• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Colombo Night Race 2012

Andrew_GTR

Lets put this into perspective first. The amount of individuals that hold a SLAS approved license is limited.The amount of Single Seater cars that could possibly be brought into this country is also limited. Maybe 40 at the most in the coming year, compared to the thousands upon thousands brought in for the used/reconditioned car business. The amount of money that these concessions allow on the single seaters is not a high amount. You couldn't do anything with it. A basic Formula chassis from India, used and of later years, will cost maximum two million rupees right now. With the tax deduction your talking around a million. That million into forty cars is a pinch of salt for revenue lost. Compare that with a tax deduction in any other trade and you have your numbers. The amount of revenue generated per race meet, be it colombo or outstation, will be of a much greater value when more cars are available. Its the development of a Sports Section to generate profit and create awareness for the future. This is very much like the concessions allowed upon cricket in the early 90's to promote and elevate the game. That led us to a world cup and more school boy cricketers being able to purchase equipment to better themselves. Did you also know that last years Colombo Night Race was the largest ever event in Sri Lanka covered on Television? 300,000 spectators was the number given. That is data verified and proved. You can look at this in many angles but for those that don't truly know the costs, profit or development of a sport such at motorsport its easy to become a backseat driver. The gains of allowing this sport to become a mainstay outweigh the consequences in my opinion. Yes you can argue that other trades and projects should also have been a part of tax deductions etc etc but you cannot deny that for anything to develop in this country there has to be a start. For motorsport, we now have a chance. Without being critical about everything this country has or is striving to be, why can't a concession such as this be given to a small fraternity? I don't see a problem or issue. Its people that want to make a fuss about everything that highlighted this issue and have written/said all over their status's without truly knowing a thing.

Directly from the treasury website for the 2013 budget. Article 29.1 "I also propose to exempt go-carts and specially designed racing vehicles from the applicability of the Special Excise Provision Act to facilitate the availability of such instrument for such sports events."

If that be the case, how does it hurt for private entities to bring cars that are meant for the sole use of racing to Sr

i Lanka under a tax reduction? It would certainly help develop a sport in a country that used to have a rich heritage in the said sport. Look at India, Malaysia and even the Philippines... they have as bad if not worse problems in healthcare, transport and housing. Yet, they can boast International race circuits that hold many meets on a monthly basis. Do you see everyone shouting and screaming? Cars brought into those countries have a similar tax deduction plan for racing. You got to start somewhere to get anywhere. Criticizing all the time isn't the way to go forward.. must be a Lankan trait hence we go backward...

wasn't critizing bro... i thought the cost was much more.. point taken...

Good thing they are ending this by 1.30, cus last time after midnyt it was a disaster. didnt hve food to eat or place to buy, people were stuck n couldn't get out due to races.

As a rule, bring your own refreshments to outdoor events. My biggest problem last year was finding a loo, luckily I had a ticket for the music festival and they had porta-potties.

hope this time they will organize this with some lessons learnt from the last.. specially the time management... it was a utter floap in that aspect, I left around 3am where still more events left to finished.

And many found seatless even they had tickets...also as memebers stated the parkings not properly arranged and lack of food/beverage outlets....

Not to be treated this as a complaint but if the country wants to proove a point has to be done it in a quality way.

