.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

How is this different from the time you praised the Tata Nano like it was god's gift to the world cos your neighbour bought it. Few months later you came back complaining how this broke down and that broke down etc etc. So for starters your advice has no credibility. You're like prostitute from punchi borella who hooks a customer by calling him the sexiest man she's ever seen, and then when he ends up being a bad tipper says he's a ugly cheapo that no woman will sleep with. Am I wrong sylvi?

And Mobile phones (leave aside smart phones) dont fall under your 50 years of experience. So why dont you get yourself a hot cup of STFU.

• Like 1

For those who are thinking of buying a smartphone from US, you can go to http://www.att.com/s...martphones.html

I bought S.G. SII Skyrocket for $99 early this year (now you can buy the SIII), and last week Pantech Burst for .99 cents. Pantech is also a not bad phone, it has 1.2 dual core processor and works 'almost' good as the S.G. SII Skyrocket with 1.5 dual core. And with the Pantech nobody would know its a cheaper phone as the logo Pantech does not display on front. But for the ppl who are visiting USA will have to pay $150 deposit..!!

Oh.. and the Iphone 4S was $100 last week..

So i'm just telling this for u guys to know, and you can decide. (Ex - if you buy Pantech $0.99 for the phone + $150 Deposit + the charges to break the AT&T lock in SL)

KMeeg.

Bullsh*t. Unless you get a prepaid phone or unlocked, both of which cost significantly more, you will need to sign a contract. To sign a contract you would need a social security number and address in the U.S IIRC. Also if you break the contract before two years, you will have to pay quite a bit. If you don't pay, you will risk a negative entry into your credit report and collections. I don't think anyone who has a social security number would risk that.

Stop bullsh*tting people ok?

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 1

I don't actually mind a lightly used phone.

any good sources for new/lightly used phones?

Well, I've been buying my phones from a shop in MC called Divine Cell care, haven't had any issues so far, One of my friends even got his phone replaced with a new one after he effed up the file system of his newly bought phone. Mind you this is good 3 years ago, the place is a bit crowded and expanded now, so the things might be bit different. If you want to check prices ring this and see, Gihan (Owner) : 0773241842 . Avoid his 'chak golayos' and try to talk to him directly.

Bullsh*t. Unless you get a prepaid phone or unlocked, both of which cost significantly more, you will need to sign a contract. To sign a contract you would need a social security number and address in the U.S IIRC. Also if you break the contract before two years, you will have to pay quite a bit. If you don't pay, you will risk a negative entry into your credit report and collections. I don't think anyone who has a social security number would risk that.

Stop bullsh*tting people ok?

Dude's got some sort of brain development issue. Using his own logic if you're paying 0.99 to BUY the phone why would they charge a "deposit". And an iPhone for USD100? I bet he'd make a great Venture capitalist to Nigerian princes who want to start businesses in Sri Lanka :D

Dude's got some sort of brain development issue. Using his own logic if you're paying 0.99 to BUY the phone why would they charge a "deposit". And an iPhone for USD100? I bet he'd make a great Venture capitalist to Nigerian princes who want to start businesses in Sri Lanka :D

The best part is that he bought a sii earlier this year and a pantec last week.....

Seriously these are the kinds of lies I we would hear from a 7 year old. Not a grown man.

Also, knowing at&t, they wold gang rape you before they let you rip them off. How it usually works is that they rip the customers off.

Aso, I have been with at&T for quite a while and never had to pay this "deposit."

'Pericles',

I was not trying to push cheap stuff. I only gave the mobile market costs.

You have commented about my past posts about of my heritage, it is correct thank you for same.

I being a practical man do never go for expensive stuff. Specially electronic stuff and vehicles.

Due to modern R/D ever changing technology come very fast, then the stuff I own will go obsolete.

like Drugs what doctors recommended few years ago now it is not available in the pharmacies.

Like what happened to first analog Cell phones. We had to discard all analog phones what we had.

Like carburetors Automobile technology was superseded with EFI Technology.

Good old days Ceylon never imported Japanese Chinese Indian stuff. Ceylon imported quality stuff from Western, European, USA. Manufactures only.

Japanese vehicles started coming to SL after year 1977. Still at that tine we had few old established companies importing the vehicles from the above said, which I have mentioned.

VW, Peugeot was the only two continued all, other companies closed due to lac of business.

Japan had reconditioned Vehicles at that time then government made free imports. Cost was 29000.00 rupees for a single light Mitsubishi van after duty paid. I too was in and out at that time to Japan and imported them.

Sold to retailers having an average about 10000.00 rupees profit. CC235 was my trade plate number.

Today Vehicle importers like mushrooms in SL. Every man who has extra money will try to Import a vehicle and to sell at a profit. Thanks to big time importers margins are still good.

