• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

Whilst we have the pavement princess from Toyota itself; the Toyota=Arctic Truck collab put this out a few weeks ago..

The Hilux AT35...based on the Invincible X, the truck has a Bilstein's Performance suspension upgrade, which has lifted the vehicle and increased approach and departure angles.It also has a wider track. We have seen Actic Truck's work on Top Gear so there is no doubt this will actually do what it is supposed to do (albeit probably a softer vesion considering it is still expected to be practical on roads). The 2.8L 204hp diesel might not be enough for some people...but itis pretty toquey...so...

Toyota Hilux AT35Toyota Hilux AT35Toyota Hilux AT35

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, iRage said:

Whilst we have the pavement princess from Toyota itself; the Toyota=Arctic Truck collab put this out a few weeks ago..

The Hilux AT35...based on the Invincible X, the truck has a Bilstein's Performance suspension upgrade, which has lifted the vehicle and increased approach and departure angles.It also has a wider track. We have seen Actic Truck's work on Top Gear so there is no doubt this will actually do what it is supposed to do (albeit probably a softer vesion considering it is still expected to be practical on roads). The 2.8L 204hp diesel might not be enough for some people...but itis pretty toquey...so...

I'd love to have a 2.8 turbo diesel on mine for long travels for the fuel range. But for Arctic like temperatures I'm not sure if diesel is a good option. I feel much safer in a petrol engine.

That reminds me of my bucket list trip but my wife is highly against the plan. There are few videos of 4Runners doing it but this guy is special as he was traveling with his family (including his little daughter).

image.thumb.png.ed11b6e48d9a6ae219d13a04f91fff38.png

14 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

I wonder this Yakima roof basket and the cooler comes directly from Japan. I feel like they are installed at the regional port and ad $$$ to the price tag. Unlike the roof rack on TRD Pro this Yakima rack seems just bolted on to the regular cross bars..

Probably....would make more sense for them to order it through the YAKIMA agents in the US and have it installed during its pre-delivery prep. Or it might be a case of the roof rack actually coming uninstalled with the vehicle and then having it installed duing pre-delivery prep (this makes shipping prep a whole lot easier and safer fo the add-ons). At least that is what the manufacturers over here do....things like Modelista body kits and Roof racks are ordered seperately and installed at the dealer. Sometimes when the parts are delayed the dealer gives you the option of picking up the car without the add-ons and then install them when they arrive at a later stage.

Just a few days away from the reveal of the next gen Vezel (and the next gen Outlander); a few days ago patent renderings of the car emerged out of Europe....as the initial BestCar reports suggested it does seem like the Vezel has gone towards a more coupe'-ish style. The rendering does make it look like a Hyudai or a Kia (the front)

Honda Vezel next model patent image Honda Vezel next model patent image Honda Vezel Next Prototype Scoop PhotoHonda Vezel Next Prototype Scoop PhotoHonda Vezel Next Prototype Scoop PhotoHonda Vezel Next Prototype Scoop Photo

1 hour ago, kmeeg said:

I'd love to have a 2.8 turbo diesel on mine for long travels for the fuel range. But for Arctic like temperatures I'm not sure if diesel is a good option. I feel much safer in a petrol engine.

But a diesel might actually be more reliable as once you start a diesel (and don't shut it off) there's really little that can go wrong with it.  As long as there is fuel those things just keep running / chugging on. Petrol on the other hand - if you lose a spark plug or an ignition coil doesn't fire properly you could have issues...so assuming fuel supply (and air) is constant less to go wrong on a diesel I think? 

2 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Ha haaa.. For sure should have called it TRD Picnic...😂😂

😆🤣

2 hours ago, kmeeg said:

As for LEDs I think its only LED low beams and Fogs are LED. High beam is halogen. Only higher trims get all LEDs.

Oh really? Boo ! That sucks! 

8 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

But a diesel might actually be more reliable as once you start a diesel (and don't shut it off) there's really little that can go wrong with it.  As long as there is fuel those things just keep running / chugging on. Petrol on the other hand - if you lose a spark plug or an ignition coil doesn't fire properly you could have issues...so assuming fuel supply (and air) is constant less to go wrong on a diesel I think? 

The issue is diesel and really cold weather do not go well together...so when you reach subzero tempretures diesels have a tendency to turn jelly like. You need to aerosolize fuel fo it to get ignited (i.e. vapor gets ignited),so when the fuel becomes jelly like, getting vapor for combustion is an issue. Diesel vehicles have pre-heaters in diesel fuel lines (thus the need fo glow plugs...it is to heat up the diesel fuel so that it is at a a proper liquid state that can makes it easier to aerosolize). Now..there are ways to keep the diesel heated and to make diesels a bit more cold weather toleant.

