• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Good Tyre Brand....!

abcjayasinghe

24 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

This is my tyre... does it need a replacement? All 4 tyres are like this... the alginments are never ok, and the alignment places told to replace tyre as it is worn off.. is it? if so how long can I run with these?

IMG_3180.JPG

Check the wear indicators on the tyres. From the photo it looks like they're worn or very close to needing replacement. 

Edited by Davy

23 minutes ago, trinity said:

My Goodyear tires after 13 months of usage. Roughly after 21,000 Kms.

I used Bridgestones before these and I must say that these ones are much better when compared to stones in terms of road noise, road grip and braking.  

Tire1.jpg

Tire2.jpg

so how long did the bridgestone last? 

So some who have used both says bridgestone is better, and some says good year is better... imaginations running riots now for me :D

Cannot comment on Good Year as I have not used them. Have briefly used Bridgestones on my previous ride before selling it and from that brief usage I can recall that it was good. However; I can definitely recommend Dunlop.

I was running on GT’s on my front which lasted for about 30K Km’s. But the road noise and roughness was always an issue for me. There was this annoying vibration which appeared whenever I hit the 100kmph mark on the highway that could not be diagnosed by anyone. But once I switched to Dunlop all the issues are gone. Maybe there was a manufacturing fault on the tires which resulted in the vibration.

Overall; my conclusion would be that all the above reputed brands would always do better than the cheap Chinese stuff (Definitely would do better than LING-LONG :D :D). and there won’t be much of a difference among them.

So; better to stick with one of those reputed brands and you won’t regret.

10 minutes ago, LashNeo said:

Cannot comment on Good Year as I have not used them. Have briefly used Bridgestones on my previous ride before selling it and from that brief usage I can recall that it was good. However; I can definitely recommend Dunlop.

I was running on GT’s on my front which lasted for about 30K Km’s. But the road noise and roughness was always an issue for me. There was this annoying vibration which appeared whenever I hit the 100kmph mark on the highway that could not be diagnosed by anyone. But once I switched to Dunlop all the issues are gone. Maybe there was a manufacturing fault on the tires which resulted in the vibration.

Overall; my conclusion would be that all the above reputed brands would always do better than the cheap Chinese stuff (Definitely would do better than LING-LONG :D :D). and there won’t be much of a difference among them.

So; better to stick with one of those reputed brands and you won’t regret.

Nice..

Anyone have experience with Michellin though? haven't heard much comments on it.. 

3 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

so how long did the bridgestone last? 

So some who have used both says bridgestone is better, and some says good year is better... imaginations running riots now for me :D

They lasted about 45k. Last 5k was not the optimum level to run, but i had to keep them cuz i was waiting to buy larger size tires for the new wheels.

I used Yokohama before the stones, they lasted  around 55k. Still my spare is one of those a Yokohama tires.I had Maxis when i bought the car.

For me , Good Year is serving better than the other 3 mentioned above.

8 hours ago, trinity said:

Can affirm that about the GoodYears. Pretty solid tyres, albeit now I'm hearing a bit of road noise. But not as much as the GT Radials I had earlier. Those damned things drowned even the radio. 

8 hours ago, trinity said:

They lasted about 45k. Last 5k was not the optimum level to run, but i had to keep them cuz i was waiting to buy larger size tires for the new wheels.

I used Yokohama before the stones, they lasted  around 55k. Still my spare is one of those a Yokohama tires.I had Maxis when i bought the car.

35 minutes ago, Sierra Charlie said:

Can affirm that about the GoodYears. Pretty solid tyres, albeit now I'm hearing a bit of road noise. But not as much as the GT Radials I had earlier. Those damned things drowned even the radio. 

Are Goodyears better than Yokohamas? I thought Yokos are better 'cause they're from Japan

The issue here is not with the brand, but with the type of tyre and the country of origin. Bridgestone for example has plants all over the world starting with Japan, Italy and now Indonesia and Thailand. I believe most tyre shops in Sri Lanka have Indonesian and Thai Bridgestones which are not even close to the ones from Japan. Same goes for other brands like Good Year, Dunlop etc. 

The type of tyre: we have the tendency to go for the cheapest tyre from a reputed brand, but that doesn't mean it'll be good. These eco tyres for example are not even close to a good set of performance tyres when it comes to grip and road noise. Performance tyres tend to wear a bit quicker IMO due to the softer compound used, so there is that. But the shorter lifetime doesn't mean the tyre us is bad because it is so much better than a cheap eco tyre. 

So my experience is that all of the aforementioned tyre brands are good (with the exception of LingLong of course :D). It's just that you need to be mindful of the type of tyre, country of origin and things like that when you purchase. I have used Indonesian Bridgestone tyres in the past and I now use Japan made Bridgestone POTENZA tyres on my car and the difference is quite apparent. When I got my car, the tyres all round were Korean made Kenda. They were half worn but didn't wear out fully in the next 20,000 km, so I changed them anyway to Bridgestone. I could not believe I was driving the same car. 

Edited by Davy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Davy said:

So my experience is that all of the aforementioned tyre brands are good (with the exception of LingLong of course :D). It's same car. 

haha... when i bought the car it already had linglong so i didnt have a choice :P

however i didn't know that a thing called road noise existed until i read this thread, because i don't notice such road noise kinda thing...when i accelerate all what I hear is the soft engine noise.. usually my radio volume is also 7 or 8... so after reading the thread i paid extra attention but still cant hear such noise... so maybe after i replace tyres i will check again and see about this noise you guys are talking about... 

