• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

Toyota Crown SUV ?
Last year there were rumors of the Crown sedan being replaced with a Crown SUV.

Well....Toyota China just registered the Crown Kluger SUV for sale in China.
Exact details are not known but it seems to be a Chiense market specific version of the Highlander.

What about the tradition Crown sedan ? Well...so far the SUV is just a Chinese market vehicle (and we know how manufacturers stick all kinds of badges on all types of cars over there). Will this be the replacement model for the JDM Crown sedan ? No news about that yet..

May be an image of car and roadMay be an image of car and outdoors

Yet another R35 GT-R...

As if we did not have enough already over the last 13 years....we are given yet another variant of the R35 GT-R...meet the 2022 GT-R NISMO and GT-R NISMO Special Edition.
Comes with 
- an exposed carbon fibre bonnet (which saves just 100g over the standard bonnet, but Nissan put it on there just to give it some raw spirit)
- improved internals pushing out 600hp and giving a thoatier sound
- Funky caliper colors and wheel trims plus some cosmetic enhancements
..and a special coor "Stealth Grey" is on offer.

Nissan engineers apparently looked back at the R34 GT-R V Spec II Nur for inspiration on wha more can be done with the R35 (I suppose the morale of the story here is....if you want to figure out more ways to skin a cat..look at some old cats 🙂 

Pricing is not revealed until August, but I feel it is a case of "if you have to ask..you cannot afford it".
BUT ! Those of us normal folks in Japan can get our hands on one ! McDonald's has partnered up with Nissan to offer 1/64 scale Tomica model with its Happy Meal sets ❤

May be an image of car and text that says 'र NISSAN Response.'May be an image of carMay be an image of carMay be an image of carMay be an image of car and text that says 'NISSAN'May be an image of carMay be an image of carMay be an image of carMay be an image of carMay be an image of carMay be an image of carMay be an image of car and text that says 'Response.'May be an image of toy and car

17 minutes ago, iRage said:

Nissan engineers apparently looked back at the R34 GT-R V Spec II Nur for inspiration on wha more can be done with the R35 (I suppose the morale of the story here is....if you want to figure out more ways to skin a cat..look at some old cats 🙂 

May be an image of car

Oh wow! Given what the R34 GT-R V Spec II Nur versions are going for these days I assume this edition will only appreciate if you are one of the lucky few who can get their hands on one...

5 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Oh wow! Given what the R34 GT-R V Spec II Nur versions are going for these days I assume this edition will only appreciate if you are one of the lucky few who can get their hands on one...

Somehow I doubt that dude, R34 GTR only was offered from 1998-2002, R35 GTR is running on its 13th year (offered since 2008) that's almost close to if not more than all the R34, R33 and R32 model years combined 😢

And only minor updates throughout the years :( 

PS: I'd still gladly have one though, I just don't think they're 'special' anymore, reasoning was the same Doug video on McLarens 

53 minutes ago, MaleCortana said:

R34 GTR only was offered from 1998-2002, R35 GTR is running on its 13th year (offered since 2008) that's almost close to if not more than all the R34, R33 and R32 model years combined 😢

Fair point, but rather than the regular model these special editions really hold value (and appreciate)...

But I certainly agree that the R35 platform was more mainstream and was the car that really bought 'Godzilla' to the masses globally. All the more reason everyone will want to own a special version of one as the production runs ends...

6 hours ago, MaleCortana said:

Somehow I doubt that dude, R34 GTR only was offered from 1998-2002, R35 GTR is running on its 13th year (offered since 2008) that's almost close to if not more than all the R34, R33 and R32 model years combined 😢

Well...it can go either way to be honest...yes the car has been running for 13 years and for those who are looking to buy a GTR...it really is not attractive anymore. Thus, the reason for all these special editions...Nissan just keeping the flame alive so that those who want one has something better and different than what was offered before. Now...although the car has been running for 13 years...I don't think at a global level there are that many cars. At the beginning the car was cost prohibitive (lets not forget the base R34 GTR was 4mil yen++ whist the R35 started at 7.5mil yen. Then after sometime..the car was too jaded compared to its competitors. So..as with the other skylines I do believe the car has huge potential to appreciate in value and become somewhat of a desired wheel (lets not forget...this would be the last gasoline powered V7 powered Skyline...proper AWD GTR. Thanks to eco regs the next generation is probably going to have some sort of electrification (Hybrid ?) and along with that..probably an e-four system as well. My personal view is that hey should just retire it and just focus on the Z...that is going to make everyone go crazy for this car and make it a cult classic.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, iRage said:

My personal view is that hey should just retire it and just focus on the Z...that is going to make everyone go crazy for this car....