- there are various technologies that extend beyond the glow plugs to pre-heat the diesel prior to combustion (buses, snow ploughs, etc..in severe winter areas and even military vehicles are designed as such). 

- one of the most common additives for diesels is cold flow impovers. With the addtive the diesel will not turn jelly unless the weather is really really really drastic (we are talking about a lot below 0).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, iRage said:

The issue is diesel and really cold weather do not go well together...so when you reach subzero tempretures diesels have a tendency to turn jelly like. You need to aerosolize fuel fo it to get ignited (i.e. vapor gets ignited),so when the fuel becomes jelly like, getting vapor for combustion is an issue. Diesel vehicles have pre-heaters in diesel fuel lines (thus the need fo glow plugs...it is to heat up the diesel fuel so that it is at a a proper liquid state that can makes it easier to aerosolize). Now..there are ways to keep the diesel heated and to make diesels a bit more cold weather toleant.

- there are various technologies that extend beyond the glow plugs to pre-heat the diesel prior to combustion (buses, snow ploughs, etc..in severe winter areas and even military vehicles are designed as such). 

- one of the most common additives for diesels is cold flow impovers. With the addtive the diesel will not turn jelly unless the weather is really really really drastic (we are talking about a lot below 0).

Ah! I see! Thanks for the clarification: I guess was thinking about diesel in the general sense and not factoring in really sub-zero conditions, and what they would do to the diesel fuel flow etc as you've clarified- Cool! You learn something everyday! Thanks @iRage

Mitsubishi Outlander Digital Reveal !

We have seen spy shots before but it is nice to see the car in all its glory.

It looks rather tough and pretty...seems like it will have a good road presence. One thing I hate about the current Outlander is its wierd proportions and fatty bottom. Thankfully the new one seems a lot better balanced in its propotions.

They are making a HUGE deal about all the class-leading tech they have put in it *12.3" digita meter display seems to be their favoite :D) as well as a usable 3rd row seat ! 

The interior looks pretty nice too....waiting for official pics now.

The Outlander is probably (well..IMO IS) the most significant vehicle in its lineup for Mitsubishi. Hope it works out...

https://www.amazon.com/adlp/mitsubishioutlander

May be an image of text that says 'ER LAUNCH SONY Jorge I'm Carrie Sch Wowww!! Diaz'

81cSLiFtHNL.jpg61T500b3x9L.jpg71H9FaLVFSL.jpg71OhUVGJwGL.jpg

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

Strangely that light grows on you. Kind of like Toyota and exus oversized gill like grills. (at least for me it did). The Delica D:5 and eKWagons have a similar thing...in those things it looks a lot better in reality than in the pics.

Watch the reveal video..it will give you some idea as to why Mitsubishi uses that in their current design language...it is partly human science (where humans natually tend to look and see when it comes to lights, and also about giving it a certain stance.

• Like 1

I think those lights are there to distinguish the Outlander from its sister the Rogue / X Trail. It helps to a certain extent since the dash and the shape of the vehicle along with the interior is the same as the Rogue / X Trail.

The grille does a lot of distinguishing it from the Nissan and harks to the older Outlander design.

2 hours ago, Gummybr said:

I think those lights are there to distinguish the Outlander from its sister the Rogue / X Trail.

Well....not really since it has been a part of Mitsubishis new design language for a few years now. 

The DRLs are put on top because othe drivers and pedestrians naturally would look at that "level"/"area" when they see an oncoming vehicle. Which is true...when you see an oncoming vehicle the first place you look at it towards the windscreen (to see who is approaching) and then you have to shift your eyes down to see any light. The headlight goes down because in a crossover/suv the high head light placement dazzles and blinds oncoming drivers (in shorter cars). This reduces that. So yeah..little things we never noticed that.

Yes..the Rogue/XTrail is the same...and so far it seems like the only differentiator is pretty much the external packaging and the tech bundles in it (although some are extensions of what Nissan had...and I am sure the Nissan will have some tech from what Mitsubishis have).

So far the US spec engine is the same as the Rogue's 2.5L gasoline....with a PHEV coming later. I have a feeling for most Asian markets it will be a 2L gasoline with the Japanese market having only a 2.5L PHEV. The PHEV might be introduced in some othe Asian markets too...so all in all...so far the engine and tansmisson offering has been somewhat dissapointing.