1 hour ago, PreseaLover said:

haha... when i bought the car it already had linglong so i didnt have a choice :P

however i didn't know that a thing called road noise existed until i read this thread, because i don't notice such road noise kinda thing...when i accelerate all what I hear is the soft engine noise.. usually my radio volume is also 7 or 8... so after reading the thread i paid extra attention but still cant hear such noise... so maybe after i replace tyres i will check again and see about this noise you guys are talking about... 

You won't notice much on short drives, but go for a long drive on a good road or on the highway. You will hear a whoosh kind of constant noise, that's road noise. This constant noise gives fatigue on longer drives. 

Mostly the noise is air swirling around the tire and hitting the fenders. Through some clever tread patterns and materials higher end tires reduce this significantly. I noticed a massive difference between my Achilles tyres and Bridgestones. 

1 hour ago, PreseaLover said:

Time for some one to get their ears checked. :D

11 minutes ago, Quiet said:

Time for some one to get their ears checked. :D

my right ear hears less than the left ear anyway.. :D figured that out cuz my favourite ear to take keep the phone when i get a call is my left ear, cuz when i keep it in my right ear, i dont hear like how i hear in my left ear :D 

15 minutes ago, The Stig said:

You won't notice much on short drives, but go for a long drive on a good road or on the highway. You will hear a whoosh kind of constant noise, that's road noise. This constant noise gives fatigue on longer drives. 

Mostly the noise is air swirling around the tire and hitting the fenders. Through some clever tread patterns and materials higher end tires reduce this significantly. I noticed a massive difference between my Achilles tyres and Bridgestones. 

Ahhhhhh right right, now i get it 

1 hour ago, The Stig said:

Is this the road noise?

My Civic had a recent upgrade to Michelin Energy Saver, and I can feel a noticeable reduction in road noise,increase in cornering grip and ride comfort. Even the braking distance has improved by a good margin. My previous tires were Kumho KH17, and was similarly pleased at the time when I upgraded from GT Classiro.

However, I am noticing that the back is trying a wiggle out of control now with the Michelins than with the Kumho when cornering high speed or over gravel, and it is sometimes not encouraging (this could be due to worn shocks at the back too ?)..

when descending from Nuwara Eliya over bendy roads with a full load of 5 people however, the Michelins are fantastic, the grip feels like the car is on railsI purchased directly from the agents tyre mart in Wattala, and am very happy with their service, guarantee of 60k/5yrs and their pricing.

On 3/25/2017 at 8:54 AM, PreseaLover said:

went on a long driver yesterday and paid attention to the road noise.. my god its like a machine... hugeeeee noise

I still have  OEM Dunlops on my Honda Fit and it has quite a bit of road noise...however the model is a bit known for that 

On 29 March 2017 at 7:07 AM, rukmaldk said:

My Civic had a recent upgrade to Michelin Energy Saver, and I can feel a noticeable reduction in road noise,increase in cornering grip and ride comfort. Even the braking distance has improved by a good margin. My previous tires were Kumho KH17, and was similarly pleased at the time when I upgraded from GT Classiro.

However, I am noticing that the back is trying a wiggle out of control now with the Michelins than with the Kumho when cornering high speed or over gravel, and it is sometimes not encouraging (this could be due to worn shocks at the back too ?)..

when descending from Nuwara Eliya over bendy roads with a full load of 5 people however, the Michelins are fantastic, the grip feels like the car is on railsI purchased directly from the agents tyre mart in Wattala, and am very happy with their service, guarantee of 60k/5yrs and their pricing.

Just addding my two cents in the hope of giving out user experiences with tyres :

I have been running a pair of Bridgestone Ecopia EP200 in my Aqua at the front which have run about 15,000kms and a pair of Dunlop Fastresponse OEM Jap tyres at the back which has seen about 61,000kms already. I maintain correct air pressure on all tyres at 30psi and do alignments at every service

My verdict - 

EP200 (Thailand) - looks worn straight from the factory with a simple tread pattern, but very soft compound and road holding is good even during slightly wet weather. Very comfortable when going over potholes with them too. However I have heard that the tyres wear out faster at around 35ks, 

Fastresponse (Japan) - Tread Still looking good after 61ks and might go all the way to 80-100ks. I am quite scared to have them at the front as they are not that sure footed as the EP200s. This is very apparent when making a U turn in a gravelly area, the car would just slip and slide without much control at full lock, and I generally drive much slower when the service guys rotate tyres.

Michelin Energy saver (UK) - looks very nice on the car, grip is very good if not excellent on asphalt, back tyres slightly goes out of line when cornering on gravelly roads when not fully loaded (maybe due to bad shocks), braking is top notch, wet weather performance for safe driving is very good (I do not do stunts), tyres absorb a lot of road imperfections, and overall very satisfied with them. Warranty is also for 60,000kms if maintained right.

Kumho Solus KH17 (Korea) - ran for 47,000kms before switching to Michelins, overall was very pleased with them, though there are stories of failures of this model of tyre. Wet weather and dry grip is fantastic, comfort is very good though bumps and imperfections are more pronounced compared to the Michelins. price was on the high side for a medium budget tyre but generally happy with them

Edited by rukmaldk
  • Like 1