Agree with everything above EXCEPT that Nissan should focus on the Z !! 😆 

The more I learn about the Z the more I don't like it !! The previous Z wasn't a big revenue generator for Nissan, nor was it much of a halo car for them. The current Z looks to be (in my opinion) even a worse seller.

I think Nissan needs to create itself a high performance CUV like the Macan or a very cool electrified halo car like the Taycan / Audi e-Tron GT etc to bring the street cred of brand up a bit...

17 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

The more I learn about the Z the more I don't like it !! The previous Z wasn't a big revenue generator for Nissan, nor was it much of a halo car for them. The current Z looks to be (in my opinion) even a worse seller.

Well...the reason I think they should focus on the Z is that is what they have right now...one thing Nissan has shown over the last 15 years is that they do not hav the capacity (mainly financial) to atually focus on putting out two sports cars and actually ding both of them justice. In the past they spread their attention and resource on two sports cars and did not do justice to either one. They let one sit around for 13 years...and the other they just kept it aorund for 10 with little to no major updates but just a few Limited editions.

The Z34 and the Z35 at the beginning were actually pretty nice cars that people wanted them. It is just that as a sports car, he people who buy sports cars would want something newer and not wait around for 10+ years with the same car. Nissan should definitely learn something from Toyota in this regard. So the Z and the Skyline are both victims of each other and Nissan's spread thin resources. (those who bought the Z when released simply went to other offerings.

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Well...the reason I think they should focus on the Z is that is what they have right now...one thing Nissan has shown over the last 15 years is that they do not hav the capacity (mainly financial) to atually focus on putting out two sports cars and actually ding both of them justice. In the past they spread their attention and resource on two sports cars and did not do justice to either one. They let one sit around for 13 years...

True.

And now their resources are even more stretched aren't they? Sad state of affairs at Nissan... Fingers crossed they get some good profits off their smaller CUVs so they can get the ball rolling again! 

9 hours ago, Kavvz said:

True.

And now their resources are even more stretched aren't they? Sad state of affairs at Nissan... Fingers crossed they get some good profits off their smaller CUVs so they can get the ball rolling again! 

Yes it is....but then now I beleive they have taken a bit more concervative and sensible approach with their partnerships by extending its platform/tech sharing and dividing up the market space. 

In Japan Nissan got some decent market share with the KIX (or however you write it)...but then soon lost to the Yaris Cross...the only model that has consistant market share for them in Japan is the Note...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kavvz said:

I think Nissan needs to create itself a high performance CUV like the Macan or a very cool electrified halo car like the Taycan / Audi e-Tron GT etc to bring the street cred of brand up a bit...

I believe that Nissan has all those models, Juke, Kix, X Trail, Dualis, Murano and on the other side not fully electric but a very good product like iRage mentioned in the Note ePower (there was an article where it states that it has achieved 53% thermal efficiency whereas the average is around 40%.) This engine they are pushing into most of their products now, including the Kix. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

In Japan Nissan got some decent market share with the KIX (or however you write it)...but then soon lost to the Yaris Cross...the only model that has consistant market share for them in Japan is the Note...

Once of the few entry level models that I liked:  kix / kicks looked really good and I thought Nissan judged the target market really well with that model...Too bad that Toyota one-upped them with the Yaris Cross!! 

How are the new Juke sales doing in Japan? That model looks like it might be a hit too? 

38 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

... Note ePower (there was an article where it states that it has achieved 53% thermal efficiency whereas the average is around 40%.) This engine they are pushing into most of their products now, including the Kix. 

Nice! I'm glad Nissan is quietly getting on track! Fingers crossed they get some success with that...🤞

Was disappointed thinking that the only decent product they had for 2021/2022 was the new Juke!!

