• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Transferring And Registration Procedure

zareekz

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone give me a rough idea on buying a car on open papers(it is on open papers and I'd like to have it registered to my name if I buy the car).

The vehicle in question is 300-xxxx

This http://www.gic.gov.lk/gic/index.php?option=com_info&id=413&task=info〈=en is the best I could find regarding vehicle transfers.

if it's a one day service, you will need letters from the 'current registered owner' stating that he sold the vehicle to you and needs to be certified by a Government official in the are of the registered owner. For a normal transfer, that's not a issue.

GET IT TRANSFERRED, SAFER

Just to give you an idea of how long it takes to get your book when you do a normal transfer, I submitted transfer papers (See Post #4 on this thread, that's me) on 30th November 2012 and did not get the book so far. I could not avail the one-day service for I was not the transferee. Since the revenue license is due to expire soon I went to RMV and asked if there was an undue delay. After going to couple of counters I was told that I should have got the book by now but to wait for couple more days and as for getting the revenue license renewed without the book, I was told to submit Form 11 and get it endorsed by them. BTW counters at RMV today were unusually empty and the RMV staff were enjoying their time having pocket meetings among them. Lucky for me they had all the time in the world to listen to my predicament. Is this because the number of new registrations have come down drastically. What would happen to the projected tax collection? Seems to be another case of Goose Who Laid Golden Eggs episode.

Edited by Rumesh88

Ist class countries never request a ID to cash a Cheque.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Apologies moderators for OT, but Mr. Sylvi, assuming you mean 1st class countries, can you pl enlighten the rest of us on what those countries are and furthermore, as you've implied that Sri Lanka is not one of them, what class you rate Sri Lanka at?

Apologies moderators for OT, but Mr. Sylvi, assuming you mean 1st class countries, can you pl enlighten the rest of us on what those countries are and furthermore, as you've implied that Sri Lanka is not one of them, what class you rate Sri Lanka at?

Stop dragging an old OT post.

• 1 month later...

I got transferred my vehicle nearly one month ago (through 1 day service). With the change of the province (western to central), i had to pay for a new number plate also. Guys.. will DMT inform me when the number plate is ready to be collected or will they send it to Kandy district secretariat without informing me. Bit, confused....

I got transferred my vehicle nearly one month ago (through 1 day service). With the change of the province (western to central), i had to pay for a new number plate also. Guys.. will DMT inform me when the number plate is ready to be collected or will they send it to Kandy district secretariat without informing me. Bit, confused....

No you have to go and check after i think 7 days. Better give them 10 days atleast. You also need to take your ID and the vehicle Book.

Just to make a correction to my post #9 on this thread, as told by RMV I did not receive my registration book in 6-8 weeks after submitting the papers on 29th November 2012. So after three months of waiting I went to RMV today to inquire. They told me the book had been put on registered post on the 2nd of this month. So if you go through the normal channel in the "normal stupid" manner (ie. no greasing of palms, friends in RMV etc) it will take around three months as per my personal experience.

BTW when inquired from the post office which is almost next door, they said it is normal for RMV take this long and they've had lot of people inquiring from time to time.

Edited by Rumesh88

I recently registered a car wich was brought under a permit. Managed to register, transfer and get the book the same day... had to pay 15K to the guy who did it... so in my book the first registration date and the trasfer date are the same.... also manage to avoid paying for two sets of number plates cuz the permit was not WP. The guy managed to get the WP plate in one go.

BTW is it true that the RMV doesnt issue a vehicle identity card like before (The long strip of paper with all the details)

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, need views on below. I am trying to call RMV also to get their side of it.

I sold my bike about year ago. Since I didn't know the buyer very well, I kept sellers copy of MT6 form with me. I asked him to get the transfer done ASAP.

Now he called me to say MT6 forms are misplaced so he couldn't get transfer done.

I am not going to sign new MT6 with current dates as I will hold responsible for any thing happened upto now.

I have doubts that now he has to pay huge fine because he didn't transfer it on time. And now try to get new MT6 or my of MT6 copy so that he can completely do it again with new dates.

What is the procedure if MT6 form misplaced by new buyer?

Edited by MkX

Guys, need views on below. I am trying to call RMV also to get their side of it.

I sold my bike about year ago. Since I didn't know the buyer very well, I kept sellers copy of MT6 form with me. I asked him to get the transfer done ASAP.

Now he called me to say MT6 forms are misplaced so he couldn't get transfer done.

I am not going to sign new MT6 with current dates as I will hold responsible for any thing happened upto now.

I have doubts that now he has to pay huge fine because he didn't transfer it on time. And now try to get new MT6 or my of MT6 copy so that he can completely do it again with new dates.

What is the procedure if MT6 form misplaced by new buyer?

Well, if you dont know the guy who bought it, yes, protect yourself first.

If he wants a new form filled out sure, do it, but mention the original date of the sale. You never know what mischief he's been upto on your (ex)bike.

