• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ek3 Or Lancer Cs1

udana_k

Question

hi friend, i'm just thinking of buying either civic ek3 or lancer cs1 ( which fits with my budget well too). could you guys give an advice on this while comparing the both as you feel good.

does it make senseif i look for an ek3 with auto transmition.?

fuel consumption, maintenance, budget (mine is 1.6 to 1.7) are major concerns......

thanks in advance

hi friend, i'm just thinking of buying either civic ek3 or lancer cs1 ( which fits with my budget well too). could you guys give an advice on this while comparing the both as you feel good.

does it make senseif i look for an ek3 with auto transmition.?

fuel consumption, maintenance, budget (mine is 1.6 to 1.7) are major concerns......

if you are going for a civic ek3 go for a vtec motor one vtec one have more power and do more kmpl than non one and when comparing CS1 and EK3 even non vtec one EK3 have more power and acceleration than lancer. CS1 have a 1.3L engine vs civic EK3 1.5L engine maintenance wise you don't need to worry about them both of them are good reliable cars as Schiffer said if you are going for a CS1 better go for manual one good luck dude.

• Like 2

I use a cs1 2006 manual and what the others have said is true about the 1.3 engine, its a bit under powered but thats no huge issue, the acceleration is adequate as it is for a daily runner. Reliability wise have had no issues up to now and a proper mech can sort you out without pulling ur teeth out. No exp with hondas for me but i can recommend a cs1 any day. Davy and Trinity in this forum are lancer users and they surely will tell you more.

• Like 1

Hi,,

I can only comment on Lancer since i have never owned or driven an EK3...

Mine is a 2001 brand new imported car which has a 1.3 carb engine.. yes, its having a carburetor. :) car is very spacious and comfortable when compared to the others in its segment.. Its handles pretty well too. what people say about the pulling power is true.. its bit under powered, but if you are not in to drag racing, i dont think it would cause you much trouble when used as a daily runner..

Most of the CS1 i've seen are manual, so the pulling power thingy wont give much trouble when overtaking and etc etc,,, 2001 CS1 does not have Air Bags, power shutters and ABS. These are the minus points of the car as far as i can tell..

I've owned my car over 3 years and driven over 50 thousand Kms. Driven it to almost every corner of the country.. Jaffna, Bati, Kataragama, Nuwara Eliya, Kady, Riverston and what not.. Some of those were over thousand Kms and have never faced any issue.. Car has good ground clearance. i've driven it in very bad roads with a car full of baggage & people, never hit the undercarriage on the ground..

Fuel consumption depends on your right foot machan.. outstation it easily does 14kmpl and in city heavy traffic, its 10 kmpl.. (With A/C and four people on board). No issue with the spare parts and maintenance. Maybe its not like finding parts for a Toyota but its not difficult at all..

If you could expand your budget a bit, the best bet is Lancer SC3. It has 1.6 EFI engine (With lot of Power) and comes with Dual Air Bags ABS and power shutters. I'm sure Davy will explain more about the CS3 as he owns a one..

Also please do a forum search and you could find lots of info regarding both cars..

Cheers!!

Edited by trinity
  • Like 5

The brand new Lancer CS series imported to Sri Lanka came under two grades: GL and GLX. GLX is the full option version. Both these grades came with 1.3 (CS1) and 1.6 (CS3) engines. While most brand new pre facelift CS1s in Sri Lanka are “GL”s, you might be able to find a full option (GLX) CS1 as well if you look around a little bit. But I doubt they will fit into your budget constraints though

Like bogzy and trinity have already mentioned, availability of spares is not a problem. Although my CS3 hasn’t been to all the corners of Sri Lanka (at least after I bought it) like trinity’s CS1, I’m totally with him on the fact that the CS is very reliable, based the 4 years ownership.

You'll get a better understanding of the different grades if you go through the links below.

Specifications here | Options here and here | Full brochure here. (Credits to Sampath Gunasekara)

And sorry, I too have no experience with an EK3, so I am unable to comment on it.

Good Luck!

• Like 2

I have used a EK3 for about 4 years. It gave me only a over heating issue due to a faulty thermostat valve and the sensor other than that it was perfect in all respects. My one was a brand new exi version and no air bags and no ABS but you may find vti recon versions with all the options for your budget limits i hope. I don't no about CS1 but EK3 is love to drive, handling, comfort and cornering is much better than the later version of civic (ES series).