Good luck for the organizers this time..cheers

Lets put this into perspective first. The amount of individuals that hold a SLAS approved license is limited.The amount of Single Seater cars that could possibly be brought into this country is also limited. Maybe 40 at the most in the coming year, compared to the thousands upon thousands brought in for the used/reconditioned car business. The amount of money that these concessions allow on the single seaters is not a high amount. You couldn't do anything with it. A basic Formula chassis from India, used and of later years, will cost maximum two million rupees right now. With the tax deduction your talking around a million. That million into forty cars is a pinch of salt for revenue lost. Compare that with a tax deduction in any other trade and you have your numbers. The amount of revenue generated per race meet, be it colombo or outstation, will be of a much greater value when more cars are available. Its the development of a Sports Section to generate profit and create awareness for the future. This is very much like the concessions allowed upon cricket in the early 90's to promote and elevate the game. That led us to a world cup and more school boy cricketers being able to purchase equipment to better themselves. Did you also know that last years Colombo Night Race was the largest ever event in Sri Lanka covered on Television? 300,000 spectators was the number given. That is data verified and proved. You can look at this in many angles but for those that don't truly know the costs, profit or development of a sport such at motorsport its easy to become a backseat driver. The gains of allowing this sport to become a mainstay outweigh the consequences in my opinion. Yes you can argue that other trades and projects should also have been a part of tax deductions etc etc but you cannot deny that for anything to develop in this country there has to be a start. For motorsport, we now have a chance. Without being critical about everything this country has or is striving to be, why can't a concession such as this be given to a small fraternity? I don't see a problem or issue. Its people that want to make a fuss about everything that highlighted this issue and have written/said all over their status's without truly knowing a thing.

Directly from the treasury website for the 2013 budget. Article 29.1 "I also propose to exempt go-carts and specially designed racing vehicles from the applicability of the Special Excise Provision Act to facilitate the availability of such instrument for such sports events."

If that be the case, how does it hurt for private entities to bring cars that are meant for the sole use of racing to Sr

i Lanka under a tax reduction? It would certainly help develop a sport in a country that used to have a rich heritage in the said sport. Look at India, Malaysia and even the Philippines... they have as bad if not worse problems in healthcare, transport and housing. Yet, they can boast International race circuits that hold many meets on a monthly basis. Do you see everyone shouting and screaming? Cars brought into those countries have a similar tax deduction plan for racing. You got to start somewhere to get anywhere. Criticizing all the time isn't the way to go forward.. must be a Lankan trait hence we go backward...

If you are in motorsports it's all well and good. However we live in a country where we cannot afford to take haphazard and ad hoc policy decisions. What about all the other sports that could be developed? Soccer, Athletics after our humiliating performance at the last Olympics??? I can think of many more lucrative sports to develop that will benefit the country a lot more.

Malaysia is a much much richer country than SL. India's upper income class could probably buy Sri Lanka. Philippines is not a country anyone should follow. Corruption is and historically has been at levels that shame even Sri Lanka. Why should we follow them? They maybe having regular race events but a large amount of their population lives in abject poverty. Hence every Filipino's dream is to leave the country. If we want to follow any of these countries we need to look at how they developed their manufacturing industries first not how they started motor racing.

The problem with many is not about giving racing a boost. I too am in favour of such things that develop ANY sport. But rather the problem is how this sport is singled out. It will always remain a sport that is not reachable to most Sri Lankans, because by it's nature motorsport is expensive. The problem is everyone knows how and why this "policy" has come about. That's why there are so many eyebrows raised and so much criticism.

It's something like the surgeon looking at the patient's massive wounds and deciding to ignore them and instead focus on a tiny pimple on her face just because the surgeon (or his son? ;)) like to see a nice face. To heck with the wounds. OT here I guess.

• Like 3

If you are in motorsports it's all well and good. However we live in a country where we cannot afford to take haphazard and ad hoc policy decisions. What about all the other sports that could be developed? Soccer, Athletics after our humiliating performance at the last Olympics??? I can think of many more lucrative sports to develop that will benefit the country a lot more.

Malaysia is a much much richer country than SL. India's upper income class could probably buy Sri Lanka. Philippines is not a country anyone should follow. Corruption is and historically has been at levels that shame even Sri Lanka. Why should we follow them? They maybe having regular race events but a large amount of their population lives in abject poverty. Hence every Filipino's dream is to leave the country. If we want to follow any of these countries we need to look at how they developed their manufacturing industries first not how they started motor racing.

The problem with many is not about giving racing a boost. I too am in favour of such things that develop ANY sport. But rather the problem is how this sport is singled out. It will always remain a sport that is not reachable to most Sri Lankans, because by it's nature motorsport is expensive. The problem is everyone knows how and why this "policy" has come about. That's why there are so many eyebrows raised and so much criticism.

It's something like the surgeon looking at the patient's massive wounds and deciding to ignore them and instead focus on a tiny pimple on her face just because the surgeon (or his son? ;)) like to see a nice face. To heck with the wounds. OT here I guess.

