• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

I know quite a lot of us, including myself, have been talking about how Toyota is behind on the EV game and is borrowing stuff from the Chinese as Toyota were busy cloning their car lineup together with Chinese manufacturers with their EV systems...but it so happens that Toyota has been busy building their own stuff (which I am pretty sure there is a lot learnt from the Chinese). If you head on over to BlueNexus ; you will see a whole host of EV products under the eAxle section that ranges from power and drive systems for small city cars all the way to large and performance vechiles (some of htem ere already there...but a lot of the devices have been put up recently). It is the same with a lot of the Hybrid systems as well...

https://www.blue-nexus.co.jp/en/solution/eaxle/

What is BlueNexus ? It simple is Toyota's EV R&D company...granted it is not obvious because the company is run by Aisin and Denso and Toyota only has like 20 to 25 % direct stake in the company. However, considering Toyota owns like 51% of Aisin...and 25% of Denso (after Denso become independent) I would say Toyota has a lot more than 25% in Blue Nexus

Mazda 3 AWD 2.5L Turbo....its been a few weeks since the model was released back in the US and finally the reviews are starting to come out. Most of us were expecting a MazdaSpeed like hot hatch but it seems like Mazda delivered a premium hatch with extra oomph (which has gotten rid of the criticism of lethargy of the other variants). Apparently to get all 250hp you need to use Premium/High Oct fuel. With it the journos seem to have gotten a 0-100 time of around 6 seconds and when it was standard fuel it had done the sprint in the 7ish range.

Seems like a quick car...but not a hot sporty hatch.

Here is a review from RedLine reviews

Another from Driving Sports TV

Interesting drag race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0FovWeqzOA

17 hours ago, iRage said:

A teaser image of the new Outlander from Mitsubishi...they claimed the new model will be fully unveiled in February 2021...so...

The rear lights look very Audi/Lexusish noh ?

p_201210_m_5493.AKup_.jpg?_ga=2.210895510.240154826.1607394243-1244315503.1599829170

Should be based on the Rogue / X Trail right?

20 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Should be based on the Rogue / X Trail right?

Yes...but I think it is the other way around...the word is that Rogue/X-trail is based on the Mitsubishi platform as Mitsubishi already had it developed based on the Engelberg Tourer that was showcased last year. Apart from the Mitsubishi apparently will use Nissan's ICE power trains whilst Nissan will use Mitsubishi's EV power trains.

Some photos had been leaked (a few days ago) of what potentially the car is and I must say it has taken a lot of the Engelberg Tourer concept which is pretty cool.

2022-Mitsubishi-Outlander-SUV-white-Allcarnews-1001x565-1.jpg

2022-Mitsubishi-Outlander-SUV-white-Allcarnews-1001x565-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota US announced yesterday that it has finished design work of a one off model of the Supra titled Supra Sports Top. It is a homage to the A80 series T-Top and also has a rear wing that is reminiscent of the A80. Apparently the roof cutting process was a lot more difficult than anticipated. 

1591408.jpg1591152.jpg1591290.jpg1591289.jpg1591162.jpg

9 hours ago, iRage said:

Toyota US announced yesterday that it has finished design work of a one off model of the Supra titled Supra Sports Top. It is a homage to the A80 series T-Top and also has a rear wing that is reminiscent of the A80. Apparently the roof cutting process was a lot more difficult than anticipated. 

1591290.jpg

Wow it looks beautiful: I think I would lose the rear spoiler though. Looks just fine with just the duck tail IMO...

• 2 weeks later...

Take with a grain of salt...or more...

More suggestions that the revered Crown FR sedan will be tansformed in to a (Luxury ?) Crossover. There is no suggestion as to whether it will be a FR/AWD Crossover or the traditional FF/AWD which Toyota has a whole host of.  If it uses the GA-L platform then it will be a FR layout but that might not make that much sense. Images are just of renderings....(they are all hideous IMO and lacks the Crown luxurious look). Apaprently Toyota plans to re-globalise the Crown name plate once it goes Crossover (but why ? Isn't that what Lexus does ?). The Crossover change does also make sense with the Mirai on sale.

This also leads from a previous "Toyota" talk of how the GA-L TNGA platform (used in the Crown, Mirai, LS, LC) is not as versatile as Toyota had anticipated as it is difficult to adapt for narrow body vehicles (which the Crown and Lexus IS). Probably explains why a new IS is not slated until 2022/2023 (Lexus IS & GS, Toyota Crown & Mark X used to share the same platform and a lot of the mechanicals and the Mark X nd GS got cut of the model line up. 