If my memory is correct. Fist to import Japanese vehicles were Sathosa motors Isuzu trucks. Toyota Toyopet Crown was Imported by M/s, Frudenberg and company to Peoples Bank for,1st General Manager Mr. Williams then thereafter they got small version of Toyota car down. All other vehicles they had was western and europium vehicles.

You may think I have written history on this post. I have posted the facts.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'Pericles',

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I actually think you have posted a bunch of off-topic bullcrap in that post, not history. You might have time to waste, but I don't. And I prefer to spend my hard earned money on quality, rather than spend parents money on cheap junk.

Most of the Chinese phones on the market don't even last long enough to become obsolete in the first place.

'Pericles',

You have commented about my past posts about of my heritage, it is correct thank you for same.

He wasn't praising you. He was laughing at how stingy you are :D

Btw what do you intend to do with your massive wealth when you're gone? Can you give me some too? Maybe the coconut estate where you spread your love juice?

OT:

I think I too know why your windscreen washing business model was never a success. You genuinely believe that using a expensive wax gives you the right to charge Rs.15000 for polishing a windscreen. But you never bothered to provide a quality SERVICE.

'Pericles',

I being a practical man do never go for expensive stuff. Specially electronic stuff and vehicles.

Due to modern R/D ever changing technology come very fast, then the stuff I own will go obsolete.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

So your ingenious idea is "dont buy anything because it will someday become outdated"? I bet you still wear old unsexy retro style polka-dot granny panties because you never bought new cloths before they would someday go out of style huh? :D

Most of the Chinese phones on the market don't even last long enough to become obsolete in the first place.

And what some people don't know is that most of these fake phones don't even conform to radio frequency emission standards, thus prolonged use can be hazardous to health.

One cannot be "practical" while being ignorant. :)

• Like 1

'Pericles',

I was not trying to push cheap stuff. I only gave the mobile market costs.

like Drugs what doctors recommended few years ago now it is not available in the pharmacies.

Like what happened to first analog Cell phones. We had to discard all analog phones what we had.

Like carburetors Automobile technology was superseded with EFI Technology.

Good old days Ceylon never imported Japanese Chinese Indian stuff. Ceylon imported quality stuff from Western, European, USA. Manufactures only.

Japanese vehicles started coming to SL after year 1977. Still at that tine we had few old established companies importing the vehicles from the above said, which I have mentioned.

VW, Peugeot was the only two continued all, other companies closed due to lac of business.

Japan had reconditioned Vehicles at that time then government made free imports. Cost was 29000.00 rupees for a single light Mitsubishi van after duty paid. I too was in and out at that time to Japan and imported them.

Sold to retailers having an average about 10000.00 rupees profit. CC235 was my trade plate number.

Today Vehicle importers like mushrooms in SL. Every man who has extra money will try to Import a vehicle and to sell at a profit. Thanks to big time importers margins are still good.

If my memory is correct. Fist to import Japanese vehicles were Sathosa motors Isuzu trucks. Toyota Toyopet Crown was Imported by M/s, Frudenberg and company to Peoples Bank for,1st General Manager Mr. Williams then thereafter they got small version of Toyota car down. All other vehicles they had was western and europium vehicles.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

aaaaahhhhh.. koheda yanne malle pol..

oh in queens english. where are you going? coconut in the bag ^_^

• Like 1

I actually think you have posted a bunch of off-topic bullcrap in that post, not history. You might have time to waste, but I don't. And I prefer to spend my hard earned money on quality, rather than spend parents money on cheap junk.

'Pericles',

Whatever.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

one of my friend gave me a new Chinese android phone today for couple of days. Its soo horrible that I feel like hanging a big rock to the damn thing and throwing it to the sea. the touch screen doesnt work when you need it to, its a real pain to dial a number even. you have to virtually sit on the damn thing to get it working. The display and sound quality is soo useless, the camera says 5mpxl but theres not even 1mpxl quality in it. Cant understand some menus because they are in chin-glish. the vertical horizontal screen adjust thingy get stuck some times and you have to wiggle it like crazy to get it back to the original state. these jaathiyak-janmayak nathi crapy chinese phones gives android a bad name. :sad-smiley-066:

Oh, good, someone has described why you should avoid Chinese phones already, so I don't have to do it.

i dont know about others but for me i do want a good camera, i take around 100 pics a weak maybe more and its not easy carrying a dslr or even a digital camera wherever you go.

and occasionally play games use apps like sound hound, watsapp, viber and skype on the go.

I think Samsung heard your plea, the Galaxy Camera was launched a few weeks ago. Impressive bit of kit. And nothing stopping the tech from someday working onto a mainstream SLR, tho I expect companies like Sony will lead the charge there.

I think Samsung heard your plea, the Galaxy Camera was launched a few weeks ago. Impressive bit of kit. And nothing stopping the tech from someday working onto a mainstream SLR, tho I expect companies like Sony will lead the charge there.

Before Samsung another company release an Android camera, i guess it was Canon