I am not a supporter of the ruling party at all so dont call me biased. But as a racing driver if this scheme actually works to benifit us in a proper way im all in favour of it. IF this is a legit move to help develop the sport i dont see any reason why people should criticize it. We dump millions of money on our cars and at the end of the day we dont get anything unlike any of the other sports. if you take cricket they get paid a salary. if u take rugby they get paid by the clubs. every sport has its perks. But in motorsports at the end of the day all we get is a trophy. Nothing else. some might argue asking why we waste money? well answer to that is almost all racing drivers & riders in sri lanka do it for their personal pleasure. Coming back to the point of reduction of taxes it states in the budget "I also propose to exempt go-carts and specially designed racing vehicles from the applicability of the Special Excise Provision Act to facilitate the availability of such instrument for such sports events"

If the taxes were removed to bring down all these exotic cars like people seem to claim i dont think they needed to do that & take this much of heat. If they want to bring down something i doubt they would waste their time putting it on the budget & trying to reduce taxes

• Like 1

I am not a supporter of the ruling party at all so dont call me biased. But as a racing driver if this scheme actually works to benifit us in a proper way im all in favour of it. IF this is a legit move to help develop the sport i dont see any reason why people should criticize it. We dump millions of money on our cars and at the end of the day we dont get anything unlike any of the other sports. if you take cricket they get paid a salary. if u take rugby they get paid by the clubs. every sport has its perks. But in motorsports at the end of the day all we get is a trophy. Nothing else. some might argue asking why we waste money? well answer to that is almost all racing drivers & riders in sri lanka do it for their personal pleasure. Coming back to the point of reduction of taxes it states in the budget "I also propose to exempt go-carts and specially designed racing vehicles from the applicability of the Special Excise Provision Act to facilitate the availability of such instrument for such sports events"

If the taxes were removed to bring down all these exotic cars like people seem to claim i dont think they needed to do that & take this much of heat. If they want to bring down something i doubt they would waste their time putting it on the budget & trying to reduce taxes

Being in Motorsport, of course you will. We all like it when something we are close to is positively impacted. And as I said in my post I support it too. It's a good thing for the sport no doubt.

But no one can justifiably say that this is one of the most important things this country needs right now and should take precedence over much bigger issues and opportunities out there. Nor can anyone say that this sport which is inaccessible to most Sri Lankans should get favourable treatment while other sports where masses of sports men and women can partake get zilch. What is worrying is the narrow angle of looking at so called "development". Cricket and Rugby are not the only sports in the country. It's a "nice to have" and not a "need to have". And there are loads of "need to haves" out there that need attention first.

• Like 4

If you are in motorsports it's all well and good. However we live in a country where we cannot afford to take haphazard and ad hoc policy decisions. What about all the other sports that could be developed? Soccer, Athletics after our humiliating performance at the last Olympics??? I can think of many more lucrative sports to develop that will benefit the country a lot more. - This country already has plenty of stadiums for athletes to use, not to mention the budget allocated at the ministry for the development of athletics and soccer. Their is a governing body in the said sport that is rich and has the monetary means to offer many athletes a chance to succeed. Do you see that in motorsports? is there a development budget? do we have drivers sent to other countries to show our talent?

Malaysia is a much much richer country than SL. India's upper income class could probably buy Sri Lanka. Philippines is not a country anyone should follow. Corruption is and historically has been at levels that shame even Sri Lanka. Why should we follow them? They maybe having regular race events but a large amount of their population lives in abject poverty. Hence every Filipino's dream is to leave the country. If we want to follow any of these countries we need to look at how they developed their manufacturing industries first not how they started motor racing. - You mistake the point i was trying to make. Regardless of riches, political stability or vice versa, these countries also started their development program in the same way. They reduced the taxable duty on all race cars, not just single seaters, that gave the sport a chance to grow within private or individual organizations. If we are able to introduce more cars, we will have more sponsors, and a chance for people who dont have the monetary means to take part in this sport with vehicles in their reach. The same way Mclarens holdings spent money on the Alto and Formula classes to allow youngsters to benefit and rise in the sport.