(I like the Patrol / Armada too but that's just because I'm a sucker for it. Its a bit dated now isn't it and outside of the Middle East it doesnt seem to really have a strong market presence...) 

People always jump on the Toyota band wagon, but if you actually look at the previous Yaris you will see that the interior quality is appalling, compared to that the Micra and even the Juke Interior seems better. But I dont have any experience with the touch and feel of them. I dont know about the new Yaris though

7 hours ago, Kavvz said:

How are the new Juke sales doing in Japan?

The new Juke has not been introduced in Japan.They introduced the KICKS instead. There was talk that it would not be introduced as well..but nothing official.

The issue with Nissan in Japan is also the dealership. Compared to Toyota (who integrated all their different dealership lines and now every dealerhip line sells all the models) they simply do not have the service coverage. When people over here buy a brand new car everything is taken care of by the manufacturer's dealer so not having a decent span is to their disadvantage. Also, compared to the likes of Honda and Toyota..the Nissan dealerships feel rather dreary...the attitude is..."Here look..this is our car..would you like to buy it ? Please buy it we will try our best to keep you satisfied"...(comapred to Honda, Toyota and Subaru dealer's attitudes of..these are our amazing cars that have this and that and can do this and that....they are maginificent and we can take care of it even if you drive to the moon and back". the only time Nissan's attitude changed was with the Leaf and the Note and with the new Kicks. Only a few dealerships sell the GTR and even they are like..this is the GT-R...it was at the forefront of he Japanese sports car revival.....

29 minutes ago, iRage said:

The new Juke has not been introduced in Japan.They introduced the KICKS instead. There was talk that it would not be introduced as well..but nothing official.

The issue with Nissan in Japan is also the dealership. Compared to Toyota (who integrated all their different dealership lines and now every dealerhip line sells all the models) they simply do not have the service coverage. When people over here buy a brand new car everything is taken care of by the manufacturer's dealer so not having a decent span is to their disadvantage. Also, compared to the likes of Honda and Toyota..the Nissan dealerships feel rather dreary...the attitude is..."Here look..this is our car..would you like to buy it ? Please buy it we will try our best to keep you satisfied"...(comapred to Honda, Toyota and Subaru dealer's attitudes of..these are our amazing cars that have this and that and can do this and that....they are maginificent and we can take care of it even if you drive to the moon and back". the only time Nissan's attitude changed was with the Leaf and the Note and with the new Kicks. Only a few dealerships sell the GTR and even they are like..this is the GT-R...it was at the forefront of he Japanese sports car revival.....

Adey I would make a better sales person than those guys. I thought the Japs worked with a lot of heart specially with Nissan who has so much of history in Japan. I think even the government wanted to bail out Nissan.

Must forward my CV to them and see 🤪

1 hour ago, Gummybr said:

Adey I would make a better sales person than those guys. I thought the Japs worked with a lot of heart specially with Nissan who has so much of history in Japan.

The issue is they did not have much to work with. Would you be inspired to market anything that has not changed for a decade and a half....a product that has a failure which the manufacturer does not give a proper long term fix for ?

So..lets see if the post-G-Dude era will turn its tide.

13 hours ago, iRage said:

The issue is they did not have much to work with. Would you be inspired to market anything that has not changed for a decade and a half....a product that has a failure which the manufacturer does not give a proper long term fix for ?

So..lets see if the post-G-Dude era will turn its tide.

Even if its an old product, if you love what you are doing you will still be more energetic and wants you to succeed so in turn you pressure the top management and product development teams for something just like what Mr. Katayama did in the USA (thats an inspiring story for Nissan to go back to when they come to this stage)

1 hour ago, Gummybr said:

Even if its an old product, if you love what you are doing you will still be more energetic and wants you to succeed...

True. I've met two sales people so far in my interactions that were simply outstanding. One worked at a bank (banking relationship person) and the other was in car sales.

Amazing individuals,  super friendly, super high energy and you just could not say no to their sales pitch. Ended up saying no to the car sales guy and it felt like I had just back stabbed my best friend- Such was the sales interaction and the relationship the guy built up (in two visits!)...

It was truly spectacular to watch those two sales guys in action! 

