• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Transferring And Registration Procedure

zareekz

This is the reason this country is going nowhere..... I know its convinent but if we encourage this the RMV will go back to what it was a couple of years back, where you needed to pay to get anything done. They are trying to improve a lot of things like the same day service, issuing of numbers so its more orderly than before..

Anyway this " no objection " letter is stupid, as the previous owner has already signed the trf papers and has also given away the registration document. And even if someone want to transfer on open papers they just need to write a letter leaving the transferee's name blank.

So if one were to summarize the documents you need to take to the RMV it would be as follows right ? .

1) Orignial registration book/sheet.

2) Copy of the new owners ID

3) Copy of the old owners ID

4) 2 photograhs of the new owner

5) Revenue Licence ( photo copy + oringial)

6) MTA 6 - ( Although the instructions talk of a complicated distribution of this, the guys at the counter only need one MTA6 )

7) " No objections" letter from the old owner.

8) Release letter from leasing company/bank if there is a absolute owner mentioned in the book.

And items 2,3,4 & 7 need to be sined and stamped by a JP ?

Hope this will be comprehensive for anyone trying to do this, please point out anything which I may have missed out or anything which happens differently

What about MTA8? I thought we need that too?

Ah one more thing - if you want the same day service the Transferee should present his/herself at the counter.

Reading the post I got the impression that the JP should be from the Transferor's area. What exactly are they trying to prevent or achieve by doing this? Usually the JP's recommendation is that to his knowledge the documents he is endorsing are genuine and the persons represented in them are known to him. What if the seller is in Jaffna and buyer is from Colombo? Then you have island-wide JPs and area-vice JPs. Oh Gosh! This is getting too complicated for my bird brain!!!!

Yeah, it is true that the "NEED to have a No OBJECTION letter regardless of the signed papers" since 10th Dec 2012.

But it just today morning I handed over my open papers without any letter to an "agent" with extra Rs 2500/=. and all happen without any problems!

I agree with Carbon B4 on this. If you had all the paperwork and stuff why bother to go through ieelgal channels?

I retract my question if the vehicle you were trying to transfer wasn't legally yours or something like that..

Reminds me of H2G2's

It will be useful if this prevents people using vehicles on open papers.

What about MTA8? I thought we need that too?

Ah one more thing - if you want the same day service the Transferee should present his/herself at the counter.

Reading the post I got the impression that the JP should be from the Transferor's area. What exactly are they trying to prevent or achieve by doing this? Usually the JP's recommendation is that to his knowledge the documents he is endorsing are genuine and the persons represented in them are known to him. What if the seller is in Jaffna and buyer is from Colombo? Then you have island-wide JPs and area-vice JPs. Oh Gosh! This is getting too complicated for my bird brain!!!!

@ CARBON B4,

In my case the original owner is far away and I got the vehicle as "open papers" so finding him and getting a letter is time consuming and I do not wanna waste my time for these kind of stupid things.

Well, laws arent made to be "convinient" to everyone..

And besides, if the vehicle is on open papers it means the original owner has released his ownership onto a form with no owner being specified. So if it really is "open papers" you just put in your name and info and submit it.

I'm not sure if you're doing it (or not), but stories like "owner is away" can be a good excuse for anyone to "transfer" a stolen vehicle I think.

Well, laws arent made to be "convinient" to everyone..

And besides, if the vehicle is on open papers it means the original owner has released his ownership onto a form with no owner being specified. So if it really is "open papers" you just put in your name and info and submit it.

I'm not sure if you're doing it (or not), but stories like "owner is away" can be a good excuse for anyone to "transfer" a stolen vehicle I think.

No laws are made specifically to be a hindrance so palms will be greased to make things happen.

You know the idiots at the Dept for Registration of Persons wanted to see a degree cert from Uni to put my job title on the NIC, when I had already supplied a letter from the company stating what the title was? I was bloody speechless! I mean WTF! People can get promoted to titles by showing aptitude without having paper qualifications, and its the company that decides what the title is, not the degree! They can call buggers like Dilku a Waste Management Executive, and he wouldn't have a certificate for it, since all he does is clean the toilets, and thats entirely for the company to decide!

So NIC has no entry for job. The next time some jobless cop asks, I'll just have make something up to tell him. Maybe like I free-load from rich parents or summin.

Edit : Disclaimer. My own theories, my own opinions. Feel free to have your own.