The problem with many is not about giving racing a boost. I too am in favour of such things that develop ANY sport. But rather the problem is how this sport is singled out. It will always remain a sport that is not reachable to most Sri Lankans, because by it's nature motorsport is expensive. The problem is everyone knows how and why this "policy" has come about. That's why there are so many eyebrows raised and so much criticism. - Read Above!

It's something like the surgeon looking at the patient's massive wounds and deciding to ignore them and instead focus on a tiny pimple on her face just because the surgeon (or his son? ;)) like to see a nice face. To heck with the wounds. OT here I guess. - Maybe by clearing the tiny pimple first, the major wounds will be dealt with as a following action. Everything needs a start my friend. That you can't deny.

if putha likes racing, just change the country's budget. Its become that simple isnt it

This reminds me of Emir of Khemed in Tintin and the Red Sea Sharks who wanted passenger planes to do the loop-the-loop to please his beloved sons fancies and ended up with a civil war. And I thought this was only possible in illiterate tent dwellers of Arabia, not sri lanka.

• Like 2

Being in Motorsport, of course you will. We all like it when something we are close to is positively impacted. And as I said in my post I support it too. It's a good thing for the sport no doubt.

But no one can justifiably say that this is one of the most important things this country needs right now and should take precedence over much bigger issues and opportunities out there. Nor can anyone say that this sport which is inaccessible to most Sri Lankans should get favourable treatment while other sports where masses of sports men and women can partake get zilch. What is worrying is the narrow angle of looking at so called "development". Cricket and Rugby are not the only sports in the country. It's a "nice to have" and not a "need to have". And there are loads of "need to haves" out there that need attention first.

No one can say that one sport is more important than the other it all depends on personal preference on what a person wants to take part or enjoys watching. How can you say that other sports haven't been developed in this country?

Motorsports is easily the most expensive sport in this country where most of the time we spend our hard earned money to take part in it. Remember the majority of the competitors might be rich but there are also talented drivers who dont have money. Rohan De Silva of Mc Larens has done alot to help young people like that to grow in this sport. He has spent his money buying cars & letting young talented drivers race in them. I dont see any fault in this scheme as long as its a legit scheme where the competitors benefit from it.

Keep in mind im not talking about politics. Im talking about sports

Edited by Chooti Putha

This country already has plenty of stadiums for athletes to use, not to mention the budget allocated at the ministry for the development of athletics and soccer. Their is a governing body in the said sport that is rich and has the monetary means to offer many athletes a chance to succeed. Do you see that in motorsports? is there a development budget? do we have drivers sent to other countries to show our talent?

Yeah and there hundreds of schools without playgrounds too. Do you think that there is enough (or that that money is utilized effectively - which is a separate issue I know)? If so then where are the results? If you consider our sports credentials from 20 years ago we have actually gone backwards. And so we must try a new sport that is in the hands of the minority elite of Colombo. Excellent logic. All really badly needed sports where the majority of the population can participate are in shambles so one must invest in an expensive elitist sport. Brilliant.

You mistake the point i was trying to make. Regardless of riches, political stability or vice versa, these countries also started their development program in the same way. They reduced the taxable duty on all race cars, not just single seaters, that gave the sport a chance to grow within private or individual organizations. If we are able to introduce more cars, we will have more sponsors, and a chance for people who dont have the monetary means to take part in this sport with vehicles in their reach. The same way Mclarens holdings spent money on the Alto and Formula classes to allow youngsters to benefit and rise in the sport.

So you are saying that Motorsport was an integral part of their development program? Geez I'm sorry I've never known this.

"If we are able to introduce more cars, we will have more sponsors, "

I'm sorry I really do not know how this model works too. More cars automatically mean more sponsors??? Perhaps you know something I don't, like many companies have been lining up to sponsor cars and demanded more cars so that they can spend more of the money they have for investment.

Maybe by clearing the tiny pimple first, the major wounds will be dealt with as a following action. Everything needs a start my friend. That you can't deny.