Now...lets see what happens on the 18th when we see the next generation jip that Lankans had wet dreams of with gold badging :D

11 hours ago, iRage said:

Well....not really since it has been a part of Mitsubishis new design language for a few years now. 

The DRLs are put on top because othe drivers and pedestrians naturally would look at that "level"/"area" when they see an oncoming vehicle. Which is true...when you see an oncoming vehicle the first place you look at it towards the windscreen (to see who is approaching) and then you have to shift your eyes down to see any light. The headlight goes down because in a crossover/suv the high head light placement dazzles and blinds oncoming drivers (in shorter cars). This reduces that. So yeah..little things we never noticed that.

Yes..the Rogue/XTrail is the same...and so far it seems like the only differentiator is pretty much the external packaging and the tech bundles in it (although some are extensions of what Nissan had...and I am sure the Nissan will have some tech from what Mitsubishis have).

So far the US spec engine is the same as the Rogue's 2.5L gasoline....with a PHEV coming later. I have a feeling for most Asian markets it will be a 2L gasoline with the Japanese market having only a 2.5L PHEV. The PHEV might be introduced in some othe Asian markets too...so all in all...so far the engine and tansmisson offering has been somewhat dissapointing.

Now...lets see what happens on the 18th when we see the next generation jip that Lankans had wet dreams of with gold badging :D

Yes thats more like the corporate Mitsubishi look. Nissan's would be on the same height as the DRL.

I think UK is not getting the Outlander, so Nissan will cater to UK market which has been their philosophy after the merger where one takes over a market it has a lot of presence and the other takes other markets. Hopefully it doesnt keep the awful CVT tranny. Maybe it could have the ePower system in the future now that Nissan is going to town on that.

The next gen jip with gold badges, dont think it will have the same market as the older model now that the local folks are scared of the dual clutch gearboxes and for the reason that it doesnt look like a jip anymore.😄

1 hour ago, Gummybr said:

Yes thats more like the corporate Mitsubishi look. Nissan's would be on the same height as the DRL.

Yes....with that design it owuld be really difficult to change the layout without doing up a completely different front end which Nissan has not done with the Rogue

I think UK is not getting the Outlander, so Nissan will cater to UK market which has been their philosophy after the merger where one takes over a market it has a lot of presence and the other takes other markets

Yes...except for certain markets...in Japan they are planning both but beliefe is that they will offer different featues so that they can fit at slightly different price levels and not really compete with each othe but compete.

Hopefully it doesnt keep the awful CVT tranny.

Well..hopefully the Nissan ones have gotten better because those transmissions have not been very good either. New ones are a bit better but still need to se how durable they are.

Maybe it could have the ePower system in the future now that Nissan is going to town on that.

Hard to say....they are putting a lot in to Mitsubishi's system and I thought I read somewhere that the Rogue will have the PHEV system from the Outlander. I think both of them have good systems that have their own merit...so perhaps they are working on something that is a composition of both ?

7 hours ago, iRage said:

Hard to say....they are putting a lot in to Mitsubishi's system and I thought I read somewhere that the Rogue will have the PHEV system from the Outlander. I think both of them have good systems that have their own merit...so perhaps they are working on something that is a composition of both ?

The Mitsubishi PiHEV system is supposed to be good, but I think the ePower system is better. It introduces the electric drive to masses without range anxiety. 

7 hours ago, iRage said:

First glimpses of the all new Vezel..

Goes on sale in April....seems to have the same power tains as the Fit (eHEV and Gasoline) in both FF and AWD form.

May be an image of carMay be an image of carMay be an image of 1 person and carinterior_img_01.jpg

As I said in my earlier reply on this, I think Honda has lost it with the front look. Could be wrong lets wait for the masses to decide

15 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

Nissan also unveiled the new Qashqai today making February 18th a day for crossover reveals..

I am a big Nissan fan, and I think this is way better than the HRV/Vezel in terms of design. As long as its an ePower with 190hp or the manual transmission, it would make sense.

The petrol would be the same engine found on the MB A, CLA and GLB. 

Standard 18 inch alloys and can go upto 20inch.

At last they are heading the right way.

First of the Lexus F Sport Performance Line

Finally got to see official images of the IS F Sport Performance (i.e IS500)
Nice to see a V8 back in an IS 💕

This is the first time a F Sport has gotten a performance upgrade making it more like an actual F. Thus the F Sport Performance I suppose. 

(All this time F Sports have been mainly cosmetic with minor suspension and chassis tweaks)

Screenshot_20210223-010241_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20210223-010249_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20210223-010319_YouTube.jpg