Is this the death of the Toyota FR sedans as we know it ? Sad as it maybe...if the AWD systems are anything like the GR Four...then we will not miss FR sedans...
https://bestcarweb.jp/news/scoop/232041

Image may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: car and textImage may contain: car

• 2 weeks later...

Honda has been teasing images of the new Vezel over at their teaser site https://www.honda.co.jp/VEZEL/new/.

The actual design reveal is set for February. Seems like it will be carrying over the power trains from the new Fit. 

A few things to note:

1. The Vezel seems to be going a bit premium with options such as a panoramic roof and what seems to be additional speakers on the rear door to improve audio quality.

2. The hidden rear door handle is continued on to a sleeker and more raked C pillar. I wonder how this would effect cargo space. One thing the current Vezel had going for it was the practicality it offered with the better luggage space compared to the likes of the C-HR and Juke... 

E8AMlYWU4zGKe4isosZ0gb2D0DgzZwi7cGz3rEpAawbAuHGx-mOByAbbCyNTdrD8t5hZ3zR5wMb8oIDHSa_lVA63VSjnaQfWmTSofnRTzeFDrMZmH-rvfYw6zJ3Yu5sCdDLJD9zG7hYygxjr_Hw4AhSucVhNXEE-sJpWgX3l39zltaIOAt-oe6PI_OBcxeXdVv3HmeUg3MbkjQcYbFZ20g==E8AMlYWU4zGKe4isosZ0gb2D0DgzZwi7cGz3rEpAawbAuHGx-mOByAbbCyNTdrD8t5hZ3zR5wMb8oIDHSa_lVA63VSjnaQfWmTSofnRTzeF6zOzJm2kCafGZbfFZ4nDXRXemJL-tKJ-jKQSaYNjHSiEz1_yn2dW58gfxFrTG-w4s0R7Fg4lqAadbn4oPVZ7f8nUbrPTsB-QJ42VtBbxR6Q==E8AMlYWU4zGKe4isosZ0gb2D0DgzZwi7cGz3rEpAawbAuHGx-mOByAbbCyNTdrD8t5hZ3zR5wMb8oIDHSa_lVA63VSjnaQfWmTSofnRTzeEDlDaK8lPqH_ljFfx1yrCTg8c1J6MNsX2OdaiqF9dOp1oNfbfcJaaYm4BY9tiOkUUaSGRtk8SRJNA4GolX0v5x-28thN8_92BiExRZff7W6g==E8AMlYWU4zGKe4isosZ0gb2D0DgzZwi7cGz3rEpAawbAuHGx-mOByAbbCyNTdrD8t5hZ3zR5wMb8oIDHSa_lVA63VSjnaQfWmTSofnRTzeEe7T1_-dmGDrRNwL7IQG_zEmVGC564rh71I3ouWBHZwISGAwvgr94Xr_OowuvHoQan4VGjZY5jNdzmD8WX43Vh2XZds5tA8g9PSlvj7nEKpQ==E8AMlYWU4zGKe4isosZ0gb2D0DgzZwi7cGz3rEpAawbAuHGx-mOByAbbCyNTdrD8t5hZ3zR5wMb8oIDHSa_lVA63VSjnaQfWmTSofnRTzeGx-e467NRigMEjOY6lHjjoSufmwm7DIFl-pN1-tTvaSj_B-gRNRBBVmLFOOGLBGuJJMaHiAWenqCw125T1I07SzK_GZ-uh89ax5QJiiOesUA==

• 2 weeks later...

Suzuki Swace...

Why ? I don't know...most of Europe has the Corolla Touring wagon anyway and this is made right next to it...offered only in 1.8 Hybrid guise in two trims..

Why ? Well...I don't know..I suppose it is the typical "Toyota taking over" scenario.

But seriously....work on some proper names for crying out loud...Swace ? Really ?

Suzuki Swace

..and spy shots of the final production version (apparently) of the new Toyota Aygo....no proper details are available yet (except for some probabilities). Looks like it is taking a slightly muscular shape than the previous one and almost like a baby cross-over-mini and continues to take on some design ques from the Yaris.

Toyota Aygo next-generation prototype (scoop photo)Toyota Aygo next-generation prototype (scoop photo)Toyota Aygo next-generation prototype (scoop photo)Toyota Aygo next-generation prototype (scoop photo)

Interestingly yesterday Nissan did a online reveal for the new Nissan Pathfinder and the Nissan Frontier. Do believe they are both for the US market.