Maybe. But maybe the major wounds are so bad that if you waste time with the minor pimple you will have no choice but to amputate the limb eventually ;)

No offense to anyone. Like I said I like this happening for motorsport as I am a fan of the sport. It's just that I can't agree that this is the most important thing the country or sports in general needs right now.

• Like 5

No one can say that one sport is more important than the other it all depends on personal preference on what a person wants to take part or enjoys watching. How can you say that other sports haven't been developed in this country?

Motorsports is easily the most expensive sport in this country where most of the time we spend our hard earned money to take part in it. Remember the majority of the competitors might be rich but there are also talented drivers who dont have money. Rohan De Silva of Mc Larens has done alot to help young people like that to grow in this sport. He has spent his money buying cars & letting young talented drivers race in them. I dont see any fault in this scheme as long as its a legit scheme where the competitors benefit from it.

Keep in mind im not talking about politics. Im talking about sports

Chooti Putha if you take a simple island wide poll, I am willing to bet a million bucks motor racing which you and I like will be at the bottom of the list. Looking at our per capita income would you say that it's easier for an average young person to become a badminton player or a racing driver? Apart from Cricket what other sports do we have international recognition in?

Yes I know what Rohan De Silva has done. And that is great. The man has to be saluted. And as I said before I am all for it. But I cannot agree that this is the most important thing we need right now. And how people can justify it by saying other countries did this too. And glorify it as something great when it appeals and impacts a minute few of us. I am not looking at it from the narrow angle of a racing driver or a motor sport fan. I'm looking at it from a much broader perspective. Anyway this is now going way OT.

• Like 3

Chooti Putha if you take a simple island wide poll, I am willing to bet a million bucks motor racing which you and I like will be at the bottom of the list. Looking at our per capita income would you say that it's easier for an average young person to become a badminton player or a racing driver? Apart from Cricket what other sports do we have international recognition in?

Yes I know what Rohan De Silva has done. And that is great. The man has to be saluted. And as I said before I am all for it. But I cannot agree that this is the most important thing we need right now. And how people can justify it by saying other countries did this too. And glorify it as something great when it appeals and impacts a minute few of us. I am not looking at it from the narrow angle of a racing driver or a motor sport fan. I'm looking at it from a much broader perspective. Anyway this is now going way OT.

Agreed with you its not easy for someone to get into Motorsports with the high costs. I know this for a fact since i spent many years watching others compete thinking one day i will take part & after alot of hard work i have made the dream i had a reality. But i still have a long way to go.

As i said before im not justifying it politically. But personally im happy for it becoz i might have a chance to benefit from this

• Like 2

Yeah and there hundreds of schools without playgrounds too. Do you think that there is enough (or that that money is utilized effectively - which is a separate issue I know)? If so then where are the results? If you consider our sports credentials from 20 years ago we have actually gone backwards. And so we must try a new sport that is in the hands of the minority elite of Colombo. Excellent logic. All really badly needed sports where the majority of the population can participate are in shambles so one must invest in an expensive elitist sport. Brilliant.

- Hundreds of schools without playgrounds? No one is denying that. How about asking the Education ministry to look into it. This is a 3rd world country and everyone is aware of that. There is corruption, lawlessness and problems. We know that. We are not trying a new sport for for the heck of it, Sri lanka has a rich heritage in motorsport stemming from many years ago. Why cant we continue that? Your trying to save the world with the revenue loss of around forty million rupees. Thats the point i'm trying to get at! Formula LGB's from India that currently cost 2 million rupees each with be around one million.. at the maximum of say forty cars coming down, thats a concession loss of forty million rupees. Don't go on and on and on like a broken record that the tax concession means a loss to of tax revenue in the high millions if these were GT3/GT4 race cars! They are not! Why can't anyone understand that?????? These concessions are for SINGLE SEATER and open wheel race vehicles.

So you are saying that Motorsport was an integral part of their development program? Geez I'm sorry I've never known this. - Seriously? Are you asking this as a serious question?? Even without Motorsport being at the Forefront of those countries, they still allowed duty free allowances to bring down vehicles and start a base to grow from.