Edited by Pericles

No laws are made specifically to be a hindrance so palms will be greased to make things happen.

You know the idiots at the Dept for Registration of Persons wanted to see a degree cert from Uni to put my job title on the NIC, when I had already supplied a letter from the company stating what the title was? I was bloody speechless! I mean WTF! People can get promoted to titles by showing aptitude without having paper qualifications, and its the company that decides what the title is, not the degree! They can call buggers like Dilku a Waste Management Executive, and he wouldn't have a certificate for it, since all he does is clean the toilets, and thats entirely for the company to decide!

So NIC has no entry for job. The next time some jobless cop asks, I'll just have make something up to tell him. Maybe like I free-load from rich parents or summin.

Edit : Disclaimer. My own theories, my own opinions. Feel free to have your own.

I too had a similar experience. My first job with a then govt dept was as a "Technical Assistant" (TA) which was an executive grade job. But when I applied for my ID stating the job as "Karmika Sahakara" in Sinhala I received the ID stating "Sahakara Karmika" which can only be translated as either "Assistant mechanic" or asst technician" - both being jobs way below the status of a TA. Such idiots they were. Now of course I have my ID without the job stated. If they want a paper qualification to ascertain the title I wonder what would they do with top business tycoons such as N*waloka Mudalali and even Bill Gates for that matter?

Mine says i'm a student :)

But does it really matter what it says on your ID? After all, you dont apply to a job based on that, nor do you use what's on your ID when advertising/searching for marriage proposals :D

Hence why I said leave it blank (doesn't matter) rather than having to go home and bring my degree cert. Mine said student too, this is on renewal.

Passport had the title anyway.

Hi,

I also went to RMV last week for a vehicle transfer & i could not take a certified photo. so I took a photo from a place in front of RMV & a JP from there certified it,but when i went for the transfer they told that it should be certified by a JP from the area I live (maharagama). this rule was not there before.

Members,

My Identity card states that I am in business this was a disadvantage for me because I had few problems with few Government departments

Specially in Inland Revenue, to get tings done for my personal file. It is a partnership. I always go alone never go with some one to speak for me.

Once a Deputy Commissioner look into my back side of ID and he says you are a in business,so you can effort to pay the Tax. What Business you do?

I always give my Driving License at the entrance. Because ID is a personal thing that one should carry always. According to my knowledge no man person can take a persons National ID and give a receipt for the said person. Once I went to Colombo Police station to bail out a friend of mine, after the person in the cell had informed the police to contact me and to inform me to come to bail him out. The police station officer after taking down my statement and inform me I have to hand over the National ID to police station to bail out this person.

I refused for his request THE MATTER WAS TAKEN UP BY THE OIC OF THE STATION. He too agreed the ID is a personal thing of a person, only if a person get remanded the ID is taken at the Remand Prison and advised the Officer to take a Photo copy of the ID of mine and bail out the person.

OIC will certify that he has seem me personally.

Even the Passport once it is stamped to board a Aircraft. Boarding Pass is issued that carries various IATA regulations the air lines are governed for safety of the passenger. Only person can request to have a look is the Pilot of the Aircraft once you sit on the seat specified to you. Not on any way until you enter the aircraft. Because after all checking is done early when then passenger is allowed to get his boarding pass. From the time you get your boarding pass the air line responsibility starts.

The IATA laws may be different now I have not Traveled for some time. 10 Years or so due to my old age.

I know that I have posted out of the topic. Because I have been given warnings several times by the authorities of this forum.

As a matter of ID came up on this thread. I wanted to share the experience what I have had in the past.

It is like add as long as SL HITLER & FAMILY governs this country the laws will be changed according to their whims and fancy for their benefit.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Members,

As a matter of ID came up on this thread. I wanted to share the experience what I have had in the past.

It is like add as long as SL HITLER & FAMILY governs this country the laws will be changed according to their whims and fancy for their benefit.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Well said Sylvi but what's the alternative?. However, thank you for sharing your past experiences.

As for the RMV inconveniencing the public with ever changing rules, I too agree with the experiences of members. It is even funny that they have a Website (http://www.motortraffic.gov.lk) but if you try to search under the tab Vehicles and Registration of Ownership Transfer, you will find instructions to do all other things other than the captioned subject. I request you all to visit this site and comment on it. It is even funny when you go through the same topic in Sinhala (I wish if someone can do the same in Tamil too). The contents for the same tab in the two languages are totally different. The site has not been updated since 2011. That is the e-governance in SL!