They both look good in my eyes and Nissan has ditched the CVT transmission for a 9 Speed Auto in the Pathfinder, and is seen returning back to the rugged looks.

https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2022-nissan-pathfinder-press-kit

Didn't have much time to go through the Frontier details yet.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/02/04/2022-nissan-frontier-debuts/

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota 4Runner Trail edition: But no off-road features? No skid plate, no crawl control, no terrain select, no rear lockers? But comes with a giant cooler and a slide out cargo tray (which is awesome! Wow, all SUV's should have that-the slide out tray, not the cooler- Such Genuis!) 

But really What the 🤔? What is this off-road focused body on frame good for without any off-road goodies? Makes no sense to me....Should be called the 4Runner Picnic edition, not the 4Runner Trial edition...

@kmeeg? Your thoughts ? 

(Loving the switch to All-LED lighting btw. Nice~!!)

Edited by Kavvz

3 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Toyota 4Runner Trail edition: But no off-road features? No skid plate, no crawl control, no terrain select, no rear lockers? But comes with a giant cooler and a slide out cargo tray (which is awesome! Wow, all SUV's should have that-the slide out tray, not the cooler- Such Genuis!) 

But really What the 🤔? What is this off-road focused body on frame good for without any off-road goodies? Makes no sense to me....Should be called the 4Runner Picnic edition, not the 4Runner Trial edition...

@kmeeg? Your thoughts ? 

Hey...show some respect to the fact that the Cooler comes in Cement color as standard !

The reality is...most of these are pavement princesses and when the owners of these pavement pricesses do go offroad, it will be along a gravel track to a kiddie park and football pitch. They will not want to spend the extra $$$ to buy the serious stuff the 10-15% of the actual offroaders would want but would want.

If I am not mistaken the Trail Edition is just a dressed up SR5 ?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, iRage said:

Hey...show some respect to the fact that the Cooler comes in Cement color as standard !

lol !! 😆

12 hours ago, iRage said:

The reality is...most of these are pavement princesses and when the owners of these pavement pricesses do go offroad, it will be along a gravel track to a kiddie park and football pitch. They will not want to spend the extra $$$ to buy the serious stuff the 10-15% of the actual offroaders would want but would want.

If I am not mistaken the Trail Edition is just a dressed up SR5 ?

Yes I believe you're just paying for a dressed up SR5! (Might as well just drop the pretense, buy the SR5 and save the money towards a nice couple of road trips! Although if its just for on-road use I question the value of getting a 4Runner in the first place! Might as well get a more comfortable CUV type vehicle...)

20 hours ago, Kavvz said:

@kmeeg? Your thoughts ? 

Ha haaa.. For sure should have called it TRD Picnic...😂😂

That is really bad naming convention for new buyers who talked to friends who have older Trail models with all the offroad goodies.

Thank goodness the new Trail model atleast have A-Trac & Downhill Assist from base SR5 models. Nowadays even I have trouble keeping track of all these models when my friends ask. 😂😂

And the pricing...!! That's the price I paid for TRD Offroad with more offroad tech than a Land cruiser 200.. Unbelievable.

As for LEDs I think its only LED low beams and Fogs are LED. High beam is halogen. Only higher trims get all LEDs.

image.png

Edited by kmeeg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Yes I believe you're just paying for a dressed up SR5! (Might as well just drop the pretense, buy the SR5 and save the money towards a nice couple of road trips! Although if its just for on-road use I question the value of getting a 4Runner in the first place! Might as well get a more comfortable CUV type vehicle...)

For the same reason people over in SL buy Prados, Pajeros, LC200s, etc....

but if one is just going to do road trips....vehicles like 4Runners and Prados still do have some benefit over a CUV or an estate wagon...these things do offer more space, so more gear for road trips (even if on road); their heavier body does reduce road fatigue on the body...again..these are the road going vesions...not the offroad ones with stiffer suspension.

7 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

That is really bad naming convention for new buyers who talked to friends who have older Trail models with all the offroad goodies.

Thank goodness the new Trail model atleast have A-Trac & Downhill Assist from base SR5 models. Nowadays even I have trouble keeping track of all these models when my friends ask.

Oh..this is nothing but the pencil pushes milking out every single dollar they can out of peoples' desire for vanity by using random words with the term "Limited" or "Edition"; or for the ulimate milk-out, both terms together. Toyota is the best at doing this...

1 minute ago, iRage said:

Oh..this is nothing but the pencil pushes milking out every single dollar they can out of peoples' desire for vanity by using random words with the term "Limited" or "Edition"; or for the ulimate milk-out, both terms together. Toyota is the best at doing this...

I wonder this Yakima roof basket and the cooler comes directly from Japan. I feel like they are installed at the regional port and ad $$$ to the price tag. Unlike the roof rack on TRD Pro this Yakima rack seems just bolted on to the regular cross bars..