"If we are able to introduce more cars, we will have more sponsors, " I'm sorry I really do not know how this model works too. More cars automatically mean more sponsors??? Perhaps you know something I don't, like many companies have been lining up to sponsor cars and demanded more cars so that they can spend more of the money they have for investment.

- The introduction of more vehicles will allow for a more competitive system. You must not realise that their are plenty of companies that do support motor racing. The issue is that they feel currently, that they don't get enough publicity or brand awareness due to the lack of spectators and TV coverage. More vehicles will allow for a growth system from karting into open wheel racing such as the JK Tyre series in India. Have you seen how that model works? dont give me the india is huge and has money lecture. That same model can easily be structured to a Sri lankan cause.

Maybe. But maybe the major wounds are so bad that if you waste time with the minor pimple you will have no choice but to amputate the limb eventually ;)/>No offense to anyone. Like I said I like this happening for motorsport as I am a fan of the sport. It's just that I can't agree that this is the most important thing the country or sports in general needs right now.

Look at the end of the day, we all have our opinions. Educated or not we are entitled to think in many different ways. I was brought up in a family that had politics to the core and needless to say green in our blood. However, that does not mean that i criticize everything that this govt does or will do. I also see alot of good that has come about in the last few years and negatives as well. Im more of a positive thinker, who hopes for the better and the ultimate growth of this country. Being a car enthusiast and a Formula driver, my opinion is that the concession to allow go-karts and single seaters is the best thing that could have for this sport to grow. I only hope people dont jump on the bandwagon of 'racing cars' and not truly understand what this policy change is for.

Edited by Andrew_GTR

If the govt wants to see cricket in SL improve, they only have to give the cricketers duty free permits.. We will win the next world cup for sure :)

or thy come to the final again and choke even more or better yet they don't reach even semi finals this time what government should do is tell them look you guys are lost at 4 world cup final straight so we will give you duty free permits and some fancy gifts if you win a world cup final any ways that's just my idea of this. :)

this is in essense what i wanted to say.. and coming from you its worth more... kudos...

• Like 1

all in all.. if this pans out well.. our guys can bring down the cars they need for the events,,, which is good,., and i support it... i wanted to get into it professionally too but didnt have the disposable cash or the sponsors.. so it is good for the people trying to get into it..

however, i am with GTAM that certain other things should have gotten the same treatment too.. in terms of cricket as i played the sport i know that the only reason we have the talent we have now is becuase we put money into coaching camps and what not..

so my issue is i am sure there is brilliant talent in the country but more than the consession if you want to develop motoracing, there should be more talent scouting events as well.. otherwise this will just be amongst the same names for years to come..

Well, my view is like this.

This is not an allocation. A tax reduction would mean benefit to the importer in the sense that it is cheaper for him, but its not an aid packet.

Now, this DOES represent a loss of income to the govt. How much will depend on how expensive the cars are. But there isn't a huge market for the cars here. Lets say 50 cars? So how much would be the potential tax loss? Drop in the ocean really? Less than the days allocation of petrol for all these ministry types? OK -

Then we need to consider the outflows. Fuel needs to come in. Parts need to come in. All kinds of consumables. Net outflow of cash will definitely go up.

So really, unless some foreign company is gonna send cash in, either in forms of advertising, sponsorship of racers, sponsorship of events, prize money, its not gonna benefit any portion of the economy. Now, that can happen, we know companies like R*D B*LL already put in quite a lot of investment in that way to the scene. We know Power Horn has its racing team. Can this grow? Enough to make this kind of concession worth it?

All I know is, I don't have an answer with hard facts to back it, so its kinda hard to form an informed opinion on it. In the short term at least, it will probably represent more outflow than in, but if that can change.... well, I don't know.

I hope that some of these teams DO offer some better packages for the photographers here. I've heard from chaps that say the compensation wouldn't even cover travelling and accommodation at most places, much less other costs associated with photography! That would be a start in contributing to the damn local economy!

Thanks for posting this machang... when i told people that the duty concession was for single seaters and go karts only, no one believed me. Atleast now there is a statement from SLAS about it. Cheers!

Problem is our people dont believe the truth. they believe what they want to

• 3 weeks later...