No complains about the pulling power of EXI but may be better on Vi model. Fuel consumption was 9-10 km/Lt in Colombo daily running in the morning(Less traffic) and afternoon(more traffic). Out station 12-13 Km/Lt (Colombo-Kandy). Some says it should do more in out stations but depends on your drving style.

When i sold my one in 2004, It had done 200000 km + and efi engine was perfect.(I did reguler service with out fail)

• Like 1

very important facts dude.. i read the post u guys had sent me through and made me so impressed towards CS. so i'm slightly moved if i should think about a CS2 now :). i now have Elantra 2000 YOM and a march k10 .. so afetr selling these i hope i wthe tip was given in would be able to get some amount for a CS2 i suppose. i noted that it was advised to avoid the GDI engine in one thread. hope you guys agree with that?

Hi udana_k...

i'm not an expert to comment about engine types... Lancer CS models with GDI engine are JDM models.. They have more options than Brand new imports.. but they are used in Japan and then in Sri Lanka etc etc,, one of my friends have a Pajero io with a GDI engine, most of the time he pumps 90 octain and so far he is running it without any issue.. its a 2L engine and does about 7-8 in city... And that's a very powerful engine..

Since the Cedia (JDM Lancer with GDI engine) is having a 1.5L i believe power to weight ratio suits the car well and will give you more power and fuel economy at the same time.. again i'm not an expert to comment about the engine types. so i dont wanna mislead you by commenting on stuff that i dont know.. i believe members "jdnet and watchman" could give you more info regarding this..also Shintarox has mentioned that he owned a lancer with GDI engine...

• Like 1

If you can stretch your budget for a CS2,

and if i was in your situation of choosing between a EK3 and a CS2 i would go for a CS2

power wise the CS2 is more balanced and even a Auto gives u 10+ on fuel (please don't expect more than 12)

i don't know about others, but i have found the CS2 is a bit more comfortable and quieter compared to a EK3 (but mind you the I've driven is a 1997 or so)

so basicaly.

if its between EK3 and CS1.go for a Vtec EK3

if its between EK3 and CS2 go for the CS2

This is just my opinopn. Good luck on your buy mate.

• Like 2

lancer CS2 is a good car it have more power than CS1 so it have more acceleration this will be most useful when overtaking other vehicles but when you comparing it with a civic EK3 civic EK3 v-tech it have more power so the acceleration is good and it handling is better and it will do more kmpl than lancer on the lancer CS2 side it is newer than ek3 and it's little bit more comfortable on the looks i think both of them looks good and bettor than most of the toyotas and nissans at there price range but as others said don't expect to find spare parts for them very cheap and very easily like for a toyota or a nissan.

Edited by nexus
  • Like 1

thanks all, you all gave a great support... i'm heading towards a CS2 cause i feel its a good choice ( not that EK3 is bad choice but i have change my mind towards a CS).. so i again thank u guys to helping me in making this decision... :) happy new year to u all..

I'm also having the same budget cap which is around 1.6 - 1.7 Mil and interested in CS1. I know that its lacking pulling power but need to know could that be a major problem for me as i have to travel to Hill Country (Bandarawela/ NuwaraEliya) from Colombo like once a month?

just FYI, in the daily run I'll be travelling in City traffic around 30 Km (from Maharagama to Borella).

Do you guys recommend it as a worth buy?

thanks all, you all gave a great support... i'm heading towards a CS2 cause i feel its a good choice ( not that EK3 is bad choice but i have change my mind towards a CS).. so i again thank u guys to helping me in making this decision... :) happy new year to u all..

Glad to be of assistance mate... Hope you'd find a quality ride for a reasonable price.. Best wishes for the new year and happy car hunting too.. :)

Cheers!!

I'm also having the same budget cap which is around 1.6 - 1.7 Mil and interested in CS1. I know that its lacking pulling power but need to know could that be a major problem for me as i have to travel to Hill Country (Bandarawela/ NuwaraEliya) from Colombo like once a month?

just FYI, in the daily run I'll be travelling in City traffic around 30 Km (from Maharagama to Borella).

Hi..

As i said before, it won’t cause you much trouble going up country. i've been to Riverston, Nuwara Eliya, Kandy etc... with three passengers and car full of baggage in my CS1. It’s not like car is gonna stall in the middle of the climb. But you gonna have to shift to 2nd or 1st and put the pedal to the metal on steep climbs.. You cant race up hill, and over taking is difficult too..