• Like 1

If it was dated prior to September 2011, then there's no fine even for a delayed transfer.

If it was sold after September 2011, then there's a fine of 100 per day up to a MAXIMUM limit of Rs. 10000.

Even if you sign with the old date (after September 2011), maximum fine will be 10000.

(Please verify the above by calling 1919)

If it was dated prior to September 2011, then there's no fine even for a delayed transfer.

If it was sold after September 2011, then there's a fine of 100 per day up to a MAXIMUM limit of Rs. 10000.

Even if you sign with the old date (after September 2011), maximum fine will be 10000.

(Please verify the above by calling 1919)

I called RMV they didn't said exact amount. but Rs.100 per day is what they said. It was in 2012 April/May period. Anyhow I said the guy that I can sign another MT6 but I'll have to state the original date.. Obviously he is not happy about that.

• 1 month later...

I obviously need to call RMV/DMT to get the proper clarification, but do you guys know whether it's possible to hv multiple current owners for a vehicle? My dad has come across this car he's checking out and apart from the absolute ownership to the leasing company, the car has two current/previous owners (transferred on the same date as the lease transfer) - if it is a transfer from one to the other and then leased, obviously the dates should differ, right?

The 'owner' apparently has said that both his son (who's not in country) and himself owns the car - is it possible, and surely then one owner cannot sell the car, right?

Edited: Invalid question :D

Edited by vishkid

I obviously need to call RMV/DMT to get the proper clarification, but do you guys know whether it's possible to hv multiple current owners for a vehicle? My dad has come across this car he's checking out and apart from the absolute ownership to the leasing company, the car has two current/previous owners (transferred on the same date as the lease transfer) - if it is a transfer from one to the other and then leased, obviously the dates should differ, right?

The 'owner' apparently has said that both his son (who's not in country) and himself owns the car - is it possible, and surely then one owner cannot sell the car, right?

vishkid,

Yes to your answer.(cannot sell the car)

If the registration book has all names then all signatures are necessary

If one owner has the power of attorney, then can do any transaction on immovable or movable property.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

machan, just to clarify, how many names are there in the 'current owner ' field of the CR? is it one or two?

there can be more than two transfers on the same date if a car was mortgaged. some finance companies do a triple transfer in that case so there can be 3 transfers on the same date. u can ignore that. what matters is what is in the current owner field of the CR.

machan, just to clarify, how many names are there in the 'current owner ' field of the CR? is it one or two?

there can be more than two transfers on the same date if a car was mortgaged. some finance companies do a triple transfer in that case so there can be 3 transfers on the same date. u can ignore that. what matters is what is in the current owner field of the CR.

Yes bro - this was mostly a miscommunication from my father and a blunder made by either DMT or the owners. In the process of noting the absolute owner they hv done 4 transfers (!) in the same day, probably to correct for a mistake - probably some hanky panky involved. There's only one current owner as you noted. My DMT contact said that there cannot be multiple owners for vehicle unless a registered entity; a partnership, trust or company.

Thanks for the input.

vishkid,

Yes to your answer.(cannot sell the car)

If the registration book has all names then all signatures are necessary

If one owner has the power of attorney, then can do any transaction on immovable or movable property.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Noted Sylvi, thanks.

• 8 months later...

Lianawanted,

What you have posted is already transferred vehicle question. Did you sign a set of papers

Dear Members,

I sold my car in last month and the buyer who brought the vehicle had Transferred it to his name. But still I couldn't send the Form A of M.T.A.6 to the Commissioner of Motor Traffic. Is it a problem, Can I send it now..

Please help me.

Lianawanted,

Did you sign the above paper what you have mentioned in your post, when you sold the vehicle?

You gave the vehicle without getting a letter from the person whom you sold the vehicle.

RMV send a letter to the last registered owner, if any one submit a transfer papers, to them.

Requesting from the last registered owner if there are any objections.

Above was the past whenever I sold my vehicles. I had received the letterers from the RMV.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Lianawanted,

What you have posted is already transferred vehicle question. Did you sign a set of papers

Lianawanted,

Did you sign the above paper what you have mentioned in your post, when you sold the vehicle?

You gave the vehicle without getting a letter from the person whom you sold the vehicle.

RMV send a letter to the last registered owner, if any one submit a transfer papers, to them.

Requesting from the last registered owner if there are any objections.

Above was the past whenever I sold my vehicles. I had received the letterers from the RMV.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear Sir,

I have signed all the documents and keep M.T.A.6 with me to hand over RMV by myself. But still didn't receive any letter from them.

thnk you

Dear Sir,

I have signed all the documents and keep M.T.A.6 with me to hand over RMV by myself. But still didn't receive any letter from them.

thnk you

Lianawanted,

You are 100% positive that he had transferred your vehicle to his name?

Sylvi Wijesinghe.