Edited by Rumesh88

This is the reason this country is going nowhere..... I know its convinent but if we encourage this the RMV will go back to what it was a couple of years back, where you needed to pay to get anything done. They are trying to improve a lot of things like the same day service, issuing of numbers so its more orderly than before..

Anyway this " no objection " letter is stupid, as the previous owner has already signed the trf papers and has also given away the registration document. And even if someone want to transfer on open papers they just need to write a letter leaving the transferee's name blank.

So if one were to summarize the documents you need to take to the RMV it would be as follows right ? .

1) Orignial registration book/sheet.

2) Copy of the new owners ID

3) Copy of the old owners ID

4) 2 photograhs of the new owner

5) Revenue Licence ( photo copy + oringial)

6) MTA 6 - ( Although the instructions talk of a complicated distribution of this, the guys at the counter only need one MTA6 )

7) " No objections" letter from the old owner.

8) Release letter from leasing company/bank if there is a absolute owner mentioned in the book.

And items 2,3,4 & 7 need to be sined and stamped by a JP ?

Hope this will be comprehensive for anyone trying to do this, please point out anything which I may have missed out or anything which happens differently

Heard from Someone inside RMV that the new rules are only for the one day service.. Is that true?

BTW all these are good news for ppl working at RMV.. these will open paths for new incomes...

I know that I have posted out of the topic. Because I have been given warnings several times by the authorities of this forum.

Bloody hypocritical to complain about people changing laws for their whims and benefits when you keep breaking the rules (OT posting) when you KNOW the rules (after being warned) but still continue doing it on your whims. :rolleyes:

Not really setting a good example here.

Bloody hypocritical to complain about people changing laws for their whims and benefits when you keep breaking the rules (OT posting) when you KNOW the rules (after being warned) but still continue doing it on your whims. :rolleyes:

Not really setting a good example here.

Yes Moderator I did write that post.

I am not a hypocritical writer. I always write with a open mind.With facts. Nothing to hide.

I wrote what I know about a ID. Simple thing most people do not Know.

Even Banks request ID to cash a Cheque it is a practice not a law. I do not know that practice in recently changed to a law.

Due to so many frauds in Banks. Ist class countries never request a ID to cash a Cheque.

Only few countries I had to produce my Passport to cash money once inside the country. Given to me as payments.

Air ports your Pass port, it is must to cash. Travelers Cheques. I first traveled by ship there were no flights to west.

I do not want to start an argument on this matter with you.

You rote first on this thread, about which was not relevant to topic.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I am not a hypocritical writer. I always write with a open mind.With facts. Nothing to hide.

Even Banks request ID to cash a Cheque it is a practice not a law. I do not know that practice in recently changed to a law.

Due to so many frauds in Banks. Ist class countries never request a ID to cash a Cheque.

Only few countries I had to produce my Passport to cash money once inside the country. Given to me as payments.

Air ports your Pass port, it is must to cash. Travelers Cheques. I first traveled by ship there were no flights to west.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Instead of wasting time writing out garbage, how about reading what I wrote a few times and trying to understand that?

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi, What have I told you about Rambling on and on and posting Nonsense? How many times do we have to tell you?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have a question regarding the rule that after transferring a vehicle you have to register with 14 days and if you failed to do so you will be fined 100 rupees per day. This fine has a limit right.? As per Motor Traffic (Amendment) Act, No. 8 of 2009 Section 11;(which is latest i guess)

(3)

a: A registered owner who fails to inform the Commissioner-General of the change of possession within fourteen days shall be guilty of an offence and shall on conviction be liable to a fine not less than three thousand rupees and not exceeding six thousand rupees.

b: The new owner of a motor vehicle who fails to apply within fourteen days after change of possession to be registered as the new owner shall be guilty of an offence and shall on conviction be liable to a fine not less than one hundred rupees for each day after the fourteenth day up to the forty fourth day of such failure.

c: The new owner of a motor vehicle who fails to apply within forty four days after change of possession to be registered as the new owner shall be guilty of an offence and shall on conviction be liable to a fine not less than five thousand rupees and not exceeding ten thousand rupees.

If a new owner doesn't transfer the vehicle within 2 years, his maximum fine will be Rs. 10,000 right?

Edited by mello555

• 2 weeks later...