Next question, fuel consumption - up country it did between 10-12. City 10. Long distance flat roads - 14. In some long distance trips car gave wonderful fuel figures , but i'm not mentioning them here as it might seems as exaggerating or bluffing. Anyway, those are the average figures.

Since you are using it mostly in city traffic, your average fuel consumption would be around 10 kmpl. And mind you, its bit difficult to pickup from 2nd if the car is fully stopped, say in a color light.. So in heavy traffic, you gonna have to shift between 1st & 2nd a lot.. You might wanna consider that if you are not a fan of stick & three pedals..

This is my experience only.. Above depends on the driving style & Proper maintenance.

p.s i cant think of a better car for 1.7 mil than a CS1. maybe i'm biased :)

• Like 1

p.s i cant think of a better car for 1.7 mil than a CS1. maybe i'm biased :)

you are biased bro i can think 6 or more cars that are good than CS1. :P

i have driven both CS1 and Ek3 in hill country i have driven both of them in same roads after driving CS1 i felt like every thing is slow over taking is a very hard acceleration is not very good in hill even i had trouble putting it to my friends garage which is in a steep hill but i don't think you have same underpower problems in the city driving and in the same road CS1 only did 8kmpl when my Ek3 did 12kmpl so my advise is if you are focus on lancer CS try to find more money and go for a for a CS2 if not consider honda civic Ek3 vi toyota carina AT212 or lancer CK2 any ways good luck dude.

I tried calling few A/L advertised CS2 s but all of them seem to be having a GDI engine which is not encouraged as per most of the forum posts.

Can we find non-GDI CS2 s in Sri Lanka.

my next query, what does CS2A means and do we have any other CS2 variations?

Did a search but end up in negative side so appreciate your valuable information

Edited by s.madura

I tried calling few A/L advertised CS2 s but all of them seems to be having a GDI engine which is not encouraged as per most of the forum posts.

Can we find non-GDI CS2 s in Sri Lanka.

my next query, what does CS2A means and do we have any other CS2 variations?

Did a search but end up in negative side so appreciate your valuable information

The number after the letters "CS" refer to the type of engine that's on the car. According to my knowledge, the CS series came from CS1 to CS9 and each of those engine types were meant for a specific market across the globe. For Sri Lanka, only the CS1A and CS3A were supplied through UniMo as stated above. So if you see any other CS*A on the road, it's probably a JDM import.

The reason as to why most CS2A Lancers in Sri Lanka have GDI engines is because they were originally meant for domestic usage in Japan. However, I personally have come across a CS2A in Sri Lanka with an EFI engine. Finding one will be very difficult in my opinion.

For the price you spend on a CS2A, you could lay your hands on a CS3A (imported brand new) if you're lucky. This CS3A was spotted by a friend of mine and while we were on the way to inspect the car, another fellow had and made an advance payment and gone. I'm guessing it was just hours after the ad was placed on AL.

As for the discouragement on GDI engines, I can't say much about it because I have not used a vehicle with a GDI engine. From what I have heard, they're not as fuel efficient as EFI engines and require 95 octane or higher to run. Maybe someone who owns a GDI can be of assistance.

• Like 2

Thanks Davy for the prompt reply. Yeah CS3A seems to be a best bet specially seeing after above ad. Hope maintenance its not a big headache, isn't it? If I'm correct Davy, you are a CS3A owner and believe you can help me out here.

Note: Guys, really sorry for diverting subject from original topic to another one

Edited by s.madura

You’ll have zero problems as long as you do your routine maintenance on time. We’re talking about cars that have been beaten up for over 10 years on Sri Lankan roads, so you will have to take care of some wear and tear unless the car was just lying around during most of its time. I guess this is true for any vehicle of that age.

As for availability of spares, it’s the same story as the CS1 – you won’t have a problem. Exterior spares such as body panels and stuff can be sourced from Delkanda, Eur0nipp0n and places like that while I have been able to find all the mechanical parts I needed so far. Plus you can always go to UniMo, and they’re sure to have what you’re looking for.

If you’re worried about reliability, From my experience, the car has never let me down. (Touch wood :P) 4 years and counting…

• Like 4

What a wonder, this thread seems as if it was opened for me. I am also in the same situation, looking for a car below 2mil. I am stuck between the Civic KE3 with VTec & The CS2-Lancer / CS2A-Lancer Cedia. After all these comments from experts, I feel going for a Civic EK3 with Vtec would be better than the CS2.

Edited by aakyl4ever