On 4/17/2021 at 11:13 AM, Gummybr said:

Even if its an old product, if you love what you are doing you will still be more energetic and wants you to succeed so in turn you pressure the top management and product development teams for something just like what Mr. Katayama did in the USA (thats an inspiring story for Nissan to go back to when they come to this stage)

Could be..but then again....the management at Nissan was not very interested in building cars ere they ? They started the whole Renault-Nissan alliance off y pissing off the engineers and having them build transmissions and other components with plastics and other compounds with low thresholds...so the sales people simply had no way out or no way forward. Also...the Japanese are not like the stories you hear about people like K-san....the reality is Japanese stick to the hierarchy...speak only when beng asked to...saying anything out of line would be nailed back in. Nissan was and is no exception and CG being in there was not any different. In fact...despite stories of his heroism..there ae also stories about CG being a hard-a$$ and never wanting to take no to what he wants (in this case...reducing costs and improving profit).  Also, I beleive Nissan was (and is) cash strapped that they don't have much of a senior sales force. Until about 2010 you could go to Nissan showcases..where they ahd their best cars with pretty girls around it (you know..the type of girl you see and think she is too hot to know anything about cars...). You work up to the girl and you ask her anything about the car she would know EVERYTHING about it and the deisgn of it to the history of it. but now...the galleries are barely manned...and the girls hardly talk. So..yeah..not to mention the galleries are gone as well (apart for a few key ones).

As for the Micra/Juke interior comment...yes..they were better..had a better finish..as for touch and feel..well it was a mixed bag. SOme parts felt good..some parts just felt cheaper (than the Vitz).

As for the new Yaris...it is miles and miles better than the previous car....same goes with its handling and overall performance too. Much lively and much more feel to it. The interior feels nice. A little bit too dark though. The dash abd door panels have a decent mxture of hard and soft plastic. What I hate is that the hard plastic just feels too flimsy and leaves scuff marks for every damn thing because of the texture they created (especially the doors). In the standad Yaris scuffing the doors can be avoided but the GR with long long doors...that is a completely different story.

Nissan X-Trail
We finally get to see the X-Trail (global) variant of the Rogue...there isn't much of a difference.

Surprisngly only a 1.5L Variable Compression Turbo engine mated to a new CVT capable of higher torque was announced today, whilst there were some rumors and aniticaption for an e-Power variant. It is hoped that the ePower variant would be announced for the Japanese market later this year (during the Tokyo Motorshow which was to be held this year); which probaby would be the case as Nissan does tend to first launch (or restrict) the ePower to the Japanese market (first).

All-new-Nissan-X-Trail-for-Auto-Shanghai-2021-Photo-01.jpg?_ga=2.128334666.71706854.1618758403-1709417820.1613108437All-new-Nissan-X-Trail-for-Auto-Shanghai-2021-Photo-05.jpg?_ga=2.128334666.71706854.1618758403-1709417820.16131084372021 nissan x trailAll-new-Nissan-X-Trail-for-Auto-Shanghai-2021-Photo-09.jpg?_ga=2.98448345.71706854.1618758403-1709417820.1613108437

• Like 1

Toyota's BZ4x concept...EV crossover

After a few months of teasing...today also saw the reveal of the Toyota-Subaru joinly developed crossover (the AWD system has been jointly developed with Subaru...no idea why considering toyota has done its own with the Direct 4 (upcoming in Lexus) and GR-Four systems...)

BZ is apparently Toyota's vision of electrification and beyond and it seems there will be a whole host of vehicles that would be joinly developed with the likes of Suzuki, Daihatsu and BYD that would meet different market and segment needs.

May be an image of car and roadMay be an image of carMay be an image of car

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, iRage said:

Toyota's BZ4x concept...EV crossover

After a few months of teasing...today also saw the reveal of the Toyota-Subaru joinly developed crossover (the AWD system has been jointly developed with Subaru...no idea why considering toyota has done its own with the Direct 4 (upcoming in Lexus) and GR-Four systems...)

BZ is apparently Toyota's vision of electrification and beyond and it seems there will be a whole host of vehicles that would be joinly developed with the likes of Suzuki, Daihatsu and BYD that would meet different market and segment needs.

May be an image of car

Love the steering wheel